Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria (6135 Views)

What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? / My Grown/ready To Harvest Fish Pond / Sorghum Grown In Anambra State To Be Used By Many Industries(pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria by kenlincagro: 4:06pm On Apr 08, 2015
General Noni Information :

When the ancient Polynesians sailed out of South East Asia into the wide sea that became their new home they carried plants. This early migration took place some 2000 years ago. And on their canoes came various plants that the settlers would need for medicine and food.
Noni was on those canoes. Actually some accounts state that of the 12 most common medicinal plants on these voyages Noni was the second on the list! No wonder that we can now report growing interest in Noni juice.

Earliest uses of Noni juice
Noni juice and other Noni products were used for herbal remedies in the treatment a range of diseases and to keep good health among the new settlers. The Polynesians appears to have used all of the Noni plant, for food, drink, medicine and dying cloth.
Records show Noni roots, bark, stems, leaves, flowers and fruit used in around 40 ancient herbal medicines. In addition, Noni roots were made into a yellow-red dye to colour mats and tapa cloth.

Noni juice in legend
Noni juice references are also found in Polynesian myths. Their hero's and heroines ate Noni and drank Noni juice to live during famines.

Noni carried in the canoe migrations
A thousand years ago Hawaii Loa lead his tribe to the island group that eventually took his name. On that great migration he carried the things his people would require to settle in the new islands. It is said he took 27 specific plants, the so-called 'canoe plants'. Fourteen were for food. They included coconut, breadfruit and taro. The rest were for wood, tapa cloth and healing. Of the carefully chosen healing plants one was Noni la'au. And Noni la'au has been part of traditional Hawaiian healing resources since.

Noni juice and Captain James Cook
The British naval explorer and master, Captain Cook, reached Tahiti in the late 1700s and found Noni juice being drunk and Noni fruit being consumed there.

Further Western Noni juice records
A book published in London in 1866 noted that the Morinda citrifolia fruit was eaten in the Cook Islands and Fiji.
Later publications talk about the use of Noni as a food through the Pacific Islands, Australia, Southeast Asia and Cambodia.
In Roratonga, in the Cook Islands, Noni juice and Noni fruit was often used by the local people. Australian Aborigines were fond of the Noni. And in Samoa, Noni juice and Noni fruit was consumed.

Modern researchers' interest in Noni juice
In 1943, Morinda citrifolia was classified as edible in a technical manual of edible and poisonous plants of the Pacific Islands.
It is obvious from the medical histories of the area and recent Western studies that Polynesian peoples received a significant health benefit from Noni juice and the Noni fruit itself. We are becoming aware that the medical knowledge of these ocean people was sophisticated and often effective. For this reason, modern medical researchers are studying the plants the islanders first pioneered the use of.

NONI AVAILABILITY IN NIGERIA
Marketers of imported NONI products which have been in the market for over 10 years have misled the Nigerian public into believing that NONI cannot be grown in Africa. Noni is grown in our large expansive farms in Delta, Ogun and Kaduna States of Nigeria and there are plans to start new farms in Kogi and Anambra states. 2348147861355.

Re: Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 4:50pm On Apr 08, 2015
U mean chinonso fruit?

Ok, wen e ripe, pluck me some make I do am justice.
Re: Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria by Patrizia: 11:11pm On May 14, 2016
closed

1 Like

Re: Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria by ThePowerMan: 5:37pm On Jun 28, 2018
I'm interested in Noni leaf... I want to plant it.
Re: Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria by ylaa(f): 6:56pm On Jun 05, 2023
Please how do I get the seed of this plant? Thanks
Re: Noni Fruit Is Grown In Nigeria by Tohsynetita1: 7:30pm On Jun 05, 2023
ylaa:
Please how do I get the seed of this plant? Thanks
message me.

(1) (Reply)

Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? / Before You Start A Pepper Farm / With 2 Million Naira Which Business In Agriculture Can I Invest In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.