Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Album Sales: Stop The Hype, No Data To Back Up Sales In Nigeria - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Album Sales: Stop The Hype, No Data To Back Up Sales In Nigeria (454 Views)

Funke Akindele Is Pregnant For JJC Skillz - Hype Nigeria / Davido's Hype Man Special Spesh Share Video Having Sex A Lady On Snapchat (PICS) / Nigerians Blast Davido:Stop The Hype You're Not The Ist African 2 Sign Sony Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Album Sales: Stop The Hype, No Data To Back Up Sales In Nigeria by nhop: 6:16pm On Mar 27, 2015
As I pondered, searched, and tried to figure out how much records some of my favorite Nigerian albums sold and also their chart perfomances, I realised we have no basic data reference whatsoever. No, I don’t just want to own the albums without knowing I am not the only one who has them, and I also want to be able to make reference to how well the albums performed should I have the course to.

It is always refreshing and educative for a keen follower of music like me to search up my favorite international acts, Jay-Z, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar et al, and be able to give facts as to their respective released projects…Yes I know this is Nigeria.

Just as more music drops daily and consistently in the country, we wonder how we can get our own tracking record of how well these releases perform in numbers.

We’ve seen lots of publications on “Top albums in Nigeria in 2014″, “Top selling Naija albums”, “MC akatugba sells a million copies”, amongst a lot of other interesting title categorizations. Now, how do we measure and rate these releases as the best selling?

It is quite appalling that a country of almost or over 180 million population can not boast of a solid charting system, all we see reported are mere opinions and assumptions on the compiler’s part.

We’ve had many great Naija albums, but can we reference their total number of sales for subsequent record keeping?

In this age of internet downloads and what-not, music releases reaches the consumers in a snap.

Sadly, the appreciation of owning physical copies of these releases has totally dwindled. It’s the internet age, we know. Still, it’ll be quite significant and important to be able to attach numbers to sales made in and around the country.

Some of our more established acts, like MI and Praiz, have been able to see their works gain attention on online digital chart platforms and it is quite some feat. Same can’t be said for the not-so-established artistes who have at one time or the other put out marvelous projects, for them it has been a story of non-recognition.

Bringing to fore chart performances and sales will undoubtedly raise the bar amongst artistes, as it’ll be a testament to how much the listeners or fans as the case may be, appreciate and love the projects put out.

Our artistes on the other hand, are mostly satisfied with making club hits that’ll get airplay on the radio, which therefore reduces the effort and content level, as well as other musical arrangements in their albums. Some don’t even see the need to release albums at all, so far one or two hits give them the attention and recognition they crave.

Our artistes don’t promote their albums as well as they do singles, and not having a charting system is a major part of the nonchalant approach. All they care about is to go from ‘hit singles–radio—popularity—show performances—endorsements—retirement’.

Which brings to mind how you can’t even get a detailed update from these artistes, except for a few, on impending releases of albums(dates, album art cover, track list) through their PR, social media or whatever…It drops when it drops.

Where then lies the hype about the giant we have become in the global music scene?…We have come a long way no doubt but we have also still got some length to go.

This is where the scourge of piracy haunting our entertainment industry sets in. The release of any musical project is always met with total monopolization by the Alaba giants which therefore nullifies any effort of tracking of sales.

With deep observation and careful analyses however, strategic structuring of a solid medium to attach credible numbers to these musical releases can go a decent way in reducing or curbing this menace, and can give credibility to projects released….Just ask Tuface Idibia how he did it with the re-release of his ‘Unstoppable’ album.

We can no doubt create our rules and watch as the international bodies pay more attention by acknowledging our music through our charting system.

We don’t have to wait until the international bodies, Billboard et al, acknowledge our works on their charts before we make a huge statement of how big we have become. Hell, even then would they take us more seriously if they have a point of solid reference to our music.

It will also go a long way in enlightening, educating listeners and fans as to the day, year a particular project dropped and how well it charted regarding to sales.

The change could start with us, we could bring more relevance to the Nigerian entertainment scene by creating a charting system of worth and credibility. It is definitely going to take a lot of work if this is to be achieved, but it is of no doubt that it is achievable.

Let’s write our own rules, let’s bring credibility to sales.

Source: http://nexthop.com.ng/album-sales-stop-the-hype-no-data-to-back-up-sales-in-nigeria/

Re: Album Sales: Stop The Hype, No Data To Back Up Sales In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 7:05pm On Mar 27, 2015
The same way they said Timaya of all people have sold 30 million copies, hmmm I have. Searched and combed the entire houses in my estate but no one seem to have any of Timaya's CDs in his/her rack.
Naija celebs living fake lives since 1960

(1) (Reply)

Buy Celebrity Dresses From Top Distributor / Seun Kuti Thanks Bola Tinubu For Bringing CHANGE Into Nigeria / Best Way To Curb Ur Boredom Via Youtube

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.