Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,545 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon (2380 Views)

Now On Sale Innoson Salon Cars. / 2015 Toyota War: Camry Vs Corolla Vs Avensis (2015) / Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better (2) (3) (4)

Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 3:51pm On Apr 12, 2015
Please, i would like to know what your experiences are with this car, as regards, its estimated cost, engine power, estimated cost for cotonou (tokunbo), fuel efficiency, parts availability and affordability, regular problems. i would greatly appreciate this before i go ahead to buy. thanks. and if you have pictures of the car, please post.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by Exponental(m): 4:07pm On Apr 12, 2015
EHITZ:
Please, i would like to know what your experiences are with this car, as regards, its estimated cost, engine power, estimated cost for cotonou (tokunbo), fuel efficiency, parts availability and affordability, regular problems. i would greatly appreciate this before i go ahead to buy. thanks. and if you have pictures of the car, please post.
so many people in d past had made mistakes of model years of cars. I advice u download pix of d car u are referring to for better communication.
best of luck!
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 12, 2015
EHITZ:

Go for it. I know of a man who used that car for 3 years till it was crushed by a dangote truck. He's own car was maroon coloured saloon 2.0 3S-FE engine with auto. His was a LHD (from either German or Beligum). Pls DON'T buy a UK RHD and convert it. Get a LHD model. Thanks.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 4:43pm On Apr 12, 2015
Thank you so much lomomike. that really helps, but the car is a left hand drive from the pictures i saw, but how do i know if it has not been converted.

@expontial, i have the pics of the car.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 12, 2015
EHITZ:
Thank you so much lomomike. that really helps, but the car is a left hand drive from the pictures i saw, but how do i know if it has not been converted.

@expontial, i have the pics of the car.
Upload pictures of the front close to the windscreen showing the wipers, sit in the back seat and take pictures of the dashboard showing both the steering wheel and front passenger area. Then start the car for 1 minute and snap picture of the car dashboard showing all the dials. Finally snap the engine picture.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 4:55pm On Apr 12, 2015
i have really not had contact with the car, so, i may not be able to do all that. i was only sent these few pictures.

Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by obua: 6:19pm On Apr 12, 2015
Its probably a LHD drive. Look at the fuel tank opener lever under the drivers seat.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 6:31pm On Apr 12, 2015
Thanks obua.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by DGD1(m): 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2015
obua:
Its probably a LHD drive. Look at the fuel tank opener lever under the drivers seat.

u myt not tell by DAT, av seen clean conversions DAT r lyk DAT. one way I think is by snapping d gear stick since its auto,
den d hand suspension overhead, d driver side should not have, if d driver side should have and the front passenger side doesn't have, bro....it was converted
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 13, 2015
The best way to tell if it's a converted RHD car, rather than a genuine LHD one is to check the one thing that often gets overlooked in these conversions.

The carpet. If it's a split one, then the front section.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 10:55am On Apr 14, 2015
thanks guys, i need more contributions on this car.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by paix(m): 11:23pm On Apr 19, 2015
DGD1:

u myt not tell by DAT, av seen clean conversions DAT r lyk DAT. one way I think is by snapping d gear stick since its auto,
den d hand suspension overhead, d driver side should not have, if d driver side should have and the front passenger side doesn't have, bro....it was converted
Judging by the overhead hand suspension, my avensis 2011 model has 4. What would you say about that?
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by DGD1(m): 5:52am On Apr 20, 2015
paix:
Judging by the overhead hand suspension, my avensis 2011 model has 4. What would you say about that?

mr,
pls read what I said well, I made mention of 3 overhead hand suspension with a condition (IF). I didn't say it was a sure way to know. since yours is having 4 their are other ways to know if it was converted.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 10:09pm On Apr 20, 2015
Paix, I noticed my steering and gear are not so soft, and the power steering oil is well gaged. What could be wrong? And what is the danger in having coolants below minimum.
My radiator is a single cell, do I need to change it?
And lastly, what is the function of O/D off/on button on the gear stick.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by nurey(m): 11:38pm On Apr 20, 2015
EHITZ:
Paix, I noticed my steering and gear are not so soft, and the power steering oil is well gaged. What could be wrong? And what is the danger in having coolants below minimum.
My radiator is a single cell, do I need to change it?
And lastly, what is the function of O/D off/on button on the gear stick.

1. I hope the car was running before U touched the steering, if car isn't running steering will be stiff

2. Is the car manual drive cause I don't understand soft gear. If manual and the gear is stiff or u hear metal sound when changing, then it may need transmission fluid to be added or gauged.

3. Your coolant shouldn't be below minimum, it can cause over-heating. Flush the one inside and do a refill by buying coolant (premixed or not). Never use only water in the radiator to avoid over heating.

4. You don't need to change anything whether single or half cell radiator. The manufacturer knows what they are doing before they installed a single cell one. Just ensure your thermostat is intact and do the coolant thing I outlined.

5. O/D means over drive. You don't really need this feature ON as it increases fuel consumption. It is sometimes useful when pulling load (like a trailer). But check your owners manual, the function is there I have forgotten the rest.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 10:59pm On Apr 21, 2015
nurey:

1. I hope the car was running before U touched the steering, if car isn't running steering will be stiff

2. Is the car manual drive cause I don't understand soft gear. If manual and the gear is stiff or u hear metal sound when changing, then it may need transmission fluid to be added or gauged.

3. Your coolant shouldn't be below minimum, it can cause over-heating. Flush the one inside and do a refill by buying coolant (premixed or not). Never use only water in the radiator to avoid over heating.

4. You don't need to change anything whether single or half cell radiator. The manufacturer knows what they are doing before they installed a single cell one. Just ensure your thermostat is intact and do the coolant thing I outlined.

5. O/D means over drive. You don't really need this feature ON as it increases fuel consumption. It is sometimes useful when pulling load (like a trailer). But check your owners manual, the function is there I have forgotten the rest.

thank you so much man for taking out your time, that was very helpful. What coolant would you recommend for my car? And what is the cost.
and i would like to know the recommended rim for my tyres. I want to change them soon.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by nurey(m): 6:39am On Apr 22, 2015
EHITZ:

thank you so much man for taking out your time, that was very helpful. What coolant would you recommend for my car? And what is the cost.
and i would like to know the recommended rim for my tyres. I want to change them soon.

Coolant from a reliable fueling station will do, they mostly recommend TOTAL's coolant here on car talk but any quality coolant should do the trick. I have never bought before so can't give you a price range.

I don't know what rim are stock on your car but its easy, by checking your tyre rating you will know ur rim size. Go to your tyres and you will see a number like this "215/70R15 LT" that is my own tyre rating let me explain the meaning in lay man terms

-The 215 I think is the radius abi nah circumference of the tyre.
- the 70 I think is the width surface ie the surface that comes directly in contact with the road
-R15 is my rim size, so am running a 15inch rim so we have other rim size like 16,17 etc so when buying rims, it should be inches infront of the R and the tyre number ie 215/70 must be same as the new tyre u want to get. Its possible for you to use bigger rim size ie 20, 22inches etc but it will affect your fuel economy negatively and ride balance/performance but may give ur ride aesthetic/beauty.
- the "LT" represents light truck on my tyre, majorly in Nigeria we don't put too much emphasis on the lettering maybe because we don't have snow here.

Remember to check your recommended tyre pressure don't let vulcanizer just pump 50psi because that's what they like to pump, most tyres are rated at max pressure of 51psi, if you have 50psi pumped and you speed which will cause expansion of the air, the tyre will go kaboom.
Re: Toyota Avensis 2002 Salon by EHITZ(m): 9:37am On Apr 22, 2015
Thanks so much man. You are such a saviour. I have learnt so much from this.

Increase The Brightness Of Headlamps With Relays? :( / 2017 Kia Stinger Gt-the Quickest, Most Luxurious &most Expensive Kia Car(photos) / Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer.