Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,557 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? (25357 Views)

Nigeria To Begin Rice Exportation - Prof. Bola Okuneye / Nigeria To Establish A Development Bank / How Can One Send Money From Nigeria To Ghana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 3:10pm On Apr 03, 2015
Hello Friends,

I am was instructed by the Executive Customer Relations of one of the biggest e-commerce sites in the world to send my proposal in writing to their corporate address in the states. This sufficed after I had emailed the CEO, which he forwarded to their ECR to handle on his behalf.

What will be the best reliable courier service to use and what are their rates based on your experience? I would like to have it delivered at most within 7 days.

Services in mind are:

NIPOST
DHL
UPS
EMS
FEDEX.

While speaking to a friend a while ago, he said last time, someone in his presence paid 27,000 Naira just to have a letter sent shocked shocked shocked. isn't that outrageously costing the moon? Thus, I am writing to find out what it cost to send JUST a letter of one page. Kindly help a brother. Thanks.

cc: Oladayo042, mayorall, ideology, surveycash, justwise, seun, ishilove, dav8id, ymodulus
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by mymadam(m): 3:19pm On Apr 03, 2015
Don't know about current courier prices (Just walk into their office to find out). However, last week, a normal letter (via air mail) was dispatched to the USA via Nipost for NGN150. Meanwhile, I'll advise that you inform the US outfit that you intend to send the proposal to them via courier service. Ordinarily, they would NOT sign for any package for various reasons... copyright infringement, etc. Good luck. God bless a UNITED Nigeria

1 Like

Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 3:47pm On Apr 03, 2015
mymadam:
Don't know about current courier prices (Just walk into their office to find out). However, last week, a normal letter (via air mail) was dispatched to the USA via Nipost for NGN150. Meanwhile, I'll advise that you inform the US outfit that you intend to send the proposal to them via courier service. Ordinarily, they would NOT sign for any package for various reasons... copyright infringement, etc. Good luck. God bless a UNITED Nigeria
Thank you. I do not know if they will reply me by same medium as I do not even have a P.O yet. Gone are the days when one can receive let at his house. What do you advice in this case because where I currently reside is a newly developing area. We are the first in our Avenue to move in and ever since, some other folks have been erecting their own structures.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by mymadam(m): 4:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
iwatch:
Thank you. I do not know if they will reply me by same medium as I do not even have a P.O yet...

Again, ordinarily, many organizations are simply too busy to consider sending a member of staff to the P.O. Most negotiations happen online... from their comfort zone... the office! However, you may inquire from them if they would consider returning the package to you via air mail... if rejected. You will need to pay for this, unless the organization agreed beforehand that it is indeed a solicited correspondence. Meanwhile, if the package is going to contain an intellectual property, I advise that you quickly do a free basic copyright protection here in Nigeria before you send it out. I hope this helps. I wish you the very best. Nigeria rocks!
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 4:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
mymadam:

Again, ordinarily, many organizations are simply too busy to consider sending a member of staff to the P.O. Most negotiations happen online... from their comfort zone... the office! However, you may inquire from them if they would consider returning the package to you via air mail... if rejected. You will need to pay for this, unless the organization agreed beforehand that it is indeed a solicited correspondence. Meanwhile, if the package is going to contain an intellectual property, I advise that you quickly do a free basic copyright protection here in Nigeria before you send it out. I hope this helps. I wish you the very best. Nigeria rocks!

grin grin My Madam, na domain matter be this o. No package mbok. You should know who is behind this handle from the domain thread. Well, here is what has transpired. I wrote to the CEO of the ecommerce company and he forwarded the said email to the ECR in order to respond on his behalf. It's was much expected based on my research before I emailed him.

My guess is that:

They have a department that handles such within the org and they had purchased similar domains in last few months to which mine is comparably better than anyone they had purchased, at least to the best of my knowledge.

They need to document the letter as they have investors and shareholders to respond to. Hence the need for a physical letter for documentation purpose. I know, normally, they could have just printed it out and filed it but probably want to be more corporate and formal in their dealings; by extension, it's probably their corporate culture to respond this way.

Yes, it's an intellectual property deal but no Copyright infringement. Of course, I will use the normal process for ventures like this, which is Escrow for final pay.

Since we are currently on public holiday, I will just have to wait till Tuesday before I proceed.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by surveycash(m): 4:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
iwatch:
Hello Friends,

I am was instructed by the Executive Customer Relations of one of the biggest e-commerce sites in the world to send my proposal in writing to their corporate address in the states. This sufficed after I had emailed the CEO, which he forwarded to their ECR to handle on his behalf.

What will be the best reliable courier service to use and what are their rates based on your experience? I would like to have it delivered at most within 7 days.

Services in mind are:

NIPOST
DHL
UPS
EMS
FEDEX.

While speaking to a friend a while ago, he said last time, someone in his presence paid 27,000 Naira just to have a letter sent shocked shocked shocked. isn't that outrageously costing the moon? Thus, I am writing to find out what it cost to send JUST a letter of one page. Kindly help a brother. Thanks.

cc: Oladayo042, mayorall, ideology, surveycash, justwise, seun, ishilove, dav8id, ymodulus

DHL is currently running a promo for 11k. Check their nearest office for details.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by mymadam(m): 4:46pm On Apr 03, 2015
iwatch:
...They need to document the letter as they have investors and shareholders to respond to. Hence the need for a physical letter for documentation purpose. I know, normally, they could have just printed it out and filed it but probably want to be more corporate and formal in their dealings...

smiley Ha, ha, ha, okay I just didn't want to poke my nose into another man's affair, that's why I did not insist on knowing the exact nature of the proposal. Now that I know;

1. I suggest you follow the first reply I gave you by contacting them ASAP. But then, come to think of it, you really DO NOT need your proposal back since you would have made your copy AND they already know the details anyway but they cannot use your domain unless they buy or lease it from you.

2. I sincerely wish you an extremely successful 2015 in the domain space.

grin Remember... we go wash am ooo! You're blessed. Nigeria rocks!

1 Like

Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 4:57pm On Apr 03, 2015
mymadam:

smiley Ha, ha, ha, okay I just didn't want to poke my nose into another man's affair, that's why I did not insist on knowing the exact nature of the proposal. Now that I know;

1. I suggest you follow the first reply I gave you by contacting them ASAP. But then, come to think of it, you really DO NOT need your proposal back since you would have made your copy AND they already know the details anyway but they cannot use your domain unless they buy or lease it from you.

2. I sincerely wish you an extremely successful 2015 in the domain space.

grin Remember... we go wash ooo! You're blessed. Nigeria rocks!
Thanks. I understand I do not need the proposal back but at least after receiving it, they may want to reply. So, I was just trying to know if they will reply the letter or simply use email to get back to me.

Is NIPOST a good medium to use for this purpose and how long will it take them to send it to the states? Hope they are reliable o. NIPOST office no too far. It's at the center of my CITY. I go hit there on Tuesday. Thanks.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 4:59pm On Apr 03, 2015
surveycash:

DHL is currently running a promo for 11k. Check their nearest office for details.
thanks boss... you just disappeared. But 11k for 1 leave letter is much sha. I will find out all the same thanks.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by jonescyras(m): 5:11pm On Apr 03, 2015
Write your letter in an A4 paper, scan the shit and send it through email!...
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by mymadam(m): 5:15pm On Apr 03, 2015
iwatch:
...Is NIPOST a good medium to use for this purpose and how long will it take them to send it to the states? Hope they are reliable o...

If you simply want to post it via air mail (cost NGN150 last week), NIPOST informed me that it was going to take about 10 working days from the SW to the USA! I was shocked but I needed to send so I did. Reliable? A long time ago, I sent a package abroad (not USA) via EMS (cost NGN5,400) but after several weeks it never arrived. After much bla, bla, bla, we discovered that the package was accidentally sent to another country! It was later re-routed, after my written petition to the NIPOST post-master general. But that was then, maybe things have changed with this hurricane of change blowing across Nigeria. wink Well, NIPOST na we own, make we give dem the benefit of the doubt. Okay, here's wishing you the very best. Nigeria rocks!

1 Like

Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by puskin: 6:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
Since they want it to be so formal, why can't you just FAX the letter.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 7:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
mymadam:

If you simply want to post it via air mail (cost NGN150 last week), NIPOST informed me that it was going to take about 10 working days from the SW to the USA! I was shocked but I needed to send so I did. Reliable? A long time ago, I sent a package abroad (not USA) via EMS (cost NGN5,400) but after several weeks it never arrived. After much bla, bla, bla, we discovered that the package was accidentally sent to another country! It was later re-routed, after my written petition to the NIPOST post-master general. But that was then, maybe things have changed with this hurricane of change blowing across Nigeria. wink Well, NIPOST na we own, make we give them the benefit of the doubt. Okay, here's wishing you the very best. Nigeria rocks!
Thanks. I think I will give NIPOST the chance. Me no fit pay 5k for deal wey never sure abeg.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 6:31pm On Apr 06, 2015
puskin:
Since they want it to be so formal, why can't you just FAX the letter.
they didn't give me fax number. Thanks.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 2:47am On May 09, 2015
smiley
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 4:02am On May 09, 2015
No mind me jare. After so much search, I found a thread on nairaland that discussed issues like this. When you send a parcel to the US, NIPOST give you tracking number. Use the tracking number to the website of the postal service at the destination country for your parcel to track it.

Even though NIPOST didn't update their website, the package had been delivered with me even knowing. I had to go to USPS website to track it and it had been delivered since 21 of April to the company in question.
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by Tradesrunner(m): 9:27am On May 09, 2015
Used Dhl Recently And Was Charged 11k
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by Tradesrunner(m): 9:27am On May 09, 2015
Used Dhl And Was Charged 11k
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by Tradesrunner(m): 9:28am On May 09, 2015
Used Dhl Recently And Was Charged 11k. Seems Like A Promo Though
Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by iwatch: 2:31pm On May 12, 2015
Tradesrunner:
Used Dhl Recently And Was Charged 11k. Seems Like A Promo Though
I paid N500 for mine to be delivered and it was faster grin grin grin. The fault was from me and I didn't know that when your tracking number is given to you, you start tracking your package at website of the destination for the package.

For instance, mine was going to the US. Instead tracking it via NIPOST, tracked it a few days ago at USPS, which is the US version of NIPOST.

See the screenshot below.
Track details in case you didnt see it on phone
Parcel was sent on the 9th of April via NIPOST

Got to Newyork on 16th, April that's 3 days less than the day I was told it will arrive US(10 DAYS)

Went through USPS facility based in Hartford on 18th,
Departed Hartford on 20th,April
Arrived Seattle on on 20th,April

Delivered to the company in Seattle on 21th of April

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will Cost Me To Send A Letter From Nigeria To USA? by olusegun15: 3:48pm On Jul 09, 2015
There are a few options for sending documents/letters in the US reliably. This quora post lists some of them: http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-create-and-send-snail-mail-from-pdfs-e-mails

Your options are:
Milsapp.com
https://www.mailform.io (25% discount for using the Promo code "NAIRALAND"wink
postalmethods.com
https://www.Lob.com (if you're an engineer)
Kite.ly (if you're an engineer)

(1) (Reply)

Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime / Lagos Stadium: Business Owners Lament Seven-day Eviction Notice / Mile 12 Market Comes Back To Life After Deadly Tribal Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.