Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom (8773 Views)

Now That NYSC Is A Done Deal, What Next? (how To Prosper After NYSC) / Accident Kills 2 Corpers In Akwa Ibom State (Photos) / Corper Drowned At Ibeno Beach In Akwa Ibom(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Maxcollins042(m): 1:21pm On Mar 27, 2015
Considering that most of us are hoping to serve in this state,same most of us will like the current serving corps members or those that served previously in Akwa Ibom to enlighten us and let us know how serving in Akwa Ibom is like,please share your experiences
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 27, 2015
don't b scared Sir...come in, we are friendly and always ready to welcome visitor..

#peace

#Akwa Ibom Ayaya(Akwa Ibom is beautiful)
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Eberex(m): 1:36pm On Mar 27, 2015
Let me share my experience. My office sent me to akwa ibom, you know engineers don't stay in one place. I stayed in Ikot ekpene and being a lagos brought up, I find the place quite opposite to Lagos life style.

Nice weather, nice people (but not all), good food, especially their soup: white soup, afang, atama.

They have good roads too.

Transportation is keke and cab. No okada.

I only learnt three of their language after my one year stay . Meseere, abadie, and mbok.

You will enjoy the place, I guarantee you. But do not go to places you don't know, or someone asking you to follow you to a new market. For the fact you don't understand the language, that one alone is enough to sell u. I will not mention the negative reports I heard, so as not to discourage you.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Maxcollins042(m): 1:53pm On Mar 27, 2015
Eberex:
Let me share my experience. My office sent me to akwa ibom, you know engineers don't stay in one place. I stayed in Ikot ekpene and being a lagos brought up, I find the place quite opposite to Lagos life style.

Nice weather, nice people (but not all), good food, especially their soup: white soup, afang, atama.

They have good roads too.

Transportation is keke and cab. No okada.

I only learnt three of their language after my one year stay . Meseere, abadie, and mbok.

You will enjoy the place, I guarantee you. But do not go to places you don't know, or someone asking you to follow you to a new market. For the fact you don't understand the language, that one alone is enough to sell u. I will not mention the negative reports I heard, so as not to discourage you.
Pls mention the pros and cons of the experience you had
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Maxcollins042(m): 1:54pm On Mar 27, 2015
Is it true that they are paying an allowance of #10k to corpers?
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Eberex(m): 2:28pm On Mar 27, 2015
Maxcollins042:
Pls mention the pros and cons of the experience you had

1. While in church, my neighbors who usually greet me every time they see me were the same people who robbed me of my laptop and blackberry. I knew they were the ones but what can I do about it? The police would need proof, hence I let it go.

2. I took part in the construction and maintenance of Gov. Akpabio's house at Ukana in Ikot ekpene. So I had access to infos from the Security personnel stationed there. There is a particular market, I cant remember the name now, that strangers tends to get missing. when you get to the market and try to enquire where to purchase items, you will be led deeper into a certain part of the market until u fall into a pit. Well that's the end of story.

3. Akwa ibom is not a commercialized state, hence you really cannot start a business like if you were in lagos while you are serving. Its only the foreigners that spends money in that state, and only few of their people who patronize.

4. Juju is common here too. One called ''kognomi''. It is used mostly by women. If they put it inside your drink or food, you become their slave. I didn't believe this until my worker who was from auchi narrated how his elder brother who got married to one of the indigen ended up building a house and putting the wife name in the document, and not just that. He hasn't gone to auchi to visit his people for the past 10 years now. When confronted he will ask them if it is anyone's business.

5. I witnessed this one. A man and his wife was seated outside their veranda when a man came. The wife stood and went to meet the man. Right in our presence the man touched her intimately and I was like ''what? in front of the husband?''. The husband just sat there and pretended to be busy reading a newspaper.

6. Almost all the girls there would give you one of these responses if you try to toast them . ''I am hungry''', ''buy me coke'', ''take me to buka'', meaning they are not expensive. Here I mean both the local ones and those of them in all their polytechnics. No try am for UNIUYO sha.

I will continue later, my finger dey pain me

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Ademat7(m): 3:01pm On Mar 27, 2015
I want to serve in akwa ibom before reason(I want to check its beauty) but I later change my mind to enugu and I hope its a good choice
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Maxcollins042(m): 3:26pm On Mar 27, 2015
Eberex:

1. While in church, my neighbors who usually greet me every time they see me were the same people who robbed me of my laptop and blackberry. I knew they were the ones but what can I do about it? The police would need proof, hence I let it go.

2. I took part in the construction and maintenance of Gov. Akpabio's house at Ukana in Ikot ekpene. So I had access to infos from the Security personnel stationed there. There is a particular market, I cant remember the name now, that strangers tends to get missing. when you get to the market and try to enquire where to purchase items, you will be led deeper into a certain part of the market until u fall into a pit. Well that's the end of story.

3. Akwa ibom is not a commercialized state, hence you really cannot start a business like if you were in lagos while you are serving. Its only the foreigners that spends money in that state, and only few of their people who patronize.

4. Juju is common here too. One called ''kognomi''. It is used mostly by women. If they put it inside your drink or food, you become their slave. I didn't believe this until my worker who was from auchi narrated how his elder brother who got married to one of the indigen ended up building a house and putting the wife name in the document, and not just that. He hasn't gone to auchi to visit his people for the past 10 years now. When confronted he will ask them if it is anyone's business.

5. I witnessed this one. A man and his wife was seated outside their veranda when a man came. The wife stood and went to meet the man. Right in our presence the man touched her intimately and I was like ''what? in front of the husband?''. The husband just sat there and pretended to be busy reading a newspaper.

6. Almost all the girls there would give you one of these responses if you try to toast them . ''I am hungry''', ''buy me coke'', ''take me to buka'', meaning they are not expensive. Here I mean both the local ones and those of them in all their polytechnics. No try am for UNIUYO sha.

I will continue later, my finger dey pain me
Chai,it's quite terrible sha have been hearing of the juju part where their women use it on men for selfish interests,it's not as if it doesn't happen in other states but that of Akwa Ibom is too much ,tnxs man,ur narration of ur experience has increased my sense of awareness.
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by vivyangel90: 11:57am On Mar 30, 2015
Am a prospective batch A corp member please I need info. about Akwa Ibom as regards house rent,the people and the state pay to corpers.tnx alot as the info will be of a great help 2 my decision.
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Eberex(m): 1:56pm On Mar 30, 2015
vivyangel90:
Am a prospective batch A corp member please I need info. about Akwa Ibom as regards house rent,the people and the state pay to corpers.tnx alot as the info will be of a great help 2 my decision.

Accommodation is expensive like Lagos, here I mean a standard flat, unless u want to stay in old school house ofcourse
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 30, 2015
Although I don't know anybody in akwaibom. But hope its a promise land for me right from d day of Moses. Akwaibom all d way !!! By HIS grace.
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Eberex(m): 2:35pm On Mar 30, 2015
nancyifeatu:
Although I don't know anybody in akwaibom. But hope its a promise land for me right from d day of Moses. Akwaibom all d way !!! By HIS grace.

well it depends on where you are coming from
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 30, 2015
Eberex:

well it depends on where you are coming from
somebody can still work his or her posting ok
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Eberex(m): 3:09pm On Mar 30, 2015
nancyifeatu:
somebody can still work his or her posting ok

what do you mean?
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 31, 2015
Hmmmmm. Nancy is that u. Who is ur father that u wish to serve in akwa ibom #lolsss# better get worried & get angry cos i'll get there before u. #akwaibomayaya# if I don't serve there eeeeh #icommentmyreserve#
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by kingsleyuzo: 3:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
vivyangel90:
house rent is costly here in uyo and most place in akwa ibom,but in the village,house rent is cheap and some schools do give accommodation, state pays 10k and akwa ppl are nice ppl,from the experience I have had so far living with them.don't expect to be posted in town unless God help u.
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by sendmeonly(m): 2:12pm On Apr 04, 2015
vivyangel90:
Am in akwa ibom,give me mail could be of help although it depends on where u are in Akwa Ibom state..

durellprint@gmail.com

7F37D8D3
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by sendmeonly(m): 2:14pm On Apr 04, 2015
nancyifeatu:

lemme know when u are in Akwa Ibom state...perhaps more to talk about during ur stay so it does not get boring

7F37D8D3
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by sendmeonly(m): 2:16pm On Apr 04, 2015
chinwe18:
Hmmmmm. Nancy is that u. Who is ur father that u wish to serve in akwa ibom #lolsss# better get worried & get angry cos i'll get there before u. #akwaibomayaya# if I don't serve there eeeeh #icommentmyreserve#

how are u
Re: Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom by sendmeonly(m): 4:01pm On Apr 04, 2015
vivyangel90:

Am in.akwa Ibom.it could farely depend on where u would be posted but if u r in abak give me a PM or bbm

durellprint@gmail.com

7F37D8D3

(1) (Reply)

2018 Batch C Stream 2 Pop Date / NYSC Tightens Security At Sokoto Orientation Camp / NYSC 2016A Nassarawa official otondos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.