Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,349 members, 7,829,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (121469 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 8:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
Macelliot:

Nice one bro!
But some Ukwuanis calls themselves Igbo..

Maybe they don't know yet.

My boss is from Imo... Whenever we have an argument he just says.. You this Ukwuani man. He never says you this Igbo man.

Cos he knows I'm not igbo.

Ukwuani is one of the 27 official recognized national language being taught as a curriculum.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Macelliot(m): 8:49pm On Apr 23, 2015
stynhaq:

Very Myopic. Count out Delta from your rubbish Igbo ideology. Ukwuani is an Independent Language Spoken by the Ndokwas so is Ika and Aniocha. There is no correlation.
Are you drunk?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 8:50pm On Apr 23, 2015
Now we have agreed at a point .igbo is not a tribe but an ethnic group and made up. Of tribe speaking different dialects of igbo

Oru isu owerri ARO are tribes in igbo

Macelliot:

Check my post. I refered the Ikwerre people as a Tribe... But the "Ikwerre language" is Igboid...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igboid_languages

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by soonest(f): 8:53pm On Apr 23, 2015
Seunpaul01:

Lol, u still dont get my point, am not saying d same thing.
Igbos are in Equatorial Guinea
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by delpee(f): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

They are descendants of ancient yorubas who fled their ancestral origin during times of tribulation to settle in Igboland, West of the Niger. They are settlers in the midst of Igbos who are mostly Igbo-speaking today, with mostly the elderly who speak olukumi. Stephen Ikechukwu Keshi, is said to be from that area.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lazsnaira(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
Radoillo:

I do not care much about you either. This is not my list. If you have a problem with it address your aggreviances to scholars who made the classification.

Pls don't even bother, you're responding to a yoruba dog. I've just places a curse on that dog.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 8:59pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

My boss is from Imo... Whenever you have an argument he just says.. You this Ukwuani man. He never says you this Igbo man.

Ukwuani is one of the 27 official recognized national language being taught as a curriculum.
Don't let that border u its just our ways ..we yab even the owerri man will say this onitsha man

He knows your igbo just that ypu speak a different dialect not language

Ukwuani speaks same with of oguta in imo just like ika speaks with owerri

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

Drop ur bb pin or whatsapp.. Private msg pls.
Okay
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Macelliot(m): 9:06pm On Apr 23, 2015
stynhaq:

You are been plain stupid. I was born and schooled in Agbor. precisely Gbenoba Boys Grammar School. Do you hear the name of my school? Gben-Oba. Has a mix of Benin in It.

You Ibos always aint contempt with yourselves. It is not negotiable, we have no affiliation with you guys just as the Ikwerres of Rivers. Can't you respect one's Independence? How difficult is that?

I initially thought the Yorubas and Hausa's were been sentimental, now I know that are 100% right.

We have no roots with you guys. Period. Come to Agbor or Owa (Boji Boji) the only Ibos you see are the one's that came for trade as obtainable elsewhere in Nigeria.

My summary: Mind your own business, do not claim what is not yours. If you need detailed History of Agbor, Go to Ika National Library in Agbor, COE Agbor, Delsu Abraka and Uniben. Stop talking what you assume.
Nice. You are entitled to your own opinion....
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 9:07pm On Apr 23, 2015
tonychristopher:
Don't let that border u its just our ways ..we yab even the owerri man will say this onitsha man

He knows your igbo just that ypu speak a different dialect not language

Ukwuani speaks same with of oguta in imo just like ika speaks with owerri

Lol... Thanks.

I'm not disputing the fact that our language is 90% igboid related.

I just need people to know and respect my tribe.

You can't call a Benue man Hausa... They might speak hausa or be closely related to them... That does not make them Hausa.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 9:12pm On Apr 23, 2015
stynhaq:

Very Myopic. Count out Delta from your rubbish Igbo ideology. Ukwuani is an Independent Language Spoken by the Ndokwas so is Ika and Aniocha. There is no correlation.
another sturborn rat.

3 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Macelliot(m): 9:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
stynhaq
you see ur life...
I told you majority of Ika refers themselves as Igbos....
This is a prove of it...
You lack deep rooting.....

xmich:

Its your own Ika Diffrent from mine,bros
According to my personal research and my parent who were able to enlighten me on our history,
i must tell you am proudly Igbo,
dont get me wrong that is the simple truth and only that truth can set you free,its high time we recognise our root,
Proudly Igbo.
Thanks bro.
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ishilove: 9:16pm On Apr 23, 2015
ogorkojo:

Yoruba and Edo in my own ukwuani? Examples pls
Basket- apeere
Onions- Alubosa (alubosa is actually arabic 'albaasal')
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by nkemdi89(f): 9:16pm On Apr 23, 2015
Nomswag:

obiaruku....and u? sist ...abeg send me your number 2
Emu
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ezemust: 9:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
Gboliwe:

Hahahahahahahahah that ur dialect is something else
its like music in the ear
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by xmich(m): 9:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

quit using Wikipedia as a source bros. all those tribes u listed dont dare call them igbo igboid na better heavy slap u go collect
I can see mediocrety have eaten deep into your vain,to the extent of the advising a learned fellow of 21st century to stop using wikipedia to source for information just to cover up your miopic liars,

I guess you should take him to babalawo as normal,rubbish

My people this will show you how devilish this set of people are.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
Chigold101:
the yoruba & edo element you get in Ukwuani is cos of proximity & relationship it has with those people. “Ukwuani“ is actualy and igbo word.
Don't mind dat guy u quoted. Am Ukwuani. There is nothing like Edo or Yoruba in Ukwuani. Nothing at all. Except he is talking about IKA wich isn't ukwuani

5 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

Basket- apeere
Thought you were Igbo?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 9:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

My boss is from Imo... Whenever we have an argument he just says.. You this Ukwuani man. He never says you this Igbo man.

I refer to my Nsukka friends as 'ndi nsukka', or my owerri neighbour as 'onye owerri', that doesn't mean they are not Igbo. Does it?

If a man from chelsea refers to a man from manchester as 'you this mancunian boy', does it make the mancunian non-English?

Don't be deceived. It is all in your head. Your boss only refers to you by your ethnic sub-group. The same way he would say 'this anambra boy' had you been from anambra or 'ngwa' boy had you been from 'ngwa'. Heck, when I was in owerri, people would often call me 'anambra boy' once I spoke my dialect. That does not mean I am different from them. It is only a specifc identification of where in Igboland you're from.

7 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

Basket- apeere
Onions is called Yabashi in Utagba Uno part of Ukwuani. And called Otita in Obiaruku part of ukwuani. Don't know wat a basket is tho, but I doubt if it's Apeere cos my dad taught me dere is no 'R' in ukwuani alphabet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by FemiFaniKayode: 9:25pm On Apr 23, 2015
xmich:

I can see mediocrety have eaten deep into your vain,to the extent of the advising a learned fellow of 21st century to stop using wikipedia to source for information just to cover up your miopic liars,

I guess you should take him to babalawo as normal,rubbish

learned fellow grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Macelliot(m): 9:29pm On Apr 23, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

quit using Wikipedia as a source bros. all those tribes u listed dont dare call them igbo igboid na better heavy slap u go collect
Are you drunk....
You this Yoruba dude! Get a life and stop being Jealous....

3 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 9:32pm On Apr 23, 2015
meaning of onions in ukwuani
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 9:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

Basket- apeere

Ishilove, languages borrow from each other. Igbo and Yoruba share many similar words amongst each other. That does not make Igbo less Igbo or Yoruba less yoruba. Ukwuani may borrow a word or two from edo, sharing close proximity to it, it still doesn't make it less Igbo.

You have a dialect made up of over 99% Igbo words and less than 1% foreign words, and you choose to lean on those borrowed words as your tribal identity? First and foremost, why isn't bini spoken in its full form, or at least a smattering of it, anywhere in anioma if aniomas were from bini?

At least in Anioma, some Ebu people speak Igala, some Ugbodu people (the elders) speak Olukumi - these migrants to Igboland in one form or the other retained their original language. Why didn't the bini language survive like the others, if its people truly migrated en masse from bini to settle in Igboland? Why is the case of the bini suddenly different?

Igbo ex-slaves formerly destined for slavery who settled in Opobo and Bonny (formerly Ijaw speaking areas) in Rivers state maintained their language such that the language became the major language of those areas. This, being in line with the consistency in the survival of migrant languages. However, the absence of the so-called language of the Binis looks suspicious.

6 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 9:34pm On Apr 23, 2015
ogorkojo:

Onions is called Yabashi in Utagba Uno part of Ukwuani. And called Otita in Obiaruku part of ukwuani. Don't know wat a basket is tho, but I doubt if it's Apeere cos my dad taught me dere is no 'R' in ukwuani alphabet.

My maternal grandmother from Enugu state called onions 'yabasi'. Yabasi is borrowed from Hausa.

Basket is nkata in Igbo, with falling intonation.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ishilove: 9:40pm On Apr 23, 2015
ogorkojo:

I don't know where you got that from, but my daddy told me apeere is basket in Ukwuani language. Apeere or 'myiyo'. Myiyo is also 'sieve'. That's a mixture of ukwuani and Yoruba.

I'm from Abbi and we call onions 'alubosa'.

I did a little bit of Ukwuani history in my master's thesis, and I'll upload some of findings when I have the time.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:40pm On Apr 23, 2015
stynhaq:

Fu...ck your Ibo ideologies. My King's name is not Ikechukwu. Do a proper research.

Onye yoruba zoom off from this thread, you are comstituting a nussiance.

FYI: it is Kiagborekuzi ; Meaning - What will Agbor Say Again?
Efeizomor is of Benin extract. We also do our festivals which are not related to yours. Our monarchy is different. Way of life and language, dissimilar.

What's up with Igbo people?

Get some good history man
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 9:42pm On Apr 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I refer to my Nsukka friends as 'ndi nsukka', or my owerri neighbour as 'onye owerri', that does't mean they are not Igbo. Does it?

If a man from chelsea refers to a man from manchester as 'you this mancunian boy', does it make the mancunian non-English?

Don't be deceived. It is all in your head. Your boss only refers to you by your ethnic sub-group. The same way he would say 'this anambra boy' had you been from anambra or 'ngwa' boy had you been from 'ngwa'. Heck, when I was in owerri, people would often call me 'anambra boy' once I spoke my dialect. That does not mean I am different from them. It is only a specifc identification of where in Igboland you're from.

Well, you may not understand what I meant.

My language is influenced with igbo, yoruba, bini, isoko...

That does not make me any of those tribe.

My language, I have told anybody that quoted me today is 90% igboid.

We are an ethnic group also here in Nigeria and I can't incorporate myself into the lager igbo tribe.

My language is listed along igbo, yoruba etc as the official teaching or national curriculum.

Please, I want people to respect that.

Thanks
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Asiri1991: 9:44pm On Apr 23, 2015
Where are Ohaozara, Onicha Igboeze and Isu Okoma all in Ebonyi State?

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

I don't know where you got that from, but my daddy told me apeere is basket in Ukwuani language. Apeere or 'myiyo'. Myiyo is also 'sieve'. That's a mixture of ukwuani and Yoruba.

I'm from Abbi and we call onions 'alubosa'.

I did a little bit of Ukwuani history in my master's thesis, and I'll upload some of findings when I have the time.
Yeah myiyo is sieve I remember dat. Am from Onicha Ukwuani in Ndokwa west. Never heard about Alubosa tho.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ishilove: 9:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Ishilove, languages borrow from each other. Igbo and Yoruba share many similar words amongst each other. That does not make Igbo less Igbo or Yoruba less yoruba. Ukwuani may borrow a word or two from edo, sharing close proximity to it, it still doesn't make it less Igbo.

You have a dialect made up of over 99% Igbo words and less than 1% foreign words, and you choose to lean on those borrowed words as your tribal identity? First and foremost, why isn't bini spoken in its full form, or at least a smattering of it, anywhere in anioma if aniomas were from bini?

At least in Anioma, some Ebu people speak Igala, some Ugbodu people (the elders) speak Olukumi - these migrants to Igboland in one form or the other retained their original language. Why didn't the bini language survive like the others, if its people truly migrated en masse from bini to settle in Igboland? Why is the case of the bini suddenly different?

Igbo ex-slaves formerly destined for slavery who settled in Opobo and Bonny (formerly Ijaw speaking areas) in Rivers state maintained their language such that the language became the major language of those areas. This, being in line with the consistency in the survival of migrant languages. However, the absence of the so-called language of the Binis looks suspicious.

When I have time I will post some of my masters research findings on the Bini connection,but the fact is there was a Bini prince that once ruled the area in the 15th century (according to traditions of origin), but this influence gotlst along the way.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by leofab(f): 9:46pm On Apr 23, 2015
Nomswag:
am from ukwuani.....i love my tribe
which part of Ukwuani?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply)

Similoluwa, Sister Of Ooni’s Wife 'Steals Show' With Backside At Royal Event / Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.