Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,721 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:57 AM

We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) (5134 Views)

A Touching Story From A Taxi Driver You'll Never Forget / A Touching, Inspiring Story I Found On Naijastories This Morning! / We Are Able (A Touching Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by stuff46(m): 10:22am On Apr 06, 2015
Nice updates there.

I noticed you dont space the work at the end of each conversation or writing. It somehow makes the work unimpressing you know. For now thats all i could notice.

Keep on the work

1 Like

Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by Nobody: 11:04am On Apr 06, 2015
stuff46:
Nice updates there.

I noticed you dont space the work at the end of each conversation or writing. It somehow makes the work unimpressing you know. For now thats all i could notice.

Keep on the work

Thanks so much
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by bollyano(f): 11:42pm On Apr 06, 2015
Sammy hoe, I am following, well-done.
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 07, 2015
CHAPTER ELEVEN

Toyosi came one weekend. She wanted me to begin teaching her sign language. I became glad and began to teach her with immediate effect. She would write whatever she needed to know on paper and I would make effort to demonstrate it to her in sign language.

My father John hadn’t changed for good. I kept wondering why one’s biological father could deny one in such manner. If he didn’t want me why then did he get my mother impregnated and then made me come to existence? He should have aborted my pregnancy while I was in the womb, I thought.

“Mother, why is this man still like before?” I asked my mother.

“He will change,” mother replied. “Let’s just keep trusting God and praying to him to touch the heart of your father. The Lord who touched the heart of Bode’s mother will surely touch his heart too,” she said.

“Amen,” I replied.
Toyosi came around at another weekend. She was furious when she saw Bode in the act of bully. If not for the fact that I had permanently jettisoned the act of revenge, I would have torn him apart. Toyosi came in time, just when Bode gave my nape a hard slap, having a leaf between his lips to mock me. I had turned my neck upon my knee, gnashing my teeth. The way Bode behaved really depicted the fact that he wasn’t a bastard—I mean to say that he was my father’s child indeed, because that way exactly must have been my father’s way of life in his childhood too—wicked ways.

I could read Toyosi’s lips. She was screaming at her son. She rushed towards him and caught him by the left arm. The rest was a story—she beat him black and blue.

“Sorry young girl,” she said to me in sign language.

“Thank you,” I replied her, raising my face again.

Toyosi wrote a note. She wanted me to teach her how to spell her name ‘Toyosi’ in sign language. If she had learnt the alphabets very well, she would have been able to do that easily.

I demonstrated the spelling of her name in sign language. She was glad. She opened her bag and gave me some confectioneries she had bought. She had also bought some fried rice in an eatery. She gave me a bottle of orange juice. I gulped it down without care. It wasn’t the first time I would be collecting gifts from her.

Toyosi watched as I gulped the juice. She began to caress my hair. She spoke to me in the little sign language she had learnt. Then, she wrote another note, asking me to spell my own name for her in sign language too.

“My name is very simple…,” I said. There was a knock at the door.

Toyosi hasted to open the door for the knocker. Rachael my aunty came in. The look on her face was rather outlandish. I wondered what had happened to her.

“Welcome ma,” I said.

“Thank you Rose,” she replied faintly in sign language. She saw the juice half-drunken on the table and frowned.

Toyosi went before her and genuflected for her to pay her some respect.
“Stand up my wife,” she helped to raise her up. “Where is my sister?” Rachael asked me in sign language.

“My mummy has gone to the market,” I replied.

“Your father, what about him?”

“He’s gone to work,” I replied.

“Does he work every day?”

“Yes, except on Sundays,” I replied.

“Okay, I’ll wait for your mummy anyway,” she said.

“She’ll soon be back,” I said.

Toyosi was just beaming at us. She didn’t understand much of what we were communicating since she wasn’t vast in sign language yet. She seemed to be uncomfortable with my aunt’s presence, perhaps because of the halt to the sign language I was teaching her. I could see her speaking to my aunt. She must be bidding her goodbye, going by the way she was rising up, her shiny cerise bag hung to her left shoulder. She had a vignette on her neck which was the spot on her body that had become a cynosure of my aunt’s eyes since she came in.

Just when she was up, Bode rushed in again and gave me a bite on my right shoulder. Toyosi swiftly grabbed him before he could escape and beat him silly. Bode wept bitterly. The noise of his cry was surely ear-splitting, going by the manner some grotesque had formed around the faces of the two women—Toyosi and my aunt. Toyosi twisted his arm and pinched him. The story of his face was all about tears for the space of ten minutes after, even when his mother had left. He was insulting me, but since I couldn’t hear him, I wasn’t affected a bit. To make me affected, Bode poked the leaf into his mouth again. I wasn’t bothered this time around.
As soon as Toyosi left the house, Rachael swiftly drew close to me.

“Rose, who drank that juice halfway?” she asked in a critical manner.

“Me,” I said.

“You?” she frowned. “Have I not told you that you shouldn’t collect anything from her anymore?”

“Ahn ahn, aunty, why? Why don’t you want me…?”

“Hey! Rose! You are very stubborn. The last time you came to my house, remember I told you that you shouldn’t trust someone so much. Why are you so much trusting that Toyosi can’t harm you? I’m saying it again, don’t take anything from Toyosi. I mean that woman should not be trusted too soon!”

I bowed my head in cogitation. Who should I follow, my mother or my aunt? My mother was the one who asked me to be free with Toyosi because it was only through her that we could actually get the favour of my dad. If not for Toyosi who came to fetch us from our refuge the other time, perhaps my mother would still be staying out of wedlock till now.

“But…but mother asked me to be free with her!” I replied. My hands shook as I spoke.

“Hannah asked you to be free with her?” Rachael said as if it was a serious issue. “Let her come and I’ll challenge her about that.” The door began to open. It was my mother.

“You are truly the daughter of our father,” my aunty said as my mother got in.

“Why d’you say so?”

“We’re just talking about you Hannah,” Rachael smiled. She was beautiful in her own way. Her mouth was shaped in that oval Terminalia catappa-like fruit shape. A round little black spot stood out beside her nose. That was what some of my mates called ‘Sign of God’.

“Gossipers,” my mother said jokingly in smiles.

“Why don’t you hear us before judging us?” she said. “Em…by the way, did you meet Toyosi on your way coming?

“I didn’t meet her, was she here?”

“Yes…she just left,” we said.

“Oh, Toyosi, I wished to see her,” my mother was sad. She had so much loved her now. Since our reconciliation with my dad, Toyosi had been helpful in the area of helping us get things done. She was the one who involved my daddy in registering me for Secondary Education I would be commencing next month. If not for her support in convincing my dad to do that, John wouldn’t have bothered paying.

“Was she the one who brought you these things?” my mother asked and I replied, “Yes.”

“God will bless her mightily. Whatever she lays her hands upon shall prosper,” my mother prayed for her in her amateur sign language. I had to correct some of her misspoken words. At that juncture, she noticed the look on Rachael’s face.

“Rachael what’s the matter? Why is your face like this?”

Rachael spoke. She said she was suspicious of Toyosi’s sudden moves.

“Prophetess you have come again,” my mummy was laughing. “It is you who said that my husband will receive me back; it happened through Toyosi, now you are doubting the motive of the person God used to bring the reconciliation.”

“Just be careful of her, that’s all I have to say,” Rachael said soberly.

“Okay o, we have heard you,” my mother replied and made up a stiff neck. She moved her nose in a mocking way.

“Well, Hannah, just be careful.”

Rachael saw the notes Toyosi had written. She read them out. Thereafter, she asked, “Did she ask you to gesture her name in the sign language?” she asked.

“Yes, I replied!”

Rachael spotted the note in which she was asking me to demonstrate my own name too.

“Did she also ask you to demonstrate your own name?” Rachael asked fast. Her face was folded up in fright.

“Yes she did and…”

“What? Did you do it?” Rachael grabbed my arms in fright.

“I—I haven’t,” I said. “I was about to say it when you came in.”

“Hurgh,” she sighed in relief and sank to her chair.

“Don’t you dare tell her your name, Rose!” she said.

“Why?” my mother and I asked. She couldn’t say a word. A horrible look was glommed to her gloomy face. Mother and I laughed at her.
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by lenmafon: 8:04am On Apr 08, 2015
gudmorning sammyhoe, longest time. i was wondering why u brought the story back here and even starting from the beginning. hope all is well? pls correct the line where Hannah called rose and her aunt 'gossipers' it should be "gossips" cos there's no english word like 'gossipers'. hope u dont mind. undecided
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 08, 2015
lenmafon:
gudmorning sammyhoe, longest time. i was wondering why u brought the story back here and even starting from the beginning. hope all is well? pls correct the line where Hannah called rose and her aunt 'gossipers' it should be "gossips" cos there's no english word like 'gossipers'. hope u dont mind. undecided

Hmm. Thanks so much. I'll check it out immediately.
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by lenmafon: 9:37am On Apr 08, 2015
oga sammy i'll point out all the errors i decover when am on my laptop pls. hope u'll bd patient with me?
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by bigwig97(m): 7:43am On Apr 09, 2015
Hey sammyhoe and other readers, ghost readers inclusive.

You have a nice story here.
But i noticed errors in chapter 8 and 9. You used present tenses when you were meant to use past tenses in most aspects of the two chapters.

I will try to maybe edit it later in the day if I'm chanced.
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by lenmafon: 11:40am On Apr 09, 2015
SammyHoe:
Edit Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE

They understood each other—[b]it’s only we, the special one[/b]so called, who couldn’t understand them.
"You are able, Rose," mother said.

hi sammyhoe, 'it’s only we, the special one' should be '... we, the special ones.....'. you are good to go in chapter two.
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by lenmafon: 11:59am On Apr 09, 2015
SammyHoe:
Edit this
Chapter Five

"But aunty, why can't you be staying here with us [/b]so that that woman on wheelchair will not ill-treat me?"

When mother shared the experience with me, I wept sore and began to hate little Bode and his mother. How could they say such a thing? I will teach him a lesson of his life. Bode must become dumb like myself, I thought.

[b]I put a knife on fire and poured some red oil. I was going to push that knife down his throat. He would lose his voice forever, just like me.

Am I the one this small boy is calling a herbivore? I thought. The boy laughed and ran about when I wanted to catch him to deal with him. I wondered who thought this boy to be so heartless. Despite how my mother cared for him, he still did this to me. Why?

hello sammyhoe, hope you don't mind undecided

1. ...'why can't you be staying here with us' should be '..why can't you stay here with us...'

2. When mother shared the experience with me, I wept sore and began to hate little Bode and his mother. How could they say such a thing? I will teach him a lesson of his life. Bode must become dumb like myself, I thought. I put a knife on fire and poured some red oil. I was going to push that knife down his throat. He would lose his voice forever, just like me..
i think the bolded part should be 'I will put a knife on fire and pour some red oil oil and then push the knife down his throat....' and it should be a continuation of Rose's thought of what she plans to do to Bode, not a new paragraph.

3. 'I wondered who thought this boy...' should be 'I wondered who taught this boy....'

hope i've been able to help. wink
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by lenmafon: 12:15pm On Apr 09, 2015
SammyHoe:

CHAPTER EIGHT
My aunt and my mother are still in the euphoria of the great thing God did for us, even three days after the dream I had. Now I have begun to see that some advantages can be in being disabled. Well, I still don't fully agree to it anyway. But that woman I see in the dream calling my name, I have never seen her in real life before. Who can she be? I wonder. Rachael soon began to pester my mother to return to my father.

I come into the issue: "Aunty Rachael, daddy doesn't want us anymore, don't you understand? He used his own hands to throw our loads out of the house. Even if we beg him, he won't agree for us to return," I say. I wait[s][/s] for her to say something. Her throat is dancing to the gulp of the water passing through it. She[b] is[/b] drinking water in a glass cup. Aunty bangs the tumbler against the table and says, "Rose, it's not true, your daddy will accept you, at least you know that it is not possible to chase a bad child away for a tiger to tear apart. Just humbly go to him and kneel down before him, then he will take you back."

When I look into her face she seems ageing. I rush to her. "Mother, don't think too much, you are ageing rapidly," I say. "Ageing?" she manages to ask in smiles. "I am not aging my daughter."

1. '....I come into the issue' should be 'I came into the issue'

2. 'I wait for her...' should be 'I waited for her...'

3. 'Her throat is dancing to the gulp of the water passing through it. She[b] is[/b] drinking water...' the bolded words should be '... was dancing...' and '...was drinking water...'

4 'When I look into her face she seems ageing. should be '... seems to be aging...'
'I rush to her. "Mother, don't think too much, you are ageing rapidly," I say. "Ageing?" she manages to ask in smiles.' The 'ageing' should be spelt 'aging' instead of 'ageing'

will get back to you on the remaining chapters. so far so good, you are able!.
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 09, 2015
lenmafon:

1. '....I come into the issue' should be 'I came into the issue'

2. 'I wait for her...' should be 'I waited for her...'

3. 'Her throat is dancing to the gulp of the water passing through it. She[b] is[/b] drinking water...' the bolded words should be '... was dancing...' and '...was drinking water...'

4 'When I look into her face she seems ageing. should be '... seems to be aging...'
'I rush to her. "Mother, don't think too much, you are ageing rapidly," I say. "Ageing?" she manages to ask in smiles.' The 'ageing' should be spelt 'aging' instead of 'ageing'

will get back to you on the remaining chapters. so far so good, you are able!.

thanks
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by Emanuel1997: 8:31pm On Apr 09, 2015
sammy hoe am not able to connect to d ebiag website anymore wats happening [color=#990000][/color]
Re: We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) by JummyGee: 12:24pm On Jul 15, 2016
@tinupops

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toke Makinwa's On Becoming E-book For Free For Five Nairalanders / To Authors: You're Attracting Anti Spambot / Mine Not Yours By Toyin Taiwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.