Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,202 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike (12353 Views)

Two Cars Collide At Airport Road, Oshodi Lagos (Photos) / Photos Of Stranded Passengers At The Airport Due To Fuel Scarcity / Nigeria's Elections: Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by sademola: 11:47am On Apr 16, 2015
hardywaltz:

Ooh no
There seems to be some picketing around the foot of the aircraft

No picketing. I guess the airline have come to realisation of the strike!
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by sademola: 11:51am On Apr 16, 2015
doofanc:

ur also at Abuja? the flights do far announced have been international ones. no local flight has left today

Local flights too boarded, in fact my Lagos bound plane was announced and I boarded, stayed in the plane for 3hrs before been asked to disembark!
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by LEXYCOM: 11:57am On Apr 16, 2015
Na the young transport sure pass
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by doofanc: 12:00pm On Apr 16, 2015
sademola:

Local flights too boarded, in fact my Lagos bound plane was announced and I boarded, stayed in the plane for 3hrs before been asked to disembark!

lolzzz!! over here in Abuja dem don dey cancel flights. arik just announced cancellation of uyo and yola route
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by damseremie(m): 12:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2259274/faan-strike

I am also stranded in Abj... since 7:30. Missed my appointment. I don confuse
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by Isamoh: 12:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
I see
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by Isamoh: 12:19pm On Apr 16, 2015
what's going to happen to passengers then ?
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by doofanc: 12:30pm On Apr 16, 2015
Dana Abuja to Lagos are about to board. arik to Lagos hss been cancelled
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by NoQualms1(f): 12:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
This is not good. It will affect too many things negatively.
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by damseremie(m): 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
We waited in our plane for 2 hours before being asked to go back to the departure lounge...

No where to sit...

Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by chingydaboss(m): 12:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
God..we nid change..

Been at d lagos airport since mawning.. my flight has been delayed...

God..........help Nigeria
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by InvertedHammer: 1:16pm On Apr 16, 2015
/
The time they were dancing shoki on top a bag of rice, where den think say the money come from?

Chidoka don use una salaries do PDP campaign for oga. Sorry I! Pennywise, poundfoolish.

/
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by sademola: 1:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
For the second time, I'm boarding for a 9:00am flight! Hope I will not be 'detained' again for another 3hrs!
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by blank(f): 2:01pm On Apr 16, 2015
Just arrived Enugu airport for my afternoon flight. I hope I get to fly today. Keeping children entertained in the airport is is not easy.
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by doofanc: 2:06pm On Apr 16, 2015
Arik just postponed my flight till 5pm!! this is ridiculous. I thought they've called off the strike?
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by blank(f): 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2015
My flight is now 5:30pm. cry

Going back home now to be back later. I must board this flight today.
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by taiwoflb: 2:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
kay1one2:

You're dreaming!
I say a limit should rather be placed on the amount of months an association can be on strike!

Not a bad Idea cause the rate of strikes in Nigeria is becoming annoying
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by chysam: 2:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
Chai.!!! And I dey inside plane now now dey run comot from South Africa. Where our plane go land now?.
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by JesusDWay(m): 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
My wife was at the Lagos Airport as well this morning and had to just stay. Fortunately, her flight wasn't cancelled but the return flight back to Lagos from Abuja for today that we had already booked with Aero Contractors was cancelled. Does anyone know what i can do about the situation? They gave a number to call but you know, its all these numbers that can sometimes take long before you get anyone to answer you. Is there any way we can reschedule the flight to tomorrow Friday, should it be their responsibility or ours? If they say available flights for tomorrow are costlier, must we be the one to pay the addition?
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by lacreamilips: 3:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
Strike has been cancelled now.
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by damseremie(m): 5:20pm On Apr 16, 2015
JesusDWay:
My wife was at the Lagos Airport as well this morning and had to just stay. Fortunately, her flight wasn't cancelled but the return flight back to Lagos from Abuja for today that we had already booked with Aero Contractors was cancelled. Does anyone know what i can do about the situation? They gave a number to call but you know, its all these numbers that can sometimes take long before you get anyone to answer you. Is there any way we can reschedule the flight to tomorrow Friday, should it be their responsibility or ours? If they say available flights for tomorrow are costlier, must we be the one to pay the addition?

If she hadn't left the airport, they would refund or reschedule at no extra cost...
It isn't her fault.
I rescheduled my flight with First Nation and my return with Aero to Monday after 9 hours at the Airport.
My First nation flight finally left at about 3:30pm (an 8:40am flight).
I couldn't go again since I had already missed my 12pm appointment.
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by oluamid(m): 8:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
Flights Disrupted, Thousands Stranded As Air Traffic Controllers Begin Warning Strike

Air traffic controllers in Nigeria, this morning, embarked on a six-hour warning strike that has led to disruption of flights in airports around the country.

According to the striking traffic controllers, the action is in preparation for a major and total industrial action which will commence on Monday, April 20, 2015, if their demands are not met by relevant government agencies.

The Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria ( ATSSSAN) said in a statement that the action became necessary following the failure of the government and the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) to address the issue of disparity in the rating allowances paid to ATCO compared to the engineers since 2011 despite pleas and assurances.

The statement reads in part: “It is worthy to note that the leadership of Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria ( ATSSSAN) with the exco of NATCA after the communique of 2014, had at various times made concerted efforts to sit down with NAMA Mgt, Federal Ministry of Aviation, top govt functionaries from the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity including National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission in resolving the vexatious issue of rating allowance paid to ATCO, while govt consolidate efforts to address other workplace issue as contained in the communique with time.

“Whereas our members are interested in ensuring industrial peace, hence the several meetings, concessions and agreements reached, it is pathetic to note that the antics of the Federal govt particularly the Honorable Minister of Aviation Chief Osita Chidoka shows clearly the lack of political will or rather no interest to implement agreement so as to appreciate the efforts of all stakeholders especially that of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity and the National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission in averting a looming industrial crises in the aviation sector.

“It is against this background of no action plan and political will to implement the agreements / conclusions reached with ATSSSAN / NATCA that has necessitated this corresponding industrial action by Air Traffic Controllers in Nigeria. Today’s action will last for six ( 6 ) hours only as a warning sign but in preparation for a major and total industrial action which shall commence on Monday 20th April, 2015 if relevant govt bodies continue to treat ATC issues with utmost levity and or neglect.”

Meanwhile, passengers are still unsure when flight activities will return to normal.

According to a passenger who was scheduled for the 8:40AM First Nation flight to Lagos from Abuja at the Nnamzi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja, two flights were offloaded after passengers had already boarded.

“We are still grounded (at 11AM). Since two Aero flights moved, no other flights have. I am in First Nation and a Medview flight loaded too and has been beside us since. It’s been an hour and 30 minutes. The worst bit is I am supposed to return today by 6p.m. but only God knows if that flight will still happen at this rate,” he said.

When contacted by AVIATION PLATFORM NEWS correspondent, Head of NAMA Public Affairs, Mrs Olajumoke Adetona, confirmed the strike action by the air traffic controllers but said that the agency is already looking into the issue with a view to coming up with a solution.

“NAMA is already looking into the issue and arrangements are being put in place to make sure passengers are able to get to their destinations. We are trying to ensure that there is free and smooth flow of air traffic,” Mrs. Adetona said.

Source : http://aviationplatformnews.com/flights-disrupted-thousands-stranded-as-air-traffic-controllers-begin-warning-strike/
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by oluamid(m): 8:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
damseremie:

If she hadn't left the airport, they would refund or reschedule at no extra cost...
It isn't her fault.
I rescheduled my flight with First Nation and my return with Aero to Monday after 9 hours at the Airport.
My First nation flight finally left at about 3:30pm (an 8:40am flight).
I couldn't go again since I had already missed my 12pm appointment.

Check my previous post. You were quoted in the story.
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by therealesttin(m): 9:16pm On Apr 16, 2015
Still at Abuja waiting to board a 6pm flight at 9.20pm and its still not sure that we will board. Na wa o. I for carry bed and pillow come o
Re: Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike by blank(f): 12:22am On Apr 17, 2015
therealesttin:
Still at Abuja waiting to board a 6pm flight at 9.20pm and its still not sure that we will board. Na wa o. I for carry bed and pillow come o

Pele. I don dey Lagos. My flight left at to 6. Thank God for journey mercies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Arik Airline Resumes Operations After Temporary Suspension / The Causes Of The Enugu And Kogi Road Accidents - FRSC / I Wan Enter Kuwait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.