Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

Mindfullness And Safety Precautions To Keep In Mind - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Mindfullness And Safety Precautions To Keep In Mind (458 Views)

17 Things You Should Keep In Mind Everyday / To Guests: Few Things To Bear In Mind Before Joining Nairaland. / Safety Precautions With Snakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mindfullness And Safety Precautions To Keep In Mind by bubenwsou: 11:56pm On Mar 18, 2015
Over the past few weeks I have been in several conversations regarding security and safety threats in the ongoing pre-election phase in the country. I have never been a fan of publishing ill-news, but after the press release on http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/02/pre-election-violence-claims-58-in-22-states/ from the NHRC on the subject, I decided to publish an article on safety precautions when faced with real time mass-shooting or any related chaotic event.

So far, I have spoken with a few people who have been caught up in active-shooter incidents in the past couple of weeks and their responses to the events all seem instinctive. While it is good practice to follow ones instinct, there are certain precautions we must keep in mind in-case we find ourselves in similar occurrences.

After some research, here are a few tips from me and expert advice I found:

MINDFULNESS

Be aware of your immediate surrounding at all times. It's quite regular these days to see people bump into others while staring into their smartphone screens, an act I find myself guilty of sometimes. Being aware of our environment, observing people and actions around us don't only help us savor the awe of the present, they also increase our chances of detecting potential threats on time.

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor

"Always hold fast to the present. Every situation, indeed every moment, is of infinite value, for it is the representative of a whole eternity." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Always try to visually locate exit points whenever you walk into a building or room. This doesn't mean you should be paranoid, just try as much as possible to be mindful of your environment.

RESPOND

In An Active Shooter Situation, The Obvious Option Here Would Be To Run. While You Are At It, Here Are A Few Things To Keep In Mind:

1. If you can see the shooter, he can see you. Bend on your knees and evacuate from the premises as quick as possible through a clear exit route.
2. Leave your personal belongings behind if they would slow you down or get you noticed.
3. Follow the instructions of security personnels, and remember to keep your hands visible to avoid being mistaken for an assailant.

Now In A Scenario Where You Are Unable To Evacuate The Area Safely, The Best Option Is To Locate A Hide-Out, Switch Off All Mobile Gadgets, Lie Flat on the Floor And Remain Quiet. Make Sure Your Hiding Place:

1. Can protect you from fired shots in your direction,
2. Does not restrict your options for movement.

If You Are Unable To Shield Yourself From The Shooter, The Last Resort Here Would Be To Use Active Force To Protect Yourself. Engage The Assailant With Any Weapon You Can Find, Buy As Much Time As You Can Until Security Personnels Arrive. But Remember, You Are Not One Of The Characters In A Hollywood Action Movie, This Is A Real Life Situation And You Should Only Do This If Your Life Is In Great Danger.

Keeping yourself safe at all times is a primary objective in your daily life. While I pray for your total safety and wellness today and always, remain positive in your daily thoughts and share this message with your friends and family. May you never need it.

Review more Self-help content at www.bubenwosu.com/blog
Re: Mindfullness And Safety Precautions To Keep In Mind by richol(m): 12:03am On Mar 19, 2015
JUST INCASE ANYTHING HAPPENS

I WAS HERE
Re: Mindfullness And Safety Precautions To Keep In Mind by Baba419(m): 2:56am On Mar 19, 2015
Tell this to our brothers in borno state tongue

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of The Best Laboratory Any College Of Nursing Could Afford / DSS Detains PVC Supplier, Demands Encryption Code-apc / Common Mistakes Jobseekers Do When Writing A CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.