Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,578 members, 7,812,878 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Question About Ps3 - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Question About Ps3 (3317 Views)

What Do I Need To Know About Ps3? / . / Urgent Help About Ps3 Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 12:14pm On Jan 24, 2009
My pipul, abeg I am a newcomer to video games and have a few questions to ask about PS3 especially because it is supposed to be a blu ray player also.

Is the PS3 blu ray player region free for DVDs? I'm told the PS3 are region free but what about DVD playback? I noticed that the regular blu ray player seems to be regionalized almost like the old DVD players?

Can I play the normal Chinese made DVDs that they sell in naija on a PS3? At least my current DVD player even though its region 2 can play all the Chinese made DVD. Can PS3 do the same?

Finally, which is better - PAL model bought in the UK or NTSC model from the US? Which format has more cool games?
Re: Question About Ps3 by iukpe: 12:14am On Jan 27, 2009
I have a PS3 sitting in my living room hooked up to my LCD TV. I must say its one of the best things ever built after the computer.
Any case, I bought my PS3 in PH over a year ago, and I have bought blu ray discs from Dubai and the USA and all play the same so that may mean they are all region compatible or something.
I play my locally sourced DVDs on it too and i cannot remeber it rejecting any.
Its a great multimedia center and i have bought games from Dubai and the USA all the same but not from the UK. What I have not bothered to check is which DVDs might be pal or whatever.
I may have to look into much detail to verify the region free concern that you have.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 12:59am On Jan 27, 2009
Posted by: iukpe

I have a PS3 sitting in my living room hooked up to my LCD TV. I must say its one of the best things ever built after the computer.
Any case, I bought my PS3 in PH over a year ago, and I have bought blu ray discs from Dubai and the USA and all play the same so that may mean they are all region compatible or something.
I play my locally sourced DVDs on it too and i cannot remeber it rejecting any.
Its a great multimedia center and i have bought games from Dubai and the USA all the same but not from the UK. What I have not bothered to check is which DVDs might be pal or whatever.
I may have to look into much detail to verify the region free concern that you have.

Thank you very much my brother. A suggestion - if you still have the carton and the owner's manual, can you check whether they say its a PAL or NTSC model of PS3? I don't know much about PS3 but I believe the model sold in the US is an NTSC model that plays NTSC games only but I am not sure. Thanks again - I'm grateful.
Re: Question About Ps3 by Nobody: 3:31am On Jan 27, 2009
PS3 is region free, no worries you can buy from any where in the world and it will still play on the black machine.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 10:55am On Jan 27, 2009
thanks for the confirmation!
Re: Question About Ps3 by Sauron1: 4:37pm On Jan 27, 2009
Alec:

PS3 is region free, no worries you can buy from any where in the world and it will still play on the black machine.

Not exactly!!!

PS3 system itself is region free but it's the game developers who lock it down.
Sony promised all their titles will be region free but they cannot stop other publishers from enforcing region coding.
So, don't be surprised if u purchase some games from UK/USA and it might not play on your system.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 4:52pm On Jan 27, 2009
Sauron,

Thanks! Is it better to buy the NTSC version or the PAL versions of PS3? Which one is more popular in Nigeria?
Re: Question About Ps3 by Sauron1: 5:15pm On Jan 27, 2009
blacklion:

Sauron,
Thanks! Is it better to buy the NTSC version or the PAL versions of PS3? Which one is more popular in Nigeria?

I don't stay in Nigeria but i know this much. . . . .

North America and Japan use NTSC television standards(480i) while Europe uses PAL(576i) on STANDARD DEFINITION.
This means the USA PS3 is not configured to handle the extra 96 lines of imaging
The only way OUT OF THIS MESS is to get an HDTV(720i) cos all PS3 titles support this standard.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 5:26pm On Jan 27, 2009
OK, I have an LG HDTV with 720i and 1080p, PAL/SECAM/NTSC and HDMI ports. Does this mean if I connect either a PAL PS3 or an NTSC PS3 to the HDTV, both can playback PS3 games from both Europe and US?
Re: Question About Ps3 by Sauron1: 5:29pm On Jan 27, 2009
blacklion:

OK, I have an LG HDTV with 720i and 1080p, PAL/SECAM/NTSC and HDMI ports. Does this mean if I connect either a PAL PS3 or an NTSC PS3 to the HDTV, both can playback PS3 games from both Europe and US?

It would PLAY all titles on the PS3(USA/UK/JPN/AUS etc) plus the ones made in HELL. grin grin grin grin grin
The only people affected are the ones using standard definition TV.
With ur HDTV(High Definition), u have no problem AT ALL.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 5:37pm On Jan 27, 2009
Thanks very much, bros. Your kindness is appreciated. Now I'm ready to buy PS3 with full confidence of value for my money!
Re: Question About Ps3 by lexyman(m): 5:51pm On Jan 27, 2009
blacklion
u can play dvd on your console and aswell download movies, to the harddrive, forget about region ps3 consoles are region free. and sure u will get the value for wot u've paid for
Re: Question About Ps3 by vowiski(m): 11:18pm On Jan 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

Not exactly!!!

PS3 system itself is region free but it's the game developers who lock it down.

u re a joke!
what u dont know, u dont say.

So, don't be surprised if u purchase some games from UK/USA and it might not play on your system.
you even sound more foolish than i tought.

Sony promised all their titles will be region free but they cannot stop other publishers from enforcing region coding.
and that promise has been kept.
i have never heard of any complain as regarding this issue.
Re: Question About Ps3 by dinozzo(m): 11:49pm On Jan 27, 2009
Its region free, though I haven't bought a game outside the UK.
Re: Question About Ps3 by cabali(m): 4:21pm On Jan 28, 2009
vowiski:

u re a joke!

I see no reason why u should attack anyone here. U have not made any contribution to assist the poster with his questions neither have u said anything intelligent. The first thing u say is abusive and u still had nothing meaningful to say. i advise u keep it closed wink
Re: Question About Ps3 by Sauron1: 7:53pm On Jan 28, 2009
vowiski:

u re a joke!

Anutha onanist on the loose. . . . .Democracy has allowed the mentally-handicapped patients to use the internet UNmonitored.

Go and learn how to SPELL properly before making a fool o'utta yaself.
Serial self-servicer like you arguing over what u know nuthing about.

So because u have heard no complaint means it doesn't happen??
At this point, i am willing to bet your IQ and that of a cockroach are at par.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 8:07pm On Jan 28, 2009
Does any one know if the American model of PS3 runs only on 110volts? Or does it run 110v-240v? Thanks!
Re: Question About Ps3 by Sauron1: 8:23pm On Jan 28, 2009
blacklion:

Does any one know if the American model of PS3 runs only on 110volts? Or does it run 110v-240v? Thanks!

Any PS3 will work anywhere in the world cos it comes with an in-built transformer.
I have taken mine from Europe to the States and it worked perfectly.
The PS3 is universal power. cool
If it isn't then it won't be region-free.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 8:30pm On Jan 28, 2009
Sauron, thanks again. I really appreciate your patience!
Re: Question About Ps3 by kosovo(m): 5:28am On Jan 29, 2009
cabali:

I see no reason why u should attack anyone here. U have not made any contribution to assist the poster with his questions neither have u said anything intelligent. The first thing u say is abusive and u still had nothing meaningful to say. i advise u keep it closed wink

Cabali, i can see you at it again. didn't you know ~Sauron~ was DUMB! and mentally impaired?
~Sauron~ claims to know shit, when he doesn't know a damn thing.
he is just a waste. people like you keep drawing humanity BACKWARD.
Re: Question About Ps3 by vowiski(m): 5:44am On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

Any PS3 will work anywhere in the world cos it comes with an in-built transformer.
I have taken mine from Europe to the States and it worked perfectly.
The PS3 is universal power. cool
If it isn't then it won't be region-free.
Funny how you sound more like a RETARD!
why do you contradict your self.

Go and learn how to SPELL properly before making a fool o'utta yaself.
Serial self-servicer like you arguing over what u know nuthing about.
have you read through your posts over again, if you have u should have realized how
riddiculous your are.

So because u have heard no complaint means it doesn't happen??
At this point, i am willing to bet your IQ and that of a cockroach are at par.
is it not foolish being you? out of the 20 million ps3 users, you are the only one who has bought a game in one
region and did not work in another.
an abortion would have done the miracle, but how about leaving a fagot who has no purpose in life but no annoy the general online population.
~Sauron~ , get a life.

@cabali, it not that you don't know, you dont just get it. and you will never.
isnt it the same guy that goes about the whole forum ranting like a PIG? huh? shocked
wierd fellas.
Re: Question About Ps3 by vowiski(m): 6:55am On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~, few people think you are a great asset, but i told them you were off by two letters.
you are an ass man.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 7:06am On Jan 29, 2009
My people, no fighting abeg. One love please grin

Rather than fight, why not just give your own contribution to the questions I asked. Here they are again. I want to buy a PS3 but I’m not sure whether to buy from UK or US. My questions are as follows -

Is it better to buy the NTSC version from US or the PAL version from Europe? Which version of PS3 is more popular in Nigeria? Are NTSC PS3 games available in Nigeria?

Does any one know if the American model of PS3 runs only on 110volts? Or does it run on 110v-240v?

I have an LG HDTV with 720i and 1080p. It is a multi-system - PAL/SECAM/NTSC and has 2 HDMI ports. Does this mean if I connect either a PAL PS3 or an NTSC PS3 to the HDTV, both can playback PS3 games from both Europe and US?

Can I play the normal China DVDs that they sell in naija on a PS3? My current DVD players [whether region 1 or 2 can play all the Chinese made DVD. I believe the China DVDs are region free but I’m not sure whether they are NTSC or PAL. Can PS3 play the China DVDs without any problems?

Thanks!
Re: Question About Ps3 by lexyman(m): 11:32am On Jan 29, 2009
u can buy any of the version , either ntsc version or the pal version.definately it will serve the purpose u need it for. u can either go for a 40gb, 80gb or the newer model that comes with the 160gb. bro game is fun!
Re: Question About Ps3 by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 29, 2009
PS3 games are region-free.
To play Blu-rays and DVDs, it still does the region coding thing.
The PS3 will also play most video file formats downloaded off the internet, including Divx.
the American model is 110v-240v. In Europe and Asia, you might end up with 220-240v.
Also, forget about PAL/NTSC. Just go with the HDMI port.

Summary;
Any version you pick up will work with any game you buy, your TV and the nigerian voltage. But might discriminate with your DVDs if they have the wrong region coding.
Re: Question About Ps3 by vowiski(m): 9:04pm On Jan 29, 2009
blacklion:

Rather than fight, why not just give your own contribution to the questions I asked. Here they are again. I want to buy a PS3 but I’m not sure whether to buy from UK or US. My questions are as follows -

Is it better to buy the NTSC version from US or the PAL version from Europe? Which version of PS3 is more popular in Nigeria? Are NTSC PS3 games available in Nigeria?

Does any one know if the American model of PS3 runs only on 110volts? Or does it run on 110v-240v?

I have an LG HDTV with 720i and 1080p. It is a multi-system - PAL/SECAM/NTSC and has 2 HDMI ports. Does this mean if I connect either a PAL PS3 or an NTSC PS3 to the HDTV, both can playback PS3 games from both Europe and US?

Can I play the normal China DVDs that they sell in naija on a PS3? My current DVD players [whether region 1 or 2 can play all the Chinese made DVD. I believe the China DVDs are region free but I’m not sure whether they are NTSC or PAL. Can PS3 play the China DVDs without any problems?

Thanks!

i ve been reading tru everything, but i had to act swiftly cos people can get misinformed and mislead by some inebraited beings.
. i started playing games when i was 5. and i ve played over 12 game consoles and over 1000 IPs. i have been a gaming editor and contributor to numerous gamming bodies, and my sense of fairness,  valid information and contributions
to the development of gamming is palpable.
so talking about fighting, i am way too civilized and democratic for that.
ps3 is region free, it doesnt matter which model u buy. be it NTSC or PAL.  it's all good.
the question i expected you to ask was " which games should i buy, which has the highest ratings, what size should i buy  i.e in terms of HDD, and stuff like that.
the ps3 is most poweful game consloe mankind has ever made.
when you get it, i assure you NO REGRETS.
cheers!
playb3yound!
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 9:37am On Jan 30, 2009
@ vowiski,

Bros, thanks very much for the informative comments. I'd like to take you up on your offer of more info grin

I'm using the PS3 in naija, so which size of HDD is better? 80GB or 160GB? I was told the 60GB model that was compatible with PS2 games is no more in production. Is this true?

Which PS3 games has the highest ratings? Which ones will you recommend for a 10yrs old boy?

Also, between PS3 and PSP, which do you prefer/recommend? Which one has the better games?
Re: Question About Ps3 by lexyman(m): 4:44pm On Jan 30, 2009
depending on ur choice , u can buy an 80gb ps3  to cut cost. it will be nice if u allow the 10yr old boy to make selection for himself , video game falls in different categories;
    * Adventure .
    * Fighting
    * Puzzle
    * Racing

* Role-Playing
    * Shooter
    * Simulation
    * Sports
    * Strategy
frm these categories, u can make a choice depending on the rating , for a 10yr old boy .

Call lexyman  on 08023321050  for more information . believe me our games are cheap ,and we  stock  varies of games
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 4:53pm On Jan 30, 2009
@ lexyman,

thanks! will give you a call when i receive the PS3.
Re: Question About Ps3 by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 30, 2009
Note; PS3s use laptop Hard Drives. So they can be upgraded to any drive size u like, in case you exhaust the 80gb.
Re: Question About Ps3 by blacklion(m): 7:16pm On Jan 30, 2009
@ khai khai,

thanks for the info. pls excuse my ignorance but i'm a little confused. why would i exhaust a whole 80GB? I thought the PS3 plays the games from the PS3 disc. Does one have to download the game from the disc to the hard drive in order to play it? I thought the hard drive was there basically to store things temporarily like photos, mp3s, movie files etc. Please clarify. Thanks again.
Re: Question About Ps3 by lexyman(m): 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2009
this depends on you, u can manage ur harddrive d way u want, basically the hdd is meant for wot u have mentioned, for some old version of ps3 games u can save some games to d hdd but they're not playable essence of this is to facilitate quick loading . i don't think it is applicable to the new games. but with time buying ps3 wit larger hdd capacity may be of good advantage,

(1) (2)

Toto Sports Gambling: Why To Choose A Verification Server For Betting? / Football Manager Mobile 2017: Local Champion Challenge / Top 10 Games You Should Never Miss Out Playing On Your Android Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.