Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

How Right Is Eternal Security? (once Saved Always Saved)pt.1- - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Right Is Eternal Security? (once Saved Always Saved)pt.1- (726 Views)

Bible Scholars Lets Discuss Eternal Security / Once Saved Always Saved / How Right Is Eternal Security?pts3(once Saved Always Saved?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Right Is Eternal Security? (once Saved Always Saved)pt.1- by lanrezion01: 4:27pm On Apr 15, 2015
HOW RIGHT IS ETERNAL SECURITY?Pt1

Now, my understanding of eternal security from several teachers and preachers over the years is such that I find a little inconsistent with what I've read in the bible. In as much as I am a believer and product of the gospel of grace which was a revelation unveiled by Apostle Paul to the church, I just feel some teachers haven't balanced certain things properly or are on one side of the divide.

Heb12:15 Looking diligently lest any man FAIL OF THE GRACE OF GOD; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

What I've read from those that teach 'ES' is that ' a Christian cannot backslide and if he does, that means he wasn't a Christian in the first place'. The scripture above is a proof that a man can fail of the grace of God. Note that the book of Hebrews and other scriptures quoted from the Epistles were written to the believers and even most of the words spoken by Jesus was directed to his disciples(we are inclusive).

Also, some have positions that since our salvation is eternal, a Christian have the liberty to behave anyhow and no matter what a Christian does, he cannot lose his salvation neither can he miss heaven. Now, if what I've just written above is the true position of 'ES' teachings, I have some scriptures I'll be glad you meditate on very well even the words of Paul&Jesus. It is wrong to think that the Pauline revelations exist independently without a validation from either the words of Jesus or other Apostles.

SOME ETERNAL SECURITY TEACHINGS

1- They don't believe a Christian can go back or backslide.

Heb10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. KJV

Demas was a companion of Paul, he was saved by grace through faith without works but in 2Tim4:10, Paul made it clear that the guy went back into the world. Now, you must understand that there's a man-ward side to Christian living which is what God expects of us. The God-ward side has been done and dusted on the cross but when men fail in their own part, they can fall by the way side. Phil2:12 said we should work out our salvation with fear&trembling. That was written by Paul, and he wrote that to Christians like you and I. He wasn't suggesting that you should maintain your salvation with works because you weren't saved by works in the first place. To do what that scripture said, you just need to obey the word&Spirit. Obedience to God remains a non-negotiable aspect of our faith which I've seen some 'ES' preachers down-play.

Luke9:62- Jesus made it clear that no man having put his hand in the plough and looking back is fit for the kingdom.

To be continued...
Re: How Right Is Eternal Security? (once Saved Always Saved)pt.1- by ayoku777(m): 5:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
Up until late 2013 I also believed in the "Once saved always saved" doctrine; I even argued for it. Not until I started seeing some scriptures that contradicted that doctrine and that I couldn't argue with. Then I humbly opened my heart to the truth that salvation can be lost if you let carnality fester and degenerate into unbelief.

Here are some of the scriptures that show that salvation can be lost and that "Once saved always saved" doctrine is unscriptural.

1Timothy 4v1 - Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times SOME SHALL DEPART FROM THE FAITH, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.

See this? This wasn't just Paul talking; this was Paul saying what the Holy Spirit told him. That some will depart from the faith in the last days.

An unbeliever cannot depart from the faith because he was never in the faith. Only someone who once had faith in Christ and no longer has it, can be said to have departed from the faith.

And to depart from the faith is to lose your salvation. We are saved by grace through faith (Eph 2v8). To depart from the faith through which we are saved by grace is to lose the salvation.

You can't depart from the faith and keep the salvation. So if faith can be departed from (according to the Spirit) then salvation can be lost. Once saved is not automatic "always saved".

Another verse.

Revelation 3v5 -He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in whote raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before His angels.

This was said by Jesus himself; and He was not writing to unbelievers. This was Jesus writing through John to christians or the church in Sardis.

Jesus said; christians who overcome, He will not have their names blotted from the book of life. Meaning that christians who don't overcome will have their names blotted out.

Now; if being a christian and a member of the body of Christ automatically means you will end an overcomer; Jesus will not need to be telling christians; He that overcometh...

But Jesus kept telling all the believers and churches that same statement. It means being a christian isn't automatic that one will end an overcomer. And christians who don't end as overcomers, Jesus will blot out their names from the book of life; which is the same thing as losing eternal life.

If names written in the book of life can be blotted; then it means eternal can be lost by those who once had it. Meaning once saved is not automatic "always saved".

Another verse;

Romans 11v22 -Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be CUT OFF.

This was Paul writing to the gentile believers; warning them not to be highminded and carefree about their salvation. That if they do not continue in God's goodness by staying in the faith ...they also shall be cut off.

Meaning that the scenario of being cut off from Christ is not an impossibility. A christian can let carnality and carefree-ness degenerate into unbelief and departure from the faith. And when that happens, that christian shall be cut off from Christ.

And when one is cut off from Christ, he is no more saved.

These are some of the scriptures that disprove "Once saved always saved" doctrine and show that:

1. A christian can depart from the faith

2. Names written in the book of life can be blotted out.

3. Someone once grafted into Christ can be cut off from Him.

If all these scenarios were impossible or can never happen; scriptures will not warn us of them.

This shows in no ambiguous clarity that salvation can be lost. That "Once saved always saved" doctrine is false.

Shalom.

1 Like

Re: How Right Is Eternal Security? (once Saved Always Saved)pt.1- by ExpressBooking1: 3:25am On Apr 16, 2015
thank God for exposing the truth to his children through his word. May his grace uphold us to the very end in Jesus name,amen.

(1) (Reply)

Why Did God Create Marriage? / Not Far From The Kingdom Of God / What You Didn't Know About The Bible!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.