Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:53 AM

Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure (3611 Views)

"Guantanamo Bay Prisoners In Ghana Are Dangerous" - British High Commissioner. / Outrage In Ghana Over Guantanamo Detainees / Guantanamo Detainees Transferred To Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by muhsin(m): 10:16pm On Jan 22, 2009
Barack Obama, the US president, has ordered the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison camp within one year and a review of the military tribunals set up by the Bush administration to try them.

Obama also signed an order ending the harsh interrogation of prisoners held by the US and requiring investigators to comply with the Geneva Conventions.

On his second full day in office, Obama signed the three orders surrounded by retired military officers in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington.

Obama said the signing of the order showed "we are willing to observe core standards, not just when its easy but when its hard".

"The message that we are sending around the world is that the United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism," Obama said.

"We are going to do so vigilantly; we are going to do so effectively; and we are going to do so in a manner that is consistent with our values and our ideals."

Obama had promised to close the detention centre during his election campaign.

Guantanamo was set up by the Bush administration in 2002 to hold prisoners it detained as part of its so-called war on terror.

The US president also said he was setting up a task force that would have 30 days to recommend policies on handling "terror" suspects who are detained in future.

The force would look at where those detainees should be held instead of Guantanamo.

On Thursday, Obama had ordered a halt to military tribunals of al-Qaeda suspects held at the camp, including those suspected of involvement in the September 11 attacks.

The order ending harsh interrogations also requires that all interrogations follow the US Army's Field Manual interrogation guidelines, which ban the use of techniques such as "waterboarding," which simulates the sensation of drowning.

It also ends US government reliance on a series of controversial legal advice notes on the treatment of prisoners drawn up by Bush administration advisers.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/am, 150709233.html
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by muhsin(m): 10:22pm On Jan 22, 2009
I am skeptical but if he does the right thing I will be the first to commend him for it. Thus I think that gesture is good. My compliment.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 10:29pm On Jan 22, 2009
As the war in Afghanistan is expanded, fruitlessly I think because history shows the West never wins there, more captives will be taken. I am keen to see how they will be processed. 

One option is to return them to their country of origin, but it will be against international law to do so if their rights are likely to be trampled upon. As Muslim states have no respect for human rights, that pretty much rules out the bulk of captives.

The US could enlist the help of allies like the Europeans to take some of these captives. The Bush administration began sounding out Europeans in Dec '07 of its intention to close Gitmo and asked them to take some of the captives. They refused then, lets what their response is now.

I still think keeping Gitmo is the least of all evils. The wellbeing of captives will be best met if their captors are Americans.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by debosky(m): 10:35pm On Jan 22, 2009
Why not build a holding cell for them in Afghanistan? Why must they be shipped to Guantanamo?

It is a wise move - do things according to International Law and stop behaving like a bunch of power drunk mavericks.

The very idea of Gitmo is wrong, other solutions should be sought. If the prisoners are being tortured at Gitmo, I wonder what 'human rights concerns' they have for the prisoners.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by MrCrackles(m): 10:37pm On Jan 22, 2009
debosky:

Why not build a holding cell for them in Afghanistan? Why must they be shipped to Guantanamo?

It is a wise move - do things according to International Law and stop behaving like a bunch of power drunk mavericks.

The very idea of Gitmo is wrong, other solutions should be sought. If the prisoners are being tortured at Gitmo, I wonder what 'human rights concerns' they have for the prisoners.

I fucking agree with you on this!
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 22, 2009
At the end of the day Obama will end up with another Gitmo, only this time there'll be less torture and it will be on American soil. There is no reasoning with these sons of anarchy.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 10:49pm On Jan 22, 2009
debosky:

Not everybody in Gitmo was taken from Afghanistan so why ship them there? There are already holding facilities in Afghanistan, the biggest(Bagram Air Base),this witnessed a huge breakout recently which you must have missed.

In effect, Afghanistan is not safe enough for holding them.

There is a long tradition of classifying people as enemy combatants. Let me defer to your superior wisdom. You say this breaches international law, tell me what law and explain how it does.

The very idea? Your alternative is to ship them to Afghanistan! Same solution, different locations. Prisoners are tortured, but like the prisoners who insist on not being handed back to their countries of origin, the idea that a Saudi captive for instance is worse treated in Gitmo than in a Saudi jail is absurd. Get real, you will get better treatment in Gitmo than in your average Naija police cell.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Seun(m): 10:55pm On Jan 22, 2009
Why not take them to the USA?
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Sauron1: 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2009
Seun:

They'd constitute a HUGE RISK to Americans.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 11:04pm On Jan 22, 2009
Seun:

For a lot of them, the evidence the US possesses isn't sufficient to obtain a conviction. Let's look at it by referring to popular culture, everybody knew Al Capone was a gangster and a murderer but it was very difficult to nail him. Evidence has to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

I suppose Obama's view is not to take most of these people captives in the first place and run the risk by monitoring them, getting the host nations to do the arresting/prosecuting or as Christopher Hitchens wrote, make sure they are ''un-taken'' in the battlefield.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by TayoD1(m): 11:05pm On Jan 22, 2009
@topic,

I am really disturbed by this action by Obama.  It appears very hasty and not well thought through.  You suspend detention in Gitmo while the war is ongoing.  What happens between now and a year's time when it is anticipated that an alternative solution will be achieved?

I came across the link below which suggests that Obama does not even know the details of what he is signing.  To think that he does not even know the number of executive orders he was supposed to sign that morning regarding a central issue of defence is scary to say the least.  Others had to tell him some of the salient points within that order.

Here is video of a halting and, at times, confused President Barack Obama signing a series of Executive Orders related to Guantanamo Bay and the terror suspects held there. At times, Obama seemed not to know what was in the particular order he was about to sign. Several times, Obama asked for help from off-camera to know what it was that he was signing! The orders he signed will close the Guantanamo Bay Terrorist Prison within one year, orders the formation of a task force to decide what to do with the terror suspects held there, and orders all terror suspects to be interrogated strictly in accord with the "Army Field Manual." It certainly looks better when the President can clearly describe the orders he is signing, especially when they could have such drastic consequences to the safety of Americans.

With these orders, Obama keeps his promises to the far-left of his party. He also demonstrates that he views the "War on Terror" not as a war, but as a police action. He either does not grasp the nature of the struggle against Radical Islamic Terrorism that we face, or his liberal biases are keeping him from admitting that we are in a struggle for survival. Either way, America is going to be far less safe as a result of these orders. . . . . . (watch video)
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2169590/posts
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 11:13pm On Jan 22, 2009
@TayoD

Lets wait and see how these measures will play out in the next few years. If the Islamists are somehow convinced to ''give peace a chance'' , then the measures are justified.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 11:15pm On Jan 22, 2009
PS: The last time there was a major attack on the US,FDR's solution was to lock up every single person of Japanese nationality. If someone can come up with a good way to deal with this problem, I'm all ears.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Ibime(m): 11:21pm On Jan 22, 2009
Obama is making a big mistake. If one of the ex-Gitmo inmates goes on to commit a terrorist attack, he could lose the next election.

Like someone said, these are prisoners of war, and should not be subjected to police action.

These are not the type of people you try in court and then release into the general population if they are found not guilty.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by debeginin(m): 11:23pm On Jan 22, 2009
Let's hope Obama knows what he is doing.but if u ask me,his action leaves America prone to another attack.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 22, 2009
Tayo-D, you're quoting from an extremist rightwing blog that doesnt even think Obama is fit to be a whitehouse shoeshinner.

the problem is Obama is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. Should he close Gitmo the rightwingers are coming after him, should he leave it open he will only be classified as the second coming of Bush. What should he do in this case?

I dont think he took the decision to close Gitmo in a haste, if he did we havent heard a lot of noise from the canterkarous group in the senate and house yet. I still say he simply opens a parallel to gitmo on US soil, these terrorists dont deserve to be in the same jails as petty criminals.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 11:40pm On Jan 22, 2009
davidylan:

Should he close Gitmo the rightwingers are coming after him, should he leave it open he will only be classified as the second coming of Bush. What should he do in this case?

When it comes to protecting Americans, criticisms from any angle should be the least of his concern.

He should do nothing unless he has a better solution.
I dont think he took the decision to close Gitmo in a haste, if he did we havent heard a lot of noise from the canterkarous group in the senate and house yet. I still say he simply opens a parallel to gitmo on US soil, these terrorists dont deserve to be in the same jails as petty criminals.

I think most people want Gitmo closed and like I noted before, the Bush administration was seeking European help in rehousing these people. However, that most people want it closed is no reason to close it unless there are better alternatives.

Your idea of detaining in the US doesn't work because, like Debosky's idea, it's effectively doing the same thing as before but in a different location. Opposition to Gitmo is not because of the location but the legality of the whole process.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 22, 2009
4 Play:

He should do nothing unless he has a better solution.

I doubt they have found a workable solution yet and 1 yr from now Gitmo may still be open. For me the alternative is to simply move Gitmo to US soil. I cannot fathom why terrorists expect to recieve the same legal protection as is afforded US citizens.

4 Play:

I think most people want Gitmo closed and like I noted before, the Bush administration was seeking European help in rehousing these people. However, that most people want it closed is no reason to close it unless there are better alternatives.

It makes no sense . . . somehow for all the criticism i think we may end up finding out Bush and Cheney werent so bad afterall. There is precious little you can do with those who are ideologically committed to your destruction.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 22, 2009
why has this thread made it to the frontpage really?  undecided
If Obama being on fire = making concessions to terrorists and radical islamic nations committed to destroying the US then i hope someone douses him with cold water pretty fast.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 12:03am On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

There is precious little you can do with those who are ideologically committed to your destruction.

I have always felt that Islamo-fascism is a problem the US can contain but never defeat. It is for Muslims to ''defeat'' it. The war on terror will go on for generations. As Samuel Huntington suggested in his Clash of Civilizations, this is the new cold war.

In the 90s, Clinton waged war on Serbs on behalf of Bosnian-Muslims and Kosovars, something he omitted to do when worse things were happening in Rwanda. He ignored the massacres in the South of Sudan that claimed at least 1 million lives and also ignored the massacres in East Timor. He increased aid to the Middle-East and spend long hours into the night striving for peace between Israel and Palestinians. Yet, it was the same 90s that Al-Qaeda was formed, same 90s that 9-11 was hatched. It's clear to me that appeasement doesn't work. Maybe it's worth trying again as people's memories are very short.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Seun(m): 12:12am On Jan 23, 2009
Does that mean you don't really believe in the American justice system?
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 23, 2009
4 Play:

I have always felt that Islamo-fascism is a problem the US can contain but never defeat. It is for Muslims to ''defeat'' it. The war on terror will go on for generations. As Samuel Huntington suggested in his Clash of Civilizations, this is the new cold war.

In the 90s, Clinton waged war on Serbs on behalf of Bosnian-Muslims and Kosovars, something he omitted to do when worse things were happening in Rwanda. He ignored the massacres in the South of Sudan that claimed at least 1 million lives and also ignored the massacres in East Timor. He increased aid to the Middle-East and spend long hours into the night striving for peace between Israel and Palestinians. Yet, it was the same 90s that Al-Qaeda was formed, same 90s that 9-11 was hatched. It's clear to me that appeasement doesn't work. Maybe it's worth trying again as people's memories are very short.

Same feeling here which is why i feel history judged Bush rather too harshly. It is clear what the problem is . . . the mere fact that a secular (almost christian) nation dares to exist in place of their dream of a worldwide caliphate.

Seun:

Does that mean you don't really believe in the American justice system?

the US justice system is good enough for the purpose it was designed. I'm not sure the founding fathers anticipated the type of terrorists that gitmo harbours.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 23, 2009
4 Play:

you can bet my last farthing they have no plan to do any such thing. Long will this fight continue . . . we are not bothered for now because terror has not reached our shores in Africa.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 12:25am On Jan 23, 2009
Na Europe I dey pity. Places like France and Holland, they're sitting on a demographic time bomb.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by RichyBlacK(m): 1:39am On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

the US justice system is good enough for the purpose it was designed. I'm not sure the founding fathers anticipated the type of terrorists that gitmo harbours.

Abegi! Founding fathers my a$$! Did they anticipate any justice for the black man in this same justice system?

The slave-holding founding fathers have no say on this issue. All persons, irrespective of color or creed, must be treated equally in the eyes of the law!

If they capture fighters on the battlefield, the US and her allies must comply with the Geneva Conventions on the treatment of combatants captured on the battle front.

I'm impressed Obama has taken the initial steps to undo the nonsense that yamayama Bush did. Closing Gitmo is good riddance to bad rubbish!
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by TayoD1(m): 1:53am On Jan 23, 2009
@Davidylan,

Tayo-D, you're quoting from an extremist rightwing blog that doesnt even think Obama is fit to be a whitehouse shoeshinner.
I don't know about the history of that website. I found the article while searching for details of the executive order. That said, I can't really say the comments made on the website regarding the executive order is out of order (too many 'order'). The video kinda speaks for itself.

the problem is Obama is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. Should he close Gitmo the rightwingers are coming after him, should he leave it open he will only be classified as the second coming of Bush. What should he do in this case?
That was the situation Bush found himself. My hope is that Obama will have the strength of character to stand up for what is right and not bow to every wind of pressure from his base.

Lost to many people is the fact that Obama also signed an executive order today lifting restrictions of government funding for abortion on foreign NGOs. Is this supposed to be a priority? Is he so much under the influence of the Planned Parenthood that he just has to ignore the sensitivities of so many Americans by lifting the restriction on his second day as President? I am waiting for the crowd who are always on the side of "innocent" civilians to expres their outrage about this. Abortion, as far as I'm concerned is a license to kill. A society's strength and civility should be measured by how it treats its weakest and most vlnerable members. With this in mind, this is one area where I have very little regard for the US.

I do believe this was done in haste and based on political expediency.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by doyin13(m): 3:24am On Jan 23, 2009
It is almost traditional now, for an incoming president to make an amendment to
the abortion agenda.

Clinton did it on his first day in office, Bush within the first year of office and now
Obama has followed suit
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Seun(m): 3:25am On Jan 23, 2009
Selective justice is not justice.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by cvibe: 3:47am On Jan 23, 2009
Obama is staying true to his Campaign promises.

Yar Adua promised to declare a State of Emergency on Power supply, but where is it?
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by dayokanu(m): 4:25am On Jan 23, 2009
Selective justice is not justice.

Seun I hope you would apply this saying to the case of Ribadu
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by rikkyjen(m): 6:32am On Jan 23, 2009
Honestly, i have a lot of problem with Obama closing Gitmo.

Most of these guys in Gitmo as AT today are enemy combatants who were picked up in the battlefield.People shooting against American & the coalition forces. True, some innocent folks were picked but most of the "innocent" folks have been released due to the International outcry. For instance, they used to be more than 600, but now we have about 250 in Gitmo now.

So what do you want to do? Bring 'em on to the US courts where the liberal judges would throw away the cases cos of the "torture & coercion" which would ultimately lead to a mistrial. What about the fear of classified secrets and strategies leaked in an open court.

These " Gitmo guys" the ACLU, CLO and other groups are supporting dont even care about the rule of law or International/Geneva convention!. You release these guys and they are coming back FULL FORCE.

We all know OJ simpson was guilty but he got off from the murder charges cos of "TECHNICALITIES", thats whats gonna happen if you bring this guys to the mainland USA.

Honestly, torture is bad make we no lie but if America has to sacrifice its so-called values to keep itself safe, so be it!

Even with the International outcry, these Gitmo detainees even enjoy more than the Marines/Sailor in Gitmo  grin grin grin grin. I heard they feed them with some good balanced diet with a heavy blast of Eminem, Dr Dre and Will Smith's "Move Bi@ch, Get out the way"!  that one na toture?  grin grin grin grin

Lets face it as 4play said, the spineless EU and other countries have been screaming their lungs out but no country is ready to house these guys! And this has a become a tradition for the Europeans, their failure to take responsibilities is not only appaling but puerile and parasitic , yet if the US goes on unilaterally to do stuffs then they start to bobo-gist and bobo-yarn about when they get to their secretariat in Brussels! undecided undecided undecided

When the Ruthless Putin turned off the energy tap on Ukraine last winter and when Putin vowed to hang Sakashvili by the Ballz, the Europeans couldn't say "pim" to Putin to stop his madness except for Sarkozy who chose his words carefully when he got to the Kremlin.

Back to Gitmo, Even the Liberal and Democratic senators  crying blue murder about Gitmo all wrote congressional memos to Bush not to put any of this guys in their district!

The question is where would MuBarrack Hussein put all these guys who dont even care about the so called "values" them leftists are screaming on.

At the end of the day Bush screwed up the country, Katrina, invaded Iraq and all  but i believe History would be fair to that guy some day in the next couple of decades.

Over to Obama!
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 23, 2009
I actually think this is a very unnecessary decision.
Wait till there is another 9/11 and you'll see how people will run away from Barack.
Whether you like it or not, guantanamo and U.S captive policies have prevented another 9/11 since 9/11. I hope there's no 9/11 anytime soon because people will skin obama alive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Celebrating Ghana: 'are We Nigerians Or Ghanians?' / Rwandan Minister Resigns Over Photo Scandal / Hurray!! Drivers Jubilate As Fuel Prices Goes Two Year Low. Thanks To Crude Drop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.