Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings (931 Views)

Omg! Largest Family In Britain Expecting Their 20th Child In December. / (Just Be Yourself!): A Must Watch Spoken-word Video / Common Phrases You Should Never Say To Your Kids That Can Ruin Their Lives. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings by Hila12(m): 10:43am On Apr 18, 2015
Hello, I'm a Nigerian(proud) who's been privileged some time overseas, especially the UK where I've lived a while studying the British Language and Culture in general.

If you intend visiting the UK, there are common informal words/phrases spoken by the British that might sound somewhat strange to you - but no worries, here are some meanings below:

Are you alright? - it's a popular greeting that means 'Are you okay?'. Common responses are Yes I'm alright, you? or Not bad at all, how about you?

*Note: They don't mean you are insane or anything by the question.

Hey Mate! - 'mate' means friend/pal in Britain. So this means 'Hello Friend'.

*Note: They don't mean you are their age mates, hence you shouldn't be offended by this. It's just their friendly way of saying hello.

What do you reckon? - reckon means 'think' in this context. They actually mean 'What do you think?'

*Note: However, Do you reckon a trip to Nigeria means 'Do you fancy a trip to Nigeria'

Be in my office about half-twelve - would mean 'Be in my office half past twelve (12:30) '

*Note: Half-three means 3:30 and so on.

Do you fancy the South African lecturer? - would mean 'Do you like the South African lecturer?'

*Note: 'Fancy' here could also mean 'Are you attracted to the South African lecturer?'

Can you spare a ffag please? - ffag implies 'cigarette'. This would mean 'Can you spare a cigarette'

Take out the rubbish - would mean 'Take out the trash/waste bin'

Can I have a cuppa - 'cuppa' means a cup of tea/coffee.

I'm in a flight tomorrow - would mean 'My flight is tomorrow'

Don't take the piss out of me - 'Don't take advantage of me'

There are many popular phrases and idioms used in Britain, but will leave it here for now.

Do you know any?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings by MrMann1(m): 10:51am On Apr 18, 2015
It does not sound completely strange. Even a kid would easily decipher those phrases.

2 Likes

Re: Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings by phabuloz(m): 10:51am On Apr 18, 2015
You're right, have heard couple of it in movies

1 Like

Re: Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings by phabuloz(m): 10:52am On Apr 18, 2015
You're right, have heard couple of it in movies,but it's informal
Re: Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings by Hila12(m): 10:55am On Apr 18, 2015
MrMann1:
It does not sound completely strange. Even a kid would easily decipher those phrases.
Yeah kinda true, but to few others who don't.
Re: Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 18, 2015
I want celtic phrases, and I want them now. Give me celtic phrases right now!

1 Like

Re: Popular Phrases Spoken In Britain And Their Meanings by Hila12(m): 11:07am On Apr 18, 2015
RickRichards:
I want celtic phrases, and I want them now. Give me celtic phrases right now!

Haha be easy mate. Feel free teaching us if you know some.

(1) (Reply)

The National I'd Card / Is It Wrong To Sit Beside Your "Ex" In Church ? / Never Be In A Hurry To Tell People Your Problem (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.