Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Indians And Nollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Indians And Nollywood (4793 Views)

Good News: For All Nigeria And Nollywood Movie Watchers. / Why Dont Indians Kiss In Bollywood / India Is Begging For Collaboration Between Bollywood And Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indians And Nollywood by Ihuomadinihu: 10:49am On Apr 21, 2015
It's not out of place to say that most Nigerians have seen or watched a bollywood movie in their lifetime. Indian movies are very popular in the African continent especially in Nigeria. Most of us can recall movie titles like the Burning train. Mard, Nargin,Kuchi Kuchi Hota hai. We can even reel off the names of bollywood super stars like the Bachaans,Sharukhan,Dhramenda etc.
But how many Indians watch nollywood movies? Are they even aware of a movie industry known as Nollywood,the third movie industry in the world and the first in the African continent?
Why are we so engrossed in Korean,Bollywood and Hollywood movies and series,when we can't even bother to find out if they are familiar with ours?

2 Likes

Re: Indians And Nollywood by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
It's not out of place to say that most Nigerians have seen or watched a bollywood movie in their lifetime. Indian movies are very popular in the African continent especially in Nigeria. Most of us can recall movie titles like the Burning train. Mard, Nargin,Kuchi Kuchi Hota hai. We can even reel off the names of bollywood super stars like the Bachaans,Sharukhan,Dhramenda etc.
But how many Indians watch nollywood movies? Are they even aware of a movie industry known as Nollywood,the third movie industry in the world and the first in the African continent?
Why are we so engrossed in Korean,Bollywood and Hollywood movies and series,when we can't even bother to find out if they are familiar with ours?
first of all , about 20% of Nigeria populace watch india movies as others prefer Hollywood ,nollywood movies e.t.c especially this young generation. It was around the 1980's to 1990's that about 80% of Nigerians watch them but now, we have Philippine, Mexican, korean and Nigeria soap opera. If you visit a typical Nigerian house, you will discover that it's only the young at heart that watch india movies that's if you see because most home prefer nollywood, movies. that's not to say Chinese movies and others are not watched but it's rare to. see India movies except on tv. haven't you wonder why Nigeria cinema hadly.show Bollywood movies?

1 Like

Re: Indians And Nollywood by Ihuomadinihu: 2:46pm On Apr 21, 2015
asuustrike2009:

first of all , about 20% of Nigeria populace watch india movies as others prefer Hollywood ,nollywood movies e.t.c especially this young generation. It was around the 1980's to 1990's that about 80% of Nigerians watch them but now, we have Philippine, Mexican, korean and Nigeria soap opera. If you visit a typical Nigerian house, you will discover that it's only the young at heart that watch india movies that's if you see because most home prefer nollywood, movies. that's not to say Chinese movies and others are not watched but it's rare to. see India movies except on tv. haven't you wonder why Nigeria cinema hadly.show Bollywood movies?
Ok,thank you. Lots of people still watch bollywood movies. There is a popular tv station on Dstv: Zee world tv. I just want to find out if they know that nollywood exist.

1 Like

Re: Indians And Nollywood by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Ok,thank you. Lots of people still watch bollywood movies. There is a popular tv station on Dstv: Zee world tv. I just want to find out if they know that nollywood exist.
no they don't because nollywood hasn't marketed their product there. Same goes for their music, have ever heard of India music being played on any of our local tv? thanks to dstv nollywood are now producing quality movies especially in series. Dstv added that channel because of those that still love India series and apart from that, Bollywood has gain wide recognition. London wasn't build in one day same with nollywood because we are moving from one face to another. I remember when Bollywood was crap far back in the 1990's especially their songs. after two scenes you will see them singing boring songs but today the story has changed because they worked hard. How many india watch Hollywood movies these days? the percentage has reduced compared to before. They still write love stories. Nollywood is watched All over Africa because we write what happens in our society.
Re: Indians And Nollywood by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 23, 2015
To add to it, dstv have Telemundo for lover of Mexican soap. I am yet to see Philippine or Korea soap on dstv. As to the best of my knowledge, only My tv Shows Philippine soap similar to Telemundo
Re: Indians And Nollywood by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I don't think they know about Nollywood in India. I've asked my friends here in the state where I'm currently staying but they watch Kenyan movies more. Another reason could be our good command of English in our movies (Indians generally ain't good with English language), and some nude/sex/kissing scenes that are not common in their movies. Indians are very reserved with issues such as sex, kissing, etc.
Re: Indians And Nollywood by emmysoftyou: 7:31pm On May 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I think the indians in nigeria knows about nollywood.
But the ones in indians,I can't say but in malaysia my brother told me they love nolllywood there cos of the way they displayed their happy mood in nollywood films.

I grew up watching indians films btw 1993/4 but my favorite bollywood movies then was mard,toofan and teri martana (where a dog become the actor to revenge for his master).

Indians movies re more advance than nigeria movies even til date..

God father of bollywood,amitahb benchan

God father of nollywood,pete edochie..

Loverboi of bollywood,sharuhk khan..

Lovaboi of nollywood,ramsey noah or emeka ike..

Love them all..cheesy
Re: Indians And Nollywood by Fulaman198(m): 6:39pm On Jun 03, 2015
asuustrike2009:

Yeah that's these days but during our parents time, they loved watching Indian films (my mother Especially). I personally don't watch Indian films and I have stopped watching Hausa films because you hear all these auto-tuned Indian sounding songs instead of the powerful true traditional Hausa talking drum songs.

In regards to African films, I do watch films from Chad, Senegal, Gambia, Ghana, Mali and even once from Somalia. They seem to be down to Earth to their African traditions (which I admire the most). Nigerian films some are ok, some not ok.

Sadly and admittedly (I pray this changes), I do watch American based films the most. I love the action in them. They really know how to add computer based graphics and choreography to scenes that make their films that much more amazing. In regards to special effects, none can beat the Americans just yet. Maybe the Japanese and Chinese can, I just haven't seen enough of their films to jump to such a conclusion.
Re: Indians And Nollywood by Moarek5k: 6:54pm On Jun 03, 2015
Re: Indians And Nollywood by IndianBwoy(m): 2:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
I am Indian and I declare myself the first Indian to watch a Nollywood movie.

I dont remember the name but it had this catchy song ..."I am a virgin ooo I no dey do that tinz ooo i am a virgin virgin virgin serious virgin".. .. went something like that.
Re: Indians And Nollywood by tpiar: 11:23pm On Mar 07, 2016
I'm sure some Indians watch Nollywood.
Re: Indians And Nollywood by loshybab(m): 8:09am On May 21, 2016
emmysoftyou:
I think the indians in nigeria knows about nollywood.
But the ones in indians,I can't say but in malaysia my brother told me they love nolllywood there cos of the way they displayed their happy mood in nollywood films.

I grew up watching indians films btw 1993/4 but my favorite bollywood movies then was mard,toofan and teri martana (where a dog become the actor to revenge for his master).

Indians movies re more advance than nigeria movies even til date..

God father of bollywood,amitahb benchan

God father of nollywood,pete edochie..

Loverboi of bollywood,sharuhk khan..

Lovaboi of nollywood,ramsey noah or emeka ike..

Love them all..cheesy
Bad guys of both industries nko; salman khan/hrithik hroshan VS Hanks Anuku (my fav)/Jim iyke/chidi mokeme/sam dede.....

PS:pete is arguably d Godfada of nollywood dou coz we gt alex usifo, nd sme oda yoruba veteran actors

(1) (Reply)

Your Top Four Favourite Hollywood Seasonal Movies? / 'preacher' (tv Series On Amc) / Zee World Mehek Season 2, Mehek And Shaurya Reincarnation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.