Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55227 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by omowaleit: 5:29pm On Sep 19, 2010
It is called glo infinito;
-#15/min to all network
-no migration fees, no hidden charge
-free night call between 12am to 5am
to migrate just use this and MTN is in trouble for being a broad daylight arm robber *130*1*1#
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by omowaleit: 5:30pm On Sep 19, 2010
SORRY THE MIGRATION CODE IS *103*1*1#
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 5:57pm On Sep 19, 2010
@omowaleit & @samir101ng

Thanks for the info.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/globacom-crashes-call-rates/
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 10:38pm On Sep 19, 2010
jdoss:

@omowaleit & @samir101ng

Thanks for the info.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/globacom-crashes-call-rates/
omowaleit:

kai. . . see as these people dey tempt me to come back o. . .when this nonsense number portability go show?

@samir
that zone6 is a dead zone, there's 3g in maitama(where i work) and apo(where i live) but i haven't tried it yet sha. . .i don toss my glo sim tay tay
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 10:53pm On Sep 19, 2010
omowaleit:

You will then need to send 1 as confirmation before your plan is activated.

Alternatively, you can send a text CITY to 300

Thanks Omowaleit for posting earlier.

netotse:

kai. . . see as these people dey tempt me to come back o. . .when this nonsense number portability go show?

@samir
that zone6 is a dead zone, there's 3g in maitama(where i work) and apo(where i live) but i haven't tried it yet sha. . .i don toss my glo sim tay tay

@netotse and Djcn

Thanks for the heads up. Have moved to Lakeview Estate, Jabi. Men, its only MTN 3.5G thats working here oo! Infact i only get 2 maximum 3 bars. I pity other networks.

[size=8pt][size=8pt]Maybe because na bush i know no !! [/size][/size]
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 4:03am On Sep 20, 2010
Omooooo. . . . . .dis Glo infinito has changed the game. 25k per second to all networks without any daily rental. shocked shocked shocked Do they want to beat etisalat to their own game. Wahala dey ohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!. . . ok. . . . letz wait for dis mumu network cal'd MTN now.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 8:04am On Sep 20, 2010
Thanks for the info, its time to retrieve my glo line, just hope other networks would push it further
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 1:55pm On Sep 20, 2010
just to get back into the topic, i don't think the reduction in local calls has to do with Glo-1?

I think the international calls will benefit more from the connection of glo-1
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 2:08pm On Sep 20, 2010
tomcat:

just to get back into the topic, i don't think the reduction in local calls has to do with Glo-1?

I think the international calls will benefit more from the connection of glo-1

Sure, international call ve always be on d low side, we need to work on our local rates.

On a recent developement, the broadband war is just kicking off with NCBC (Ghana), dropping the US$4,500 price tag at which it sells E1 to ISPs to US$2,100. That is more than a 50% reduction

Main One Cable, a new entrant to the international bandwidth market, sells the same capacity for US$1,050
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 3:34pm On Sep 20, 2010
puskin:

Omooooo. . . . . .dis Glo infinito has changed the game. 25k per second to all networks without any daily rental.  shocked shocked shocked Do they want to beat etisalat to their own game. Wahala dey ohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!. . . ok. . . . letz wait for dis mumu network cal'd MTN now.

I would expect etisalat to drop their N20 daily charge.

The service is not available in Lagos, according to their website
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 6:32pm On Sep 20, 2010
In regards to the effects of main one, I got a call from swift broadband to be part of their beta testing before launching their "4g wimax".

picked up the modem this morning, and just got a chance to take my first speedtest.

shocked

Will try actual downloads a little later, and put up screen shots.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 6:42pm On Sep 20, 2010
This is downloading from usenext.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 6:52pm On Sep 20, 2010
This is with IDM

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 8:36pm On Sep 20, 2010
@jdoss. is swift on main? are you in lagos? what's the modem like? i am impressed. cool even in South Africa, we can not boost of this kind of speed.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 8:47pm On Sep 20, 2010
@flyuche

I am in Lagos, the guy I spoke to there said they bought capacity on main one but refused to tell me how much. The modem is the Huawei Echolife BM635. Like I said, they are testing the network so there are probably very few people using it.  Having said that, it is still very fast . I have no idea what to download now.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by EPOMA(m): 8:54pm On Sep 20, 2010
I always view the swift network IP cameras from US, after reading this article, I went to their website to view the cameras and it responded faster than before and the pictures from the camera are refreshing very quick, so I might believe they are hooked up to main one
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 10:33pm On Sep 20, 2010
jdoss:

@flyuche

I am in Lagos, the guy I spoke to there said they bought capacity on main one but refused to tell me how much. The modem is the Huawei Echolife BM635. Like I said, they are testing the network so there are probably very few people using it.  Having said that, it is still very fast . I have no idea what to download now.

That's really an impressive speed. Next would be affordability. well u ve d opportunity of downloading d internet.

flyuche:

@jdoss. is swift on main? are you in lagos? what's the modem like? i am impressed. cool even in South Africa, we can not boost of this kind of speed.

Actually we're just kicking off, large cities is SA have far higher speeds for example cell c offers speeds of 7.2Mbps and 21.6Mbps on it mobile platform, u can imagine how d speed zaps. I hope MTN and Glo can move forward.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 21, 2010
I read in the papers that the code *103*1*1# works in 24 states in Nigeria of which Lagos is excluded.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by zoraro(m): 2:04am On Sep 21, 2010
Obumneme:

I read in the papers that the code *103*1*1# works in 24 states in Nigeria of which Lagos is excluded.
Just text CITY to the number 300 like someone posted earlier, I just did that and I was migrated to the cityzone "Go Infinito" in less than 3 sec.
I have been following this thread for months but this is my first post here, you guys are doing a great job, thanks.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 8:38am On Sep 21, 2010
jdoss:

@flyuche

interesting. this is the same mobile wimax technology Sprint's Clearwire is deploying in the U.S.( dubbed 4G )
i wish Swift deploys this nationwide and introduces small USB modems and wimax enabled smartphones.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 9:02am On Sep 21, 2010
although we are strafing away from initial subject, if you go to their website there is no package for 4 or 6Mb

the biggest one they have is 1024 at a ridiculous high price,

which means that the beta testing is just a few people testing the network with a bandwidth that is destined for all the users of the network,

400 and 512k is what i see from their website, so i don't see how one can get a constant 4-6Mb once they are out of the beta testing phase,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 10:42am On Sep 21, 2010
As I understand it, they will be coming out with new plans once they launch. There was an e-mail sent out to that effect as well as blaming 20% of customers for using 80% of network resources(they say the average user only uses about 3GB a month). It is looking like they might implement some sort of data cap or sliding scale.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/tribune-business/10925-swift-network-showcases-survey-broadband-usage-in-nigeria

They have not accepted any new customers in the last 6-8 months, so they could implement their "4g Wimax" network. I have never heard of a Nigerian company turning away business for whatever reason.

I have no idea what the average speed will be when they come out of beta testing, but these guys seem serious and it is looking like it will be greatly improved.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 1:37pm On Sep 21, 2010
according to Glo they have migrated already their 3G-GPRS traffic to Glo-1 already,

i find it hard to believe however, can someone with glo 3g post a speedtest.net screenshot or a ping result to a london server please?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 2:01pm On Sep 21, 2010
jdoss:

As I understand it, they will be coming out with new plans once they launch. There was an e-mail sent out to that effect as well as blaming 20% of customers for using 80% of network resources[b](they say the average user only uses about 3GB a month). It is looking like they might implement some sort of data cap or sliding scale.
[/b]
http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/tribune-business/10925-swift-network-showcases-survey-broadband-usage-in-nigeria

They have not accepted any new customers in the last 6-8 months, so they could implement their "4g Wimax" network. I have never heard of a Nigerian company turning away business for whatever reason.

I have no idea what the average speed will be when they come out of beta testing, but these guys seem serious and it is looking like it will be greatly improved.

mMm??. . . .whoeva gave them those stats. . . . .and so, wat happens to the not so average user like muahh!!!!!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 3:29pm On Sep 21, 2010
tomcat:

according to Glo they have migrated already their 3G-GPRS traffic to Glo-1 already,

i find it hard to believe however, can someone with glo 3g post a speedtest.net screenshot or a ping result to a london server please?

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/09/21/glo-3g-best-in-market/

The Glo 3G internet service will receive further boost as more cities pan-Nigeria will soon be covered with 3G technology. Further improvements in terms of bandwidth and, consequently, speed and connectivity will be enjoyed by subscribers when the Glo 1 international submarine cable starts to carry traffic soon.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by honsule(m): 4:13pm On Sep 21, 2010
Migrated to city zone.Was just thinking if i Travel to another state/city will i have to migrate again?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 5:53pm On Sep 21, 2010
well if we get someone who is using 3g glo to post their results from speedtest.net or pingtest.net, we will know for sure if they have switched the traffic to glo-1 or is still satelite.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 6:10pm On Sep 21, 2010
tomcat:

well if we get someone who is using 3g glo to post their results from speedtest.net or pingtest.net, we will know for sure if they have switched the traffic to glo-1 or is still satelite.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 6:16pm On Sep 21, 2010
another test.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 7:02pm On Sep 21, 2010
that means that 3g glo has passed its traffic through Glo-1, ping is low, which means it's fiber optic,

did you notice any difference in the browsing or the whole internet?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 7:55pm On Sep 21, 2010
@flyuche. . . pls use dis command in ur CMD prompt to clarify things even further "tracert www.yahoo.com"

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.