Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,589 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. (2384 Views)

As A First Time Car Owner, Toyota Corolla 2010 Or Honda Civic 2011? / Another Car Buyer Caught In Car Dealers Trap / Top 50 Best Cars To Buy As A Nigerian First Time Car Buyer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 12:03pm On Dec 04, 2018
Errrmm, greetings brethren. I shall begin this tale with salutations to all the great men and women who have made the car talk and autos sections of this forum the educative luminary it is and by extension, how many lives it has saved. Salutations also go to those who have made meaningful contributions by way of their questions and experiences.

I'll be telling a concise true story about a first time car buyer who found himself in a quagmire many of us here wudda found ourselves but for this great forum.

The intent isn't to ridicule the person but to "serve as a detterent" to others. Especially those feel it's their birthright to buy "any good car" at any amount they've been privileged with.

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 12:52pm On Dec 04, 2018
I listed a 2007 Toyota Corolla, single owner, 2years old, quite good condition. It had been baked once and it was up for sale at N1,350,000 asking. I brought it down to 1,200,000 because the bearings we're noisy. As expected, offers trooped in, ranging from 300,000 to 850,000 as they claimed, because it's white colour.

Then came Ibrahim's call. "How much?" "What's the condition?" "Oh I hate white! But I'll manage it."

When he heard the price, he started from 550k and kept bargaining for over 4 days till we eventually rounded off at 1,150,000 with the promise to pay upon inspection. He ordered that since he's a working class somebody and an employee of an employer, the vehicle should be brought to Ikoyi for inspection likely during his lunch break.
Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 1:12pm On Dec 04, 2018
The follwing day, on the orders of Ibrahim, vehicle arrived Ikoyi after 3hours of gruelling traffic on third mainland bridge. Upon arrival, all calls and texts to Ibrahim were ignored for over 40minutes.

I decided to console myself in vain with the time based bonus Taxify was offering drivers for the day. I spent almost another hour getting in traffic enabling riders to request and cancel on me the moment they sight my location, effectively crippling my finished rate and depriving me of my already slim chances of achieving the bonus target.

As I was approaching falomo bridge a call came in from Ibrahim, that he was busy and vehicle should be moved to Obalende for his mechanic to inspect. Well, compromis. Vehicle was taken to Obalende. Interestingly, that 4 minute trip took another 74minutes. Anyway mechanic came and started asking for his own commission to tell client what I wanted him to say. I asked him to do his inspection and kindly tell Mr Ibrahim his sincere observation. Guess what, Mechanic was an apprentice cheesy. He called his boss. That one did what he could do, called Ibrahim and spoke their common language to him ending with "owa okay" and "beeni". This whole trip started about 11am. By this time it was past 5pm. I called Ibrahim to know when he's paying...
Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by CarGuideNG: 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2018
Following with rapt attention smiley

1 Like

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 1:41pm On Dec 04, 2018
Mr Ibrahim didn't pick his calls till about 5:30pm. angry At this time i was really furious. I had to leave. As I was driving into the traffic waiting on me back to the mainland, I remembered I was to buy a car from Diportivo some time ago. For strange reasons, I stood him up. He didn't utter a word about it till date. So I accepted this was repayment in my own coin. But within me I tried to convince myself that Badoo killings at Ikorodu were prevalent at the time and I was justified not to have gone as a then stranger in Lagos. Ibrahim had no reason or combination of reasons to do that to me : tongue tongue I was laughing at my confused emotions when messages from Ibrahim trickled in...

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 1:59pm On Dec 04, 2018
At this point, I was really upset. I had disappointed other potential buyers by telling them I was unavailable. Nothing he said mattered to me anymore. I was going to sell to the next human being or robot that made an offer to me and was willing to pay. I called Ibra again, he ignored. So I called someone else who agreed to make payment the following morning. But Ibra continued texting anyway...

1 Like

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by diportivo: 2:00pm On Dec 04, 2018
too many boards mehn

ibro making presentation to the board

mechanic making adjustments to the board

we need to draw the schematics of both boards on a white board

and have the board of demeanors decide what to do tongue

20 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 2:20pm On Dec 04, 2018
He never called back. Two days later, the car had been sold. He called and I was now too busy to pick up. His tune changed, he composed a dirge over the car and somehow we became friends. He started getting sentimental about the whole thing and It was at that point I realized he loved white cars, And he loved mine and tasked me with the responsibility of getting him a clean one.

A dealer bought the one I sold so I asked him to see if he could get from him but it was expectedly above his budget like. Suddenly I stopped hearing from Ibrahim. I hoped he didnt go around third mainland bridge with that mood...

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 2:29pm On Dec 04, 2018
After Days and weeks of being incommunicado, Ibrahim suddenly updated his WhatsApp status. Immediately I reached out to him wondering if he was okay. Some part of me felt he may have been swindled or Hoodwinked into buying a car he didn't want me to know about. But he wasn't reachable, so I dismissed such "selfish" thoughts. I later got to know why...

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 2:39pm On Dec 04, 2018
Somehow, more conversations ensued and then I got to find out what befell dear Ibrahim. He bought a used 2002 Mercedes Benz ML350 "Jeep" at #700,000embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:54pm On Dec 04, 2018
Mrtesso:
Somehow, more conversations ensued and then I got to find out what befell dear Ibrahim. He bought a used 2002 Mercedes Benz ML350 "Jeep" at #700,000embarassed embarassed

I can't laugh alone.... Thecar, thebigkendo, Obekediamondfuto, oblo, oluwaseunla, kwett, Eherbal, egunmogaji, nurey, radautoworks, cityngr, Costee..
Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by FLAKARIBE(m): 3:13pm On Dec 04, 2018
please do not laugh at the corolla turned ml buyer.
Some mistakes in life are meant to be learnt by peeps, and others learn from someone else mistake ie the former.
we pray the lata is our portion.
only lost 200k and not all his cash.
lesson learnt. he will not make same mistake twice.
"Ocean is deep, sharks are hungry and drowning is inevitable"
Better luck next time.

1 Like

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 3:20pm On Dec 04, 2018
diportivo:
too many boards mehn

You certainly understand the board of transmission going on in my mind at the time sir...

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 3:26pm On Dec 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I can't laugh alone.... Thecar, thebigkendo, Obekediamondfuto, oblo, oluwaseunla, kwett, Eherbal, egunmogaji, nurey, radautoworks, cityngr, Costee..

Uncle G, they say if u laugh at someones misfortune, it might befall you. Is it true? Or it doesn't apply to demeanors?

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:39pm On Dec 04, 2018
Mrtesso:

Uncle G, they say if u laugh at someones misfortune, it might befall you. Is it true? Or it doesn't apply to demeanors?

Sadly I have no pity for such people.

4 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by radautoworks: 3:47pm On Dec 04, 2018
I don't feel sorry for him. He thought he could play games until OP lost all other buyers and he could low-ball him.

5 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mayor555(m): 4:04pm On Dec 04, 2018
Smiles, Ibra be like some people I know.....
If I start story, here no go contain.

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by oluwaseunla(m): 4:38pm On Dec 04, 2018
diportivo:
too many boards mehn

This man ehn!!! cheesy cheesy grin

OP, you write very well. Felt sorry for Mr. Ibra though.

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 04, 2018
Smart alec!: egoist and egotist, mean and miserly, penny wise pounds foolish.

4 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:36pm On Dec 04, 2018
No sympathy for the guy from me: Bleep him! If you're doing business, be straightforward.

4 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by FlutterDollar99(m): 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2018
Op did you ever to stop to consider if Ibrahim didn't actually have the money for the initial Toyota Corolla and actually really wanted to own a car? That was why he wasn't responding frequently.
I believe he was a first time buyer and that was why he fell for the wrong car. Lesson learnt, Life goes on cry

1 Like

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by oblo(m): 5:42pm On Dec 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Reporting for duty...

I get better melecine for Ibrahim because the kain fever and headache coupled with internal heat he would be experiencing now ehn na ogbonge.

What on earth was he thinking!!? An ML viz a viz corolla??

His village people, are straight up gangsters I tell you. angry

6 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I dey come.

Lemme quickly transmission my work here

Modified.

The buyer actually think he his smart but he is actually not smart.

People usually think asking questions or seeking help is a sign of weakness but in the real sense it takes a strong person to seek help.

If he can't trust you as the seller to give him proper advice (I wouldn't also trust a seller's judgement without a sound second opinion), he should have seek counsel of someone knowledgeable about cars before making a move.

Also OP, you somehow indirectly didn't help him. When you meet his suppose mechanic, their was a red-flag which you should have probably warn him about later when you guys became friends and chat buddy.

If you told him, he would haven't probably seek the opinion of the quack mechanic that eventually cost him 200k lesson.

Am sure the mechanic, use the same approach with the Benz seller and since he or she knows that the Benz is faulty, he/she need to buy someone he/she know the Ibrahim would trust his judgement on the car which happens to be the mechanic.

He trusted the mechanic, the mechanic is a dubious person and the buyer thinks he his too smart to seek counsel of the wise before making a mistake that cost him 200k.

Hopefully, he has learnt a lesson, hopefully you would tell him about his 'trusted' mechanic dubious act and hopefully Ibrahim would seek counsel of the wise before making a dumb move next time thinking He his the smartest person in Lagos.

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 7:26pm On Dec 04, 2018
radautoworks:
I don't feel sorry for him. He thought he could play games until OP lost all other buyers and he could low-ball him.

Apparently. I wanno think he felt smart. Somehow I also believe he probably didn't have the purchase amount handy. E want see Maybe I for use annoyance sell am.

Many clients are like that. They'll guide u into a car lot, pick the most expensive option and start explaining their wives just gave birth and they need the car to drive her around so if u could just consider them with what they have, the Lord will bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 7:37pm On Dec 04, 2018
oluwaseunla:

This man ehn!!! cheesy cheesy grin

OP, you write very well. Felt sorry for Mr. Ibra though.

Thank u Seun. But he was warned.
Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by Mrtesso: 7:43pm On Dec 04, 2018
FlutterDollar99:
Op did you ever to stop to consider if Ibrahim didn't actually have the money for the initial Toyota Corolla and actually really wanted to own a car? That was why he wasn't responding frequently.
I believe he was a first time buyer and that was why he fell for the wrong car. Lesson learnt, Life goes on cry

I did consider that sir. But then I remembered that some clients come to buy a toks 2007 Camry with 1,800,000. When they realize it won't afford them the car of their dream, dey settle for 2006 or 2005. Better yet they go back to DOUBLE their efforts. At the point he told me, there was nothing I could do for him really.

He's actually a first time buyer. But He introduced himself as a "sharp guy", not a first time buyer.

1 Like

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:05pm On Dec 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

well as the chairman of the demeanors board... I hereby grant Ibrahim the right to answer dancok.

a lesson well taught and hopefully learned! it's a terrible thing to see people.... nice people, get swindled because of ignorance or being overly smart....

unfortunately, Nigeria has become inhabitable for all those light headed, weak, timid, naive and ignorant fellows..... most esp Lagos!

I don't blame them, once It was dark, bleak and gloomy for me, now I see the light shining brightly on me... and trust me, I paid my dues in full!
Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by eherbal(m): 10:26pm On Dec 04, 2018
[/b]
Mrtesso:
He never called back. Two days later, the car had been sold. He called and I was now too busy to pick up. His tune changed, he composed a dirge over the car and somehow we became friends. He started getting sentimental about the whole thing and It was at that point I realized he loved white cars, And he loved mine and tasked me with the responsibility of getting him a clean one.

A dealer bought the one I sold so I asked him to see if he could get from him but it was expectedly above his budget like. Suddenly I stopped hearing from Ibrahim. [/b]I hoped he didnt go around third mainland bridge with that mood
super lol grin
Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by CityNGR: 7:02am On Dec 05, 2018
Mrtesso:
At this point, I was really upset. I had disappointed other potential buyers by telling them I was unavailable. Nothing he said mattered to me anymore. I was going to sell to the next human being or robot that made an offer to me and was willing to pay. I called Ibra again, he ignored. So I called someone else who agreed to make payment the following morning. But Ibra continued texting anyway...
This moment ehn...

1 Like

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by CityNGR: 7:05am On Dec 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I can't laugh alone.... Thec.ar, thebigke.ndo, Obeked.iamondfuto, o.blo, oluwa.seunla, kwett, Eher.bal, egunmogaji, nur.ey, ra.dautoworks, cityngr, Cos.tee..
He's lucky...he got burnt for only 200k.

3 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by diportivo: 7:35am On Dec 05, 2018
Mrtesso:
I remembered I was to buy a car from Diportivo some time ago. For strange reasons, I stood him up. He didn't utter a word about it till date. So I accepted this was repayment in my own coin.

since we av boarded up the thread across board,I have time to respond to this.....

I didn't need to utter a word...to u,or anybody

u remain my friend weda the deal worked out or not

and if karma go happen,na me go do my own back not ibro,not any other person tongue

as people fear this Badoo story reach,ikorodu suppose don empty grin grin

we thank God the worst is over....and ur concerns then were extremely genuine

same way I have a thing for phc and I don't look forward to visiting there for any reason undecided

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of A "Witty" First Time Car Buyer. by elshanAutos: 7:59am On Dec 05, 2018
Next time ;

Mr H “I’m busy at work can’t come down to you bla bla”

Mrtesso “the service will cost you 5/10k” (depending on Mr H’s location)

This will save you a lot of time in future transactions.

Baranda101 grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

POSSIBLE? FROM NO CAR TO NEW SPORT LOOKING CAR WITH JUST N985K / Let's Learn More About Automobiles / CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.