Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,432 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant (876 Views)

Little Buhari To Undergo Another Joystick Surgery In UK / 13-Year-Old Pregnant Akwa Ibom Girl To Undergo Caesarean Operation (Photos) / See First Full HEAD TRANSPLANT A Sick Man Will Undergo; Will It Be Successful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by Shadbay(m): 4:06pm On Apr 08, 2015
A man with a fatal medical condition hasspoken exclusively to MailOnline about how he is set to become the first person to undergo a head transplant and hopesit could be as soon as next year.

Valery Spiridonov says he is ready to puthis trust in controversial surgeon Dr Sergio Canavero who claims he can cut off his head and attach it to a healthy body.Mr Spiridonov, 30, a computer scientist from Russia, said: 'My decision is final and I do not plan to change my mind.'As a lifelong sufferer of the rare genetic Werdnig-Hoffman muscle wasting disease, he says he wants the chance of a new body before he dies.

'Am I afraid? Yes, of course I am. But it isnot just very scary, but also very interesting,' said Mr Spiridonov from his home in Vladimir, a city 120 miles east of Moscow.

'But you have to understand that I don't really have many choices', he said. 'If I don't try this chance my fate will be verysad. With every year my state is getting worse.' Dr Canavero and Mr Spiridonov have talked via Skype though they have not met yet and the doctor has not reviewedhis medical records.

The Italian told CNN he has received many email and letters from people seeking the procedure but he insists the first patients will be people suffering from a muscle wasting disease.Dr Canavero has named the procedure HEAVEN, which is an acronym for head anastomosis venture. Anastomosis involves the surgical connecting of two parts. He insists all the necessary techniques already exist to transplant a head onto a donor body.

The first monkey head transplant was performed 45 years ago and a basic operation on a mouse was carried out inChina recently.But critics say Dr Canavero's plans are 'pure fantasy'.

The Italian has been compared to the fictional gothic-horror character Dr Frankenstein.And Arthur Caplan, the director of medical ethics at New York University's Langone Medical Centre, has described Dr Canavero as 'nuts'.

Dr Hunt Batjer, president elect of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons, told CNN: 'I would not wish this on anyone. I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death.'The cost of the 36-hour operation, whichcould only be performed in the one of the world's most advanced operating theatres, has been estimated at £7.5million. The new body would come from a transplant donor who is brain dead but otherwise healthy.

For more insight: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3029376/

Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by ucheheart(m): 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
Hmmm! I am seriously waiting for the part two of this movie.
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by Mrbigman1(m): 4:47pm On Apr 08, 2015
Another one we go hear na life transplant.

Diaris Godoooooo

Lalasticlala please come do us something here

Thanks
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by Shadbay(m): 5:57am On Apr 09, 2015
Cc; Lalasticlala
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by 500samuel(m): 3:05pm On Apr 09, 2015
end time doctor... what happens to the donor?
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by Godmother(f): 9:53pm On Apr 09, 2015
I want to believe this story is false.
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by Psalmwise(m): 10:16pm On Apr 09, 2015
<<<Acquired>>>
Miltary Zone Keep off
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by khalleb(m): 11:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
500samuel:
end time doctor... what happens to the donor?
nice question
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by MrTemple(m): 11:40pm On Apr 09, 2015
I wonder if na rat head dem go put or . . .
Re: Man Set To Undergo World's First Full Head Transplant by DoctorG: 3:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
Trust me, this procedure is not realistic...its not just head-transplant..its a multi-organ transplant. There are so many structures coursing to and fro the head through d neck, these wld be transplanted too...NOT POSSIBLE

(1) (Reply)

Which Is More Nutritious? / Hot Weather Kills More Than 700 People In India And Could Possibly Kill More / New Birth Control Method Released For Women – Female Condom With Vibrator Attach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.