Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel (1646 Views)

How To Save Fuel When Driving / Fuel Economy Tips In This Period Of High Fuel Prices. / 7 Myths About Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by AutosBay(m): 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2015
These simple tips would reduce the fuel consumption of your car thereby helping you save more.

1. Choose the right car: truth is it pays to buy a car that consumes less gas.
2. Get it serviced; Cars are more efficient when they’re serviced when due.
3. Keep it well-oiled; always check the engine oil and top up when need be.
4. Inflate your tyres; when tyres are not properly pumped the engine’s job becomes tougher thus consuming more fuel.
5. Choose the right tyres; Eco friendly tyres might cost a little more but are designed to help you save money.
6. Plan your journey; merge your journeys when possible also go out when the road is traffic free.
7. Empty the boot; Extra weight in your car puts extra demands on the engine and leads to higher fuel consumption.
8. Drive smoothly; The key thing to remember when driving to maximize fuel economy is to be smooth.
9. reduce your speed; Driving more slowly can bring big fuel economy benefits.

Source: http://www.carmudi.com.ng/journal/fuel-economy-tips-save-fuel/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=NG_journal&utm_content=fueleconomy&utm_term=20150402

1 Like

Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by u2fyfy(m): 3:20am On Apr 04, 2015
AutosBay:
These simple tips would reduce the fuel consumption of your car thereby helping you save more.

1. Choose the right car: truth is it pays to buy a car that consumes less gas.
2. Get it serviced; Cars are more efficient when they’re serviced when due.
3. Keep it well-oiled; always check the engine oil and top up when need be.
4. Inflate your tyres; when tyres are not properly pumped the engine’s job becomes tougher thus consuming more fuel.
5. Choose the right tyres; Eco friendly tyres might cost a little more but are designed to help you save money.
6. Plan your journey; merge your journeys when possible also go out when the road is traffic free.
7. Empty the boot; Extra weight in your car puts extra demands on the engine and leads to higher fuel consumption.
8. Drive smoothly; The key thing to remember when driving to maximize fuel economy is to be smooth.
9. reduce your speed; Driving more slowly can bring big fuel economy benefits.

Source: http://www.carmudi.com.ng/journal/fuel-economy-tips-save-fuel/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=NG_journal&utm_content=fueleconomy&utm_term=20150402

Reduce speed to what range pls?
And what abt using the AC?
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by lonelydora: 7:41am On Apr 04, 2015
Please throw more light on No.1 and No. 9.
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by autologic: 1:00pm On Apr 04, 2015
u2fyfy:

Reduce speed to what range pls?
And what abt using the AC?
As long as u are slamming ur throttle down at a fast rate will have bigger effect on ur fuel consumption .If u need to accelerate ,do it slowly and gradually, try to keep ur rev low and try as much as possible to maintain a constant speed below 100km/hr.This action will save ur fuel
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by autologic: 1:04pm On Apr 04, 2015
lonelydora:
Please throw more light on No.1 and No. 9.
For no 1 point ,car with bigger and with more power will be a fuel guzzler machine than smaller engine e.g v6, v8 engine will hit harder on ur fuel than v4 of same engine all other thing remain constant
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by anigbajumo(m): 11:42pm On Apr 04, 2015
I do hear.....welldone op
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by Nobody: 1:52am On Apr 05, 2015
The driver is one of the most important thing in the equation to modulate fuel comsuption.
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by Rubis(m): 4:20am On Apr 05, 2015
Insightful points you have raised there Op, but I disagree with your No9 using my car as an example:- It consumes less fuel when I drive above 120 and so do other cars I've driven in the past.
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by autologic: 7:04pm On Apr 05, 2015
Rubis:
Insightful points you have raised there Op, but I disagree with your No9 using my car as an example:- It consumes less fuel when I drive above 120 and so do other cars I've driven in the past.

to prove my point of maintaining 100km/hr (60mile/hr) speed or below for proper fuel optimisation.check out this article
www.mpgforspeed.com/

1 Like

Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by Rubis(m): 10:59pm On Apr 06, 2015
autologic:

to prove my point of maintaining 100km/hr (60mile/hr) speed or below for proper fuel optimisation.check out this article
www.mpgforspeed.com/

I've gone through the article but unfortunately I'm not convinced in spite of the graph drawn and the mathematical analysis!

My afore-mentioned statements was based on personal experience. And nothing beats experience.
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by honmusa(m): 8:39am On Apr 07, 2015
Rubis:

I've gone through the article but unfortunately I'm not convinced in spite of the graph drawn and the mathematical analysis!

My afore-mentioned statements was based on personal experience. And nothing beats experience.
Yes o bros ,Kazeems too get experience no wonder den dey perform American wonder grin grin grin
Re: Fuel Economy: Tips On How To Save Fuel by 9icetoo(m): 9:28am On Apr 07, 2015
Rubis:

The faster you go, the more wind resistance you meet, the more power your car demands to overcome this resistance and hence more fuel. Let me use athletics as an analogy. Hussein bolt can run 100 meters flat out in 9 seconds but is totally spent at the end of it. He puts in so much effort to maintain that maximum speed that he runs out of energy (fuel) by the time he crosses the finish line. If the hussein bolt was to jog to that finish line at a slower pace, he would have more energy at the end to even do ten more 100 meter laps. If your car has an on board mpg display or you can connect an obd device that can display this, you will realise that most cars experience a drop in mpg after 90-100km/hr. This does not apply to some v6 and other high capacity engines.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

P0016 Error On Camry 2005 / Hiject Daihatsu Mini Bus (korope) For Sale In Lagos. / I Need A Toyota Camry Or Corolla (200-2005) For Uber/taxify Business For 850

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.