Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55243 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 12:36am On Aug 13, 2010
samir101ng:

No, i don't work for MTN Nigeria. I was referring to people based in the Northern part of the country collectively. I am an avid internet user and always try out different service providers. MTN is currently the champion followed by Etisalat in the North.

Ok cool.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 11:46pm On Aug 14, 2010
i agree with samir on the mtn thingy, glo is terrible here, i've never used etisalat though. . .i work in the maitama area of abuja and some weeks back i saw an expat working with technicians at the junction opposite my office, i suspect it was the glo-1 people, they had a policeman with them sef. . .i'll find time to take a picture of what they installed and come and post it here this week
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 12:46am On Aug 15, 2010
O.K Let's even forget about the Glo-1 Cable, what about the so called 10,000 KM of fibre optic cable (backbone) that they reportedly have ? Looking at the corporate side, how many people are subscribing to their high speed fibre backbone ? MTN Nigeria is currently collaborating with Google to build an N8 Billion Wireless network at UNN. MTN is going to provide fibre access to their network . Even the MTN Virtual library and School Connect programmes are all tied to MTN's data network. Glo nko !
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:51am On Aug 15, 2010
hmmn na wah jare, na advert our ISP dey very good at.

now curiously, can someone pls tell me why on directonpc site at http://directonpc.com/atHome/home.aspx
say this:

"Broadband is the latest and fastest mode of connecting to the Internet.

The ordinary dial-up connection uses t[b]he copper or wireless telephone line to connect to the Internet and has its own inherent disadvantages since the telephone line cannot support high-speeds.[/b]

On the other hand, Broadband does not depend on the copper or wireless telephone line and is capable of carrying very 'heavy' packets on the Internet and at incredible speeds. Hence, with a High Speed Broadband connection, there is a lot that you can do on the Internet which you can never do using an ordinary dial-up connection; like watching videos, downloading heavy files, downloading songs, voice chat, web-cam, etc."

abeg why? someone needs to be shot!!! either here or in that coy cos somebody is lying!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 2:07am On Aug 15, 2010
^^. . . . .what do they know!!! undecided undecided undecided
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 2:15am On Aug 15, 2010
puskin:

^^. . . . .what do they know!!! undecided undecided undecided

Nothing ! Na just copy and paste them sabi. Common updating of website them no sabi. Na just garbage in garbage out. Abi dem no fit hire webmaster. Na just now Starcomms dey update their site. You should check out them Zoom, Multilinks and others that have been stagnant for months.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 9:04am On Aug 15, 2010
samir101ng:

Nothing ! Na just copy and paste them sabi. Common updating of website them no sabi. Na just garbage in garbage out. Abi dem no fit hire webmaster. Na just now Starcomms dey update their site. You should check out them Zoom, Multilinks and others that have been stagnant for months.

OMG. . . . shocked shocked shocked stagnant web pages for months. . . . .incredible!!!!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 12:21pm On Aug 19, 2010
these are the pics i was talking about earlier. . .saw an expat with some technicians installing this, and they had a policeman with them, i'm hoping it's the fibre cable sha. . .

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 12:25pm On Aug 19, 2010
That they would power the LMU(that's what we call it in power), with solar panels makes sense, i seriously hope it's glo sha. . .
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 6:34pm On Aug 21, 2010
samir101ng:

Hey Guys,

Etisalat is now the 1st GSM carrier to have an unlimited plan courtesy of Main One. Etisalat just launched a new plan called Easynet Time http://www.etisalat.com.ng/easynet.php. You can use it with your regular Etisalat prepaid SIM card or the Easynet data-only SIM card and Modem. Right now, i have subsrcibed to the N5000 Nighttime and Weekend Plan. I downloaded over 800MB on my first night. Etisalat is using an EDGE network but sometimes the speed rushes to 120 KB/S. I get an average of 29-35 KB/S using Internet Download Manager. Utorrent also works flawlessly with all ports opened. God bless Main One Cable Company as we are now reaping the rewards on the Etisalat Network.

There is data limits for the easynet time package. when u use up to 3gig u'll be cut off. I tried with the daily stuff and was cut off @ 50MB, i dont find their packages interesting. CDMA networks offer unlimited downloads, i dont know what's wrong with the GSM guys.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2010
Main One Cable: Hope of Cheap Telecom Services Dashed

Mike van den Berg, chief executive officer of Gateway Communications, said there is not enough business on the continent to support these cables, despite expectations that it would aid the provision of cheap internet services in the country.
According to Dr Hamadoun Touré, International Telecom Union’s (ITU) secretary general, the relation between cable connections and end-user price is not always straightforward. While competition usually drives down international prices for bandwidth, national bandwidth prices continue to remain high, usually due to a limited number of providers in the domestic market.

More in the link
http://businessworldng.com/web/articles/1549/1/Main-One-Cable-Hope-of-Cheap-Telecom-Services-Dashed/Page1.html
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 11:13pm On Aug 22, 2010
On an unrelated note, around the time Main One went like I got an extra eight hundred or so megabytes on my MTN 30 day 3gig plan. When I asked a person behind the counter at an MTN branch he claimed it might be an accumulation of MB's I didn't get from previous months though he didn't seem so sure of himself. In any case, it was just a one time thing so he might have been right. Still I though it was worth mentioning in light of Samir's experience with Etisalat and given the fact that MTN purchased bandwidth from Main One (as mentioned earlier I think).
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2010
Mohamed Jameel, the Chief Operating Officer of Globacom told journalists last week after a meeting of operators and the Nigerian Communications Commission that Glo-1 had just finished undergoing some testing work.

"The Glo-1 submarine cable has been undergoing some testing work, which we just concluded. We would be due to begin operations in four weeks time or before the end of August 2010," Mr. Jameel said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5592225-147/infrastructure_challenges_limit_internet_service_.csp

Counting down oh. 7 more days before the end of August oh. Mr Jameel has been dribbling us since 2008. He must be the Maradona of Telecoms in Nigeria. My fingers are crossed cool

When this glo 1 thing commences, I am very sure Glo will make so much noise. Looking forward to it.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2010
goggs:

Counting down oh. 7 more days before the end of August oh. Mr Jameel has been dribbling us since 2008. He must be the Maradona of Telecoms in Nigeria. My fingers are crossed cool

When this glo 1 thing commences, I am very sure Glo will make so much noise. Looking forward to it.

I think you can forget them launching this August. The end of August is already here and we have not heard anything. I will say hopefully they launch before the end of the year.

I read an article in Punch about internet service and it talked about Main-one and Glo-1 and said it (glo) was coming in September.

Their PR Team is BAD
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:19pm On Aug 23, 2010
@ naijatoday

I read an article in Punch about internet service and it talked about Main-one and Glo-1 and said it (glo) was coming in September.

What??!! shocked
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:03am On Aug 24, 2010
@ least make dem reduce this subscriptions small na tongue embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:27pm On Aug 24, 2010
update read in the punch of today that globacom indicated that glo 1 will commence service on September 1. In the same article Mr Jameel was stated to have said sometime in September. Well it looks like it will be the end of the year.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 10:39pm On Aug 24, 2010
goggs:

update read in the punch of today that globacom indicated that glo 1 will commence service on September 1. In the same article Mr Jameel was stated to have said sometime in September. Well it looks like it will be the end of the year.
i read that article, it wasn't glo that said that, from the phrasing, it was simply the reporter postulating. . .
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 12:02am On Aug 25, 2010
@netotse

note my post

I knew the journalist was not really straight forward and sure so I was careful to allude as much. You know how some Nigerian journalist are
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 1:43am On Aug 25, 2010
@goggs
my bad, i didn't look closely at your post, kai you be lawyer, see as you word the thing sef
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 8:06pm On Aug 25, 2010
@netotse

Ha! ha! cheesy

am an environmentalist with an INSANE love for gadget and internet stuff!!!!!!!!!! cool
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 12:09am On Aug 29, 2010
i decided to give glo 3G plus a try today after a very long time. mehn! i was not disappointed.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 12:24am On Aug 29, 2010
another test.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by consize: 7:16am On Aug 29, 2010
@flyuche,

Are the Data caps still in place? if yes, na to siddon look o, i go still dey rock my starcomms [even though it sucks like hell, at least i have no restrictions] grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 1:05pm On Aug 29, 2010
this thread is about Glo-1 submarine cable, and not glo 3g or any other ones,

however please note 2 things:

1. the 3g is not connected to the glo-1 as your ping clearly shows

2. In wireless connections like 3g or wimax, speedtest.net rarely shows the real speed of your connection.

as far as i know glo-1 will be connected around September as they all expect, and that means that it will be the main backbone for the 3g, broadaccess, voice etc,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 6:07pm On Aug 29, 2010
tomcat:

this thread is about Glo-1 submarine cable, and not glo 3g or any other ones,

however please note 2 things:

1. the 3g is not connected to the glo-1 as your ping [/b]clearly shows

2. [b]In wireless connections like 3g or wimax, speedtest.net rarely shows the real speed of your connection.

as far as i know glo-1 will be connected around September as they all expect, and that means that it will be the main backbone for the 3g, broadaccess, voice etc,

pls let us know where the 3G is connected if you know better.
speedtest.net is used and recognised worldwide. when pcmag or pcworld magazines conducted the average download speeds of wireless networks in the USA, they used speedtest.net.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lynxnoon(m): 2:36am On Aug 30, 2010
glo3g has always been good
how i wish dey can adopt an unlimited data plan like etisalat undecided
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 2:59pm On Aug 30, 2010
flyuche:

pls let us know where the 3G is connected if you know better.
speedtest.net is used and recognised worldwide. when pcmag or pcworld magazines conducted the average download speeds of wireless networks in the USA, they used speedtest.net.

1. It will be either VSAT or SAT3. If you open your command prompt (start-->run) and type cmd, then type tracert www.yahoo.co.uk, it will show you all the hops in the route. If you post that or if you do a whois on the IP addresses you can see if it is SAT3 or VSAT.

2. speedtest.net is very good for ADSL connections with fiberoptic backbone. On wireless solutions is not working properly, for example on my ipnx it can show upload speed of 600-700 which is nowhere near close to it

for a proper speed test you need to use a download manager and go to a website with huge capacity like nvidia.com and download a driver, whatever your steady speed is it will be your download,

you can do same test but with ftp server for the upload,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 9:34pm On Aug 30, 2010
glo used a vsat provider based in cyprus to carry it's 3G internet traffic. not anymore. according to press release, glo 1 commercial launch is eminent. does it not make sense that by now the submarine cable is being tested? glo 3G plus download speed has improved tremendously from a mere 2-5kB/s to beyond 100kB/s.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 11:11pm On Aug 30, 2010
@flyuche
Not from where i am browsing. Its still less than 20KBps on their 3g network. Which press release are u talking about? Any link? Thanks
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 3:24pm On Aug 31, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lagos-Nigeria/Glo-World/269492993434

They might be launching soon

what the hell is preview, undecided just launch the damn thing
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 7:42pm On Aug 31, 2010
flyuche:

glo used a vsat provider based in cyprus to carry it's 3G internet traffic. not anymore. according to press release, glo 1 commercial launch is eminent. does it not make sense that by now the submarine cable is being tested? glo 3G plus download speed has improved tremendously from a mere 2-5kB/s to beyond 100kB/s.

you can post your tracert and i can tell you where the internet provider is based on, you can even check it youself, this is mine, i guess the same should be at yours,

Organization Intelsat GlobalConnex Solutions
ISP Intelsat GlobalConnex Solutions

glo-1 might have been tested with UK however the terrestrial cable needs to be connected with Glo-1 in order for the whole Glo network in nigeria to be "powered" by glo-1, something that hasn't happened yet,

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.