Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. (791 Views)

10 Habits That Damage Your Teeth That You Innocently Practice (must See) / See The Damage Fulani Herdsmen Did To A Community In Enugu – Graphic Photos / Top-6 Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by DesChyko: 9:20pm On Apr 20, 2015
If no one was intending to address this issue, perhaps we should get it over and done with. It is difficult to be precise in talking about this without being derogatory to the affected person(s), myself included, but I'll try to maintain civility.

If there's anything I could notice about Nairaland in the seven years I've been an active follower of this forum, it is the decrease of quality original content and the increase of 'juvenile tendencies' in this forum.

'Age' they say, 'is not maturity', but if you really assess the predominantly insulting nature of the 'new crop' of Nairalanders, you must be forced to really weigh the real influence of age in the decision making of individuals. Experience is the best teacher, and that is something that gets better with age.

I've tried selling Nairaland as a site to get updated on information to people within the age range of 25-60 and I must say their feedback is not at all encouraging. After viewing the 'comments' of Nairalanders, only few of those within the lower age-grade (20s) appreciated the comments by the 'Nairalanders' under each post as being funny/entertaining. Majority dismissed the insulting banters as childish and were thus, not interested in associating credibility with this forum.

We can certainly learn from our peers and 'younger ones' but taking away the knowledge and experience of those whom have seen more years than we have will make a charade of any attempt at learning in both formal and informal settings. We can't expect professionals and veterans in all walks of life to spend their time playing 'nannies' or spectators' over feuding inexperienced individuals where their professional opinion would have been of great benefits.

Perhaps, I should be particular, there is this thread on frontpage where a nairalander hinted at the unfeasibility of campaign promises of the president-elect, citing challenges and deficits with detailed figures and explanations. I myself, having been a critic of an identical modus operandi employed by the Imo State governor for almost three years now was looking forward to broaden my knowledge with submissions on that thread, while looking forward to present a similar criticism of the (hopefully) governor-elect methods. What did I notice instead?

The entire comments on that thread begs for professionalism. A cacophony of supports without significant buttressing and counters without commensurate detailed calculations summarised the futility of hoping to learn from the 'frontpage Nairalanders'. The only field majority of them recorded A was of course, in making sure the accompanying insults were monstrous enough to provoke a weak-willed 'Nairalander' into a battle of 'mentions' and 'battery'. The only word for this is 'PATHETIC'. Spaces and logic reserved for 'experts' were taken over by 'who-knows-whats', evidenced by their complete lack of knowledge in the discourse.

I think we need to slow down and think for a minute. Here we are crying 'foul play' at South Africa's tolerance of Xenophobia, screaming 'off with you' at the nosy US Govt, making sure our disgust at their antics were heard, but are we really qualified to do that? What image are we painting of ourselves? Knowledgeable? Tolerant? What exactly justifies our stand against their inadequacies? These abominations we call 'comments' (contributions) to matters that require in-depth knowledge? I personally think the moderators are being too lenient.

I'll leave us with two key phrases:
1. Tact is having nothing to say and saying nothing.
2. Violence (insults) is the final resolve of the incapable.

Have a nice 'night'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by mhizpeaarl(f): 9:24pm On Apr 20, 2015
And you too. Sweet dreams grin except to c many nairalanders in it sha grin
Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by shaddi(m): 9:26pm On Apr 20, 2015
DesChyko:
If no one was intending to address this issue, perhaps we should get it over and done with. It is difficult to be precise in talking about this without being derogatory to the affected person(s), myself included, but I'll try to maintain civility.
If there's anything I could notice about Nairaland in the seven years I've been an active follower of this forum, it is the decrease of quality original content and the increase of 'juvenile tendencies' in this forum.
'Age' they say, 'is not maturity', but if you really assess the predominantly insulting nature of the 'new crop' of Nairalanders, you must be forced to really weigh the real influence of age in the decision making of individuals. Experience is the best teacher, and that is something that gets better with age.
I've tried selling Nairaland as a site to get updated on information to people within the age range of 25-60 and I must say their feedback is not at all encouraging. After viewing the 'comments' of Nairalanders, only few of those within the lower age-grade (20s) appreciated the comments by the 'Nairalanders' under each post as being funny/entertaining. Majority dismissed the insulting banters as childish and were thus, not interested in associating credibility with this forum.
We can certainly learn from our peers and 'younger ones' but taking away the knowledge and experience of those whom have seen more years than we have will make a charade of any attempt at learning in both formal and informal settings. We can't expect professionals and veterans in all walks of life to spend their time playing 'nannies' or spectators' over feuding inexperienced individuals where their professional opinion would have been of great benefits.
Perhaps, I should be particular, there is this thread on frontpage where a nairalander hinted at the unfeasibility of campaign promises of the president-elect, citing challenges and deficits with detailed figures and explanations. I myself, having been a critic of an identical modus operandi employed by the Imo State governor for almost three years now was looking forward to broaden my knowledge with submissions on that thread, while looking forward to present a similar criticism of the (hopefully) governor-elect methods. What did I notice instead?
The entire comments on that thread begs for professionalism. A cacophony of supports without significant buttressing and counters without commensurate detailed calculations summarised the futility of hoping to learn from the 'frontpage Nairalanders'. The only field majority of them recorded A was of course, in making sure the accompanying insults were monstrous enough to provoke a weak-willed 'Nairalander' into a battle of 'mentions' and 'battery'. The only word for this is 'PATHETIC'. Spaces and logic reserved for 'experts' were taken over by 'who-knows-whats', evidenced by their complete lack of knowledge in the discourse.
I think we need to slow down and think for a minute. Here we are crying 'foul play' at South Africa's tolerance of Xenophobia, screaming 'off with you' at the nosy US Govt, making sure our disgust at their antics were heard, but are we really qualified to do that? What image are we painting of ourselves? Knowledgeable? Tolerant? What exactly justifies our stand against their inadequacies? These abominations we call 'comments' (contributions) to matters that require in-depth knowledge? I personally think the moderators are being too lenient.
Have a nice 'night'.
Abeg, you get anywhere to buy cold orijin this night for ur Street?? cheesy
Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by rawpadgin(m): 9:37pm On Apr 20, 2015
Nice one op
it beats my imagination how some people display their stupidity in public forums
the other day I was insulted boy a kid that's not even upto the age of my mums last child
Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by SuperSuave(m): 9:43pm On Apr 20, 2015
Nice one sir.
Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by akunjohn(m): 9:46pm On Apr 20, 2015
To cut the long story short,what you mean is that you are too old to laugh your trouble off.
I always come to nairaland to unwind after all the wahala of the day,You have to see life in a very exciting way. All the banter sometimes makes us to come here and laugh off our problems.
Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by Inkman(m): 9:51pm On Apr 20, 2015
akunjohn:
To cut the long story short,what you mean is that you are too old to laugh your trouble off.
I always come to nairaland to unwind after all the wahala of the day,You have to see life in a very exciting way. All the banter sometimes makes us to come here and laugh off our problems.
DesChyko:
Have a nice 'night'.

akunjohn:
Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 20, 2015
True talk
Re: Nairalanders, Realise The Damage You Do. by galadima77(m): 10:19pm On Apr 20, 2015
in my humble opinion, I think much of the blame lies with the mods cos I want to believe comments and topics are routed through their systems and presumably screened before we can view them.
so I think the mods are ok with what we see and read....

OP good observation though I have been a victim too

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Baby 'buried For Eight Days' In Graveyard Survives (PHOTO) / PHCN Official Electrocuted In Victoria Island This Evening (photos) / Breaking--Buhari Sacks NIMASA DG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.