Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,420 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria (3444 Views)

7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria / Nigerian Guy And A Hungry Child In Philippines (Photos) / Missing Child In Surulere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by natasha: 11:19am On Apr 21, 2015
Can someone please help with me with some information on how to legally adopt a child in Nigeria, specifically a family member's child? Whats the criteria, process, length of time? I do not live in Nigeria either but I am happy to come down to complete the process.

Or if you can provide me with the contact details of the department that deals with this please.

PS: I have tried google but there is limited information on this for the "nigerian system"
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by Mynd44: 12:39pm On Apr 21, 2015
Different states have different laws and procedures.

You can take a trip to the ministry of women affairs of the state you are in. Also check your local government secretariat

1 Like

Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by natasha: 12:58pm On Apr 21, 2015
thanks for your response Mynd however i dont live in 9ja and the child lives in a SW state.
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by Mynd44: 5:37pm On Apr 21, 2015
natasha:
thanks for your response Mynd however i dont live in 9ja and the child lives in a SW state.
Problem. I doubt you will be allowed to travel with the child
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by blank(f): 6:10pm On Apr 21, 2015
Mynd44:

Problem. I doubt you will be allowed to travel with the child

She will if it is done legally.

Will look for one of debrief's threads. She mentioned it.
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by natasha: 10:52pm On Apr 21, 2015
blank:

She will if it is done legally.

Will look for one of debrief's threads. She mentioned it.

Thank you pls do cos I can't seem to find it despite trying
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by blank(f): 4:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by natasha: 7:27pm On Apr 22, 2015
Thank you. God bless you
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by pappyrose(f): 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2015
Prepare your mind to pick a form, ur form will be processed, u will need some other documents, u will be interviewed with ur husband. It will take some time, it's not something done in a hurry. Feel free to ask me any more questions on this.
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by KanwuliaJara: 9:15pm On Apr 22, 2015
Go to a baby farm and purchase as many as you wish, simple!!!!! kiss
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by natasha: 3:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
pappyrose:
Prepare your mind to pick a form, ur form will be processed, u will need some other documents, u will be interviewed with ur husband. It will take some time, it's not something done in a hurry. Feel free to ask me any more questions on this.

Hi, my husband is in support of these however we both dont reside in 9ja so it will be me just making the trip. Like i said, its a family member's child we are trying to adopt into our family. The Child is a teenager and preparing for Uni so is quite old enough to make informed decisions and is very happy for this to take place. Unfortunately, both his parents are dead and he has been under the care of his paternal family who have been tremendiosly wonderful with his upkeep.
However in order for him to join my family and I, its necessary to get the "paperwork" done hence my questions/post.

With all i have posted, do you still envisage it would be a hurdle to pass through? whats the length of time it takes? His paternal family are also in support of this decision
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by pappyrose(f): 5:15pm On Apr 23, 2015
This is called transfer adoption. It will not follow the process of original adoption. It will not take as much time, maybe about 3 months. The process is quite simple.
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by natasha: 8:05am On Apr 24, 2015
pappyrose:
This is called transfer adoption. It will not follow the process of original adoption. It will not take as much time, maybe about 3 months. The process is quite simple.

Thank you for the response. Does it involve a fee? presentation of documents etc?
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by pappyrose(f): 1:05pm On Apr 24, 2015
natasha:

Thank you for the response. Does it involve a fee? presentation of documents etc?

Yes, u will still purchase d form, and u will still have to present d documents, e.g bank statement, letter from ur employer, letter of consent from ur spouse etc. The purpose of all this is to be sure that u are capable financially and in every other way to take adequate care of the child. They want to be sure that the future of this child is guaranteed with u.
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by Turbocharged: 6:59am On Jul 31, 2015
natasha:
Can someone please help with me with some information on how to legally adopt a child in Nigeria, specifically a family member's child? Whats the criteria, process, length of time? I do not live in Nigeria either but I am happy to come down to complete the process.

Or if you can provide me with the contact details of the department that deals with this please.

PS: I have tried google but there is limited information on this for the "nigerian system"

If you still need help, I canake enquiries for you from my inlaw who adopted 2 of his late brother's children.
Re: How To Adopt A Child In Nigeria by betaessays: 12:17am On Oct 17, 2017
Child adoption is a very sensitive ground to trend on in Nigeria. Its very easy to move from child adoption to child trafficking if you do not have the right information and documentation. Get more detailed information on child adoption in Nigeria here.

(1) (Reply)

Man Divorces Wife For Building A House Without His Knowledge - Vanguard / Lawyers In The House / Have You Ever Been Wooed As A Pregnant Woman?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.