Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,509 members, 7,850,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:28 AM

Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy (908 Views)

Read Toke Makinwa's 'On Becoming' Book: Why Maje Didn't Get Her Pregnant & More / Toke Makinwa Called A Lesbian For Posting This Sexy Pix On Her IG / Read Toke Makinwa, Beverly Naya Reactions To Bruce Jenner’s Explosive Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy by contactmorak: 9:56am On Apr 07, 2015
Media personality shared on instagram this morning her opinion concerning tribal differences. With this, we've just reached a new level of respect for this lady....

'There is so much to say on this topic, it is heartbreaking but real. Tribalism has been and is still been practiced today. Lagos is home for everyone, our generation knows better too. Let's not let this come in between us, the OBA's statement was ignorant but do we really blame him? We all at some point in our lives have been on the receiving end of acts of tribalism. Let's take out the tension and be real with each-other. Our parents generation practiced tribalism openly and they were not corrected. In some homes befriending people from other tribes was frowned on, marrying from another tribe is still being frowned on today, tribalism even from people of the same tribe is real too. What we need is to educate and not instigate. I had Igbo friends growing up, I was the only Yoruba girl in the midst of Igbo girls. Did they make fun of me? Sometimes but it wasn't out of malice. We lived, we loved and we are still very close. I have had a friend's mum tell me "haaa omo ondo ni e? Mi o mo ooo, a kin ba ondo sore" meaning - I'm from Ondo? She didn't know.... If she had, she won't let her daughter befriend me cos they don't like Ondo people, Ondo and Ijebu don't mix... I was shocked. She went ahead and said "You Ondo people are wicked".
My friend is from  Ijebu ooooo, we are both Yoruba girls and that statement was made by her mum. We are still friends today and her mum got over it. Please educate people around you. Vote who you want, vote your conscience but please stop with the tribalism comments. Our beauty is in our diversity. It is a distraction, don't fall for it. Let's all live as one.

http://www.splendormag.com/2015/04/must-read-toke-makinwas-opinion-about.html

1 Like

Re: Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy by contactmorak: 10:03am On Apr 07, 2015
For me, my best relationships have been with Igbo and Hausa ladies and I won't mind marrying one, we youth should neve allow dis old men and politicians seperate us cos of their own selfish interests. We are one irrespective of tribe.

1 Like

Re: Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 07, 2015
Making sense.
Re: Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy by otipoju(m): 10:10am On Apr 07, 2015
This statements by the Oba is not merely about votes.. It is about guests plotting to take over the territory of their host.

If you get that, you will have empathy for him as the Oba of a place being taunted that it is no man's land. He has been taunted all this while that his domain is no mans land and his people have been repeatedly called cowards, now the so called coward has come out to announce his presence and remind you " this is my land"

Nobody will be killed but harsh economic policies to make life uncomfortable for those traders would be effected to remind them that someone owns that land.

The igbos are the ones who really need to stop provoking and taunting people.

You have your territory, develop it and let it be the envy of all and sundry instead of calling people cowards, slaves to the hausas and the detestable words.

While the Oba may have been more careful in his choice of words, he does not regret anything he said and they are having the desired effect.... Reminding igbos that they are guests in his land and should know their boundaries... Because what they are tryingbto do in his domain, they can never accept in Igbo land.

Toke...the ijebuman will not go to ondo and tell them he wants to be governor there because it is no mans land.

While I am not in support of his choice of words, I understand his frustrations completely.
Re: Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy by CHM11: 10:57am On Apr 07, 2015
otipoju:
This statements by the Oba is not merely about votes.. It is about guests plotting to take over the territory of their host.

If you get that, you will have empathy for him as the Oba of a place being taunted that it is no man's land. He has been taunted all this while that his domain is no mans land and his people have been repeatedly called cowards, now the so called coward has come out to announce his presence and remind you " this is my land"

Nobody will be killed but harsh economic policies to make life uncomfortable for those traders would be effected to remind them that someone owns that land.

The igbos are the ones who really need to stop provoking and taunting people.

You have your territory, develop it and let it be the envy of all and sundry instead of calling people cowards, slaves to the hausas and the detestable words.

While the Oba may have been more careful in his choice of words, he does not regret anything he said and they are having the desired effect.... Reminding igbos that they are guests in his land and should know their boundaries... Because what they are tryingbto do in his domain, they can never accept in Igbo land.

Toke...the ijebuman will not go to ondo and tell them he wants to be governor there because it is no mans land.

While I am not in support of his choice of words, I understand his frustrations completely.
Then I guess the Oil in SS regions should not be used by Nigerian government to develop other regions including the yoruba land. The oil belongs to the people of Niger Delta since Lagos belongs to the yorubas.

This is a federation and a time will come when a yoruba man will be able to run for the governor of Akwaibom state while an hausa man runs for Lagos state and an igbo man runs for Kano state.

If this isn't the vision of our true democracy, then the Nigerian government should stop robbing peter to pay paul in terms of Crude Oil and LNG.

Every land in Nigeria belongs to Nigerians and we should all have equal rights just as every mineral found in any land belongs to Nigerians.....Isn't this what Yoruba's and Hausa's preach when Oil is the issue?

3 Likes

Re: Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy by otipoju(m): 2:34pm On Apr 07, 2015
CHM11:

Then I guess the Oil in SS regions should not be used by Nigerian government to develop other regions including the yoruba land. The oil belongs to the people of Niger Delta since Lagos belongs to the yorubas.

This is a federation and a time will come when a yoruba man will be able to run for the governor of Akwaibom state while an hausa man runs for Lagos state and an igbo man runs for Kano state.

If this isn't the vision of our true democracy, then the Nigerian government should stop robbing peter to pay paul in terms of Crude Oil and LNG.

Every land in Nigeria belongs to Nigerians and we should all have equal rights just as every mineral found in any land belongs to Nigerians.....Isn't this what Yoruba's and Hausa's preach when Oil is the issue?

My simple question is this why did the Igbo's reject Chris Ngige of Anambra simply because he was associating with Yoruba APC as they put it.

Rocha's okorocha is detested by majority of his kin because he is in a Yoruba party.

My brother you cannot eat your cake and have it.

You want nothing to do with Yoruba's yet you want to stay on their land, do business and rule over them.

My brother it cannot work. I lived in Kano for a year, nobody taught me to respect my hosts. I never taunted them for one day

The Igbos need to decide what they want...but you cannot be causing trouble in Yoruba land with your utterances and actions.

Nobody hates them..it is them who are schizophrenic.
Re: Must-read: Toke Makinwa's Opinion About Ongoing Tribalism Controversy by CHM11: 4:37pm On Apr 07, 2015
otipoju:

My simple question is this why did the Igbo's reject Chris Ngige of Anambra simply because he was associating with Yoruba APC as they put it.

Rocha's okorocha is detested by majority of his kin because he is in a Yoruba party.

My brother you cannot eat your cake and have it.

You want nothing to do with Yoruba's yet you want to stay on their land, do business and rule over them.

My brother it cannot work. I lived in Kano for a year, nobody taught me to respect my hosts. I never taunted them for one day

The Igbos need to decide what they want...but you cannot be causing trouble in Yoruba land with your utterances and actions.

Nobody hates them..it is them who are schizophrenic.
Chris Ngige lost simply because majority in the east didn't like him/his party. Every citizen resident in the east has a right to vote for whoever they like. Goodluck Jonathan lost and nobody is questioning why he is detested by the yorubas and the North.

If resources in one region is used by everybody, that means every land in the country belongs to everybody.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pics Singer Sefiya Goes Braless In A Pictured Shared On Instagram / Dbanj Finally Clear The Air Abpout Debt Allegations / She Cares More About Twerking Than Raising Their Son. Tyga To Blac Chyna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.