Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read (665 Views)

Why I Flogged Radio Bayelsa Staffers - John Idumange / 16 Pictures That Are Too Real For Nigerians Who Hate Their Office / Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read by Iamxtopher(m): 6:08pm On Apr 10, 2015
So you want to get a degree...why?
Let me tell you what the society will tell you; 
It increases your chances of getting a job, provides you an opportunity to be successful, your life will be a lot less stressful. Education is the KEY.

Now let me tell you what your parents will tell you;
Make me proud, it increases your chances of getting job, provides you an opportunity to be successful,  your life will be a lot less stressful. Education is the KEY.

Now let's look at the statistics;
Steve Jobs - 7Billion, (R.I.P.)
Richard Branson - 4. 2Billion,
Opera Winfrey - 2.7Billion,
Mark Zuckerberg ,
Henry Ford,
Steven Spielberg,
Bill Gates,
Now here come the "coup de grace". Looking at these individuals,  what's your conclusion?

NEITHER of them in being SUCCESSFUL ever graduated from a HIGHER LEARNING INSTITUTION. 
Now some of you will protest like "you know, MONEY is only the medium by which one measures worldly success". Some of you will even have the nerve to say "I don't do it for the money". So what are you studying for?... to work for charity?, you need more clarity?

Let's look at the statics;
Jesus, Mohammed, Socrates,  Malcom X, Mother Theresa, Spielberg, Shakespeare, Beethoven, Jesse Owens, Mohammed Ali, Sean Carter, Michael Jeffrey Jordan, Michael Joseph Jackson etc, either of these people are unsuccessful or uneducated. 
All I am trying to say is that if there was a family tree, HARDWORK and EDUCATION will be "related" and SCHOOL,...will prolly be a distant cousin.

You see EDUCATION is the KEY and SCHOOL is the LOCK

Because it rarely ever develops your mind until it  can perceive RED is GREEN and continue to go when someone else says stop, because as long as you follow the rules and pass your exams, you are cool, buh are you aware that examiners have a check list and if your answer is something that is outta the box the automatic response is a "cross" and then they claim that school expands your horizon and visions,...well, tell that to Malcom X who dropped out of school and is well renowned from what he learnt in the prison.

"Proverbs 17:16" - "it does a fool no good to spend money on Education"...why?..."because he has no common sense"....‎ George Bush, need I say more.

Education is about inspiring ones mind and not just filling their head and take this from me cos I am an "EDUCATED MAN" myself who only came to this realisation after countless nights in the Library with a can of Red Bull keeping me awake till dawn and another in the morning and falling asleep in between piles of books which probably equates to the same amount I spent on my rent, memorising every equation, facts and dates right down to the letter, half of which i'd never remember and half of which i'd forget straight after the exam and before the start of the next semester, also asking everyone if they had notes for the last lecture. I often find myself running to class just so I could find a spot of which I could rest my head and fall asleep without making a scene.‎ Ironic! Cos that's the only time I ever spent in the University chasing my dreams. And then after nights over dead mind, I then find myself in a queue of half awake student-Zombies waiting to hand in an assignment. Maybe that's why they call it a "DEAD-LINE". ‎Then after 3years of mental suppression and frustration, my "PROUD MOTHER" didn't even turn up to my graduation. 

Now, I am not saying that SCHOOL is evil and there is nothing to gain, all I am saying is that you understand your motive and re-access your aim cos if you want a job and working for someone else, then help yourself. But then that would be a contradiction cos you wouldn't really be helping yourself , you would be helping somebody else. There is a saying which says "if you don't build your dream, some else will hire you to help build theirs"

Redefine how you view EDUCATION, understand it's true meaning. Education is not just about regurgitating facts from a book on someone else's opinion on  a subject to pass an exam. Do not allow an exam determine your fate.

Look at it, Picasa was educated in creating Art, Shakespeare was educated in creating the Art of word that was written, Collin Arlene Sanders was educated in the art of creating Turkey fried chicken.

I once saw David Beckham take a free kick, I watched as the side of his Adidas sponsored boot hit the up-hill level of the FIFA Ball at an angle which caused it to travel towards the sky as though it was destined for the heavens, and then as it reached the peak of it's momentum, as though it changes it's mind, it's switched direction...I watched as the goalkeeper froze and as though reciting to himself the laws of physics and as though his brain was negotiating with his eyes that was indeed witnessing the spectacle of the wonders that was sweeping towards it and then reacting with only a fraction of a millisecond too late and before the net of the goal embraced the FIFA sponsored ball as though it was the prodigal son returning home, in the country that I live in, even up to chills, I looked at the play and forth...Damn!, looking at David Beckham, there is more than one way to be an educated man.

Suli Breaks, Vanity Fair, 2009.

9 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read by lekejob(m): 6:18pm On Apr 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read by witnezHD(m): 6:18pm On Apr 10, 2015
suli breaks #super amazing
Re: Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 10, 2015
Re: Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read by okpamson15(m): 6:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
When God say yes...
Re: Why I Hate School But Love Education - Must Read by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 10, 2015
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Meet Ten Youngest Inventors. [what Are You Going To Do For Your Generation?]. / How To Continue Earning Your Monthly Income Even After Losing Your Job / Msc After Service Or Medicine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.