Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (803866 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (385) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by euphorbia(f): 6:37pm On Aug 03, 2021
Congratulations kife and nike4luv

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by nike4luv(f): 7:07pm On Aug 03, 2021
babybless44:
Congratulations! It’s getting closer to my turn.
What’s her timeline? Vaccine not compulsory but he/she must quarantine at the Canadian Government Hotel.

Thank you!

His timeline
Applied- March 2020
Compassionate care application with limited release from quarantine (he can quarantine at home)- June 2021
Medicals- June 2021
Passport Request- July 2021

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Moremmu: 7:49pm On Aug 03, 2021
Thank you Nairalanders, its been awesome getting information and idea here, I don't post but I felt the urge to post today to let you know that God will do it for you , I got my passport back from vfs using Lagos vfs office, submitted July 19 via dhl and received today Aug 3 via ups.
Timeline Year 2021
Online Application submitted: Feb 5
Biometrics: Feb 9
Medical request: June 30
Medical passed: July 13
PPR: July 17

1st Travel exemption mail sent: Apr 26
2nd Travel exemption mail reminder: May 21
None was responded to.
We prayed, believed and God did it.

May everyone waiting for this kind of response receive a favourable mail this month. Amen

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by babybless44: 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2021
Congratulations!

Moremmu:
Thank you Nairalanders, its been awesome getting information and idea here, I don't post but I felt the urge to post today to let you know that God will do it for you , I got my passport back from vfs using Lagos vfs office, submitted July 19 via dhl and received today Aug 3 via ups.
Timeline Year 2021

None was responded to.

May everyone waiting for this kind of response receive a favourable mail this month. Amen

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by lightswitch007: 1:50am On Aug 04, 2021
nike4luv:
Hi All
Partner just got approved for SOWP on compassionate care reasons.

Anyone travelled from Lagos to Canada recently and can shed some light on the experience? Is the vaccine required? Any quirky things we should expect at the airport?

Thanks!
congratulations to you nike4luv

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by lightswitch007: 1:52am On Aug 04, 2021
Moremmu:
Timeline Year 2021

None was responded to.

good news all around. It will surely go round.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by owolabia: 3:37am On Aug 04, 2021
Hi everyone

I am a student in canada and I want to apply for SOWP for my wife and my kid

please what is the current proof of fund for wife and 1 kid to join me in Canada

Thanks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ichelle(m): 7:14am On Aug 04, 2021
Good morning everyone!
Please can someone please help me? The frustration is really hitting me bad right now. I applied through an agent since February, this is August and I’m yet to hear anything from the embassy. I’ve deferred my admission once and right now confused about the next step to take. Please!!! My email address is kachimykel@yahoo.ca. Kindly assist me with any useful information that can help me through right now please!
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Eilenora: 10:02am On Aug 04, 2021
Thanks,
Any feedback from the MP on your email? I am following same process for my mum. I got this feedback:

Thank you for reaching out to the office of MP Pam Damoff. I reviewed your email below, and unfortunately MP’s and MP offices are strictly prohibited from interfering in any IRCC processes such as this one. Although as the MP’s office we cannot expedite any applications, we can certainly look for a status update. If you would like me to enquire for one please fill out this form (attached) and forward to me at your earliest convenience.

[color=#000000][/color]What do I do from here?

What is the difference between this and gcms note?

Best,
nochyks87:

Congrats
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Eilenora: 10:06am On Aug 04, 2021
Update: Hubby got his passport back on Monday, DHL process took exactly a week. Catwgory: worker. Niicceee

Eilenora:
Yes you are right, just saw this other gtb receipt he sent to me. Also see the requirements that I used during my time.
https://visa.vfsglobal.com/nga/en/can/buy-services

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by lightswitch007: 1:41pm On Aug 04, 2021
Eilenora:
Thanks,
Any feedback from the MP on your email? I am following same process for my mum. I got this feedback:

Thank you for reaching out to the office of MP Pam Damoff. I reviewed your email below, and unfortunately MP’s and MP offices are strictly prohibited from interfering in any IRCC processes such as this one. Although as the MP’s office we cannot expedite any applications, we can certainly look for a status update. If you would like me to enquire for one please fill out this form (attached) and forward to me at your earliest convenience.

[color=#000000][/color]What do I do from here?

What is the difference between this and gcms note?

Best,
Hi Eilenora, May I ask if the Mp of London, Ontario can inquire for international student that is not yet in Canada. My wife is also a student in Fanshawe College but taking online classes while waiting for my OWP and Trv minor.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by kife(m): 4:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
ichelle:
Good morning everyone!
Please can someone please help me? The frustration is really hitting me bad right now. I applied through an agent since February, this is August and I’m yet to hear anything from the embassy. I’ve deferred my admission once and right now confused about the next step to take. Please!!! My email address is kachimykel@yahoo.ca. Kindly assist me with any useful information that can help me through right now please!

There is alot of backlogs, nothing you can do, just be patient

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by babybless44: 7:37pm On Aug 04, 2021
Is the Spousal Open Work Permit applications among the Temporary Residence applications?

kife:

There is alot of backlogs, nothing you can do, just be patient

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by kife(m): 10:37pm On Aug 04, 2021
So we submitted passport to VFS today and 5hours later, we were notified it's been dispatched back to VFS

Counterfoil affixed..this is really impressive...can't wait grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by kife(m): 10:38pm On Aug 04, 2021
[quote author=babybless44 post=104431737]Is the Spousal Open Work Permit applications among the Temporary Residence applications?

[/quote

Yes

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Eilenora: 10:58pm On Aug 04, 2021
I would assume so actually; but lets allow others provide input as well

lightswitch007:

Hi Eilenora, May I ask if the Mp of London, Ontario can inquire for international student that is not yet in Canada. My wife is also a student in Fanshawe College but taking online classes while waiting for my OWP and Trv minor.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by lightswitch007: 12:05am On Aug 05, 2021
Eilenora:
I would assume so actually; but lets allow others provide input as well

ok thanks Eilenora
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Yteem: 2:44pm On Aug 05, 2021
Moremmu:
Timeline Year 2021

None was responded to.

Congratulations to you and everyone else who has gotten a positive response. I pray that the good news will go round for all.

Soon and very soon.

4 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Lianna2020: 5:10pm On Aug 06, 2021
Good afternoon everyone.
For those that applied for eta, how did you by pass this .

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 7:36pm On Aug 06, 2021
Unless you or your family member (I assume you are applying for someone if you are a Nigerian without US residency), then you/they can't
apply for at eletronic travel authorization (eta). For us, it has to be TRV (visa). Unless I am reading this wrongly, maybe what you wanted to ask was travel exemption authorization.

Lianna2020:
Good afternoon everyone.
For those that applied for eta, how did you by pass this .
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Lianna2020: 8:12pm On Aug 06, 2021
I read that people apply for eta for their family or isn’t that what it’s called? Please correct me.
Akannitommy:
Unless you or your family member (I assume you are applying for someone if you are a Nigerian without US residency), then you/they can't
apply for at eletronic travel authorization (eta). For us, it has to be TRV (visa). Unless I am reading this wrongly, maybe what you wanted to ask was travel exemption authorization.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Lianna2020: 8:15pm On Aug 06, 2021
How did you apply for TA, I tried applying but it says I must have Green card.
EnnyOneda:
My timeline:
Application submitted - Jan 27, 2020
Biometrics updated - Feb 3, 2020
Medicals- upfront(Jan 2020), updated to passed(Nov. 2020), Expired(Jan 2021)
Medical request - Feb 4, 2021,
Medical passed & updated - march 13, 2021
Passport Request - June 25, 2021
Passport submission(Lagos VFS): June 28, 2021
Passport received: July 14th
-Request for 1st GCMS note: Oct 2020, received: Nov. 2020
-Request for 2nd GCMS notes: 18th may 2021, received: 21st June, 2021
-Applied for 1st TA: Jan 6th, 2021, refused: 15th Jan(based on expired medicals)
-Applied for 2nd and 3rd TA: No response
Travel documents required:
-Covid 19 test result(not more than 72hours to the day of arrival)
-ArriveCan receipt(download the app and fill within 72hours before your trip), print out the receipt and have a backup on your phone)
-marriage certificate(orig&photocopy),your spouse docs(study/work permit, I.D card, updated confirmation of enrolment etc), int. passport, hotel booking for quarantine(if you are not vaccinated), quarantine plan, P.O.E letter, GCMS note(I used this in place of T.A. the section that stated I qualify for T.A) and any other supporting document.

P.S:
T.A was only requested at MMIA but not mentioned at the point of entry, although this depends on the officer on duty. My spouse also contacted the MP twice to raise an enquiry which they did.

Most importantly, God hasn't forgotten you. You will need a very good dose of patience wink Pray for God's favour on your application and journey. It will end in praise and you will share your testimony soon
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Lianna2020: 8:16pm On Aug 06, 2021
Please can you share any link or let me know how you sent travel exemption mail please
Moremmu:
Timeline Year 2021

None was responded to.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 8:41pm On Aug 06, 2021
I am not sure because am not yet at that stage but I think the issue of Travel Exemption and restriction of discretionary travel is coming to an end already. You may just need to exercise a little bit of patience as usual. See below a recent update on CIC website:

*Upcoming border changes*

Fully vaccinated foreign nationals may be allowed to enter Canada for discretionary travel on the following dates if they meet specific criteria:

Effective August 9: American citizens and permanent residents of the United States, who currently reside in the United States, who meet specific criteria to qualify as fully vaccinated
September 7 (intended start date): All other foreign nationals who qualify as fully vaccinated

The 3-night hotel stopover requirement will be eliminated for all travellers arriving by air after 12:01 A.M. EDT on August 9.

Lianna2020:
I read that people apply for eta for their family or isn’t that what it’s called? Please correct me.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by hazzaman: 9:58pm On Aug 06, 2021
Lianna2020:
Please can you share any link or let me know how you sent travel exemption mail please

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/ClientContact/en/Crisis
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Lianna2020: 11:09pm On Aug 06, 2021
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by elizyous: 5:46am On Aug 08, 2021
Good evening everyone,

Please I need help on applying for SOWP for my husband and kids. Reading from the beginning is over 4 years old and I don't know if it's the same documents that are required.

Also, please will I be the one to apply for them from my GC account? How do I do that please?

My youngest child is an American citizen, do I need to write to the embassy about him asking for authorization?

Please I will appreciate help in these regard. Thank you
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by joy2dworld4eva: 10:21am On Aug 08, 2021
Please house, I'd like to know how much medical fee is.
Thanks.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by afrobrown2000: 6:51pm On Aug 08, 2021
@residentourist am similar to your case just that my 3 children are all US citizens ......how will you handle the fact that even us citizen planning to stay in canada for more than 6 months will have to do medicals ...Did your children(US citizen ) do medicals? am just confused which route to use SOWP or Visiting visa
Residentourist:
Good morning people!!!

I recently received a positive response on my student visa application. Now I want my husband and first child to apply for Canadian visa (my other 2 kids are US citizens and do not require a visa) the challenge is most people here are applying for work permit for their spouse but what I actually want is a visitors visa because my husband cannot afford to quit his job anytime soon grin

I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction of what steps to take. Ie should he apply on his own (considering that he is sponsoring me) or should I make the application under my gckey?

Please has anyone been in this situation and how did you tackle it or are you tackling it?

I'd appreciate a response. Thank you.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 08, 2021
You have to follow SOWP because it is faster. Faster than Spousal visa even. Then if he doesn't wanna work in Canada, no worries. I think your children need to do medical examination. Three of them! Us citizens and other medical-exempt folks do not do if prior to entering Canada they had lived 6months in their respective countries or coming from a medical-exempt country.
afrobrown2000:
@residentourist am similar to your case just that my 3 children are all US citizens ......how will you handle the fact that even us citizen planning to stay in canada for more than 6 months will have to do medicals ...Did your children(US citizen ) do medicals? am just confused which route to use SOWP or Visiting visa
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by afrobrown2000: 8:06pm On Aug 08, 2021
@abbyode when you talk about legally speaking, its on the IRCC website that even American Citizen needs to do medicals if they intend to stay more than 6 months....
abbyode:
Your kids sure don't need visas but you need to apply for visitor records for them so they don't go out of status. Legally speaking, they can't stay more than 6 months with their US passports except you got visitor record for them at the point of entry. Please take note.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by afrobrown2000: 11:38pm On Aug 08, 2021
@Eilenora Nice i must commend you strong woman. .did you go with hubby/or any support system when you had your kids in the US
Eilenora:
Kids were stamped in till December which is when my passport expires, same as me, so am not sure there's anything to regularize. I am currently trying to apply for an extension of all our study permits, both mine and kids . I am hoping it comes out b4 hubby leaves for Nig so once he shows them at POE, they can give him an extended stay and not stamp him in till Dec as well. Our fingers are crossed as to how long TRV they will give him: 5yrs+ based on a new passport he got that we sent to them via webform and which he submitted today, or till Dec asper date of expiration of my own permit. Even with the December date, they realise my course is for 2yrs, so will that be taken into consideration? I guess at this point we can only speculate, so best to wait and see how it all plays out.

Documents I enclosed with my letter of invitation:
 Bio data page of my international passport,
 Evidence of previous visas and stamps in passport,
 Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV),
 Evidence of commencement of process to renew my international passport as a prerequisite to applying for an extension of my study permit,
 A copy of the children’s USA international passports + birth certf,
 Unconditional letter of acceptance
 Letter of enrolment + school timetable,
 Study permits both for myself and the children,
 Evidence of payment of tuition for both 1st and 2nd term + account summary from Fanshawe web advisor,
 Marriage certificate + name change documents,
 Evidence of daughter’s enrolment in school,
 Family pictures (several pics pasted on a word document telling our story from how we met, when we got married, when kids came, the Canadian journey, us at the airport saying goodbyes, touch down in Canada, vals day celebrated in diaspora, daughter in school, screen munch of video calls,
 Evidence of accommodation in Canada

Documents hubby attached to his application letter:
Resume
Birth certf
Certifications
NYSC
IQAS
Passport bio data page
Employment documents: contract, promotion letters, pay slips, letter of introduction
Registration documents in respect of businesses he owns
Statement of account
Pension statement
Extract from PENCOM act (Clause 16(5) highlighted in felt pen)
Tenancy Agreement in Nigeria
Evidence of ownership of car
Reference letters
Evidence of ownership of landed property
Pics of aged parents (social ties)
Medical document showing Parents have pre-existing health conditions, (stronger social ties),
Police character certf

Already posted emotional follow up email sent to them in a previous post.
Hubby also renewed his intl passport and forwarded to them via webform a week ago I believe.

Applied for Gcms note 3 days to the request for PPR

Hope this helps?

All the best to everyone and thank you!!!!!!! Every single thing I know about SOWP was from reading from Page 1 of this thread at least 2-3x. I left nothing to chance. There was too mch as stake. Indeed, "it is not good for man to be alone" and God knows that. As they say in my place, "ire naa a kari gbogbo wa" meaning, the testimony will flow round to all of us IJN.

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (385) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.