Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,655 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? (782 Views)

Google Adsense Now Bans Specific Blog Pages Instead Of Sites - 2017 New Policy / Why Do Most Nigerians Use Instead Of The Alternatives? / How To Change Default Wapka Favicon, Create Customize Yours Like Galant9ja.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by Lastdon02(m): 7:38am On Mar 21, 2015
have been wondring why most template and website favicon comes with .ico even tho .png,gif,jpg can work instead ?
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by micodon(m): 8:03am On Mar 21, 2015
why is .html used for html files?
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by Nobody: 8:06am On Mar 21, 2015
micodon:
why is .html used for html files?
nice answer

1 Like

Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by seunoni34(m): 8:48am On Mar 21, 2015
Lastdon02:
have been wondring why most template and website favicon comes with .ico even tho .png,gif,jpg can work instead ?
YOU can use other formats now. I use .png files and it works perfectly. Haven't you seen sites that use animated gifs as favicon brfore6?
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by onyengbu: 9:44am On Mar 21, 2015
pureguide:
nice answer
not a nice answer. His answer suggests that .ico files are exclusively required for favicons which is incorrect:

1 Like

Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 21, 2015
onyengbu:
not a nice answer. His answer suggests that .ico files are exclusively required for favicons which is incorrect:
bad quote

2 Likes

Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by micodon(m): 11:37am On Mar 21, 2015
onyengbu:

is .html exclusively required for html files? Read inbetween the lines before you attack someone.
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by onyengbu: 11:49am On Mar 21, 2015
micodon:

is .html exclusively required for html files? Read inbetween the lines before you attack someone.
First your definition of 'attack' appears to be warped. Secondary, what other files have .html extension.
I honestly need to learn this one. I am not 'attacking' this time.
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by micodon(m): 11:54am On Mar 21, 2015
onyengbu:
First your definition of 'attack' appears to be warped. Secondary, what other files have .html extension.
I honestly need to learn this one. I am not 'attacking' this time.

there's the .htm format. Server side language parsers process their respective language scripts and spit out html. understood why i asked that rhetorical question yet?
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by onyengbu: 12:17pm On Mar 21, 2015
micodon:

there's the .htm format. Server side language parsers process their respective language scripts and spit out html. understood why i asked that rhetorical question yet?
There seems to be some misunderstanding here sir. I asked what other 'files' uses .html extension because you I thought you made me believe there is. We were neither talking about .htm nor talking about what any sever 'spits' out because that would be talking about a whole new extension or raising a question of whether what exactly servers 'spit' out.I seriously do not intend to continue the discuss as it will amout to a complete waste of time and unnecessary show of idiocy or superiority of knowledge.
Forgive if I came accross as have attacked someone. I did not.
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by cyrielo(m): 12:35pm On Mar 21, 2015
Simple answer .ico is the recommended image format.

1 Like

Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by micodon(m): 1:03pm On Mar 21, 2015
cyrielo:
Simple answer .ico is the recommended image format.
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by Lastdon02(m): 8:23pm On Mar 22, 2015
lol nairaland Mods abi na spam bot ni them ban me for 2days watin i una self?
Re: Why Is .ico Used For Favicon Instead Of Other Formats? by cbrass(m): 11:45pm On Mar 22, 2015
It's the extension of the image created with that platform so it will carry it's own extension and not another image extension . It's just like writing a code in PHP and now asking why it wasnt in .js extension, you can see that it doesn't make sense

(1) (Reply)

How To Uncover The Technologies Used In Any Website / How I Achieved Number 1 Ranking In Google Search. / How To Get Adquet Ad Code And Place It On Blogger And Wordpress Blogs. Video Inc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.