Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,250 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine (4826 Views)

Must A Baby's Hair Be Totally Shaved At One Or Just A Superstition? / Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 4:15pm On Apr 11, 2015
OK! I'm really getting fed up of asobi here asobi there. It's ok you want to have a beautiful wedding, I also understand you want it colour but sisters in the lord is this asobi thingy a means of adding colours to your wedding or just a means of making money? It is no longer news that the new way of inviting people to a wedding is no longer through "IV" but saying "my asoebi is out"

In those days parents didn't have asobi girls, boys and children and they still had great weddings. Why do people especially the ladies make it such a big deal? Some relationships have suffered some set back because the guy didn't have asoebi money. The most amazing part is the way people sell these asoebi at ridiculous prices others even keep a list of those who didn't buy as enemies.

Hmmmmmm! Stop extortion of your friends in the name of asobi.
A beautiful marriage is better that a fantastic wedding. If you really want the asobi, choose a colour, allow people dress in your colour .
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 4:19pm On Apr 11, 2015
money making maching first other reasons may follow
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 4:21pm On Apr 11, 2015
Ayoakinkahunsi:
money making maching first other reasons may follow
you agree it's just a money making machine rite

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 4:24pm On Apr 11, 2015
Mzflexydeeva:
you agree it's just a money making machine rite
offcourse they buy at cheap price sell at high price
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 4:26pm On Apr 11, 2015
Ayoakinkahunsi:

offcourse they buy at cheap price sell at high price
you can say that again
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by flyca: 4:30pm On Apr 11, 2015
Take it as a way of giving your friend (the bride) a financial support for her great day. On your own day, friends will also "contribute" for you.

You mentioned our parents' era. My dear, economy is tougher now. Get used to it!

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2015
flyca:
Take it as a way of giving your friend (the bride) a financial support for her great day. On your own day, friends will also "contribute" for you.

You mentioned our parents' era. My dear, economy is tougher now. Get used to it!
I disagree, I think it wud make more sense if friend just came together and agreed to give rather this asoebi tingy. Most times the cloths are not up to standard sef. Buy the cheapest sell the highest

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by ireneidiva(f): 4:50pm On Apr 11, 2015
Mzflexydeeva:
OK! I'm really getting fed up of asobi here asobi there. It's ok you want to have a beautiful wedding, I also understand you want it colour but sisters in the lord is this asobi thingy a means of adding colours to your wedding or just a means of making money? It is no longer news that the new way of inviting people to a wedding is no longer through "IV" but saying "my asoebi is out"

In those days parents didn't have asobi girls, boys and children and they still had great weddings. Why do people especially the ladies make it such a big deal? Some relationships have suffered some set back because the guy didn't have asoebi money. The most amazing part is the way people sell these asoebi at ridiculous prices others even keep a list of those who didn't buy as enemies.

Hmmmmmm! Stop extortion of your friends in the name of asobi.
A beautiful marriage is better that a fantastic wedding. If you really want the asobi, choose a colour, allow people dress in your colour .
Has anyone ever 'forced' you to buy their asoebi? I've never seen where it is compulsory.
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 11, 2015
Hmm, I don talk am b4 oh dey no wan hear.
Buh u know tis part of our culture. Meanwhile as for making money ot of it, they r usually just trying to make back out of u d money dey spent in organising d wedding.

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 4:59pm On Apr 11, 2015
If ur supposed best friend doesn't buy ur asoebi how wud u feel?
ireneidiva:

Has anyone ever 'forced' you to buy their asoebi? I've never seen where it is compulsory.
asking that is like asking if passing exam is by force
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 5:03pm On Apr 11, 2015
qbd2:
Hmm, I don talk am b4 oh dey no wan hear.
Buh u know tis part of our culture. Meanwhile as for making money ot of it, they r usually just trying to make back out of u d money dey spent in organising d wedding.
out of the money?
Wow! Indirectly people paying for the food and souvenirs u mean

2 Likes

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by ireneidiva(f): 5:13pm On Apr 11, 2015
Mzflexydeeva:
If ur supposed best friend doesn't buy ur asoebi how wud u feel?asking that is like asking if passing exam is by force
You don't sell asoebi to your best friend. You give them free of charge. If you can't afford it, will you kill yourself? As long as you show up and celebrate with them, all should be well.
Its my opinion and I'm also talking from experience.
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2015
this asoebi has put many young wives in trouble who must cut corners to wear it at all costs. if it's even sold at the market price, that would be understandable, but the prices at which they are sold for are simply ridiculous.
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Jamean(f): 5:29pm On Apr 11, 2015
I thought I was the only one who was beginning to feel a itch about the whole asoebi idea. I'm not against a wedding being colorful, but then, moderation is key.

The cost of asoebi these days is just annoying. Just a few days ago I was discussing with a male friend the long list of my friends marrying this year and their high asoebi cost.

I even ask the purpose bridal train serve. The trend now is that they all wear a bathrobe for photoshoot. Including the one beefing the bride. Nigerian weddings are just annoying.
Funnily, the materials are not so expensive in the market, but they resell at a high price. From this, I will conclude is a means of raising money for the weddings.

And some ladies feel obliged to buy asoebi of every of their friend which should not be so.

Do the one you can, afterall it's just clothing. There are more important things to use money for.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by iykedare(m): 6:31pm On Apr 11, 2015
It is a way of billing you for the food they will serve you on that day.
I'll rather give you the money than buy something I may never feel comfortable wearing.
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 11, 2015
I think this buying of ashebi thingy is done mostly by yorubas, it isn't popular in igboland..

I did my trad few days ago, I bought ashebi and gave freely to my bridesmaids, they only had to sew with their money....

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 7:56pm On Apr 11, 2015
ireneidiva:

You don't sell asoebi to your best friend. You give them free of charge. If you can't afford it, will you kill yourself? As long as you show up and celebrate with them, all should be well.
easier said than done
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 7:57pm On Apr 11, 2015
miraclewonder:
this asoebi has put many young wives in trouble who must cut corners to wear it at all costs. if it's even sold at the market price, that would be understandable, but the prices at which they are sold for are simply ridiculous.
abi o! You feel me right
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 11, 2015
Mzflexydeeva:
out of the money?
Wow! Indirectly people paying for the food and souvenirs u mean
Hmm, but just my own opinion. Cos I even heard they give diffrent /additional gifts to those that bought the wedding cloth.
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 8:01pm On Apr 11, 2015
Jamean:
I thought I was the only one who was beginning to feel a itch about the whole asoebi idea. I'm not against a wedding being colorful, but then, moderation is key

The cost of asoebi these days is just annoying Just a few days ago I was discussing with a male friend the long list of my friends marrying this year and their high asoebi cost.

I even ask the purpose bridal train serve. The trend now is that they all wear a bathrobe for photoshoot. Including the one beefing the bride. Nigerian weddings are just annoying.
Funnily, the materials are not so expensive in the market, but they resell at a high price. From this, I will conclude is a means of raising money for the weddings.

And some ladies feel obliged to buy asoebi of every of their friend which should not be so.

Do the one you can, afterall it's just clothing. There are more important things to use money for.
you are so on point...loving this post. In the end the most annoying is d trend of wantin to have the best wedding. No 1 ever has d best wedding because your best is another person better. Just get married and leave d singles market peacefully. Another funny thing is people must gather to condemn the asoebi for one reason or the other. some will even insult u

2 Likes

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 8:04pm On Apr 11, 2015
iykedare:
It is a way of billing you for the food they will serve you on that day
I'll rather give you the money than buy something I may never feel comfortable wearing.
you can say that again
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 8:06pm On Apr 11, 2015
MarvellousGod:
I think this buying of ashebi thingy is done mostly by yorubas, it isn't popular in igboland..

I did my trad few days ago, I bought ashebi and gave freely to my bridesmaids, they only had to sew with their money....
that's exactly wat it should be. Come to a place like lag.. u'll buy asoebi, u'll buy gift for bride you will also organise bridal shower.....

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 8:08pm On Apr 11, 2015
qbd2:

Hmm, but just my own opinion. Cos I even heard they give diffrent /additional gifts to those that bought the wedding cloth.
wedding cloth is even different dese days from asoebi ooooo. The lady mostly selects about 10friends to be her asobi girls. That's the one i'm talking about. Wedding cloth na small where asoebi stand
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Jamean(f): 11:17pm On Apr 11, 2015
No best wedding my dear...just have a successful ceremony and leave for the next person. Put in more effort to have a colorful marital life instead.

As for those friends, I will be firm yet sacarstic to tell them I won't buy. cheesy When e reach my own, it's either I don't do asoebi or do a very affordable one.

Women should learn to make life less complicated.

Take care.

Mzflexydeeva:
you are so on point...loving this post. In the end the most annoying is d trend of wantin to have the best wedding. No 1 ever has d best wedding because your best is another person better. Just get married and leave d singles market peacefully. Another funny thing is people must gather to condemn the asoebi for one reason or the other. some will even insult u
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Jamean(f): 11:21pm On Apr 11, 2015
If I need to support a friend for wedding, then I should do it freewill, not indirectly compelled to.

Hence, I will give them cash as "this is my quota" or take care of a part of the wedding.

If you don't have money to do luxury wedding, kindly cut your clothe according to your cloth. smiley It doesn't make you less married.

flyca:

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Jamean(f): 11:24pm On Apr 11, 2015
Like seriously undecided

ireneidiva:

Its my opinion and I'm also talking from experience.
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Jamean(f): 11:27pm On Apr 11, 2015
So we just heard from an authority smiley

MarvellousGod:

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by An0nimus: 12:05am On Apr 12, 2015
MarvellousGod:

Congrats ma'amsmiley

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by ireneidiva(f): 6:48am On Apr 12, 2015
Jamean:
Like seriously undecided

Yes! Seriously. Its nothing!

1 Like

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by ireneidiva(f): 6:50am On Apr 12, 2015
Jamean:
So we just heard from an authority smiley

You see
Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 12, 2015
Nigerian weddings have become a big business franchise nowadays.. it's less about the couple and more about impressing people (that may not even like you).

I'm in the middle of my wedding arrangements and no asoebi in my case.. We gonna use the larger chunk of our wedding budget for our honeymoon kiss As for dress code, there's a colour theme.. everyone wear what you like.

4 Likes

Re: Asoebi: Its Role In Weddings Or Just A Money Making Machine by Mzflexydeeva(f): 3:14pm On Apr 12, 2015
lolaredvelvet:
Nigerian weddings have become a big business franchise nowadays.. it's less about the couple and more about impressing people (that may not even like you).

I'm in the middle of my wedding arrangements and no asoebi in my case.. We gonna use the larger chunk of our wedding budget for our honeymoon kiss As for dress code, there's a colour theme.. everyone wear what you like.
that's d best.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Baby Eats Too Much. / How Can One Handle The Issue Of Trust? / Where Can A Victim Of Domestic Violence Get Justice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.