Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time (1055 Views)

10 Tips On How To Protect Your PC (windows) From Hackers & Viruses / How To Remove All Viruses From Your Computer Using Rescue USB Disk. / 14 Computer Viruses That Brought The Internet To Its Knees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by kengreatleads(m): 10:06pm On Apr 06, 2015
In a nutshell, a virus is a self-replicating program written to cause harm to your computer or allow someone else to take control of your computer. These malicious, vicious, ruthless… “bad belle” programs can not only destroy your computer, they can eat up your files faster than Usain Bolt…yes, faster than Mr. Usain Bolt!
Despite the huge number of virus roaming the internet, these 5 according to Norton stood out as the most dreaded viruses of all time. Sit, relax and grab a cup of coffee or zobo as I present to you the top 5 craziest viruses of all time.

5. SQL SLAMMER (2003)
Estimated damage cost: 1.2 billion dollars

SQL Slammer is a computer worm (also called Sapphire) that caused a denial of service on some Internet hosts and dramatically slowed down general Internet traffic. It spread rapidly, infecting most of its 75,000 victims within ten minutes. It target victims are companies running SQL servers, leaving out home computer users.
Only a few minutes after infecting its first Internet server, the Slammer virus was doubling its number of victims every 8.5 seconds. Fifteen minutes after its first attack, the Slammer virus infected nearly half of the servers that hold up the internet.
Among its list of victims was Bank of America’s ATMs, a 911 emergency response system in Washington State, Continental Airlines and a nuclear plant in Ohio.

4. CODE RED (2001)
Estimated damage cost: 2.6 billion dollars
Code Red was a worm that exploited operating system vulnerability in machines running Windows 2000 and Windows NT. This allowed it to deface and take down some websites, most memorably; Code Red was able to take down the whitehouse.gov website and forced other government agencies to temporarily take down their own public websites as well to avoid its spread.
The worm spread by randomly selecting 100 IP addresses at a time, scanning the computers for the Microsoft operating systems (i.e. Windows 2000 and Windows NT) and then spreading only to those computers.

3. I LOVE YOU (2000)
Estimated damage cost: 15 billion dollars

An innocent looking email attachment labeled “I LOVE YOU”, in big, bold caps. When opened, It didn’t do just one thing, it spread its tentacles deep into a computer, copying itself several times and hiding in folders on the hard drive, replacing other files with copies of itself and adding new files into the computer’s registry. It also downloaded a file that stole passwords and secretly emailed the information to hackers. The virus once downloaded emailed itself to the first 50 contacts in the user’s Windows address book.

2. SOBIG. F (2003)
Estimated damage cost: 37.1 billion dollars

Sobig.F was a computer worm that infected millions of Internet-connected, Microsoft Windows computers through email. It also is a Trojan, as it disguises itself as something other than malware. Once the user opened the email, it triggered the worm, which then went hunting for email addresses to send the virus to.
The flood of messages it then sent were capable of succumbing other users’ inboxes or computer systems by the sheer volume of emails. It briefly brought down freight and computer traffic in Washington, D.C. to a halt, grounded Air Canada and slowed down computer systems at many major companies.

1. MY DOOM (2004)
Estimated damage cost: 38 billion dollars

My doom is a computer worm affecting Microsoft Windows. First sighted on January 26, 2004, it became the fastest-spreading e-mail worm ever (as of January 2004), exceeding previous records set by the Sobig. F and ILOVEYOU.
It spread through email and peer-to-peer file sharing networks enabling it to dig deep into the web. It manifested through an email attachment which usually had a harmless title such as ‘Mail Delivery System’ or ‘Mail Transaction Failed’. Naturally, many people opened the attachment.
Its aim was to assault Google, AltaVista and Lycos and at its peak managed to shut down Google for almost a day. It also attacked other websites and one company put up a €250,000 reward to find its creator. They never did find him, or her, but it’s widely believed they were somewhere in Russia.

Ok folks, there you have them, the top 5 craziest viruses of all time. Believe me, a virus attack is the last thing you want on your computer. Before a virus strikes, you need to protect your computer with very efficient antivirus software that has a multiple detection layer and also updates new virus signatures regularly. Prevention is better than cure; keep your computer safe from viruses, before they strike.

for more interesting posts visit my blog: thypcdoc.com
Re: Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 06, 2015
Thank God these crazy viruses only affects gadgets and not humans.
Re: Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by richol(m): 10:47pm On Apr 06, 2015
(2015) orubebitis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by holysaint1(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2015
richol:
(2015) orubebitis

lol
Re: Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by tovick(m): 4:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
Op what about Rila Odinga?
Re: Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by misspatsy(f): 6:30pm On Apr 08, 2015
richol:
(2015) orubebitis
I think dis is a human virus lmao grin grin
Re: Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by febbymi: 8:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
Yeah odinga,, caught that one nasty thing.
Re: Top 5 Craziest Pc Viruses Of All Time by richol(m): 8:54pm On Apr 08, 2015
misspatsy:
I think dis is a human virus lmao grin grin
sure patsy

(1) (Reply)

Acer Aspire One 160gb HDD And 1gb Ram Expandable To 2gb / These 10 Windows 8 Tricks And Hacks Will Shock You / Tokunbo Hp Elitebook 6930p Battery Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.