Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND (1487 Views)

HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD / Corporals That Beat Their Superior In Lagos, Demoted / 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by shaddi(m): 2:19pm On Apr 02, 2015
Success in life should not be determined by our alma
mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be
successful whether they went to a university or
polytechnic. Our success is in our hands. This write-up is
not meant to degrade HND holders. I am one of those that
are strongly against the discrimination against HND
holders. However, the reality on ground (due to the
discrimination) is that BSc is still more superior to HND
and I have given reasons below to state the obvious but
bitter truth.

1 Entrance Qualification – The entrance qualification to
the university is more stringent than that to the
polytechnic. The UTME cut off for universities is higher
than that of polytechnics. All universities require a
minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE/NECO while most
polytechnics accept 4 credits as minimum requirement. It
is well accepted that the entrance qualification to any
institution says a lot about the prestige attached to such
institution.

2 Quality of Lecturers- You cannot compare the quality of
lecturers in the university to that of the polytechnic. Most
university lecturers are professors and PhD holders with
decades of teaching and research experience to show for
it. Some of them are universally renowned professors.
The head of universities are always renowned and
experienced academic professors. Most Master degree
holders in universities are mere assistant lecturers. The
same cannot be said of polytechnics where most of their
‘experienced’ lecturers are mere BSc holders. Most rectors
of polytechnics are Msc holders, only a few have PhD.
Even corps members lecture polytechnic students. Has it
ever occurred to you why polytechnics find it hard to
employ even their own products (HND holders) to
lecture? Instead, they employ mostly university grads to
teach.

3 Research Work – University is the bedrock of research
work. Research work lays the foundation of advancement
and any sane society will rate any higher institution by
the quality of their research. Unfortunately, the quality
of research work in Nigerian universities is poor but this
is still far better than that of polytechnics that do
absolutely nothing (or very negligible research work).

4 Funding- Universities are much more funded than
polytechnics. One of the metrics for determining the
quality of an institution is the level of funding. No
wonder, the government and the media pay more
attention to the demand of ASUU over ASUP. Thus, you
will expect a product of a university to be better trained
than that of a polytechnic.

5 Quality of students – The brightest, youngest and most
motivated students go to the universities. Go to a
polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-
so-young students who have written UTME many times
but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are
young and bright, but they are few and far between. The
majority of young and bright students, just fresh from
secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the
university. Thus, most university grads are of higher
intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

6 Size and Beauty of Campus – A lot can be said about the
quality of an institution by the architectural structures of
the institutions. Let’s take the elite universities and
polytechnics in Nigeria for instance. One cannot compare
the architectural edifices in the prestigious OAU, UI, ABU,
UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN to that of Yabatech, Kadpoly,
Auchi, Bida Poly or any polytechnic in Nigeria. No
polytechnic in Nigeria can even compete with some 2nd
and 3rd generation universities like FUT Minna, UniJos,
FUTA, etc in terms of structures.

7 Preference / Demand – The preference for BSc is higher
than for OND/HND. All or almost all aspiring students
wish to go to the university. Employers generally prefer
BSc holders over HND holders. HND holders are seen as
middle level manpower (That was the intent when
polytechnics were initially created). There are more
opportunities for BSc holders not just within the country
but outside Nigeria. Jobs and scholarship opportunities
abound for BSc holders and undergraduates while it is
almost non-existent for HND holders.

8 Self Esteem – Last but not the least, an average BSc
holder is more confident than an average HND holder.
This is however not the fault of HND holders who
unfortunately have to face stiff discrimination in the
labour market, thus negatively impacting on their self
esteem.

Source:[/url] http://www.humbleloaded.com.ng/2015/01/03/opinion-8-reasons-why-bsc-is-superior-to-hnd[/url]

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DesChyko: 2:43pm On Apr 02, 2015
#opens up the gates for angry polytechnic students# grinangry
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by pinkyruledworld(m): 3:01pm On Apr 02, 2015
Stress wey poly stdnts dy go tru, uni stdnts no fit go tru am... Poly stdnts works more on practical than uni.stdnts, if them gv the two of them chance make dm show their talent, poly go beat uni hands down and lastly person wey wan do well 4 sch go do well forget say u b uni pikin or poly pikin. #supportTKOMZY 4rm next best upcomin musician. www.tkomzy.com
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Ninilowo(m): 10:31pm On Apr 02, 2015
DesChyko:
#opens up the gates for angry polytechnic students# grinangry
Not at this corner, wait till it gets to front page then aluta go shele
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 18, 2015
op u r definitely high on somethin i guess...i'm a uni graduate but i start in a poly n i can tell u all ur points r notin but trash.with d strictness n pains d poly stuents have 2 endure dey always come out d best,even wen i got into d uni vis direct entry i was supprise dat even @ 300l i was still dealin with notin new,even a guy wit an upper credit wen 2 d uni only 2 bag a first 2nd class...dat tin abt fundin is actualy d govt loss on deir part coz while dey keep ingnorin d genius lecturers in poly,d economy keep downsizin........

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Judeoxide(m): 9:45pm On Apr 18, 2015
Truly you have points not just one but the problem is the course of choice..and institutions of choice, me for example have never scored bellow 200 in jamb...but I never got accepted...only poly accept me..and gaskia no offence I rather stay at home,, which I did...but when I applied for the fifth time ;Dand changed the medicen and surgery madness...omoh na one hand ohh..merite self..the thing is bsc or HND ugly ezi okwu gaskiayan magana be sa will never be d same any were in the world..but poly students are very stressed...its just like schooling in naija and then migrate to yanky..come see how easy school day.... am just being honest ohh...make I still doug bottle and arrows
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 10:49pm On Apr 18, 2015
if you dont agree with the op just answer this simple question...How many students makes up their mind and say that they will go poly.....it is when uni have failed them that they will remember that there is something called poly....
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by eitsei(m): 7:46am On Apr 19, 2015
Smartestelvis:
op u r definitely high on somethin i guess...i'm a uni graduate but i start in a poly n i can tell u all ur points r notin but trash.with d strictness n pains d poly stuents have 2 endure dey always come out d best,even wen i got into d uni vis direct entry i was supprise dat even @ 300l i was still dealin with notin new,even a guy wit an upper credit wen 2 d uni only 2 bag a first 2nd class...dat tin abt fundin is actualy d govt loss on deir part coz while dey keep ingnorin d genius lecturers in poly,d economy keep downsizin........
wat class of degree is first 2nd class?
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 9:29am On Apr 19, 2015
Sorry to burst your bubble. I wrote this article and posted on Nairaland earlier in the year. It has already made front page. Check out:

www.nairaland.com/2073950/opinion-8-reasons-why-bsc

Your dream of FP is dashed.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 19, 2015
eitsei:
wat class of degree is first 2nd class?
sorry 4 d typo,its 2nd class,3.69 to be precise
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Acmetek: 5:51pm On Apr 19, 2015
@op you are on point, though I came through as poly student, I still prefer Uni degree. But I wish that Govt. scrape the polytechnic education completely as it unduly create inferior second rate citizen going by my experience and that of others in our workplaces.

Please note my argument is base on Degree/Diploma certificate, not on individual or personality, as everybody is the architect of his own fortune/misfortune. Also bible says "Time and chances'' happens to all.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by okunfemm(m): 8:31am On Apr 20, 2015
Odisco44:
if you dont agree with the op just answer this simple question...How many students makes up their mind and say that they will go poly.....it is when uni have failed them that they will remember that there is something called poly....

Guy forget it ooooooo. many student wil not want to go to poly becos of people like u & d failure of our govt. U keep discriminating day & nite as if they(poly) founded themselve.
All d above point from d op is a complete trash. Poly & uni aspirant sat for d same jamb/o level exams and body decides d cutoff marks. Govt is bias as per d funding. Technically speaking poly student are better than d uni student. Poly will make u self reliance & employer of labour. Am proud to be a poly graduate and no uni graduate can put me aside anywhere in d country/outside country.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by okunfemm(m): 8:34am On Apr 20, 2015
Guy forget it ooooooo. many student wil not want to go to poly becos of people like u & d failure of our govt. U keep discriminating day & nite as if they(poly) founded themselve.
All d above point from d op is a complete trash. Poly & uni aspirant sat for d same jamb/o level exams and body decides d cutoff marks. Govt is bias as per d funding. Technically speaking poly student are better than d uni student. Poly will make u self reliance & employer of labour. Am proud to be a poly graduate and no uni graduate can put me aside anywhere in d country/outside country.

(1) (Reply)

Which PMP Certificate Is Recognized In Labor Market? / Loan Apps Want To Finish Me / Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.