Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:44 AM

Acca or Ican - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Acca or Ican (5960 Views)

Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? / Should I Put In For ACCA Or ICAN??? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acca or Ican by Ymodulus: 10:46am On Apr 19, 2015
ACCA / ican
Re: Acca or Ican by Chartey(m): 10:59am On Apr 19, 2015
Hope you'll pay Jarus for consultancy? His services don't come cheap.
Re: Acca or Ican by Nobody: 11:04am On Apr 19, 2015
1, Since you're beginning to like accounting, I will advise you go for accounting professional exams. ICAN and ACCA are both OK. ACCA is more expensive and has international recognition. I however have a personal bias toward ICAN.

2, I won't advise you to go for ICAN if it is not OK. But which is better? I don't know. Again, I have a personal bias toward ICAN.

3, If age is on your side (i.e below 23) and you can afford it or can get a funding, there is nothing bad in going for Masters immediately. But in what course are you interested in pursuing Masters in?

Bonus: Since you have made up your mind to pursue a finance/accounting career, start applying for professional services firms (PwC, KPMG, Deloitte, EY etc).

Thankfully all they need to invite you for test is first degree in any subject (including QS), 2.1 minimum, and below 25 for most of them. They don't need ICAN or ACCA to give you job if you do well in their test and interviews. But having that you're an ICAN student on your CV shows you already have interest in their field.

They're good training ground for many accounting/finance professional who did not study accounting.

Group CFO of Oando studied an engineering course and got his training in Oando. He's a finance guru today.

Thousands of them like that.

1 Like

Re: Acca or Ican by Ymodulus: 11:05am On Apr 19, 2015
Jarus:
Kh.

Sir
Re: Acca or Ican by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 19, 2015
Ymodulus:

Sir

Modifying something. Just booked space with that
Re: Acca or Ican by Ymodulus: 11:53am On Apr 19, 2015
Jarus:

Modifying something. Just booked space with that

OK.
Re: Acca or Ican by benebaby77: 6:19pm On Apr 19, 2015
Interesting to see you are taking fancy to accounting/finance. However, both of accounting professional body are good but I may seem bias in my discussion. Since that you are likely to work in Nigeria, ICAN will be a best choice for you.

***ICAN will enable you to know and understand more about accounting practices/ethics in Nigeria which ACCA may not furnish you with.

***ACCA have higher international recognition than ICAN, but ICAN are gaining more ground and approval in international space.

***You can go for ACCA if you prefer it to ICAN as the finance won't be a problem to you. It is evident that you could finance it by yourself.

***You can write ICAN exams anywhere in 36 states and FCT inclusive regardless of state you do your registration. And some states like Kaduna have wto centres, one in Kaduna and other in Zaria(Abu, Kongo campus). I think ACCA exam is written in only Lagos.

***If you decide to get either, you can get another by registering and applying for exemption. For instance if you hold ACCA certificate, you can register for ICAN and get exempted for all papers except two. On the other hands, if you hold ICAN, you can register for ACCA and apply for exemption. Unlike ICAN, you will be required to write 6 papers to get ACCA certificate.

***ICAN has recently signed a lingering MOU with Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria(CITN). The MOU states that once you have completed all necessary ICAN stages and get chartered, you can apply for CITN and get their certificate without writing any exam.

***Another MOU from ICAN is ongoing with Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales(ICAEW) which reads that once you complete your ICAN you can also apply for ICAEW certificate without writing any papers. The ICAEW certificate will give you international recognition.

***You appear to be more than 26 years of age and as such it's not advisable to go for master's program. You can be doing part-time program while working. This is because most employers prefer employing young graduates who are in their early 20s to mid 20s . And I have adduced over years by dint of reading career articles or blog like jraushub.com and the likes, the professional certificate will give an edge over Master's degree.

I hope more career experts will career down over here to give you more career advice.

4 Likes

Re: Acca or Ican by Itzlinda(f): 11:34pm On Apr 19, 2015
Jarus:
1, Since you're beginning to like accounting, I will advise you go for accounting professional exams. ICAN and ACCA are both OK. ACCA is more expensive and has international recognition. I however have a personal bias toward ICAN.

2, I won't advise you to go for ICAN if it is not OK. But which is better? I don't know. Again, I have a personal bias toward ICAN.

3, If age is on your side (i.e below 23) and you can afford it or can get a funding, there is nothing bad in going for Masters immediately. But in what course are you interested in pursuing Masters in?

Bonus: Since you have made up your mind to pursue a finance/accounting career, start applying for professional services firms (PwC, KPMG, Deloitte, EY etc).

Thankfully all they need to invite you for test is first degree in any subject (including QS), 2.1 minimum, and below 25 for most of them. They don't need ICAN or ACCA to give you job if you do well in their test and interviews. But having that you're an ICAN student on your CV shows you already have interest in their field.

They're good training ground for many accounting/finance professional who did not study accounting.

Group CFO of Oando studied an engineering course and got his training in Oando. He's a finance guru today.

Jarus would you advised someone with second class lower in quantity survey to follow same route with the op?
Re: Acca or Ican by Ymodulus: 11:59pm On Apr 19, 2015
benebaby77:
Interesting to see you taking fancy to accounting/finance. However, both of accounting professional body are good but I may seem bias. Since that you are likely to work in Nigeria, ICAN will be a best choice for you.

ICAN will enable you to know and understand more about accounting practices/ethics in Nigeria which ACCA may not furnish you with.

ACCA have higher international recognition over ICAN, but ICAN are gaining more ground and approval in international space.

You can go for ACCA if you prefer it to ICAN as their won't be a problem to you. You could finance it by yourself.

You can write ICAN exams anywhere in 36 states and FCT regardless of state you do your registration. And some states like Kaduna have wto centres, one in Kaduna and other in Zaria(Abu, Kongo campus). I think ACCA exam is written in Lagos only.

If you decide to get either, you can get another by registering and applying for exemption. For instance if you hold ACCA certificate, you can register for ICAN and get exempted for all papers except two. On the other hands, if you hold ICAN, you can register for ACCA and apply for exemption. Unlike ICAN, you will be required to write 6 papers to get ACCA certificate.

ICAN has recently signed a lingering MOU with Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria(CITN). The MOU states that once you have completed all necessary ICAN stages and get chartered, you can apply for CITN and get their certificate without writing any exam.

Another MOU from ICAN is ongoing with Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales(ICAEW) which reads that once you complete your ICAN you can also apply for ICAEW certificate without writing any papers. The ICAEW certificate will give you an international recognition.

You appear to be more that 26 years of age and as such it's not advisable to go master's program. You can doing be part-time program while working. This is because most employers prefer employing young graduates who are in their mid 20s to late 20s. And I have adduced over years by dint of reading career articles or blog like jraushub.com and the likes, the professional certificate will give an edge over Master's degree.

I hope more career experts will career down over here to give you more career advice.

Thanks for the detailed post. So indepth and satisfying.

Am 21 of Age.

I think I have to go for ICAN since ACCA has ts exam center in Lagos
Re: Acca or Ican by Nobody: 6:30am On Apr 20, 2015
Itzlinda:

Jarus would you advised someone with second class lower in quantity survey to follow same route with the op?

Only that the bonus part would not be there. Those firms don't take 2.2.
Re: Acca or Ican by Itzlinda(f): 8:38pm On Apr 20, 2015
Jarus:

Only that the bonus part would not be there. Those firms don't take 2.2.

God.. Poor me. So you think I should stick with niqs exam since construction jobs are less competitive than finance ones?
Re: Acca or Ican by Ymodulus: 11:46pm On Apr 20, 2015
Itzlinda:

God.. Poor me. So you think I should stick with niqs exam since construction jobs are less competitive than finance ones?

There is no point sticking with the NIQS. Belief me its not worth it. The organisation is just plane useless and they are not ready to move forward. Till DATE THEY HAVE LESS THAN 3000 Quantity surveyors all cause of the way the org has gone about the whole NIQS Thing.

Just imagine an organisation asking you of 3 years of practise under a senior Quantity Surveyor before you can begin writing its exam. Imagine A body asking you to attend high record fee breaking seminars of up to 80k and making it a perquisite to acquiring her profession certificate. ( Note even if you attend the seminars now the points wont start counting till two years after practice under a senior quantity surveyor or you must have written Test of professional confidence).

Also note once you get the NIQS Certificate, you cant practice anywhere outside Nigeria, not even in Ghana.

The organisation is still not ready to sign MOU with other international bodies they rather go around decieveing themselves as future cost building accountants.

The organisation is another name for corruption, if you get affiliated with firms Like Kowa and Associates, you will see that getting an NIQS Certification is easy without stress.

Last year scandal where two kowa staffs were given certficate and the organisation mobbed it up.

Even the first Professor of Quantity Surveying in Africa ( Prof. T. C Mogbo) , he his just a member of the NIQS and not even a fellow. Mogbo however is a fellow of the royal institute.

I will advice you that if you are interested in this certification , then go for the RICS and RICS Alone, its around 200Pounds and you wriete your exams online, simple no stress it also gies you recognition. I think RICS is affiliated with Readings Uni.( Cant really recall which).

The NIQS still have a long way to go. I just wished the body had allowed El -Rufai suggestions to be implemented. But no they never wanted it. They believe he his an RICS Member.

Dear go get the RICS, With that you are automatically qualified to practise anywhere. Even in nigeria.

But NIQS is a no no. i dont mean to kill your interest just my own view and i believe 99% its the truth

2 Likes

Re: Acca or Ican by benebaby77: 12:09pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ymodulus:

Thanks for the detailed post. So indepth and satisfying.

Am 21 of Age.

I think I have to go for ICAN since ACCA has ts exam center in Lagos

At the emboldened sentence... wow you are so Young, bro. I'm just 15 years ooo.

Since you have made up your mind to go ICAN in lieu of ACCA, I think it's paramount you download their syllabus. It contains every information you need about registration and exemption. you can get it at their official site www.icanig.org; and other information you may need to know, ask Sir Jaru and co.

To know more about their exam and exemption fees, goto www.icanexamsonline.org

Wish you the best in your career
Re: Acca or Ican by benebaby77: 12:29pm On Apr 21, 2015
Itzlinda:

Ymodulus, has given you enough information if you want to pursue your career in your major.

However, if you would like to change your career or pursue it in accounting/finance, you can still go for ICAN and other accounting professional body. Not being employed in the listed accounting/auditing companies put forward by Sir Jarus doesn't imply that you cannot get employed to work as an accountant or financial analyst else.

Your class of degree doesn't stop you from getting job as a certified accountant but it may only limit you your chance.

I don't know much about their companies sha, but I believe if you can't get job at those companies as a fresh graduate you can later work there as an experienced accountant.

Don't let your class of degree be a constrain to your ambitions/dream
Re: Acca or Ican by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 21, 2015
benebaby77:

Ymodulus, has given you enough information if you want to pursue your career in your major.

However, if you would like to change your career or pursue it in accounting/finance, you can still go for ICAN and other accounting professional body. Not being employed in the listed accounting/auditing companies put forward by Sir Jarus doesn't imply that you cannot get work as an accountant or financial analyst else.

Your class of degree doesn't stop you from getting job as a certified accountant but it may only limit you your chance.

I don't know much about their companies sha, but I believe if you can't get job at those companies as a fresh graduate you can later work there as an experienced accountant.

Don't let your class of degree be a constrain to your ambitions/dream

Thanks for helping me explain.

There are 1001 other firms you can apply to.

1 Like

Re: Acca or Ican by Itzlinda(f): 3:12pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:

There is no point sticking with the NIQS. Belief me its not worth it. The organisation is just plane useless and they are not ready to move forward. Till DATE THEY HAVE LESS THAN 3000 Quantity surveyors all cause of the way the org has gone about the whole NIQS Thing.

Just imagine an organisation asking you of 3 years of practise under a senior Quantity Surveyor before you can begin writing its exam. Imagine A body asking you to attend high record fee breaking seminars of up to 80k and making it a perquisite to acquiring her profession certificate. ( Note even if you attend the seminars now the points wont start counting till two years after practice under a senior quantity surveyor or you must have written Test of professional confidence).

Also note once you get the NIQS Certificate, you cant practice anywhere outside Nigeria, not even in Ghana.

The organisation is still not ready to sign MOU with other international bodies they rather go around decieveing themselves as future cost building accountants.

The organisation is another name for corruption, if you get affiliated with firms Like Kowa and Associates, you will see that getting an NIQS Certification is easy without stress.

Last year scandal where two kowa staffs were given certficate and the organisation mobbed it up.

Even the first Professor of Quantity Surveying in Africa ( Prof. T. C Mogbo) , he his just a member of the NIQS and not even a fellow. Mogbo however is a fellow of the royal institute.

I will advice you that if you are interested in this certification , then go for the RICS and RICS Alone, its around 200Pounds and you wriete your exams online, simple no stress it also gies you recognition. I think RICS is affiliated with Readings Uni.( Cant really recall which).

The NIQS still have a long way to go. I just wished the body had allowed El -Rufai suggestions to be implemented. But no they never wanted it. They believe he his an RICS Member.

Dear go get the RICS, With that you are automatically qualified to practise anywhere. Even in nigeria.

But NIQS is a no no. i dont mean to kill your interest just my own view and i believe 99% its the truth

Thanks. It seems you know a lot about quantity survey in Nigeria
Re: Acca or Ican by Ymodulus: 6:34am On Apr 25, 2015
Itzlinda:

Thanks. It seems you know a lot about quantity survey in Nigeria
You welcome.

@last statement. Yeah I do
Re: Acca or Ican by danthamccoy(m): 10:34am On Apr 26, 2015
Re: Acca or Ican by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 26, 2015
Looks like you already have a direction. But will having the ICAN certification alone be enough for the career change you desire?
Re: Acca or Ican by Ymodulus: 2:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
engrkenny:
Looks like you already have a direction. But will having the ICAN certification alone be enough for the career change you desire?
What do you mean? Care to explain?
Re: Acca or Ican by Nobody: 3:09pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ymodulus:

What do you mean? Care to explain?

Since u didn't start out with accountancy, I don't know how it works, am asking if writing the exams automatically makes one an accountant?
Re: Acca or Ican by iamwrong(m): 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2015
engrkenny:

Since u didn't start out with accountancy, I don't know how it works, am asking if writing the exams automatically makes one an accountant?

No it doesn't, writing the exam alone is just part of the process. Before you become fully chartered, apart from completing and passing all the exams, you have to have at least 2 years working (I think ican) for Acca you have to have 3 years solid documented practical working experience before you can fully be called a qualified chartered accountant.

Ymodulus I know you quite personally you seem to frequent abuja and other parts of the north, I suggest you look at acca exams centre too apart from lagos for ease of access and population stress reduction. But if lagos is ur base no problem then.

@itzlinda I suggest if you want to break in the accounting field try looking out for small audit firms most of them will be happy to employ you without pay so far the experience and exposure is relevant and in line with the accountancy profession leading to your chartered accountant designation. I believe after that with your 2.2 backed up with chartered accountant qualification and experience you can get better prospects career wise and depending on how you go about it as well.

I myself have a 2.2 with a full time job and at the same time working part time as an acca student accountant in abuja here with no pay and I can tell you it's rewarding. Tho its a tedious process and you need discipline and commitment on your part to pull through.

Cheers.
Re: Acca or Ican by iamwrong(m): 2:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
@Jarus thanks to your posts and website.... I was able to make good career decisions especially at the last minute when I contemplated going for masters without any work experience like most of my mates. Today it's getting clearer by the day why experience and qualifications matters more than masters degrees of recent, amongst so many other career issues for fresh graduates and job seekers.

Thank you for insights sir..

1 Like

Re: Acca or Ican by phredbongg(m): 2:37am On Jul 16, 2015
Jarus:

I registered as a student of ICAN since 2004 but did not write any exam after failing the ATS1 stage back then. Now I'm almost an affiliate of the ACCA as I'm awaiting the result of my final exams. Can I get ICAN membership with my ACCA status and is it necessary?

Secondly, I would like to write the CITN exams to update my knowledge on the Nigerian tax system...will I get substantial exemptions with my ACCA status and if so, how many papers do I get to write?

Thirdly, just by the way, I get the impression ICAN is far tougher than the ACCA based on the numerous comments I read on Nairaland about ICAN exams...am I right to deduce this?

Thanks.
Re: Acca or Ican by accavideoslsbf: 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2016
p

(1) (Reply)

From A Heart That Loves Oceanic Bank / MTN Call Centre Staff In Jos Protest Suspension Of Colleagues / Urgent!!pls Advice Me On Benek Engineering School Of Welding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.