Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,416 members, 7,819,496 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

FORTRAN 2003 Programming! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / FORTRAN 2003 Programming! (1033 Views)

Fortran / Fortran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FORTRAN 2003 Programming! by factorial1(m): 11:52pm On Apr 08, 2015
Hello nairalanders, please I'm seriously in need of good materials... Video tutorials if possible on learning FORTRAN 2003. Also... I will appreciate links to websites also.
Thanks.
Re: FORTRAN 2003 Programming! by hefty4real(m): 12:04am On Apr 09, 2015
holy shit! u mean u r still bin taught FORTRAN. 4get d prefixes n suffixes added to it i.e OO FORTRAN OR FORTRAN 2003 it is archaic n shud be scrapped 4rm skuls.
d last i programmed wif it was coding to make GP calc. very tedious!
Re: FORTRAN 2003 Programming! by kudaisi(m): 9:19am On Apr 09, 2015
hefty4real:
holy shit! u mean u r still bin taught FORTRAN. 4get d prefixes n suffixes added to it i.e OO FORTRAN OR FORTRAN 2003 it is archaic n shud be scrapped 4rm skuls.
d last i programmed wif it was coding to make GP calc. very tedious!

Dude, no offence but i don't think your post helped the author of this thread in anyway. It is a blatant false notion. FORTRAN is still thought for educational purpose and strangely still commonly used for High Performance Computation (HPC).

The Fortran 9x standard added dynamic memory, significant structured programming concepts, and did away with the column 7 requirement. Major hardware vendors are still investing in producing viable Fortran compilers - why ?. Where do get your facts or notions form ?

1 Like

Re: FORTRAN 2003 Programming! by hefty4real(m): 9:46am On Apr 09, 2015
kudaisi:

Dude, no offence but i don't think your post helped the author of this thread in anyway. It is a blatant false notion. FORTRAN is still thought for educational purpose and strangely still commonly used for High Performance Computation (HPC).

The Fortran 9x standard added dynamic memory, significant structured programming concepts, and did away with the column 7 requirement. Major hardware vendors are still investing in producing viable Fortran compilers - why ?. Where do get your facts or notions form ?

C this Newbie wey dey quote me sha! Well since u meant no offence posting that trash, I beg to differ! It's true that there has been some modification and enhancement in FORTRAN and some fixed rule has been relaxed. BUT WHO IN THIS WORLD WOULD INVEST IN PRODUCING FORTRAN COMPILERS WHEN WE HAVE OTHER ADVANCE OOPL!
Guy park well! U knw what y don't you go to an int'l forum and post this and receive the bashing of your lyf! just becos it is been taught in Nigerian skuls dosen't make it relevant. Other countries have moved on and most programmers hv lost interest in it except scientist. I would suggest JAVA becos it can do all FORTRAN CAN DO!
Re: FORTRAN 2003 Programming! by kudaisi(m): 11:07am On Apr 09, 2015
Lol! Nairaland can be interesting. You just called me newbie...really ?

@heft4real You really should read more often
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pgi-cuda-fortran-now-available-from-the-portland-group-70271117.html

Even almighty NVIDIA
http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/pgi-high-performance-computing-compilers-coming-to-ibm-power-systems

However, I didn't mean to say that he should't learn more advanced programming languages. But If you have to do a lot of number crunching, Fortran remains one of the top choices, which is why many of the most sophisticated simulation codes run at supercomputing centres around the world are written in it. But of course it would be a terrible, terrible, language to write a web browser in. To each task its tool.

My point still remains that he asked for good materials on FORTRAN 2003 (he's school is probably making him take a course on it) and all you did was criticize the programming language part of which were not completely true. How does that help ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FORTRAN 2003 Programming! by daddynasa: 3:31pm On Apr 09, 2015
fortran 77 actually made me fall in love wit programmin cus I took d course in my year 2 biochemistry. though it was smtin else. Op just google and search youtube. u hardly get ssuch on nairaland
Re: FORTRAN 2003 Programming! by factorial1(m): 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2015
^^^
Thanks for the the response... Though, I've searched Google times without number... Its just too hard to get the comprehensive tutorial (video, PDFs) on FORTRAN. I've been using some materials though... But, I need to learn and know more about FORTRAN... especially, the OOP part of it, even syntax.

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Noticed This About Swiftng.com? / Come And Be Trained On How To Setup An Entertainment Hub(abuja And Kaduna) / What Is The Best App For Programming On Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.