Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,273 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Editorial: The Music Made Me Do It…more Than Just Lyrics - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Editorial: The Music Made Me Do It…more Than Just Lyrics (427 Views)

R.kelly Deserves More Than Just 3 Grammy Awards, True Or False | Let’s Discuss / EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All / 8 Nigerian Collabos That Will Totally Rock The Music Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Editorial: The Music Made Me Do It…more Than Just Lyrics by nhop: 10:31am On Mar 23, 2015
So how about we weigh in on the importance of music and how powerful it can be in influencing our activities…or being an incitement. Therein lies our subconsciousness, as a true reflection of how we perceive and digest the ‘lyrics’ being dished out by our favorite artistes.

Many’s the time I’ve had the bizarre experience of seeing fans react action-wise to the songs being played, be it at clubs, gatherings, or at a random ‘beside the road’ spot by wanting to put these so-called songs’ lyrics to practice….Just cause the artiste ‘said so’ or ‘did so’….. you hear these fans say.

It is indeed a great deal of concern as to how much our music glorifies promiscuity, recklessness, irresponsibility, and so many other vices. Degrading lyrics tend to objectify both genders and portray men as sex-driven and women as sexual objects.
Substance abuse(thankfully hasn’t been too extreme in our case) is also often glorified in lyrics, so much now that kids(youths) consider it as ‘living the life’. Thankfully again, not much(if any at all) has been sung or rapped about on killing or maiming of others, a la Eminem(albeit without seriously meaning to).

The tendency for these youths to put to practice what they hear or see can be proven by the actions they carry out in public glare with no care in the world like, “it’s nothing, I’m the man”. The sad truth being that most listeners see nothing wrong, with a casual shrug to the inciting lyrical contents of their favorite tunes, tagging them as “just a song”.

Truthfully, not all listeners get too engrossed in what they hear to actually consider making the lyrics a reference point for irresponsible actions, they just don’t get too carried away. Studies have however shown that quite a number of listeners fall prey to the ‘imma do it cause my favorite artiste said it’ school of thought.
I, at one time or the other, have also felt the power of these songs as I have shown actions(don’t ask me) to portray what I was listening to at that particular time.

One time at an extremely rowdy gathering that involved the attendance of our ‘street boys(omo-itas)’, thugs and touts, it was all sweaty dances, show of craze or madness, with lots of marijuana puffs in the air, ’till Terry G’s “God guide me” song came on. Then with an utmost sense of sobriety, it looked like the world stopped for a minute as these touts and what-nots actually put away(at least for the few minutes the song was on for) their marijuana, hemps, then looked right up to the heavens to respect and ask for mercy from God. That was some statement and amazing scene to witness!

We are allowed to have fun and oftentimes the fun involves ‘wildin’ out’ by being or talking ‘ratchet’. These artistes know that, we know that, so where can the boundary be drawn….

In fact, these artistes want their statements to have such a great resonance with the fans, so much that they feel proud if a particular coinage by them is glorified by their followers.

Most song’s lyrics don’t discuss dangers of irresponsible or careless sexual activity, in actual fact, they glorify and promote it and I think about 90%, or more, of our established and popular artistes are guilty of this. Then again, it makes them more massively popular and accepted…and a lot of bucks. The global brands don’t even care what an artiste represents before they shower millions of naira endorsements on him/her.

Oftentimes though, these artistes narrate ‘how they are living their lives’ and want listeners to be inspired by it, so at those times they try to be as honest(not all) and as expressive as they can. So it’s only fair that the part where they have fun is also brought to light. Therefore knowingly or unknowingly, harmfully or harmlessly, intentionally or unintentionally, they influence their fans’ view as to how life is to be lived.
We have several artistes(Olamide, Tuface, Banky W, e.t.c) though, who find a massive way to balance their messages in an entire album, they go from ratchet lyrics to inspirational, degrading to uplifting and it’s a formula that works perfectly well for them. Then the ones who couldn’t give a rat’s arse, as it’s all profanity in their music(D’banj we’re looking at you), a sexual bravado that plays out a little too much.

It’s more than just lyrical statements when big artistes like P-square tell their fans to ‘do as i do’, Reminisce endears his core followers to ‘tesojue lale yii’, Iyanya declares ‘all i want is your waist’ and Sean Tizzle asks ‘ki lo gbe yii’.

As good as it is to have massive fun in this lifetime, as we’ve got just one life to live(depending on your belief), so also it is as credible to leave a positive impact. Taking cognizance of our musical content should be paramount if we really are to play our part in curbing some of the societal ills…..let’s accept responsibility and stand for something!

Source: http://nexthop.com.ng/editorial-the-music-made-me-do-it-more-than-just-lyrics/

(1) (Reply)

He Wants To Sing They Want Him To Be A Biochemist / Now On Notjustok !!! Shalom - Just By Grace . Hot!!! / Open Letter To Wande Coal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.