Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper (16677 Views)

Davido Receives Condom From D.J, Ecool As South African Lady Twerks For Him / See How D’banj, Kcee,Iyanya,Harrysong,Others Thrill Fans As E-money Watches(pics / SEE How D’banj Pay Tribute To President Jonathan | Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by phemmytmg(m): 11:33am On Mar 23, 2015
cheesy
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by IamOpemipo(m): 11:34am On Mar 23, 2015
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by gabinogem(m): 11:35am On Mar 23, 2015
irunoobo:
[size=14pt] smiley

I'm single and searching for a rich guy who lives alone, works with oil company or owns his business, drives a fancy car, travels abroad, tall, cute, good sense of humor, sexually active, ambitious and God fearing. I also like big dick and orals.
If you think you have what I'm searching for, send me a PM.

Men only cool[/size]
u are really serious about this shit
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 23, 2015
LOL!
grin
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by lekhane(m): 11:43am On Mar 23, 2015
irunoobo:
[size=14pt] smiley

I'm single and searching for a rich guy who lives alone, works with oil company or owns his business, drives a fancy car, travels abroad, tall, cute, good sense of humor, sexually active, ambitious and God fearing. I also like big dick and orals.

Men only cool[/size]
Scam alert!!!
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 23, 2015
Feelin' the n***a cheesy
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by victorazy(m): 11:53am On Mar 23, 2015
Nimblemind:
Hope no one comes here and bring up a d'banj vs don jazzy comparism o!

Oga Titus grin
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Sunymoore(m): 11:58am On Mar 23, 2015
irunoobo:
[size=14pt] smiley

Men only cool[/size]
I'm single too, looking for a rich girl, who lives on her own, works in a good company or self employed, drives a Ferrari, travels abroad like town running, beautiful, good sense of humor, that one that can give me BJ all time and I can pie on her, I also like big boobies and nice ass.. Send me a pm if you are worthy.. Thanks
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 23, 2015
....am feeling this nigga,a bigger u and me
#addictedtosuccess

1 Like

Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by tobtap: 12:08pm On Mar 23, 2015
he has won more awards than the whole of MAVINS put together since the break-up of mo-hits cheesy grin hate or love him...he is simply talented

2 Likes

Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by tintingz(m): 12:13pm On Mar 23, 2015
ofcos D'banj is Africa's king of music, who wanna drag that with him?

1 Like

Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by turawafett(f): 12:15pm On Mar 23, 2015
Oluwa is involved says Koko Master. When Oluwa is always involved, this is the type of results you get. Baba God noni.

2 Likes

Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by mandhip: 12:25pm On Mar 23, 2015
happy annivsersary your highness, undisputed king of African music
ganase2:

Gugulethu Mhlungu @City_Press #Trending
22 March 2015 7:40

How long do you want to speak to him for?” D’Banj’s manager, Tara Hecksher, asks me when an interview with the Nigerian superstar is confirmed.
“Can he spare half an hour?”

She laughs, the kind where it’s obvious someone doesn’t mean to, but it bursts out of them. “He’s very impatient. Shall I tell him 15 minutes and, if you get more, then cool? Even I struggle to get him to sit still for 15 minutes.”

So when I arrive at his Sandton hotel on a hot Monday afternoon, I have plans to be quick and get as much of the Koko Master as I can. He’s in South Africa, rather quietly, as part of his 10th anniversary celebrations. When 34-year-old Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo appears, I am half-disappointed it’s not with a flourish and his now distinctive “I’m D’Banj!” heard at the beginning of many of his hits. His Monday afternoon “casual” look is a pair of jeggings, a black Balenciaga tee with patent snakeskin detail and a Cuban gold link chain worn over it, a black pair of bejewelled Christian Louboutin sneakers, two watches (one on each arm) and a covetable pair of black Miu Miu half-moon sunglasses with gold detailing. His swag says “I’m D’Banj!” without him having to say a word.

He speaks in a kind of whisper, as if he’s telling you the secret to selling a million copies of your debut album – which he did with No Long Thing in 2004 – but it’s also part of his charm. A charm he’s well aware of.
When I introduce myself, he makes me repeat my name because it sounds so much like “kokolet”, a slang word he made popular. Kokolet refers to a good-looking woman. He refers to attractive women as kokolets and himself as The Koko Master.
“You are a real kokolet! Jesus is Lord!” he exclaims, clapping.
The singer-songwriter and harmonica player has as many names as he does talents. There’s The Koko Master, D’Banj, Mr Endowed and, lately, DJ Bangalee.

Mr Worldwide

I ask him about his travelling schedule. “I leave tomorrow … [off to] Lagos for a day and then Dubai for another party. From Dubai we’re going to come back to Nigeria … and then America, then back to South Africa …”
I ask him what will be bringing him back and he says: “Maybe a video, but also maybe a performance. But if it is a performance, I don’t want it to be in Joburg. Cape Town has been trying to show me love. So has Durban, and I have never performed there and want to perform for them.”
He continues: “When we started, I said to my team I want to do a minimum of 50 performances. We are at three so far. We are going all over the world. Australia just came in, Brazil, and Canada … We have about 16 already, and we are going everywhere so that my fans can feel me.”
He says he has plans for a double-disc 10th-anniversary album with one disc of new music and the other with some of his hits.
I ask him what the reception was to his two performances in Joburg: “Recently, I found out that the love in South Africa is …” He gestures with his hands, recreating what looks like an atomic mushroom cloud above his head. He says he had no real indication of what kind of following he had in Africa’s second-biggest economy. “I knew there was love, and I experienced it a little bit at the Africa Cup of Nations here in 2013, but I had no real idea. I performed two nights ago and people were shouting ‘Oliver Twist! Oliver Twist!’ and then knew all the words when we did it … Man!”
He, of course, would have missed what his global hit Oliver Twist did to local dance floors in 2012. “I think there’s now competition between South Africa and Nigeria in terms of the support and love.”

Y[b]ou’re only as good as your last match[/b]

Despite his late-2014 single Feeling The Nigga lacking the pop appeal of hits like Oliver Twist, and rumours of mounting debt and money troubles, he still singles out 2014 as his best year yet. “You are always as good as your last match, so I would choose last year as the highlight of my decade so far.” He explains: “2014 was really good. I got three endorsement deals, one of which was more an appointment than an endorsement [referring to his One Campaign ambassadorship].”
In October 2014, he was named the first official African global ambassador for the massive Beats by Dre headphone brand, now owned by Apple. Befittingly, his range of Beats products are black and gold. He’s in a whole other universe to his first endorsement for an energy drink, Power Fist, a decade ago.
“My work with the One Campaign, which focused on youth and agriculture, has been so important, and it was funny when they called me at first.” He calls global One Campaign ambassador Bono his godfather in music. “And then we got together and did it. We won best African collaboration [for the song Cocoa na Chocolate in support of agricultural investments] in December last year at the All Africa Music Awards.
“After February last year, it really got crazy big, and I was invited to different stages, including speaking at the World Bank, World Economic Forum and TEDx.”
He says it’s precisely because it was outside of music that 2014’s successes were so important to him.
“I’ve always wanted to be seen outside of just entertainment … for people to look at me and say: ‘This is a businessman.’ We know what we are doing; we are entrepreneurs. And if you give us the opportunity, we will turn a stone into a palace.”
Undoubtedly, he’s turned a few stones into palaces with his business and Koko brand interests. He’s done everything from mobile content to bottled water, in addition to having sold more than 3 million records worldwide.

Content is the new crude

“Ten years ago when I started, I said I was an entertainer, and I have always been passionate about the music business. When we started, there was really nothing there. We had to make it.”
He says now is the time for artists like him to concern themselves with the business of music, “because music is big business, and there’s so much that African artists still need, and they don’t understand the corporate side of it”.
He explains that while businesses see music as a valuable industry, they are unsure of how to get involved in it.
Artists also don’t know how to make money beyond just making songs. “Where I want to go is beyond the music and focusing on the revenue streams: content, publishing, branding, endorsement, licensing and building up the back end of it. I am seeing myself in the business position more, because content is the new crude [oil].”
In the end, my conversation with D’Banj lasts more than three hours. The dinner gets moved to later and, while we drink his new endorsement vodka, Cîroc, I ask the man who has casually featured Snoop Dogg and Kanye West in his music videos what it is like being D’Banj. He pauses, looks up and says: “I don’t know.”
He thinks for a moment. “It’s because when you are working, you’re just
going and you don’t have time to think about all that stuff and what it means. And sometimes people think they know you.”
He says he used to hate it when artists were separated according to local and international.
Now that he is signed to West’s GOOD Music, has a major international distribution deal with Sony, is endorsed by global brands, and his song Oliver Twist rocketed to number one in 11 countries (“I have never even been to some of them,” he says), this African success story can call himself whatever he wants

http://www.citypress.co.za/entertainment/exclusive-how-dbanj-became-africas-king-of-music/

1 Like

Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by mandhip: 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2015
happy annivsersary your highness, undisputed king of African music
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by sheyflixy1(m): 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2015
wheesin:
Oga Titus grin
oga wheesintus stop hating
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by sheyflixy1(m): 12:34pm On Mar 23, 2015
victorazy:

Oga Titus grin
oga nimblemintitus
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by sheyflixy1(m): 12:35pm On Mar 23, 2015
victorazy:

Oga Titus grin
oga victorazytitus
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by CandidTrue: 12:37pm On Mar 23, 2015
chucky234:
Oliver Twist is all she mentioned and all South Africans want, hmmm Don J's footprint.

Hordey!
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Oiselenjakhian(m): 12:53pm On Mar 23, 2015
Hello I am a web developer. My personal website is [url]trustondevcenary.com[/url] please visit my site and get in touch with me if you want a website.

In addition [url]dreamquestmultimedia.com[/url] is my company website. Please visit it and subscribe by email to receive updates when we launch.
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Odunharry(m): 1:08pm On Mar 23, 2015
cool eja nla
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by okotv(m): 1:09pm On Mar 23, 2015
keep representing joor...ex-student
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Rilwayne001: 1:17pm On Mar 23, 2015
tintingz:
ofcos D'banj is Africa's king of music, who wanna drag that with him?

Abeggg...who is Dbanj?
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by danbrowndmf(m): 1:41pm On Mar 23, 2015
UltraMusicGroup:
So many reasons why they call him the Nigerian African world boss ...

but instead of believing, them dey "looku looku"
Are You Guys a Label? or Management company?
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by tintingz(m): 2:43pm On Mar 23, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Abeggg...who is Dbanj?
The koko master a.k.a banga lee grin
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by Rilwayne001: 2:48pm On Mar 23, 2015
tintingz:
The koko master a.k.a banga lee grin

Well, here in the UK, we don't know bangalee, we only know Wizkid and Aubrey Drake wink smiley
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by isan(m): 2:55pm On Mar 23, 2015
UltraMusicGroup:
So many reasons why they call him the Nigerian African world boss ...

but instead of believing, them dey "looku looku"
ahahahahhahahhahaha cheesy cheesy
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by isan(m): 2:57pm On Mar 23, 2015
wheesin:
Oga Titus grin
una don jazzy dey dere dey eat pounded yam with plantain grin
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by prelinctus: 3:26pm On Mar 23, 2015
Dbanj is broke and talentless. Always trying to cover up his lack of talent by saying he's into the business side of music. Fake dude with a fake accent.
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by kunAbi: 3:40pm On Mar 23, 2015
Bangallleeee.......AKA Ejanla, undisputable king of African Music,

Make Boy Jazzyy ....dey gbemu fo there.............Ride on D'Banj Baba
Re: How D’banj Became Africa’s King Of Music - South African Premier News Paper by isan(m): 5:05pm On Mar 23, 2015
prelinctus:
Dbanj is broke and talentless. Always trying to cover up his lack of talent by saying he's into the business side of music. Fake dude with a fake accent.
now u are satisfied abiundecided bad belle

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From Simi’s Album Launch Concert / Ghanian School Principal Videod As He Was Busy Fuc**king 2 Of His Female Studen / The Moment A Fan Gripped Burna Boy’s Feet For Blessings (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.