Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Unveiling The Xenophobic Mask - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Unveiling The Xenophobic Mask (504 Views)

Xenophobic Attack:nigeria Provides Emergency Number For Distressed Nigeria In SA / Meet Zulu King Godwill Zwelithi Whose Remarks Launched The Xenophobic Attacks / Nigerian Car Dealership Shop Burnt Down In SA Xenophobic Violence! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unveiling The Xenophobic Mask by OGBENIIFE: 11:46pm On Apr 20, 2015
UNVEILING THE XENOPHOBIC MASK

By: ORIMOLOYE, Ifeoluwa

I am still being compelled to compose this piece which stands to go against the crimes against humanity that is currently being witnessed in South-Africa, for reasons being that my recent article on the subject matter generated rumbles from some quarters, which made me sense the need for clarity so as not to be portrayed as a racist. Shall we now say on the opposite that in recent times, xenophobia is the direct opposite of racism and so if you are not xenophobic, you must be definitely out of the South African line, and that may leave you as an ‘apartheid-philic’ or a racist! I must state here categorically that the rationale behind my writing that piece titled; "Xenophobia: A spiteful display of 'public' insanity" centered on my observation of the Xenophobic attitude that is being witnessed in South Africa, albeit consequently, I was convinced beyond reasonable doubt that the whole Xenophobic affair is simply a war against Nigerians in particular. The recent diplomatic strains between Nigeria and South Africa suggests it all, and I shall not waste time in describing the intriguing dramas in quick succession.

It all started with NIGERIA’S EMEGENCE AS AFRICA’S LARGEST ECONOMY

For many years South Africa’s grip of the African largest economy was something that could be termed as indisputable, and it must be said, if one really wants to put the crown on who it fits most, that the South Africans deserved it after all. Asides that, they seem to be the most developed in Africa, and so it all seemed that economic transactions in modern Africa rely more on their country for smooth running. But then, Nigeria overtook South Africa and took grip of the title. Believe me, the whole drama was just supposed to be as simple as that, but for the sudden circumstances surrounding it all, which invariably made it all seem like a ‘do-or-die contest. This was made manifest in the drama which seemed to be the next;

THE SEIZURE OF THE $9.3 MILLION OWNED ALLEGEDLY OWNED BY THE NIGERIAN AUTHORITIES

In the real sense, rational Nigerians went against the alleged smuggling of over 9.3 million dollars owned by the Nigerian authorities, for reasons being that, At that point in time, there was a campaign made by a Nigerian institution about the need for a cashless economy, the smuggling went totally against that policy. Also, Nigerian diplomats in South Africa were said to be oblivious of the whole issue, despite the insistence of the Nigerian authority stating that the money was meant for the purchase of arms, in our closets we all knew that the purchase of arms story was a cover-up. And at that, there was also a lingering issue over the high rate of corruption in the Africa’s most populous and largest economy, such that the smuggling story could have been validated in a way, thus, making all fingers point to the fact that it was one of the ‘stealing-is-not-corruption’ ideals of some people in government. For what it was, Nigerian leaders were to be blamed for such an issue, except for the ulterior motives displayed by the South African authority (which is not far from being diplomatic, from my perspective) in simply taking that issue too far. Then came…

…THE COLLAPSE AT SYNAGOGUE CENTRE: After the collapse which occurred on Friday, the 12th day of December, 2014, there were controversies that trailed the collapse of the church building at synagogue church of all nations. First came an account that stated that helicopters were seen hovering about that building shortly before the collapse, in fact, those accounts insisted on that submission and were determined to defend it anywhere (be it coroner), that isn’t my point of argument, but the foreigners who occupied that building, Investigation suggested, were more of South Africans. Interestingly, during the course of the evacuation of the remains to South Africa, the country were said to have deployed the team of medical workers who did the evacuation, thus ignoring completely the interference of concerned/assigned team with the Nigerian attachment. After which came…

…THE #XENOPHOBIA PHENOMENON: It all seemed to be the outcome of the silent diplomatic strain that had been going on between the Nigerian authority and the South African authority, when the South African locals began to demand for the departure of the foreigners residing in their country. Like a battle they started it all, and in all of that I could perceive the presence of resounding diplomatic voices at the background, just behind the mask of the violence, which was made manifest by the confession of some of the locals who attested that they were out to fight the Nigerian residents (residing in South Africa) in particular.

ORIMOLOYE, Ifeoluwa is the national public relations officer of the National Association of Akure Students.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Call To End Racism On US Soil / Very Neat Toyota Matrix 2009 @n1m / Very Neat Toyota Matrix 2009 @n1m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.