Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,959 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) (81755 Views)

Woman Finds Strange Snake-like Creature In Her Garden / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / What Is The Name Of This Creature ? Is It A Baby Snake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Mbediogu(m): 10:03am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
dude dat thing looks lyk a hyena or coyote and not a leopard

Certainly not a hyaena which belongs to dog family CANIS. It does not look like a member of cat family FELINE either. But for the size I think it rightly belongs to the rat family RATTUS. Zoologists can help us please. I have not seen this type before, not even in books or films.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by RottenTomato: 10:04am On Mar 26, 2015
KingTom:
Endangering our Leopard species cry
When dem say make una learn, una no gree! Watch Animal Planet, for where!!! That creature is a fox! Bigger ones are killed and sold along Benin-Sapele Road!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by unite4real: 10:04am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:

definitely not Hyena, from the size of the tail.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:05am On Mar 26, 2015
there's no way that animal pictures by the op can be a ocelot because ocelots are not native to Africa, they are only found in south america, parts of north America, central america and mexico
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:05am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:
This creature was spotted among 2 others during school hours today at Jubilee Model, Surulere. Unfortunately for it, it was killed by the students of the school though the other 2 ran away but this very one was unlucky. I wouldn't believe this not until I got the picture, though said it won't die easily after being stoned and all so it took and elderly man to use a knife on it. Not surprise cause it's a Cat family, is it true they have 9 lives?

Looks somewhat like a civet , not totally sure though
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by arsetalks(m): 10:05am On Mar 26, 2015
I know this animal. It has a bad body odour. Very offensive odour especially when on heat period. We call it " ayee"
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Burger01(m): 10:06am On Mar 26, 2015
BabaO2:
we killed it too

That's WICKED! Must you kill everything?sad

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by arsetalks(m): 10:06am On Mar 26, 2015
toyeoye:
Nobody with business sense for that gathering? Even the teachers should know better than kill this innocent creature. They went to call baba to slaughter the poor thing. Smh
Thats the society we are in. And to think they are "students".

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:07am On Mar 26, 2015
RottenTomato:
When dem say make una learn, una no gree! Watch Animal Planet, for where!!! That creature is a fox! Bigger ones are killed and sold along Benin-Sapele Road!

oga abeg don't compound it by calling it a fox please. that is definitely not a fox
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by spartacuz: 10:07am On Mar 26, 2015
sadGo to Ibiono in AKS, you'll find dem der, along ididep, der's a warm stream der... I used to see such but we knew dey wey not just house cats but. Smting special... It. Escapes @ de sight of man.. Smhw, we tot twas a babalawo or witch...but its an "animal"... Omnivores.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 26, 2015
firetrap:
there's no way that animal pictures by the op can be a civet because civets are not native to Africa, they are only found in south america, parts of north America, central america and mexico

A civet /ˈs ɪ v ɨ t/ is a small, lithe-bodied, mostly
nocturnal mammal native to tropical Asia and
Africa, especially the tropical forests. The term
civet applies to over a dozen different mammal
species. Most of the species diversity is found
in southeast Asia. The best-known civet
species is the African civet , Civettictis civetta,
which historically has been the main species
from which was obtained a musky scent used
in perfumery. The word civet may also refer to
the distinctive musky scent produced by the
animals.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civet

Don't say what you don't know

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by EmekaBlue(m): 10:10am On Mar 26, 2015
I like nairaland coz u can learn alot here..This is d best blog in africa

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 26, 2015
arsetalks:
I know this animal. It has a bad body odour. Very offensive odour especially when on heat period. We call it " ayee"

You're referring to a skunk and that isn't a skunk

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:11am On Mar 26, 2015
neoapocalypse:

A civet /ˈs ɪ v ɨ t/ is a small, lithe-bodied, mostly
nocturnal mammal native to tropical Asia and
Africa, especially the tropical forests. The term
civet applies to over a dozen different mammal
species. Most of the species diversity is found
in southeast Asia. The best-known civet
species is the African civet , Civettictis civetta,
which historically has been the main species
from which was obtained a musky scent used
in perfumery. The word civet may also refer to
the distinctive musky scent produced by the
animals.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civet

Don't say what you don't know

read my post again you'd see that it was changed to ocelot and not civet
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 26, 2015
poor tin.its so bad dat animal abuse is legal in dis country.this is a beautiful cat species for God sake.wat if its extinct.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by vislabraye(m): 10:13am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:
This creature was spotted among 2 others during school hours today at Jubilee Model, Surulere. Unfortunately for it, it was killed by the students of the school though the other 2 ran away but this very one was unlucky. I wouldn't believe this not until I got the picture, though said it won't die easily after being stoned and all so it took and elderly man to use a knife on it. Not surprise cause it's a Cat family, is it true they have 9 lives?

This is not a leopard. Who dash students power to kill leopard like that? It's African civet

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by basketbrain(m): 10:13am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:

or meerkat
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by RottenTomato: 10:16am On Mar 26, 2015
See pic here if anyone is in doubt...

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by KingTom(m): 10:16am On Mar 26, 2015
RottenTomato:
Mumu na you no gree learn, no be hyena be that? Fox ke Fuckss ni grin
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:

Take a good look @ it's its head
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Kanyol(m): 10:17am On Mar 26, 2015
Leopard ke? That's an ocelot, it belongs to the cat family
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by imauri: 10:17am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:

illiteracy is indeed a bastard, you see something strange, because u don't know it so u fear it then u kill it..
it is a genet , it is endangered as humans will be soon.

3 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by ewizard1: 10:17am On Mar 26, 2015
All of you shouting... " Why dem kill am?"

Shebi you've checked the internet and found the animal is harmless, thats why you're talking.

You expect me to see a snake in my room and wait to find out if its harmless or not? jonzing people!

Why are people not killing goats, cats, dogs (even fierce ones) Simply because they know the kind of animal e be.

You expect me to see something like this not caged, and i should go near it?

If someone has gone near dis thing with a friendly approach and got killed, you same people will start shouting "Why shoulf he go close to such an animal, e resemble dog"

6 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Wallade(m): 10:19am On Mar 26, 2015
@Firetrap, you got it right. It is a Genet. However, @op, thank you for the information. There were a couple of guys that also helped to school us on the animal names and world. Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:19am On Mar 26, 2015
Kanyol:
Leopard ke? That's an ocelot, it belongs to the cat family

Brors that's not an ocelot, its a Genet. the ocelot is not found naturally anywhere outside south, north and central America
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 26, 2015
firetrap:

read my post again you'd see that it was changed to ocelot and not civet

Truly ocelots are not native to Africa

Check well before posting any info so as not to mislead people next time ( you also won't need to go back to change your words )
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Kanyol(m): 10:21am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:

Pls share some picz

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:22am On Mar 26, 2015
imauri:

illiteracy is indeed a bastard, you see something strange, because u don't know it so u fear it then u kill it..
it is a genet , it is endangered as humans will be soon.

please do not mislead anyone, the Genet is not an endangered species
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by shilexholly(m): 10:30am On Mar 26, 2015
Its beta dis tin is killed jare cos na u pple go dey say d skool is careless if it harms d studrnt now
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by shilexholly(m): 10:31am On Mar 26, 2015
Its beta dis tin is killed jare cos na u pple go dey say d skool is careless if it harms d studrnt now[color=#006600][/color]
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Tekzyflex(m): 10:32am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / This Onions Farmer Has Made It In Life (Pictured) / Quality Packaging For Your Rice,flour,animal Feeds,garri,fertilizer,cement Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.