Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Does Telling The Truth Really Help? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Telling The Truth Really Help? (1207 Views)

They Leave Me The Moment I Tell Them My Story. Should I Hide The Truth? / Man Dies In Aba Hotel After Telling Wife He Was On A Business Trip To Umuahia / I Feel Like Telling My Mother-in-law To Get Lost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 4:54am On Mar 22, 2015
Why does it seem to me like telling the truth never really helps in any situation? It's been my experience that when I tell the truth about a situation, where i could have obviously and easily lied, I end up being the fall guy, the loser. In these same situations I could have lied and gotten away with it easily. Yet, I manage to tell the truth and people never cut me a slack on the error I might have committed. Do i just go with convenient lies? I really need answers.

This happens all the time, but here is a case in point.
Case in point: I was supposed to do A & B. I did A very well and only did some part of B. Now, my boss wanted something from B. Since I only did part, I didn't have what he wanted immediately. But I could actually still get the same thing from that part I did, only it will take longer. I told my boss outright the situation. And he goes bezerk. Oga, cool down, okay I admit I didn't do a complete B, but I can still get you what you want. I could have lied that I did a complete B and still get you what you want. Yet, oga no calm down. Isn't this just unfair?? sad undecided

1 Like

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 5:26am On Mar 22, 2015
Telling the truth helps, especially in the long term. People will trust you and your words will always hold water cos they know you speak the truth. Your Boss might not say it, but he will trust you tell him things, cos he knows you tell him the truth even in difficult situations. However not everyone appreciates the truth. Some persons will abuse the truth you told them and use it to hurt you. Such persons do not deserve to be told the truth. In such a case you don't need to lie, just don't give then the info they seek. You could tell them, you don't want to talk about or its personal or confidential.

As for your boss going berserk, that's the way of the bosses, so u should get used to it.

4 Likes

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by eleko1: 5:27am On Mar 22, 2015
Truth outlay the sun.Kip doing good/say the truth,ur truth will surely distinguish/establish U.
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Mynd44: 5:34am On Mar 22, 2015
Sometimes, you dont have to tell the truth or lie.

Just say you will rather not talk or get involved.

1 Like

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Woged2005(f): 5:44am On Mar 22, 2015
There's a common sense rule in everything. Even Abram told a king lie that Sarah was not his wife in order to save his life. There's another place in the bible a lady told lies to save the life of Israelite spies. If a pregnant woman with her 3 little kids ran into your house pursued by a band of 30 religious fanatics wielding knives and clubs to kill them during a religious riot. The fanatics came to your door and asked you if you know where the woman and her kids ran to? You know they are hiding under a bed in your house, will you tell the truth and have them slaughtered?

There's a commonsense rule. But being a chronic liar to, cheat, deceive and have your way all the time is outright bad.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by dhardline(m): 6:58am On Mar 22, 2015
Dont stop saying the truth.Ever

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by MizMyColi(f): 7:13am On Mar 22, 2015
There are circumstances, where I've unwittingly lied.
It feels like I lost a part of me.

Actually, it pays, in the grand scheme of things.
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Tallesty1(m): 7:15am On Mar 22, 2015
Yes
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Infomizer(m): 7:36am On Mar 22, 2015
Woged2005:
There's a common sense rule in everything. Even Abram told a king lie that Sarah was not his wife in order to save his life. There's another place in the bible a lady told lies to save the life of Israelite spies. If a pregnant woman with her 3 little kids ran into your house pursued by a band of 30 religious fanatics wielding knives and clubs to kill them during a religious riot. The fanatics came to your door and asked you if you know where the woman and her kids ran to? You know they are hiding under a bed in your house, will you tell the truth and have them slaughtered?

There's a commonsense rule. But being a chronic liar to, cheat, deceive and have your way all the time is outright bad.

Touché.
Say what will bring the utmost good to the highest number of persons. #TeamUtilitarianism

3 Likes

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by MizMyColi(f): 7:41am On Mar 22, 2015
smiley
Infomizer:

Touché.
Say what will bring the utmost good to the highest number of persons. #TeamUtilitarianism
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 22, 2015
Diplomacy is an essential ingredient for success . Guess what , diplomacy is the legal version of lie .
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Woged2005(f): 1:51pm On Mar 22, 2015
Infomizer:

Touché.

absolutely right. It's actually an economic theory...."...best economic policy is that which leaves more people better off"
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Infomizer(m): 3:26pm On Mar 22, 2015
Woged2005:

absolutely right. It's actually an economic theory...."...best economic policy is that which leaves more people better off"
Tor, shikaina!
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by crackhaus: 5:41pm On Mar 22, 2015
Woged2005:

The problem with this is there are people who have deluded themselves into believing that anytime they tell a lie, it's for a good cause.

2 Likes

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by freecocoa(f): 6:03pm On Mar 22, 2015
I've found myself in situations where I've had to ask same question, but eventually, I came to the conclusion that it's best to tell the truth.

A lie can get you out of a temporary situation alright, but the problem with lies is that, you will always have to keep lying to cover one lie or the other, in the end, the truth usually comes out and it's never funny when this happens.

1 Like

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 22, 2015
freecocoa:
I've found myself in situations where I've had to ask same question, but eventually, I came to the conclusion that it's best to tell the truth.

A lie can get you out of a temporary situation alright, but the problem with lies is that, you will always have to keep lying to cover one lie or the other, in the end, the truth usually comes out and it's never funny when this happens.
Exactly!
A lie will only get you out of a temporary situation and most times you've got to keep lying to cover them up. If you did something wrong, be mature enough to take responsibility for it. Been truthful all the time will help you build trust and integrity - these, money cannot buy.
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by joywendy(f): 7:23pm On Mar 22, 2015
mmmm....tough question..

i know how you feel Goofyone, i have always had that idea to always say the truth no matter the situation.

But then i realized that when i do. i m seen has too blunt or insensitive. The truth is that most people want the truth but cannot accept it.

Most people just want constant reassurance that what they believe is true is the truth and anything short of that is not taking lightly.

Too much of everything is bad as they say.

Been truthful is good but there are some situations where wisdom is required before opening up to talk.

if you know that saying the truth will put you at a very big risk and it will have no positive value. just keep it to yourself.

@mizmycoil happy birthday btw! smiley
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by KanwuliaJara: 7:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
Sometimes yes, sometimes NO!
Evaluate every situation for risks and benefits simple! kiss

2 Likes

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 22, 2015
Thanks to everyone for the honest responses. I've learnt a thing or two today. smiley

1 Like

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 22, 2015
You guys are all the best. I honestly couldn't take it anymore this morning, hence the need to let it out on here.

2 Likes

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by BreezyRita(f): 9:59pm On Mar 22, 2015

Everyone lies. Some for personal and selfis ends. Others for universal good....
We lie at times so as not to hurt someone.
If your wife asks if she's fat or whatever. You'll try not to hurt her by replying in the affirmative.

Like the posters before me, I feel the use of sense is needed.

Sweedy,, your boss will come around. I'm sure.

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by amaprincess(f): 6:01am On Mar 23, 2015
Yes it help, but should be done with wisdom and at the right time.
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by micynute94(m): 6:11am On Mar 23, 2015
When Alan Turin finally broke the enigma code and his peers wanna send out the piece they cracked that day.. He refused and he even broke the telephone used for communication. Out of anger, a guy knocked him down. On the ground, cleaning his nose, he asked them.. If we pass this info and our military suddenly veers off their path and zeroed in on the German u boat, what will the German think.. Yup, they will think their machine has been broken and will device another way of communication.. Two years of hard work.. down the drain.
He said something i wanna share.. He said and i quote " There are times we need to do what feels good and there are times we can't do what feels good but what seems logical "
Had he made his discovery known earlier, he might v saved some men in the war at that moment but the German will know the code has been broken and will device another way. Instead he let everything went as planned, his country men died that day but he was able to save a whole lot more and shorten the war by two years. .. All Thanks to.......

So u see, there are times you need to tell the Truth cos it feels good and it's the best while there are times that we can't do what feels good rather we do what is logical... It might take time to understand my statement but i think it's worth it..
What am trying to say is that there are times in which saying the Truth is the best while some times it obviously ain't good at all n doing it might put u in more trouble than it's worth it... K
I leave u with this...
A grenade is much good as a defense object in a field, same as a sniping rifle but bringing it to an elevator fight. hmmmm.. na die b dat

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 23, 2015
Woged2005:

and a school of thought in Ethics.
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 23, 2015
I've had firsthand experience of covering a lie with more lies and it was indeed an ugly sight when the poo finally hit the fan. If I could go back, I don't think I'd do any differently tho, because both the truth and the lie had the potency to hurt me - different parts of me. Now the question is which part of me do I want to protect the most long term. Credibility didn't win the bid.

What I'm saying is the pragmatic angle seems to me to be the best angle to look at this. What is the most useful plan of action? I'm on #TeamUtilitarianism with infomizer. I don't see how lying to get at least a brief extension on a task can ultimately hurt one's credibility and at the end of the day, the boss gets what he wants, you don't get chewed on, everyones happy. Win, win. Well, except if you're religious and have to deal with a hyper sensitive conscience afterwards, I wouldn't advice lying in that case.
Re: Does Telling The Truth Really Help? by Infomizer(m): 12:23pm On Mar 23, 2015
xcapizt:
I've had firsthand experience of covering a lie with more lies and it was indeed an ugly sight when the poo finally hit the fan. If I could go back, I don't think I'd do any differently tho, because both the truth and the lie had the potency to hurt me - different parts of me. Now the question is which part of me do I want to protect the most long term. Credibility didn't win the bid.

What I'm saying is the pragmatic angle seems to me to be the best angle to look at this. What is the most useful plan of action? I'm on #TeamUtilitarianism with infomizer. I don't see how lying to get at least a brief extension on a task can ultimately hurt one's credibility and at the end of the day, the boss gets what he wants, you don't get chewed on, everyones happy. Win, win. Well, except if you're religious and have to deal with a hyper sensitive conscience afterwards, I wouldn't advice lying in that case.

The emboldened got me laughing my bony a.ss off! Damn!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mathematic Explanation Why Men CHEAT / Lying To Your Kids To Get Them Do Your Bidding, Is It Right Or Wrong? / See What A Mother Is Teaching Her Kid To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.