Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Get Familiar With Roles Of Music Professionals: Get Your Music Team Ready - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Get Familiar With Roles Of Music Professionals: Get Your Music Team Ready (575 Views)

Defining The Different Genres Of Music / Mention A Good Song & The Artist That You Think People May Not Be Familiar With / A-z Of Music Production And Studio Set-up (must Read For All Music Lover)::::::: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Get Familiar With Roles Of Music Professionals: Get Your Music Team Ready by Vertch: 2:44pm On Apr 14, 2015
Just before you decide to go fully into the music industry you may want to know some of the people you will need on you team. If you are about setting up your own record label you will need these departments to keep creating those hit records.

ARTISTS AND REPERTOIRE (A&R)

This is the division of a record label or music publishing company that is responsible for talent scouting and overseeing the artistic development of recording artists and/or songwriters. It also acts as a liaison between artists and the record label or publishing company; every activity involving artists to the point of album release is generally considered under the purview of, and responsibility of, A&R.

A&R department can be further divided into:

A&R Assistant: An A&R Assistant can be responsible for supporting any and all A&R administrative tasks. Specific responsibilities of this position often include office duties, helping to scout new bands, artists, and music, as well as attending shows and acting as a liaison between the A&R rep and the record label. This position must often maintain and develop relationships directly with artists, scout and research new artists, songwriters, and producers, review demo submissions, cover shows, coordinate detailed bi-weekly A&R research reports and carry out other scouting projects.

A&R Director: The Artist & Repertoire (A&R) Director runs the department responsible for finding and signing new music talent. They are responsible for the budget of the department, managing the staff, hiring new staff and sometimes acting as A&R manager for larger acts. They are responsible for managing the A&R coordinators and other A&R staff.
An A&R Director needs a thorough understanding of music and the contemporary music scene. They need to know how music works and how albums are recorded and produced. Decisions must be based on sound knowledge, research and understanding of the music. It is helpful to have a good understanding of a variety of genres, for example classical, contemporary, rock, pop, and jazz. They also need excellent judgment to make decisions about the likelihood of commercial success, and the negotiating skills to ensure they get the best deal for the record company while supporting the artists’ ambitions.

A&R Manager: A&R Managers are creative people with good business skills and a solid understanding of the music marketplace. It is not enough to like the music, an A&R Manager needs an excellent knowledge of the contemporary music scene and to understand what sells. The main job is picking acts that will be successful and then working with the act to find the right producers and writers. The process is very much a nurturing one to ensure the band or solo artist impacts at the right time with the right material.

ACCOUNTS / FINANCE ASSISTANT

The job description for an Accounts/Finance Assistant is defined by requiring this person to be responsible for departmental billings, processing both accounts payable and accounts receivable, preparing monthly and annual financial projections and reports, and any other job related tasks assigned by their superiors.
An Accounts/Finance Assistant working in the Royalties department is generally responsible for assisting in ensuring that licensing deals are tracked and that payments are timely and in accordance with agreements. This position is responsible for the processing of artist royalties related to these agreements.
Responsibilities may include processing payments, voids and reissues, releasing withheld monies, setting up charges, placing withholds, and legal department correspondence.

BUSINESS CONSULTANT

A Business Consultant is a position that requires someone with insight, foresight, and a general overall perspective of a company and where it stands among its competitors. This is often a role that is outsourced or a contracted position by a company, because it requires someone who is not necessarily a part of the integral day to day operations of that company.

CONCERT MANAGER

A Concert Manager will usually be employed by an orchestra or other musical ensemble in the field of classical music, or by a concert venue. Their job is to ensure the smooth running of the rehearsal and concert, with particular responsibilities for the orchestra, soloists and conductor or other musicians. They will make decisions, with the conductor or director, about rehearsals, concert schedules and arrangements, and make sure those requirements are met.
The Concert Manager’s task will include making the necessary arrangements for each dress rehearsal and concert, on site implementation of the arrangements, liaison with the conductor and other key people to decide what equipment and arrangements will be needed (for example lighting or risers), see that these arrangements are made, procure and arrange for the transportation of borrowed equipment to the hall and for its return, organize access arrangements needed to get into the venue to set up, take down, and store equipment. They may also be responsible for the concert seating plan if desired by the music director or conductor.
Depending on the organization they work for, a Concert Manager role may overlap with that of promoter. They may have responsibilities for programing, negotiating deals, budgeting, ticketing, licenses, taxes, work permits, deal memos, contracts, sponsorship, public funding, production, staging and promotion.
A Concert Manager will need excellent organizational and project management skills, and be confident working under pressure. They will also need good staff management skills as they will usually be responsible for other staff working on the concert. It can be a senior role in itself, depending on the organization they work for, or a good route to a senior position in music or events management. They will need to have an appreciation of the type of music played at the concerts they manage, and of the needs of the musicians. Marketing and PR skills are also appreciated and are sometimes a key part of the job.

CREW

A Crew is responsible for handling stage properties such as scenery and equipment in a theatrical production.

DJ

A DJ or Disc Jockey is someone who selects pre-recorded music, and plays it for an audience of people.

:: FULL ARTICLE HERE>> http://vertch.com/2015/01/get-familiar-with-roles-of-music-professionals-get-your-team-ready-for-the-new-year/
Re: Get Familiar With Roles Of Music Professionals: Get Your Music Team Ready by Insuurance(m): 4:18pm On Apr 14, 2015
Ok, I got the Info. I want u to know that I'm a GREAT music producer and lecturer at MOUAU. I'm based at Umuahia; but available in all states of the federation and other countries because of concerts and other seminars or outreach programmes.

I do RnB, rap, Hip hop, spoken words, Soul, worship, Raggea and dance hall music. If you wanna be a star, get in touch with me.

You can Whatapps on +234-07062586862 (or call me).

Facebook me at www.facebook.com/D.Insurance.

I'm also a song writer, motivational speaker; project analyst, system engineer, researcher, agricultural economist, Marketer; studio manager, researcher, part time teacher, Video/music producer and an upcoming politician.

We could be friends; you'll never regret of knowing me. I ll help to spice up ur music/video production; while still improving ur other aspects of lives. Give it a try Now!

AKA Insurance DSS (De Super Star!).

(1) (Reply)

See Nicki Minaj Doing The Anaconda With Lagbaja / Shakkiti Bobo / Winners At The 2015 Billboard Music Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.