Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,527 members, 7,770,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:36 AM

Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (99020 Views)

Is This What Being A Supportive Husband Means Or Just Plain Stupidity? / Is He Being Wise, Cursed Or Just Wicked? / Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by TeHN: 6:02pm On May 03, 2016
TeHN is giving you the chance to download free copies of an e-book from this wonderful author who decided to share her experiences for the sole purpose of lending a voice to those that may be suffering in silence.

The book is available to download for the next 3 days only!

Dr Vivian Nkem's words:

As I continue to lend my voice to the cause to create public awareness of depression and help people, I am this period putting my money where my heart is, and giving my book “Shadows in the mirror - the many faces of depression” for FREE DOWNLOAD on KINDLE for 3 days, starting today. I will also be giving away 5 free paperback copies in the coming weeks, but need to work out the logistics of how to choose winners - If you have any ideas please let me know.

Recent events in the news remind me of why I wrote the book in the first place - and it is my greatest desire to eradicate ignorance around the issue, give hope to people, and save lives.

At the time I experienced it personally, I was clueless.. But little did i know how so many people are suffering, and some don’t have a name for their predicament, or even know where to turn for help………

*Depression is one of those things some people think happens only to white people…. But no! Black, or white, Yellow or orange, all races are affected

*It is one of those things people belittle saying “ oh smile, and snap out it”…. But actually depression is that serious, it has been forecasted by WHO to be the 2nd leading cause of death and disability by 2020 only after coronary heart disease (Not HIV, Cancer, diabetes etc…)… now thats less than 4 years away!

*It is one of those things some people assume happens to only a class of people, “the weak”... But actually, depression can happen to anyone, and infact it is the strong that are most prone to depression

*It is one of those things people think can be avoided if you have $1 million dollars maybe… But truth is, depression does not resect your bank account. Rich or poor, different factors can cause depression, and man, woman, boy or girl, depression does not respect who you are.

*It is one of those things than can lead to suicide, but some people will call the person "selfish for killing themselves” and say black people don’t commit suicide…. But truth is of the 800,000 suicides annually, 75% occur in the developing world like Nigeria (WHO statistics), and people that attempt suicide are actually looking for a means of escape from the depressive feelings they experience. Many of them don’t really want to die.

I could go on and on….

We can all do well to take mental health more seriously and look after our mental wellbeing (which most of us ignore) so as to help prevent depression… But truth is ..

If you are suffering, please don’t suffer in silence. SEEK HELP.

Depression respects no one. It kills. It is painful, but it is also treatable - earlier rather than later for the sake of “life”.

It is time we all get educated, and I am doing my bit to do something about it. What about you?

Please CLICK on the link and DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE COPY TODAY … And please don’t keep it to yourself. SHARE THIS and join me in raising awareness - Free book offer ends on 5 May 2016.

#Depression #Shadowsinthemirror #Hope #mentalhealth

Depression is not weakness...seeking help is a sign of strength

http://www.vivianikem.com/shadows-in-the-mirror/

Ps: Please feel free to contact me on info@vivianikem.com ; instagram&twitter @vivian_ikem

Vivian O. Ikem, PhD
Twitter & Instagram @Vivian_Ikem
www.vivianikem.com
https://www.facebook.com/DrVivianIkem

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by martyns303(m): 6:19pm On May 03, 2016
Where were you when Teebillz needed you?

On a serious note, Nigerian's perception of suicide is wrong, I had a friend who committed suicide cos he was failing academically. Prior then he always says things like "I feel like hanging myself", "I fit jump enter river" and we will ask to "kill himself na". After he committed suicide his family covered up the cause of death. Those who knew called him weak, but my perception of suicidal folks changed since then. We all handle pressure differently.

Am sure Teebillz is not so broke broke, that he can't afford a roof or food, but the pressure of failing marriage was all that is needed to trigger a suicide attempt.

Needing help is not a sign of weakness!!!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by mostyg(m): 8:51pm On May 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by Fynestboi: 12:44am On May 04, 2016
Trying to download this the response am getting.

Ade Kindle editions are not available in Nigeria.
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by Nobody: 4:56am On May 04, 2016
Fynestboi:
Trying to download this the response am getting.

Ade Kindle editions are not available in Nigeria.

Same here. Pls upload the book directly here
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by olivegirl(f): 6:53pm On May 04, 2016
Depression is not a play, there is something that caused it, patients should always work on things that depress them. I learnt that major cause of depression is inability to balance spiritual visions and reality.

Depression has been in africa but we belief its a taboo hardly do we think of it. But now nija full for social media, oyibo things all photocopied

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by KanwuliaExtra: 1:42am On May 06, 2016
Only when I am broke! angry

2 Likes

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by boldx(m): 8:49pm On May 06, 2016
Please where can i buy the hardcopy of your book? I am in Abuja.
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by chriskosherbal(m): 4:11am On May 07, 2016
Hmmmm ok
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by chriskosherbal(m): 4:42am On May 09, 2016
Hmmm I see
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by Nobody: 7:21am On May 09, 2016
Hmmn..

I need friends

2 Likes

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by kleppur: 11:56am On May 09, 2016
nice!
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by drmikeadams(m): 11:11pm On May 09, 2016
I'm getting to that point gradually.
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by bemagnify: 7:55am On May 10, 2016
the world will soon los anoda persn....even if am not important to the world,,,, well atleast my post on nairaland will serve as an evidence...no humanity on earth wana help me achiev my dreams...i swear i av lost touch to reality rip in advance to me

2 Likes

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by scampy(m): 4:08pm On May 10, 2016
bemagnify:
the world will soon los anoda persn....even if am not important to the world,,,, well atleast my post on nairaland will serve as an evidence...no humanity on earth wana help me achiev my dreams...i swear i av lost touch to reality rip in advance to me

Don't do it. Nairaland loves you so much.

14 Likes

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by jnize2(m): 4:08pm On May 14, 2016
martyns303:

On a serious note, Nigerian's perception of suicide is wrong, I had a friend who committed suicide cos he was failing academically. Prior then he always says things like "I feel like hanging myself", "I fit jump enter river" and we will ask to "kill himself na". After he committed suicide his family covered up the cause of death. Those who knew called him weak, but my perception of suicidal folks changed since then. We all handle pressure differently.

Am sure Teebillz is not so broke broke, that he can't afford a roof or food, but the pressure of failing marriage was all that is needed to trigger a suicide attempt.

My Name is Jeffrey, pls dont mind the surname. I came from delta and from a polygamous family. which we all live together as brothers and sisters by the policies established by my father. although my mum is the second wife who gave birth to me the writer of this message. we lost the first wife in an unusual sickness assigned by her elder brother. one of my brother got married to an Igbo girl from Imo State. which turn out to be a disaster in my brothers life. however, from one problem or the other she causes problems, which at of one of the problem she caused makes some mob attack the husband with different instruments and the husband fall into coma for 6days. after recovering from that incident, she tune her fighting characters to the husband, which enables the landlord to ask them to vacate the house in Lagos. my brother has no place to go rather to ask her to come down to warri to stay with my parents. as soon as she landed in the house in warri unusual happening began in the house. she started insulting me of which I am older than her with 5years even my 2 brothers are older than her. she insulted my mum, after she will called the husband to tell him different stuff and the husband (my brother) will be goin against my mum, although is not my mum that gave birth to my brother. but my mum carter for his wife here in warri in one year without appreciation rather insult. she has stayed with us for one year without cooking, or even wash or clean the house. so today she insulted me with the word (U dey crazy and other things the husband done for me during my sch), so base on warri aggressiveness I gave her crazy a slap. the questions is, it is an abomination to slap my brothers because she insulted and my mum which we bother are older than her?

1 Like

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by olivegirl(f): 7:32am On May 16, 2016
[color=#770077][/color]
jnize2:
My Name is Jeffrey, pls dont mind the surname. I came from delta and from a polygamous family. which we all live together as brothers and sisters by the policies established by my father. although my mum is the second wife who gave birth to me the writer of this message. we lost the first wife in an unusual sickness assigned by her elder brother. one of my brother got married to an Igbo girl from Imo State. which turn out to be a disaster in my brothers life. however, from one problem or the other she causes problems, which at of one of the problem she caused makes some mob attack the husband with different instruments and the husband fall into coma for 6days. after recovering from that incident, she tune her fighting characters to the husband, which enables the landlord to ask them to vacate the house in Lagos. my brother has no place to go rather to ask her to come down to warri to stay with my parents. as soon as she landed in the house in warri unusual happening began in the house. she started insulting me of which I am older than her with 5years even my 2 brothers are older than her. she insulted my mum, after she will called the husband to tell him different stuff and the husband (my brother) will be goin against my mum, although is not my mum that gave birth to my brother. but my mum carter for his wife here in warri in one year without appreciation rather insult. she has stayed with us for one year without cooking, or even wash or clean the house. so today she insulted me with the word (U dey crazy and other things the husband done for me during my sch), so base on warri aggressiveness I gave her crazy a slap. the questions is, it is an abomination to slap my brothers because she insulted and my mum which we bother are older than her?

You shouldnt have done that, but please avoid her and apologise first. Again tell ur mum to allow her cook. She might have a very bad upbringing
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by VOI16: 11:04pm On May 26, 2016
Dear All,

I hope you are well. My apologies I am just seeing most of your responses. This is Dr Vivian..

First of all, let me apologise to all those who had issues downloading the book on kindle during the free download period. It was later brought to my notice that amazon has some restrictions for certain countries like Nigeria. So again i do apologise to those who had tried but couldn't download. Hopefully in the future, I can find other means to give offers.

The issue of depression and suicide are matters close to my heart, and ones I hope to raise as much awareness of, and provide information or support. I should say that i am not a doctor . I just have a PhD in chemical Engineering. However, Personal experienced inspired the interest and the book.

So if anyone is interested and would like to be a part of it, I am hosting a book reading/signing and discussion event at Quintessence, Ikoyi lagos on 4 June @ 3.30pm. (See IV attached). And as always, I always like to have a theme and medical practitioner assisting me. This time I have Doc Ayomide (The online shrink), and we'll be discussing "Where can one get help in Nigeria".

I get so many calls with people needing help but not knowing where to go, and when I also hear of people attempting suicide or actually committing it, it breaks my heart and I always ask if they got any help. So.. Im sure this session will be informative and exciting, and I'll love to see you guys there.

BoldX asked where he can get the book in abuja. It is available on konga and amazon - http://www.vivianikem.com/shadows-in-the-mirror/

Bemagnify - I am just seeing this and hoping you are okay. Please and please do talk to someone. See someone please. How you are feeling will pass and I want you to tell yourself that "You are a fighter" cause you are. Please don't give up. Can you please let us know that you are okay please.

Depression is something many of us don't talk about, yet it affects as many as 1 in 5 people. There is a real need to talk about it, and to create better understanding around it so that we can help ourselves and others around us, and also not say the wrong things to one another..

I always say this... Depression is not weakness. Seeking help is a sign of strength.... God bless you

bemagnify:

boldx:
Please where can i buy the hardcopy of your book? I am in Abuja.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by cyprus000: 1:23am On May 28, 2016
jnize2:
[size=13pt]
I can't believe that a true waffi blood will allow this level of hogwash be thrown at his mum.

Damn! What nonsense
[/size]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by DEGREE2466(m): 9:20pm On May 28, 2016
your message is good but this might interest you

How to naturally decide the sex of your baby

http://sagaciousguru..com.ng/2016/05/how-to-naturally-decide-sex-gender-of.html?m=1
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by Noble4life(m): 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2016
Hello Nairalanders! Pls I Really Need Help. I Know This Is Wrong, But I Can't Help The Situation At The Moment. Pls I Need To Pay My Children Sch Fees, They've Been At Home For A While Now. I Can't Bear Their Disposition Any More. Plssss!
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 17, 2016
Is disheartening cause no one cares about what the other feels this days. Everything is a joke and it has kept many in the rut of depression. I just wish to help the world, I may not be very popular, but any little way I can, I will make an impact.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by KanwuliaExtra: 2:32am On Jun 24, 2016
With Buhari. . expect MAJOR DEPRESSION caused by 'CHANGE'! grin

1 Like

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by kehmeh(f): 11:03am On Jun 24, 2016
bemagnify:
Believe me sincerely, we are in the same shoes, in fact, my story could even bbe worst than urs but believe me sincerely, suicide is not an option...you didn't give urself that life so u have no right to take it....please don't do something stupid....let's still hold on....we might see a light soonest

5 Likes

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by zayzee(f): 6:28am On Jul 06, 2016
Hmm, I have just happened on this post. Suicide is never an option. Depression is very real and many things can lead to it. I worked on a lady's book recently. She did go the length of hanging herself but God saved her. The fan refused to work. She lived to tell her story in her book 'At The Edge Of Suicide', and offered tips on how people can overcome depression, speaking from her own experience. You can get the book for free on Okada books or download the PDF version at http://zayzeewrites.com/at-the-edge-of-suicide-2/

@Dr. Vivian, very commendable work.God bless you. More people need to speak about depression because a lot of people ignore it. And we are living in times when the situation of things could trigger some to cross the very thin line between life and death, by committing suicide. If you are still looking for ways to give out the ebook for free in Nigeria, you can just upload it unto your website if you have one, or publish it on Okada books or Smashwords. That will make for easy download. And for the hardcopies and coming up with how winners can be selected, I have some options.

It would also be nice if you could partner with a Psychologist or experienced counselor to have some free counseling sessions with some of the people that reached out to you here on Nairaland. ( Forgive me if you have already done that)I know some experienced counselors.

@bemagnify, kehmeh, jnize2, drmikeadams - I hope you guys have gotten help. If you haven't, please please, talk to a trusted person. Someone whose words you respect, someone you admire. If you can, get out of the environment that triggers your depression, until you overcome it. I pray help locates you soon, if it hasn't already.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by Pilate2016(m): 6:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
bemagnify:
Please don't, we love you.

1 Like

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by tweaksolution(m): 11:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by FuckYouMods: 8:46pm On Jul 31, 2016
martyns303:

Good evening sir...
Happy sunday
Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by FuckYouMods: 8:49pm On Jul 31, 2016
mostyg:
Ok
Good evening sir... Happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? by FuckYouMods: 8:51pm On Jul 31, 2016
olivegirl:
Depression is not a play, there is something that caused it, patients should always work on things that depress them. I learnt that major cause of depression is inability to balance spiritual visions and reality.

Depression has been in africa but we belief its a taboo hardly do we think of it. But now nija full for social media, oyibo things all photocopied
Good evening sis...
Happy sunday

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Mother Of Six Paraded For Sleeping With Her Neighbor (pix, Videos) / Lady Goes For Photoshoot With Her Father; He Outshines her (photo) / I Am Ending My Marriage Because Of These (see Reasons And Give Advise)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.