Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? (25893 Views)

Fashionable Ankara Dresses U Can Rock To Work On Friday... / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by wabada(f): 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2006
This is not selling, its just an opinion survey;   

Would you buy Ankara Ready to wear online? You know like off-the rack clothes in different sizes.
I need your opinion about buying Ready to wear dresses, beautiful skirt and blouse in African textile. And if so, how much would you pay for say a dress in the currency of the country you are living in.
please just respond by typing, for example:

Yes    £30   
(or)
No   would rather buy material and sew
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Bhola(f): 11:23pm On Sep 05, 2006
Mos. def. I will. I am looking to change my wardrobe next year. Going all Nigerian. Mostly skirts and dresses tho. I have been seeing some very nice styles. If I see something that I like, at reasonable price, I sure will pick it up.

Ok, in line to the way you want the response:
Yes
Nothing more than 40 usd.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by wabada(f): 11:09am On Sep 07, 2006
thanks bhola, thought it should be that we can buy all this designs in sizes like you go into gap or any other stores . thanks for your input.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by biyibabe(f): 5:23pm On Sep 08, 2006
I prefer to buy my ankara material and have it sold 4 me cus its less expensive and i would be able to choose my own style, but if am to buy it it shouldnt be more than #1700.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by wabada(f): 11:23pm On Sep 08, 2006
biyibabe, by my calculations you would definitely spend more that 1700 just to sew not even adding the cost of the fabric. a good tailor in naija starts from 2500 and above. i think that RTW would cut down on cost and you dont always have to buy the 6yards, unless you find someone to share it with.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by spikedcylinder: 3:50pm On Sep 11, 2006
If i find an African print attire that has the perfect fit,i would buy it.
Thats a good business idea you know.There are things like that available but they are haute couture,rather expensice and not available to a common person like me.
$40 is how much?Is it more than 5 thousand naira?If its equvalent to 5 k then its reasonable,depending on the material and the fit o sha o
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by wabada(f): 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2006
I guess that would be reasonable! Abi O! na good business idea! thanks
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by omogenaija(f): 11:00pm On Oct 31, 2006
no 30 pounds is to much,
thats about $60,

i prefer to buy the material and have it sewn in naija, it wont cost no more than $40
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 5:35am On Nov 01, 2006
Ankara readymade- NO. Here in nigeria.it's quite expensive. It goes as high as N30,000 -N250,000.2 sew is cheaper-with N2,000-N7,000.U can get a very creative,stylish,exotic one.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 5:36am On Nov 01, 2006
Ankara readymade- NO. Here in nigeria.it's quite expensive. It goes as high as N30,000 -N250,000.2 sew is cheaper-with N2,000-N7,000.U can get a very creative,stylish,exotic one.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Bhola(f): 5:44am On Nov 01, 2006
I was wondering too, how come those clothes were expensive in Nigeria? Stupid desingers charging 30k for a gown. Won fa gbo ni? And trust the stupid girls in Nigeria, that's what they'll go for, to feel like big girls. Awon ode oshi. Why won't they be looking for aristos? When they keep living outside there budget. If, I pay 300 dollars for a dress, that dress sef, must be hmmm, make I no talk. Not to talk of buying an ankara gown for that much. It's not like we don't know how much opa ankara cost for market.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 5:49am On Nov 01, 2006
Even,if i have d money 2 patronize our main designers -tiffany amber.mudi,labanella,
adebayo jones etc.i 'll rather go 2 alade market on allen 2 get it sewn.
Imagine adebayo jones uk,always in town for shows dis days.was at his last fashion shows and he was like he spent 12 wks in creating an ankara gown with 4 people working on d stitching over 2000meters of ribbon.N370,000.just 4 one item.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Bhola(f): 6:03am On Nov 01, 2006
Aye ni o se. Hope I got it right. I am sure, the things pursuing him never go back. Awon ol[/i]e. Mehn, that is the thing I hate about Nigerians. I was going to go all Nigerian attire next year, but with a gown for 3000 dollars, where I go get the money? Even if I do have it, I sure will not spend it a gown. [i]Ankara ni a ma nso. Pls, I will go to Ogunpa market and I am sure I will be hooked up with correct ones. Ole burukus!
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:08am On Nov 01, 2006
Hollandis-N4,000-N10,000 for 6yrs
London wax/prints, same price as above
Ghana prints(vogue thing now)-N2,500 TO N5,000 FOR 6YRDS
NIGERIAN WAX-N2000-N5,000.although u can still get some lower 2 d price mentioned above but d quality differs.
A mth ago, i went 2 balogun 2 buy ankara and i got d best of ghana print-kosombo- for N1,800 4 6yards.
I bought 10 different ankara.i mixed them-ghana,nigeria wax,wooding etc
Wooding ankara is also in vogue-the latest entrant is a masterpiece.its designs are elicit gasps
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:08am On Nov 01, 2006
NIGERIAN WAX-N2000-N5,000.although u can still get some lower 2 d price mentioned above but d quality differs.
A mth ago, i went 2 balogun 2 buy ankara and i got d best of ghana print-kosombo- for N1,800 4 6yards.
Wooding ankara is also in vogue-the latest entrant is a masterpiece.its designs are elicit gasps
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:12am On Nov 01, 2006
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Bhola(f): 6:24am On Nov 01, 2006
I need to hook up with you, o. Seems you know wat's up. Wetin be your email address jo, make we do business. I so want to rock correct ankara gowns and skirts next year.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:30am On Nov 01, 2006
Took those ankara 2 my three designers
3 ankara-i pd N10,000 for dat(2 stylish pattern skirt&blouse and one flowing simple gown mixed with bridal satin) she's perfect
My 2nd tailor-i pd N5,000 to sewn 3 ankara, i told her 2 play around with d ankara pattern,designed it 4 her.and meh,u need 2 see it.very lovely .can't compare with those celebrity designer dat will cough out all ur money in d name of d label
D other tailor was a cotonuo guy who based here in lagos. I've not pay him but he charge me N6,000
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Bhola(f): 6:32am On Nov 01, 2006
Girl you need not let my mouth water o. Hook me up biko.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:41am On Nov 01, 2006
Fellyadet@gmail.com or
Fellyadet@yahoo.com. With time, before dec. I will try and take d pictures with those ankara and send it 2 ur email.then if u have anybody coming home,let me know so i can send u some fashion magazines-nigeria mag that showcase different designs on ankara,tye-dye,aso oke etc
Have u heard d latest on tye and dye.
It's in vogue now. Commonly use as aso ebi dis days even among d olowos-creme de-la-creme. And it ranges btw-N1,500-N3,000.u instruct them d design,pattern and colors u want
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:42am On Nov 01, 2006
Fellyadet@gmail.com or
Fellyadet@yahoo.com. With time, before dec. I will try and take d pictures with those ankara and send it 2 ur email.then if u have anybody coming home,let me know so i can send u some fashion magazines-nigeria mag that showcase different designs on ankara,tye-dye,aso oke etc
It's in vogue now. Commonly use as aso ebi dis days even among d olowos-creme de-la-creme. And it ranges btw-N1,500-N3,000.u instruct them d design,pattern and colors u want
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:44am On Nov 01, 2006
Felicia adedotun
It's a pleasure
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:49am On Nov 01, 2006
Kosi wahala-kosi repete.
Ki la wa fun ara fun
No probs
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:50am On Nov 01, 2006
Kosi wahala-kosi repete.
Ki la wa fun ara fun
No probs
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 6:50am On Nov 01, 2006
Kosi wahala-kosi repete.
Ki la wa fun ara fun
No probs
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Bhola(f): 6:52am On Nov 01, 2006
Ok Felicia, I'll send you a mail. Thanks girl!
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Motee(f): 11:11am On Nov 01, 2006
fellybabe:

Fellyadet@gmail.com or
Fellyadet@yahoo.com. With time, before dec. I will try and take d pictures with those ankara and send it 2 your email.then if u have anybody coming home,let me know so i can send u some fashion magazines-nigeria mag that showcase different designs on ankara,tye-dye,aso oke etc
It's in vogue now. Commonly use as aso ebi this days even among d olowos-creme de-la-creme. And it ranges between-N1,500-N3,000.u instruct them d design,pattern and colors u want

Please fellybabe, what are the names of those magazines in Lagos. Thanks.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by fellybabe(f): 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2006
@Motee
City people fashion and style digest
Wedding paparrazi
True love(red made ankara pages)             Encomium's lifestyle magazine

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by Motee(f): 12:44pm On Dec 18, 2006
Thanks dear.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by missb: 7:11pm On Jan 06, 2007
Hey guys just to gear off the topic a lil bit.
I live in the US and I am looking for where to buy nice african attire. I don't have a single one. I see a lot of young african ladies spotting nice african wear in weddings and other functions and i always wonder whether they bought it here or from naija. I need help with some info like websites or where I can get good materials and a good tailor to sew. Please Help. Thanks.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by omogenaija(f): 9:33pm On Jan 06, 2007
missb:

Hey guys just to gear off the topic a lil bit.
I live in the US and I am looking for where to buy nice african attire. I don't have a single one. I see a lot of young african ladies spotting nice african wear in weddings and other functions and i always wonder whether they bought it here or from naija. I need help with some info like websites or where I can get good materials and a good tailor to sew. Please Help. Thanks.

buy the african board magazine. or ask other nigerians , or try getting someone from nigeria.
Re: Would You Buy Ready-To-Wear Ankara Dresses Or Rather Sew ? by missb: 11:41pm On Jan 06, 2007
thanks@omogenaija

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Agree To Your Fiancee Wearing Trousers For Wedding? / Prince Alozie Winner Mr University Africa Competition / Surrati Designers Oil Perfume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.