Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,473 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:20 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (804658 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:39pm On Feb 05, 2012
Share your surviving tips here. . .

-How did you get your part-time job . .

-Cheap student accommodation . .

-How do you call home cheaply . .

Ask your questions here and if there is something missing on the list then suggest and it will be added.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by werepeLeri: 7:07pm On Feb 05, 2012
Was on fully paid for scholarship - so had no probs with the above. But it could be hell for self sponsored students bros.

Part time jobs may be hard these days - when full graduates are even out there unemployed

hmmm - unless you stay in the school hostel, else no accommodation is cheap

that one is the easiest na. - so many calling cards out there.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:10pm On Feb 05, 2012
werepeLeri:

Was on fully paid for scholarship - so had no probs with the above. But it could be hell for self sponsored students bros.

Part time jobs may be hard these days - when full graduates are even out there unemployed

hmmm - unless you stay in the school hostel, else no accommodation is cheap

that one is the easiest na. - so many calling cards out there.

That is actually more expensive than private renting

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by werepeLeri: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2012
justwise:

That is actually more expensive than private renting

ooops - for sure.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by odeexpress(m): 12:38am On Feb 09, 2012
On making cheap calls, I call my girlfriend at 1p a minute. Just ask the person u call frequently to get the MTN 08100 number series. You can call the number with 1p a minute through Lyca and Lebara

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:39am On Feb 09, 2012
odeexpress:

On making cheap calls, I call my girlfriend at 1p a minute. Just ask the person u call frequently to get the MTN 08100 number series. You can call the number with 1p a minute through Lyca and Lebara

That is a very good tip

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 1:11pm On Feb 09, 2012
odeexpress:

^^ That was a very good tip, thanks.

Off topic, I was going through a website that discussed the proposed abolition of PSW come April 2012; there were many bitter comments by international students already trapped into the system and this particular one caught my attention:

"I have taken a loan and from the bank, and the repayment starts after I finish my studies, I have part £25,000 in tuition fees and expenses. My parents have big hope, so please don't act like fraudsters which you are."

^^^ The comment in bold made me burst into laughter;but on a second thought, I reasoned where most of them are coming from. Some complained of taken loan up to £87,000. I think UK should reconsider their standing on this, more especially, those that have taken their decisions based on PSW before this new proposal.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:50pm On Feb 09, 2012
Otuabaroku:

^^ That was a very good tip, thanks.

Off topic, I was going through a website that discussed the proposed abolition of PSW come April 2012; there were many bitter comments by international students already trapped into the system and this particular one caught my attention:

"I have taken a loan and from the bank, and the repayment starts after I finish my studies, I have part £25,000 in tuition fees and expenses. My parents have big hope, so please don't act like fraudsters which you are."

^^^ The comment in bold made me burst into laughter;but on a second thought, I reasoned where most of them are coming from. Some complained of taken loan up to £87,000. I think UK should reconsider their standing on this, more especially, those that have taken their decisions based on PSW before this new proposal.

I don't feel sorry for anybody who failed to research well before taking such loan to come to the UK, they have only themselves to blame. Even with PSW in place, paying such amount of money in 2yrs will be very very hard.

Many are crying their eyes out now and i can understand some of them but please if you don't have the money for UK education then try other cheaper countries, don't risk it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 3:30pm On Feb 09, 2012
"Justwise, I'm talking about a prospective that has done his research in 2009 to take an undergraduate course in UK. His research would have told him that he would be graduating by June 2012(all things being equal) and would utilize PSW to gain international work experience and perpetuate what he has studied which would consequently make him more marketable in his country of origin.

For a student like this, is it his fault that he is caught in this quagmire? This is some of the situations I considered which I think UK government should reconsider their stand, more especially, people that are already trapped in the system.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:41pm On Feb 09, 2012
Otuabaroku:

"Justwise, I'm talking about a prospective that has done his research in 2009 to take an undergraduate course in UK. His research would have told him that he would be graduating by June 2012(all things being equal) and would utilize PSW to gain international work experience and perpetuate what he has studied which would consequently make him more marketable in his country of origin.

For a student like this, is it his fault that he is caught in this quagmire? This is some of the situations I considered which I think UK government should reconsider their stand, more especially, people that are already trapped in the system.

Many get caught up by constant immigration rule changing, he maybe luck to get a job through Tier 2 .
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 10:15pm On Feb 10, 2012
Wondering if there are Nairalanders studying in the UK  grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by odeexpress(m): 11:10am On Feb 11, 2012
@ FutureDon

I know a few nairalanders who study in the UK and I do too

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:13pm On Feb 11, 2012
FutureDon:

Wondering if there are Nairalanders studying in the UK  grin

Abeg make una post O!
Thinking of PG studies there this year O!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:18pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^^^^^
Also, no matter how into recession the UK is, jobs still exist.
Are they opportunities for technical skills in the IT sphere e.g. computer/network techie openings?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 10:58am On Feb 12, 2012
ochukoccna:

^^^^^^^
Also, no matter how into recession the UK is, jobs still exist.
Are they opportunities for technical skills in the IT sphere e.g. computer/network techie openings?
Thanks

^^ Don't you get it? If you are going to UK with the hope to work as a student, you are deceiving yourself. When the opportunity for students to work seemed limitless , it was very challenging to even work not to talk about now there are many restrictions. My advice for you is that if you want to come and study; and you can afford the tuition fees and living expenses; and you wish to go back immediately after your study, then you can go ahead. Anything short of that, you are taking risk.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 4:26pm On Feb 14, 2012
No be beans o

Its best you have all your funds and any extra work is just to suppliment your pocket money

-I had previous retail experience whilst in college so getting a UNI-job was pretty straight forward- that was then o, new sportsworld was opening

- its best you meet/know people before your school start, arrive early, attend freshers week or even before that, so sharing a house would be the cheapest, dont be afraid to rent with other nationalisties, adds to the experience
I got school accommodation for my first year and lived at home from second year

- if you are living with university mate, make sure you get bundle phone and internet, preferably free calls to landline n 0845 number all hours, then use calling cards- Talkhome ,cobra or use international sim cards, lebara, vectone

-If you are comfortable, dont need to work or have extra time on your hands make sure you get involved the community, Volunteer and gain experience even if its not paid, dont close yourself off to only nigerian/african students dont force yourself to do things you dont want to do either

Remember your primary aim to to study not to work your bumbum off to impress someone back home, you're just a student

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by moonraker(m): 7:31am On Feb 16, 2012
Study Study Study!!!!!!!

Network Network Network

Look for part time jobs and do it no matter how little

Opening up ur mind to everything and anything good (Drop the nigerian mentality)

Hard work pays when yu are out of nigeria.

24 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:34pm On Feb 16, 2012
Apart from studying try as much as possible to understand AND APPRECIATE THEIR SYSTEM dont fight it
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mrcheeky(m): 8:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
I was born in the UK. Parents are Nigerian.

I would say it is very TOUGH to get a job here in England due to the economic crisis. Inflation is increasing and jobs are decreasing so it is very hard to survive here. You'd end up applying to 20-50 jobs a day with no result, lucky enough to even get an interview  angry

Accommodation isn't cheap. Some starting from £250 per week (N62,425 a week) which isn't righteous for Nigerians. Looks like a mission to get that money right?

To those who are travelling to this country looking for work and education I'd advise you to come prepared, have a plan and survive!

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mimi234: 8:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
mrcheeky:

I would say it is very TOUGH to get a job here in England due to the economic crisis. Inflation is increasing and jobs are decreasing so it is very hard to survive here. You'd end up applying to 20-50 jobs a day with no result, lucky enough to even get an interview  angry

Accommodation isn't cheap. Some starting from £250 per week (N62,425 a week) [/b]which isn't righteous for Nigerians. Looks like a mission to get that money right?

To those who are travelling to this country looking for work and education I'd advise you to [b] come prepared, have a plan and survive!

Really?? I think that info right there is wrong, accommodation costs vary wherever you decide to stay , of course in London housing is very expensive but the town where i did my uni a room was about £300-£400 per month no where near £250 per week. Once you come out of London prices of accommodation will drop.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mrcheeky(m): 9:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
mimi234:

Really?? I think that info right there is wrong,  accommodation costs vary wherever you decide to stay , of course in London housing is very expensive but the town where i did my uni a room was about £300-£400 per month no where near £250 per week.  Once you come out of London prices of accommodation will drop.

Eh, you got ripped off then. Sorry about that. Accommodation isn't set to rise so £250 is around that price a week.
cheesy

mimi234:
Once you come out of London prices of accommodation will drop.

Rephrase that line cause that didn't make sense, or I just didn't understand,

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:28pm On Feb 16, 2012
mrcheeky:

Accommodation isn't cheap. Some starting from £250 per week (N62,425 a week) which isn't righteous for Nigerians. Looks like a mission to get that money right?

To those who are travelling to this country looking for work and education I'd advise you to come prepared, have a plan and survive!

You wouldn't compare house rent in London to those outside London, London prices are always a rip-off , mimi234 is right, rent outside London is relatively moderate.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mimi234: 9:37pm On Feb 16, 2012
mrcheeky:

Eh, you got ripped off then. Sorry about that. Accommodation isn't set to rise so £250 is around that price a week.
cheesy

Rephrase that line cause that didn't make sense, or I just didn't understand,

ripped off? are you not reading what I am typing i said rent in my uni town is in the range of £300 - £400 per month that makes it £75-£100 per week!! that's cheaper than the £250 you state as the starting price, mehnn i think your confused.

People should refrain themselves from putting wrong info that may mislead people.
And what I was saying is that London is the capital city so prices are generally higher than elsewhere in the UK however if you go to a university outside of London prices will drop/fall/reduce/decrease; and there are lots of really good uni's outside London

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by NoWee(m): 5:55am On Feb 19, 2012
Could someone please tell me more about the MTN number I should ask the person I call frequently through Lyca and Lebara to get so that I can call with 1p per minute? Must the MTN number start with 08100 or 081 plus any other number?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 11:39pm On Feb 23, 2012
The uk isnt tough ,it isnt tought at all. Finding a job or finding accomodation the lot can be as easy as you make it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 27, 2012
queensmith:

The uk isnt tough ,it isnt tought at all. Finding a job or finding accomodation the lot can be as easy as you make it.

Somebody is really really really rich @queensmith

Unlike u, i paid my fees, and three months accommodation, had a few months of living allowance (though on a budget), yet been sweating it out month on month, jobs are scarce cos we don't have much competition with "their own", attended interviews serially and only landed one that offers about 10 hours a month, at least it feeds me. So if someone says UK is gold, PLEASE I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT TO DO.

moonraker:

Study Study Study!!!!!!!

Network Network Network

Look for part time jobs and do it no matter how little

Opening up ur mind to everything and anything good (Drop the nigerian mentality)

Hard work pays when yu are out of nigeria.

"Network" "No matter how little" "Drop the Nigerian mentality", On Point.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by NoWee(m): 2:58am On Mar 01, 2012
Could someone please tell me more about the MTN number I should ask the person I call frequently through Lyca and Lebara to get so that I can call with 1p per minute? Must the MTN number start with 08100 or 081 plus any other number?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 8:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
lol- in jesus name i claim it grin grin
In all honesty london has to be the best place for study e.t.c the lot.

You can get a job that will pay £7 minimum (i'd advise people to find office jobs) at least one has his/her foot through the door if you decide to stay.
You can use the money you make monthly or your upkeep and use your savings for rent emergencies e.t.c

networking definitely! student unions study groups volunteering everything. Plus for me it was great experience. (Don't network with naija people thats frolicking grin grin) get to know different people from different backgrounds. You can get a job, even if it's telesales or charity fundraising. Most of those ones pay £7- £8 an hour.

I'm always dissapointed when Nigerians decide to flock towards security or care work, opportunities are everywhere, you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 05, 2012
Surviving in the uk is simple grin

Morning-garri sad

Afternoon-chin chin shocked

Night-holy water smiley

Job-posting on nl . . . Heard seun is paying well tongue

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olalekan0(m): 2:11pm On Mar 05, 2012
For Nigerian students with limited financial support,i think it's best to attend a reputable private uni at home for your baccalaurette upon which you can thereafter proceed to europe or america for your post-graduate studies! It saves cost and i hope this helps!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mayflowa(m): 2:22pm On Mar 05, 2012
queensmith:

lol- in jesus name i claim it grin grin
In all honesty london has to be the best place for study e.t.c the lot.

You can get a job that will pay £7 minimum (i'd advise people to find office jobs) at least one has his/her foot through the door if you decide to stay.
You can use the money you make monthly or your upkeep and use your savings for rent emergencies e.t.c

networking definitely! student unions study groups volunteering everything. Plus for me it was great experience. (Don't network with naija people thats frolicking grin grin) get to know different people from different backgrounds. You can get a job, even if it's telesales or charity fundraising. Most of those ones pay £7- £8 an hour.

I'm always dissapointed when Nigerians decide to flock towards security or care work, opportunities are everywhere, you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

So sad

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.