Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,063 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal - Satellite TV Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal (18384 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Ralphlauren(m): 5:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
Shollypopzz:

Hmm....You have a good taste in TV Shows. Did you watch House of Cards too??

What tv shows are you watching now apart from GOT?

Thanks for the compliment grin grin grin

Not yet @ house of cards. Although, everyone around me has been raving about it.

I did start watching it December last year but I switched off after 10mins as I found the plot boring. I said that to a few friends and I was nearly pounced on grin grin

I will watch it sha. At least before the end of this year. Hmmmm. I might just start again tonight grin

I have been watching America Horror Story and I have just finished Season 1. I found it really, really dark. Not scary but dark. The writers have got a very twisted and sick mind. Heck! I'm a horror movie fan but there's just something not right about that series. I couldn't bring myself to watch Season 2.

What series have you been watching?
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Ilekeh(f): 5:32pm On Apr 16, 2015
Justfollowit:

You should watch Empire wink

I don't like doing what everyone does. lol

Ralphlauren:

I think Game of Thrones is available on amazon prime UK. I'm not sure though but I think I saw an ad on TV about it.
I agree. Amazon Prime is wayyyyy better. They've got truly HD movies. I found the quality of some of the movies and seasons on netflix pretty crap.
I will be porting back soon to amazon prime.

GOT is not on Amazon Prime cry
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Ralphlauren(m): 5:36pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ilekeh:

GOT is not on Amazon Prime cry

That's sad.

It's possible it's available for UK subscribers and not US.

I'm told netflix US has got more content than netflix UK and I have friends that use VPN and all sorts to subscribe to netflix US from the UK.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
Shollypopzz:
He has one of my favorite TEDX speeches. He is an inspiration to all entrepreneurs wanna-be! cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8WmQIFpjqc

Totally agree. Saw that speech last year and was blown away.. I'm not that sold by his business moves though. How many subscribers does iroko tv have? ill be surprised if they can boast of more than a hundred thousand paying subscribers worldwide. And that's a shame, which is by no means his fault. I just think we are not yet ripe for that model of business yet.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 5:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
With which internet?
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Raiders: 5:50pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ralphlauren:
He should keep the nollywood rubbish off netflix abeg. angry

He shouldn't approach amazon prime instant either.

It will only diminish both brands as they are both paid subscription and it shouldn't be flooded with junk.

We are happy with the way netflix is bikonu!

If we need to watch his nollywood rubbish - we will go to youtube grin grin after all, it's free there grin
I agree with you. There are millions of free nollywood movie on YouTube. I wonder why anyone will want to pay subscription to watch Nigeria movies when you can get it free on YouTube
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Thanks for the compliment grin grin grin

Not yet @ house of cards. Although, everyone around me has been raving about it.

I did start watching it December last year but I switched off after 10mins as I found the plot boring. I said that to a few friends and I was nearly pounced on grin grin

I will watch it sha. At least before the end of this year. Hmmmm. I might just start again tonight grin

I have been watching America Horror Story and I have just finished Season 1. I found it really, really dark. Not scary but dark. The writers have got a very twisted and sick mind. Heck! I'm a horror movie fan but there's just something not right about that series. I couldn't bring myself to watch Season 2.

What series have you been watching?

I was about to pounce on you too, till I read about your friends. Do not make me withdraw my compliment angry

If you could watch breaking bad, I'm sure you can watch HOC. I was into HOC from the 1st minute, Frank's little soliloquies had me immediately.

I do not watch American Horror stories, I'm not good with horror.

Shows I watched late last year/this year:
Banshee. (Had a great start, Season 3 has been sh1t though)
Sons of Anarchy. (It's final season was sh1t too but it was a good show for a long time)
Vikings {You need to watch this. I was very skeptic at first that History channel would not have the funds to pull it off but it has been a pretty darn good show)
Hannibal (New season in summer)
Walking Dead
Better call Saul
I did watch Empire; I was scared my black card would be revoked if I didn't. grin

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ralphlauren:

I'm told netflix US has got more content than netflix UK and I have friends that use VPN and all sorts to subscribe to netflix US from the UK.

LMAO! This is so funny because we think y'all have the good content. We do the same thing too to access UK netflix......I guess the grass is always greener on the other side grin grin

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
Horayce:

Totally agree. Saw that speech last year and was blown away.. I'm not that sold by his business moves though. How many subscribers does iroko tv have? ill be surprised if they can boast of more than a hundred thousand paying subscribers worldwide. And that's a shame, which is by no means his fault. I just think we are not yet ripe for that model of business yet.

I am a paying subscriber, though I hardly watch the movies. I support any Nigerian trying to do something good in Nigeria. I am not sure why you think it's a bad business move on his part when we're not even aware of the contract terms.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by guardian09(m): 6:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
Noticed the Nigerian movies on Netflix during the weekend...Nice move.

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 16, 2015
guardian09:
Noticed the Nigerian movies on Netflix during the weekend...Nice move.

You did? Which one? I hope you don't mean "Half of a Yellow Sun" because that's not a Nollywood movie.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by manny4life(m): 6:19pm On Apr 16, 2015
Justfollowit:

You should watch Empire wink

I am HOOKED... smiley
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Orikinla(m): 6:20pm On Apr 16, 2015
Jason Njoku has seen the big picture of the future of motion picture and the big picture is getting larger.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ilekeh:

(

I understand but try and watch just one episode, you surely will be hooked.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by guardian09(m): 6:29pm On Apr 16, 2015
Shollypopzz:

You did? Which one? I hope you don't mean "Half of a Yellow Sun" because that's not a Nollywood movie.
Check the images below all on netflix or are they not Nollywood movies? Except " The Crucible"

2 Likes

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 16, 2015
guardian09:

Check the images below all on netflix or are they not Nollywood movies?

Holy mother of God!! You are right! This is kinda cool. Couldn't find an African/Nollywood subcategory but I typed some of the names of the movies you posted and voila!!

Yay for Nigeria. It's about time our movies start getting international attention. *B1tch whet??* Proudly Naija! cool cool
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by guardian09(m): 6:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
Shollypopzz:

Holy mother of God!! You are right! This is kinda cool. Couldn't find an African/Nollywood subcategory but I typed some of the names of the movies you posted and voila!!

Yay for Nigeria. It's about time our movies start getting international attention. *B1tch whet??* Proudly Naija! cool cool

Yeah I will agree with you on the category thing. It showed up as just added movies for me on sunday. I was so happy till I watched "Forgetting June" ...still could not understand the end, at some point the movie was just dragging on and left me with so many unanswered questions. It just reminded me why I am so not into Nollywood movies...not denying the fact that there are good ones.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by olurotimi1: 6:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
youmour:
With which internet?
I wonder o. The best bet is to create a special broadband company bundled with iroko TV. So we can enjoy fully, not this limited and slow internet data we have. grin
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by guardian09(m): 6:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
olurotimi1:

I wonder o. The best bet is to create a special broadband company bundled with iroko TV. So we can enjoy fully, not this limited and slow internet data we have. grin
You would make a good Business Analyst/Strategist. That could serve as a company's business model.

2 Likes

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
guardian09:

Yeah I will agree with you on the category thing. It showed up as just added movies for me on sunday. I was so happy till I watched "Forgetting June" ...still could not understand the end, at some point the movie was just dragging on and left me with so many unanswered questions. It just reminded me why I am so not into Nollywood movies...not deny the fact that there are good ones.

You don't have to lie to me, I know Nollywood is crap wink
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by DonaldYusuf(m): 6:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
I just like this guy, Jason Njoku. He is one of the few Nigerian "Netpreneurs" that i respect so much.

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by CriticalThought: 7:09pm On Apr 16, 2015
manny4life:
Good deal, at least it will make Netflix offer African selection on their platform but IMO, Netflix is gradually dying off. They no longer have current movies... This is not the Netflix I knew when they started and they are facing stiff competition from RedBox (My baby).

Stiff competition from red box, please park well. Netflix has moved into the original content space, It will continue to keep them relevant for years to come and given the way consumers want their content(on demand A la Carte). They are a bit ahead of the game. Sure they might not have the most current but what they do have speaks for itself. The original content shows speak for themselves e.g House of Cards, Orange is the new black, Daredevil, Peaky Blinders etc

In as much as it is a win for IROKOtv, this also means Netflix can now garner the African consumersand that is a space that is still not tapped. Nevertheless it is a win for those in diaspora
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 16, 2015
manny4life:
Good deal, at least it will make Netflix offer African selection on their platform but IMO, Netflix is gradually dying off. They no longer have current movies... This is not the Netflix I knew when they started and they are facing stiff competition from RedBox (My baby).
Lol. I and redbox are like siblings.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by abbasbo003(m): 8:50pm On Apr 16, 2015
Bad markets for Netflix
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
Shollypopzz:

I am a paying subscriber, though I hardly watch the movies. I support any Nigerian trying to do something good in Nigeria. I am not sure why you think it's a bad business move on his part when we're not even aware of the contract terms.
You don't need to see the underlying terms of the contract to know the business has a very low upside. The technology is not there yet ( affordable broadband). Do we have 7 - 10 million Nigerians paying 1000-3000 naira a month to stream 50 -100gig in content a month? Not for the foreseeable future at least. How will he break dstv's grip on the home entertainment market? That's were his market is. He needs to come up with blockbuster entertainment offerings that can rival what people get on dstv(big brother Africa for example) to sway the market, otherwise he can't compete on anything else. Regardless, I'm hoping he wins but I don't like the odds at all, if I were half the man he is id be investing in something else.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by manny4life(m): 9:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
CriticalThought:

Stiff competition from red box, please park well. Netflix has moved into the original content space, It will continue to keep them relevant for years to come and given the way consumers want their content(on demand A la Carte). They are a bit ahead of the game. Sure they might not have the most current but what they do have speaks for itself. The original content shows speak for themselves e.g House of Cards, Orange is the new black, Daredevil, Peaky Blinders etc

In as much as it is a win for IROKOtv, this also means Netflix can now garner the African consumersand that is a space that is still not tapped. Nevertheless it is a win for those in diaspora

Lol, why you hating on my comment?
Before you spread false information any further, let's get one thing straight. Did you say Netflix has moved into the original content space? Lmao... This shows that you have no idea of what Netflix is, let alone their model. Bros, Netflix is nothing but a media streaming / dvd rental service. They are not even distributors let alone original content providers... What Ganja are you smoking?

If at all we are to talk about Original Content, that's strictly for cable and channel providers... Netflix is only but service used to deliver the content.

Lol at On-demand A la Carte... Is Netflix the only service to provide On-demand? undecided undecided

Bros, even my Cable provider (Comcast), the LARGEST Network, has On-Demand... So kini big deal about On-Demand? Cable providers such as Dish, Comcast, DirecTv, and all of them have On-Demand. In fact, depending on your subscription, you get HBO, Starz, and other movie streaming service. So I ask again, what's different from Netflix?

Did you say they are ahead of the game? How so? When you can't negotiate for current titles and release, please tell me how you're ahead of the game?

Everyone who's a Netflix subscriber can attest to the fact that Netflix has been losing it lately. After they split their service, it became worse than before. Granted they have improved on media delivery infrastructure, but what's the point if you have titles from the 1600's ? embarassed

Lol... These are shows a DVR can record. With my subscription, I don't need Netflix. For instance, HBO's Game of Thrones comes with my Comcast Subscription. This is made NEXT DAY, not a week later, NOT a month later, but same day. Abegi, when it comes to shows, leave that niche to the cable providers because they make it instantly available after showing. Netflix CANNOT compete on that front. NETFLIX competes with movies because it's more so distribution right, but heck, they ain't doing better either. RedBox has a better selection than Netflix in terms of disc rental. Netflix cannot compete with Redbox on this and you know it. Ask anyone who has used or using both service.

The only good that comes out of this deal is that Netflix will offer a selection of African Titles, NOTHING MORE.

I make no apologies when I say Netflix has lost it's old glory... I am happy they partnered with IROKO Tv because Netflix is faced with multiple competitors and a little twist might just work a magic.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by manny4life(m): 9:16pm On Apr 16, 2015
CFCfan:

Lol. I and redbox are like siblings.

Can you imagine... Redbox that is loved by ALL, being compared to Netflix dvd rental.

Biko, I love RedBox, ANYTIME ANY DAY. grin
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Besto(m): 9:43pm On Apr 16, 2015
folabayo1:
Yes we are goin to places and the sky is just the begining
Change Everywhere
God bless nigeria
God bless our general

wetin cosign general wit dz 1
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Baroba(m): 10:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
Nice move Jason, though I doubt how many people can afford to stream movies online, internet connectivity is very expensive..

Iroko please can you add Chromecast support to your player, not everybody likes watching movie on tiny PC screens..
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Curlieweed: 10:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
mmsen:
Will this compel these film makers to make better movies with more mature and sophisticated content or will they continue making the same crap loaded with superstitious nonsense?

I think it will, scratch that, IrokoTV is already having a positive impact on Nollywood production values. Economics has always driven quality and the idea of producing to sell just 10k copies wasn't wonderful for quality. Stumbled on a Kunle Afolayan movie on Netflix called October 1. It was good.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by folabayo1(f): 11:00pm On Apr 16, 2015
Besto:

wetin cosign general wit dz 1
ask google undecided
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Dyoungstar: 11:20pm On Apr 16, 2015
prof800:
Good news.

Now there is a wider audience for African content providers. wink

Your head dey there.

Make we hookup nau.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Use Redcam And How Redcam Works / Whats Happening,??? No Startime Bt My TV Showing DTV Channels Bt Not Displaying / Star Tv Dth Up To 40 Channels Without Dish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.