Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? (3631 Views)

How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks After Pregnancy / Remedies And Treatments Of Stretch Marks. / 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by Wisdomkosi(m): 5:31am On Apr 12, 2015
Please I want to know the cause and how can someone avoid stretch marks?
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by lordizak(m): 5:40am On Apr 12, 2015
the thing tire me see. I no dey gym or go swim again....
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by Wisdomkosi(m): 5:43am On Apr 12, 2015
lordizak:
the thing tire me see. I no dey gym or go swim again....
me I never get am but I just want to avoid it kpata kpata because I don't like it
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by FLAWLES(f): 6:20am On Apr 12, 2015
Wisdomkosi:
me I never get am but I just want to avoid it kpata kpata because I don't like it
.U don't have it and u er here asking d cause?if u don't have nw,abeg hw ll you have it later?(no be Say u b girl self)mtwwwwwws
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by martyns303(m): 6:31am On Apr 12, 2015
FLAWLES:
.U don't have it and u er here asking d cause?if u don't have nw,abeg hw ll you have it later?(no be Say u b girl self)mtwwwwwws

Is it only women that should take care of their skin? If he has concerns allow him find the solution.

I don't know what causes it, but I think the cause is in it's name "stretch", I used to be very skinny, and when I started adding weight I decided to convert it to muscle by going to the gym, I noticed I started having a bit of stretch marks close to my armpit, just by the side of my chest. I don't know if it was the weight I added or as a result of the gym. I would think it is the previous as stretch marks are more predominant in thick women and fat people in general.

So if your gaining weight of recent and your concerned, just check the side of your waist or armpit area, those are the areas men usually develop stretch marks.

Cheers.
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by sinaj(f): 6:43am On Apr 12, 2015
diz nt d rite forum

buh itz caused by xcessive fat or ukwu tongue

as for guyz itz as a result of xcessive muscle on the arm.
i dnt knw if it appears on guyz ukwu coz av nt seen any B4 wink

it can be prevented by cocoa butter if u notice it on time smiley

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by Wisdomkosi(m): 6:59am On Apr 12, 2015
FLAWLES:
see me, see wahala. Is there anything wrong if I should know the cause and try to avoid it?
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by Wisdomkosi(m): 7:00am On Apr 12, 2015
sinaj:
diz nt d rite forum

thanks
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by koolet: 7:07am On Apr 12, 2015
a clear sign you been stretched
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by ginawest(f): 7:10am On Apr 12, 2015
sinaj:
diz nt d rite forum

it cud also b caused by using a bad cream or soap
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by SELENAqueensy(f): 7:19am On Apr 12, 2015
ginawest:
it cud also b caused by using a bad cream or soap

Yeah, like that cream called perfect white and the soap
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by ginawest(f): 7:23am On Apr 12, 2015
SELENAqueensy:

Yeah, like that cream called perfect white and the soap
babe,a million lyks for dat....dat perfect white z d worst cream n soap eva!...if not for jergens,I don't know wot wud av apund to my body because of dat useless perfect white
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by naijaboiy: 7:26am On Apr 12, 2015
FLAWLES:
And who says it's only girls that have stretch marks? undecided

Your height of dumbness is amazing. shocked

3 Likes

Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by whizqueen(f): 7:33am On Apr 12, 2015
Apply shea butter to the area very often and massage lightly.
It works if the shea butter is original.
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 12, 2015
sinaj:
diz nt d rite forum

And the use of shea-butter too.
@times toning of one's skin causes stretch-marks.
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by koolet: 7:35am On Apr 12, 2015
dude thats too much for the poor guy
culdnt help but lolzzz amazing dumbility
naijaboiy:

Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by moski5(m): 7:56am On Apr 12, 2015
I hear its caused by

d n c 4 ladies

premature expulsion 4 guys
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by prettyjo(f): 8:07am On Apr 12, 2015
#smh# at the type of comments I read here
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by Nobody: 8:08am On Apr 12, 2015
Stretch marks are the result of rapid stretching of the skin due to sudden growth or weight gain.
This stretching causes the middle layer of skin (the dermis) to tear, allowing the deeper skin layers to show through, forming stretch marks.
The dermis contains strong, inter-connected fibres that allow your skin to stretch as your body grows. However, rapid growth can over-stretch and break the fibres.
The tears in the dermis allow the blood vessels below to show through. This is why stretch marks are often red or purple when they first appear.
When the blood vessels eventually contract, the pale-coloured fat underneath your skin will be visible, and your stretch marks will change to a silvery-white colour.
When stretch marks occur
Stretch marks often occur:
during pregnancy
after rapid weight gain
during puberty
if you have a family history of stretch marks
if you have an underlying health condition or a syndrome, such as Marfan syndrome
after the prolonged or inappropriate use of corticosteroid medication  
These are discussed in more detail below.
Pregnancy
Stretch marks are common during the later stages of pregnancy, affecting about 8 out of 10 pregnant women. Whether or not you'll get stretch marks depends on your skin type and how elastic it is.
During pregnancy, your body produces hormones that soften the ligaments in your pelvis so they're more flexible when you give birth. Ligaments are strong bands of tissue that connect joints. However, the hormones also soften the fibres in your skin, making you prone to stretch marks.
As your baby grows, you may get stretch marks on your tummy, as your skin stretches. You may also develop stretch marks on your thighs and breasts as they get bigger.
After childbirth, stretch marks usually fade and become less noticeable, but they don't always disappear completely.
Rapid weight gain
You may get stretch marks if you put on a lot of weight over a short period of time.
The stretch marks sometimes remain even after losing weight, but should eventually fade.
If you diet regularly, stretch marks can occur as your weight goes up and down. Should you need to lose weight, lose it slowly and steadily so that your skin isn't put under strain.
Read more about how to lose weight safely.
Bodybuilders and athletes can also get stretch marks as their muscles increase in size.
Puberty
During puberty, the body often develops very quickly in growth spurts.
Boys may get stretch marks on their shoulders and back, and girls may get them on their hips, thighs and breasts.
Family history
If you have a close relative with stretch marks, such as your mother, you're more likely to develop them yourself.
Although stretch marks can affect both male and female members of your family, they're most common in women.
Underlying health conditions
Stretch marks can sometimes be caused by rare, underlying health conditions or syndromes, such as Cushing's syndrome and Marfan syndrome.
Cushing's syndrome occurs when the body overproduces the hormone cortisol, which is thought to cause stretch marks to develop.
Marfan syndrome is caused by a faulty gene that affects your body's skin and connective tissues. It weakens your body's tissues, reducing their elasticity (ability to stretch). This means your skin isn't as resistant to stretch marks as it should be.
If you have Marfan syndrome, you may develop stretch marks on your shoulders, hips or lower back.
Corticosteroids
In rare cases, stretch marks can develop after prolonged or inappropriate use of corticosteroid medicines, such as creams or lotions used to treat skin conditions, including eczema.
Corticosteroids work in a similar way to the hormone cortisol, which is naturally produced by your body.
Corticosteroids can help ease inflammatory skin conditions; however, like cortisol, they can also decrease the amount of collagen in your skin.
Collagen is a protein that helps to keep your skin stretchy. This means that the less collagen there is in your skin, the more likely you are to develop stretch marks.
When using a corticosteroid cream or lotion, make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions about how and where to apply it. The face, groin and armpits are particularly sensitive areas. If you're unsure, ask your GP or pharmacist for advice.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Stretch-marks/Pages/Causes.aspx

2 Likes

Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 12, 2015
Health section !!!

This is not romantic in any way undecided

Anyway , use shea butter n coconut oil u will never get it ir ur bae whoever smiley
Just skin that stretches causes it i.e weight gain and lose can give those marks ..
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by sinizia: 11:02am On Apr 12, 2015
Stretch marks are the result of rapid stretching of the
skin due to sudden growth or weight gain.

This stretching causes the middle layer of skin (the dermis)
to tear, allowing the deeper skin layers to show through,
forming stretch marks. The dermis contains strong, inter-connected fibres that allow your skin to stretch as your body grows. However, rapid growth can over-stretch and break the fibres.

The tears in the dermis allow the blood vessels below to
show through. This is why stretch marks are often red or
purple when they first appear. When the blood vessels eventually contract, the pale-coloured fat underneath your skin will be visible, and your stretch marks will change to a silvery-white colour.
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by lasheez(m): 11:23am On Apr 12, 2015
Excess Fat causes it especially around areas where its a bit tight and fat builds up around such areas .
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by FLAWLES(f): 7:13pm On Apr 12, 2015
naijaboiy:

.and i din say only gals have or develop it.and wat i meant by"no b say u be girl" i know its only gals dat grow it wen der er adding weight or fat;and pls next time don't quote me;;can't remember eva quoting u
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by DeidraMonika: 5:14pm On May 21, 2017
I'm a yoga and fitness instructor and I have been recommending Dermelastic serum to all of my students who will likely be losing a large amount of weight, or adding a substantial amount of muscle. Normally a big problem resulting in marks. This serum works great and none of them have developed stretch marks when using it as they begin
Re: What's The Cause Of Stretch Marks? by starrybelle: 3:32pm On May 31, 2017
DeidraMonika:
I'm a yoga and fitness instructor and I have been recommending Dermelastic serum to all of my students who will likely be losing a large amount of weight, or adding a substantial amount of muscle. Normally a big problem resulting in marks. This serum works great and none of them have developed stretch marks when using it as they begin
please how much is the Dermelastic serum

(1) (Reply)

Help!!! My Testicles Are Melting... / Multi-millionaire Nigerian Doctor, Dr Titus Odedun Disgraced In The UK / Total Life Changes Products? 08034308587

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.