Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Pair Of Japanese Mangoes Sold At $2,500: A Wake-up Call To Nigerian Agricultural - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pair Of Japanese Mangoes Sold At $2,500: A Wake-up Call To Nigerian Agricultural (830 Views)

Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know / Mobile Orchard. Oranges, Mangoes Grown In Bags! / Mangoes For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pair Of Japanese Mangoes Sold At $2,500: A Wake-up Call To Nigerian Agricultural by juman(m): 3:28pm On Apr 13, 2015
A deep pocketed Japanese department store shelled out an eye-watering 300,000 yen ($2,500) Monday for a pair of mangoes, a record price for the second year in a row. After the hammer fell at an auction in far-southern Miyazaki, the successful bidder airlifted the fruit to its luxury shop in Fukuoka, where they went on sale at a bargain 210,000 yen, according to the Miyazaki Agricultural Economic Federation.

The mangoes — top-of-the-range “Taiyo no Tamago” (Egg of the Sun)-brand — were the first to go for auction this year, an occasion that usually attracts inflated prices. To qualify as a “Taiyo no Tamago” mango, each fruit must weigh at least 350 grams (12 oz) and have a high sugar content.

While $2,500 is steep for a pair of mangoes, fruit is routinely expensive in Japan and it is not unusual for a single apple to cost upwards of $3. This year’s must-have luxury fruit is a particular brand of strawberry, with a single berry currently selling for around $415. However, all pale in comparison with the tear-inducing $25,000 price tag for a pair of cantaloupe melons auctioned in 2008.

It is however believed that Nigeria should take a leaf from Japan and move the agricultural sector to such enviable hights through the speedy provisions of agricultural imputs to farmers, provision of irrigation facilities, engagement of agric extension workers and the making of sufficient loans available to farmers. This in turn will boost yield, and attract more youths into the sector as well as boost both export and revenues generated from the sector.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/pair-of-japanese-mangoes-sold-at-250-a-wake-up-call-to-nigerian-agricultural-sector/
Re: Pair Of Japanese Mangoes Sold At $2,500: A Wake-up Call To Nigerian Agricultural by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 13, 2015
Wow! Nigeria has a large expanse of arable land. Agriculture should be a priority.
On a personal level, I hate agriculture with passion; but something keeps telling me that I'll make billions from agriculture. Well, sometimes I bind that voice in my head, and other times I just want to bang my head against a wall...just to silence that voice. cheesy
Re: Pair Of Japanese Mangoes Sold At $2,500: A Wake-up Call To Nigerian Agricultural by juman(m): 4:51pm On Apr 13, 2015
RickRichards:
Wow! Nigeria has a large expanse of arable land. Agriculture should be a priority.
On a personal level, I hate agriculture with passion; but something keeps telling me that I'll make billions from agriculture. Well, sometimes I bind that voice in my head, and other times I just want to bang my head against a wall...just to silence that voice. cheesy

nigeria need to get money from other areas, agriculture is one of the surest way, even this country can make more money from agriculture than oil.

The oil money is not guarantee the oil price can reduce to lowest of the low.

(1) (Reply)

N20bn Agric Project Births In Nigeria / Tuta Absoluta Moth Must Die.still On Tomato Mission / Soybean Processing Equipment For Making Soybean Sprout/tofu/ Soymilk/soyoil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.