Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time (33226 Views)

Images You Would Relate To If You Grew Up Shy In A Nigerian Institution. / Nigerian Institution With The Highest Yahoo Boys / JAMB 2016 Change Of Course/institution Is Ongoing, Click Here To Apply (N3,000) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by ednut1(m): 7:45pm On May 03, 2015
Seriallinks:

I know UTME isn't a course; I was only comparing their standards. A-Level is kind of like 9ja IJMB which is only 9 months in Nigerian Schools (After which you can use it for 200L direct entry in 9ja Univs) compared to the 2 years in the UK.

Foundation after enrollment with 9ja O-levels? Hell, no!! It depends on your course of study though; and also if you don't have good IELTS or TOEFL scores you might be required to enroll for English Language Foundation Course! That's all!
i did a levels in d uk. my sisters attends uni of Birmingham. shes is spending four years . cos she started wit foundation. u cant use ijmb to compare alevels na. dey look similar tho. but ijmb is nt in d same level
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by guass(m): 7:48pm On May 03, 2015
My thought
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by hollowpot15684(m): 7:48pm On May 03, 2015
I dropped out of school when i was in 200L studying chemistry at the university of Osun, i just felt like im wasting my time and i needed to do something better. im now into Technical jobs in Hvac as i learn HVAC and was able to kick back on my feet.. i love the practical work im doing right now unlike when we have to cram heavy equations without visiting the lab to experiment them. im not saying you should drop out of school but you should understand what your environment really demand from you and give it to it, it takes Gods grace to survive in this country after school especially when you have bad grades.. though i still plan to return to school shortly but not in this country.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 03, 2015
StealthIdeals:
U like giving yourself headaches! I took Pascal programing in 300level; I still can't fathom any reason why I should be forced to take it.
I'm in 200 level studying Philosophy. I learnt Pascal, Fortran, BASIC and the very useless UCB Logo 3 years ago. I also learnt PHP, ASP.NET, JScript, AJAX, Action Script and a little bit of photoshop and graphics design. I am currently learning Java but i plan to learn Python, C++, C#, Assembly language, Machine language and maybe one day create my own programming language (though i have structured, restructured, written and re-written what it will look like a thousand times, i still think i am no where near accomplishing that dream yet).
I see no reason why we shouldn't learn whatever we want to learn but i also see no reason why we should be forced to learn the things that are almost irrelevant to us. Something has to be done about it by the incoming administration.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by chiamz: 7:52pm On May 03, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
People like you are part of the problem too. What do you mean by "buh, m, n, bou" and all those unpunctuated words you wrote up there? Are they English terms? We are complaining about the education system in our country and you are here writing as if you are Tonto Dikeh.
The point's that u understood what he wrote. We keep saying English this & that all the time, are we English men & women? How many English men & women can speak some of our Nigerian languages? English is just our lingua franca, we are trying in that area, some of all these Asian people can't even communicate in English ie why you see people interpreting for them most of the time even in a contest as big as Miss World. English is not the problem here

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 03, 2015
Well, I have two thought lines on this issue.

Firstly, the Op is very wrong because of my personal experience. I spent five years in the prestigious DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, Abraka studying Political science and Philosophy. I graduated last year and I am serving in Yenagoa now! Now, what I got from DELSU (including the school and the friends I made) makes me who I am today and trust me, I know my onions not just as a graduate of a Nigerian University but as a human being in the 21st century. In every gathering I find myself, I am always given ears and credence to social issues and problems and folks that schooled abroad are participants of those gatherings. When I was in camp, I met lots of guys that schooled outside and trust me, they confirmed DELSU (Nigerian University). Now to the practical aspect, you'll have to meet me to know this.

On the second note, I agree with the Op. The rate at which Nigerian Universities drop in standard in all aspects is alarming. That no Nigerian University will make Top10 in Africa shows lot of misnomer. Now to the school curriculum, mehn, if you depend wholly on the Nigerian University curriculum you won't know what a graduate should know. You have to spread your tentacles and make GOOD use of the internet. Also, the lackadaisical attitudes of our lecturers especially Professors is not helping, where we had to beg them to come to a class that won't last more than 30minutes tops. Cultism! The greatest threat to tertiary education in Nigeria is another element the Op must have considered and this is fully understandable. Many more can support the Op's argument.

So, it's a two way thing. But I believe the University system of Nigeria is making lotta products (I for one). And it's also killing our youths (many of which I know). Just be strong enough to get the best of it.

#Aluta

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 03, 2015
chiamz:

The point's that u understood what he wrote. We keep saying English this & that all the time, are we English men & women? How many English men & women can speak some of our Nigerian languages? English is just our lingua franca, we are trying in that area, some of all these Asian people can't even communicate in English ie why you see people interpreting for them most of the time even in a contest as big as Miss World. English is not the problem here
Facebook may have translators for Spanish, French, Mandalin etc but they don't have any for Ibibio, Igala, Idoma and other languages in Nigeria. Your lecturers probably thought you in English language. You studied English from primary school up to the university. The books you read were written in English and I am replying you in English because you wrote to me in English.
How could you then claim that English is not important?

4 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 03, 2015
But u can't really put all the blames on the universities..how do u want them to set up practicals and a whole lot when they are under funded? Our secondary schools don't even groom us well for higher institution studies..one thing in the Nigerian educational level is that there is huge level of disconnect..this is what our universities sees and tries to bridge the gap..running the fundamentals in the year 1 isn't bad at all..
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 03, 2015
Freemanan::
Firstly, the Op is very wrong because of my personal experience. I spent five years in the prestigious DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, Abraka studying Political science and Philosophy. I graduated last year and I am serving in Yenagoa now! Now, what I got from DELSU (including the school and the friends I made) makes me who I am today and trust me, I know my onions not just as a graduate of a Nigerian University but as a human being in the 21st century. In every gathering I find myself, I am always given ears and credence to social issues and problems and folks that schooled abroad are participants of those gatherings. When I was in camp, I met lots of guys that schooled outside and trust me, they confirmed DELSU (Nigerian University). Now to the practical aspect, you'll have to meet me to know this.
If you studied Philosophy, then my guy you are a star. You are special and you will always standout. That doesn't mean that everyone can be like you and that is why the op is not wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by GodMode: 8:13pm On May 03, 2015
KillerBeauty:
Some of your points are valid others not so much.
Each country tailor their curriculum to their own needs. We shouldn't compare the years spend in school between countries. The british spend 3 yrs in universities because it suits them while Americans spend 4. Each country have their own reason for doing so.

Your number 3 point, not so valid. Its not called 'jack of all trade' I think the right term is flexibility. The world we live in is very vast and we can't be rigid living in it. That's why the curriculum infuses so many aspect into the university program, students need to know what going on in other areas outside their major courses. Most times these are areas students wouldn't normally look into. Like for example in my year one in school, I did a GST course in science and technology where some engineering principle where explained. I'm an art major with no business in engineering, but my studying of that course broadened my mind.

Did u practice the science and tech course
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Bola4boy(m): 8:14pm On May 03, 2015
Pure waste of time. I studied engineering. 5yrs after school I never use calculus to solve any real life problem. One of my prof doesn't know where an alternator can be found in his vehicle. Sooo bad.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by eagleeyez: 8:16pm On May 03, 2015
Youngsage:
What of 3 years

Which course be that for naija, Ond?
U know any number of year stated is speculative. I had two birthdays in my 300 level due to strike and na law I study.

I used to frown on private universities but right now ... No matter how hard I need to work my kids will attend private universities.

I. Of recent met an 19 year old who is just in 400 level law, that lady will be totally through with law skull and service by 22 max.that cannever be said on our kids in public uni and its paindful as most jobs have an age bench mark
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by GodMode: 8:17pm On May 03, 2015
blank:
@OP, your first year courses are equivalent of A levels. That's why people with pre degrees, A levels come in with direct entry into 2nd year. 4 years is very fair for a degree.

It is not..
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Fkhalifa(m): 8:19pm On May 03, 2015
im of the opinion that 4yrs isnt much to study most courses..
however,borrowing courses that arent that much related to our field and going too deep in learning them is what i found not so right.

our over stern lecturers are also a major concern coupled with zero motivation on the stundents path and over population in versities amongst many orthers..
God help us all.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by davido0849: 8:20pm On May 03, 2015
I spent 8 years all2geda wit IT, NYSC tinz and oda unnecessary tinz attached, but end up working in a completely different field frm wat i read in skool. Wia most graduates dey hustle 4 job, who am i not 2 jump at d one i manage see even if it's not wat i read in skool. Man must survive na!

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by eagleeyez: 8:21pm On May 03, 2015
Bola4boy:
Pure waste of time. I studied engineering. 5yrs after school I never use calculus to solve any real life problem. One of my prof doesn't know where an alternator can be found in his vehicle. Sooo bad.

My doctor friend told me that when he was in uni, during one of their lectures the professor made mention of an instrument or so and when they asked of it he told them he himself never saw it and neither did the professor who taugh him or those before them

Little wonder on why and how we are always moving about looking for "good hospitals or doctors"

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 03, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
If you studied Philosophy, then my guy you are a star. You are special and you will always standout. That doesn't mean that everyone can be like you and that is why the op is not wrong.

Yes! That affirms one part of my thought process.... seems you are an admirer of Philosophers.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by GodMode: 8:26pm On May 03, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
People like you are part of the problem too. What do you mean by "buh, m, n, bou" and all those unpunctuated words you wrote up there? Are they English terms? We are complaining about the education system in our country and you are here writing as if you are Tonto Dikeh.

You are also part of the problem...

English is not the Nigerian first language
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by bqlekan(m): 8:38pm On May 03, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
Brouhahahaha.. dude take a chill pill.. i probably should be typing 'lol' in full too. dude, we all are guilty of this BTW(Maybe i should type that in full too) m on a non qwerty phone with limited number of characters.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by omojeesu(m): 8:45pm On May 03, 2015
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS PEICE! I CANT AGREE LESS. WE HAVE AN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM THAT IS OUT OF TUNE WITH MODERN TREND IN ALL AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE. THE ENTIRE SYSTEM IS ARCHAIC! THOSE WHO DEVELOP CURRICULA ARE MOSTLY LIVING IN THE PAST. YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. THERE IS NEED FOR TOTAL OVERHAUL OF THE SYSTEM.

NO INNOVATION. NO CREATIVITY. THE MANAGERS JUST DONT WANT CHANGE! DECISIONS ARE TAKEN BASED ON SENTIMENTS AND PERSONAL GAINS IN POLICY AND PROGRAMMING. SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS HAVE TOO MANY SUBJECTS TO HANDLE. WE REFUSE SUGGESTIONS TO EVEN LEARN FROM OTHER COUNTRIES PARTICULARLY IN AFRICA. ....

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by casid: 8:55pm On May 03, 2015
Sad but its the truth. Every batch we have more than 30k corpers jubilating they're going to the labour market when alredy we have millions unemployed roaming the street with limited/slim chance(s) of getting employment. Then I ask, why go to school when there's nothing to gain from it at the end of 4yrs or thereabout.. Is it not true its waste of years? It bothers.

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 03, 2015
Pls how can I study medicine & surgery abroad ....
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 9:13pm On May 03, 2015
kalufelix:
Op u re very correct.. I like to think of it as a SCAM not even waste of time

What annoys me most is 9ja youths be bragging like..

DON'T YOU KNOW AM A GRADUATE

A WHOLE GRADUATE LIKE ME.. lol

When 2/3 of them can't express themselves in the simplest of tenses..

This country na big joke walai...

Lols cheesy
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 9:14pm On May 03, 2015
Velocitron:

I think you've both made really good points. Flexibility and versatility are very important, but when a student is taking completely unnecessary courses just to stay in school, then it becomes a problem.

I think we need a complete overhaul, re-evaluation and cleansing of our educational system. We're still using the same theoretical method of teaching our forefathers and the missionaries used.

U are right, sis.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 9:15pm On May 03, 2015
LAX89:

Spent

Instead of the OP worrying about duration, he/she should worry about QUALITY!

I worry about both, simultaneously, bro.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 9:17pm On May 03, 2015
bqlekan:
you've gat good points OP, buh its a bit too harsh to judge those years as a waste.. our institutions are only preparing us for what to face in the outside world, so i wont call the year one courses irrelevant.. recently, our government scrapped biology as as a general subject, now i have siblings who know nothing bou the way their body works, why they grow hairs on some of their body parts.. m sure you dont want that for graduates out there.. m an industrial chemist and i wont look like a fool in the midst of plant biologists, a zoologists etc.. and yes, m a better by far graduate n i know nothing bou strike..
short duration and quality are what I crave, fellow alumnus.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Seriallinks(m): 9:18pm On May 03, 2015
ednut1:
i did a levels in d uk. my sisters attends uni of Birmingham. shes is spending four years . cos she started wit foundation. u cant use ijmb to compare alevels na. dey look similar tho. but ijmb is nt in d same level

Tah! IJMB's standard is way better than UK A-Levels! I passed Cambridge A-Levels with distinctions in Chem, Phy and Mth studying at home the same year I took JAMB so I know their standards! If your sister is spending 4 years, it's probably because she started with foundation course or maybe she's studying a professional course like Engineering, Pharmacy etc.. Generally, if it's not a professional course, most UK univs are six semesters (3 years) for students with 9ja O-levels and good IELTS or TOEFL scores. Heck some colleges squeeze the 6 semesters program to less than 3 years for courses like computing, IT etc...

I have seen IJMB past questions and If not for expos in 9ja and all? You can't compare IJMB with UK A-Levels. Serious students who passed through IJMB are way better and cannot be compared with some UK A-Level dudes! The irony of the whole thing is, after wasting years studying professional courses in 9ja Uni, your counterparts in other Countries that spend a few years studying the same thing would be better than you! Smh..
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by ajetunblog(m): 9:19pm On May 03, 2015
Live, Work, Study in China...

Low tuition fee
Easy Visa Extensions
High Quality Education
Low Living Expenses
NO IELTS REQUIREMENT
PAY TUITION FEE AFTER VISA
100% VISA GUARANTEE

APPLY NOW

For more information on applications and admission, Contact via
Name: Ajetunmobi sherif (owner of Ajetun Blog)
Email: studyinchina2020@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp: +8613576011049

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 9:24pm On May 03, 2015
croSStodds:
Hmm!I concur with what OP indicted to a reasonable extent.imagine a biochemistry student in OAU offering maths and physics in d second year with only 2 more years to spend in school.it's biochemistry,not biotechnology.meticulously looking at this,it's devoid of any iota of sense.in the same vein,students of microbiology substantially start doing their MCB in d 3rd year with only a more year to spend in school.it's perspicuously ostensible this evidently implies the previous years are nothing but a complete rejectamenta.our educational sector needs to be ameliorated.ipso facto,d gargantuan greed of our circumstantial leaders exacerbates more the situation.
Yes, bro!

But these grammars dey fear me o undecided grin

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 03, 2015
Idrismusty97:
As if that isn't wasteful enough all Federal Universities of Technology(FUT) in Nigeria spend five years. Very soon we will have ten years bachelor degree programs in Nigeria! Na we like school pass angry

Bro did you finish from FUTA?

I completely agree with the OP jare we need vibrant technical schools where people can learn useful skills/trade instead of all these university courses with no defined usefulness.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Karleb(m): 9:28pm On May 03, 2015
I agree with you partially! Bro, do you know how many people a university/polytechnic degree has gotten a good job? The truth is; without a first degree you are limited and it's not everybody that has the money, or should I say opportunity to study abroad.

In conclusion, the importance of a first degree can never be overemphasized!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anambra University Lecturer Wears Boxing Gloves Into Class For Morning Lecture / Cheapest Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria / I Danced, Played Football, Basketball And Rapped – Oti, Covenant University Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.