Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,970 members, 7,825,034 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Mtn Tv Commercial 'mama Na Boy' Is Gender Sensitive. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Mtn Tv Commercial 'mama Na Boy' Is Gender Sensitive. (4776 Views)

Photos From MTV Mama Awards 2015 / Nigerian Commercial Adverts Of 80's And 90's / The Worst And The Best Tv Commercial Adverts I'd Ever Seen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn Tv Commercial 'mama Na Boy' Is Gender Sensitive. by anyida: 1:58am On Jan 31, 2009
MTN TV commercial 'Mama na boy' is gender sensitive.
i was thinking of the commercial and although it was rightly critisized, the truth is that it actually gives a true picture of the discrimination against the female child that still exist in Nigeria and parts of Africa.
Re: Mtn Tv Commercial 'mama Na Boy' Is Gender Sensitive. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 01, 2009
yes i agree, my question to the ad was, "if na girl nko?" its gender imbalance
Re: Mtn Tv Commercial 'mama Na Boy' Is Gender Sensitive. by zaragoza(m): 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2009
@Poster
Please can you explain why/how it is gender sensitive.
Re: Mtn Tv Commercial 'mama Na Boy' Is Gender Sensitive. by anyida: 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2009
Firtstly,that statement 'mama na boy' suggests that they had been waiting for the birth to confirm what sex the child is and giving the news in that manner indicates that, they were all hoping for a boy.Then the drama that followed just confirms it. Secondly,the fact that it's even his mother or mother- in- law he is talking to(a woman)and her reaction to the news gives us the impression that she actually prefers a male child .One would expect that being a woman she should be excited to embrace her "fellow" female equally.Am sure if u look closely, there were women amongst the those jubillating.The irony of it all is that some of us accuse African men of being gender sensitive when we ourselves are.
Re: Mtn Tv Commercial 'mama Na Boy' Is Gender Sensitive. by zaragoza(m): 10:50pm On Feb 01, 2009
Com'on this is a 50-50 situation. It could be "mama na boy or mama na girl". Is there anything wrong for them to be xpectin a male child peradventure they might have had several female child, moreso what is wrong for a female to celebrate the birth of a male child. I bet u had it been the other way round, this issue of gender sensitivity wouldnt have arisen. Personally i dont see anything wrong in the advert and your reply failed to convince me as well.

(1) (Reply)

Winners Of The 2011 Golden Globe Awards / Exposed! Meet The Person Behind Bbnaija Biggie’s Voice [photos] / List Your Tv Series That You Wished Were Not Cancelled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.