Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? (1992 Views)

Bacteria Diseases Of Human Beings / Scientist Hasn’t Showered In 12 Years To Preserve Skin Bacteria / How Will You Explain Gaseous Exchange In Bacteria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? by sirjohnson(m): 6:53pm On Mar 26, 2015
Dont know if I am posting in the right section, if not, MODS please do the needful.

I have read a countless times that stars are very many in the universe. Studies say our own galaxy, which is the milky way has about 300 billion stars and there are over 200 billion galaxies in the known universe.
Now I also read that bacteria are the most plentiful living things in the cosmos-they are in the air, in the oceans, on trees, inside the ground and a bacterium can produce 4 bacteria in just 10 seconds. When your food is getting sour and spoilt, 3 thousand bacteria can multiply into 3 million in just 1 hour or less. They also said a bacterium is so small that 10 thousand bacteria can fill a dot made by a pencil.

Now my question is, are there more stars than there are bacteria in the known cosmos?

Re: Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? by Tolexander: 7:58pm On Mar 26, 2015
What a very good question! Bacteria is ubiquitous on the planet earth and I've not seen or read its presence outside the earth(not saying it doesn't exist outside this planet). To be candid, the numbers of both bacteria and stars are just estimates and not precise.
Re: Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? by richol(m): 8:32pm On Mar 26, 2015
i go for the bacteria, they reproduce millions per minute.
Re: Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? by sirjohnson(m): 5:43pm On May 23, 2016
richol:
i go for the bacteria, they reproduce millions per minute.

But they also die quickly. A star can live up to 50 million years
Re: Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? by saasala(m): 6:47pm On May 23, 2016
lalasticlala, mynd44 and other mods will never move this kind of topic to frontpage. Its been lying there for more than a year, yet we have thousands of snake threads littering the frontpage day in, day out. SMH
Re: Are There More Stars Than Bacteria? by richol(m): 4:13pm On May 25, 2016
sirjohnson:

But they also die quickly. A star can live up to 50 million years
before one dies it would have reproduced even billions...well..who knows cos i dont even know where space ends

(1) (Reply)

Agbami 2016 Application And Past Questions / 2016 /2017 Seplat / NNPC Scholarship / LASU Merit Admission List 2016/2017 Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.