Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,318 members, 7,829,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (121457 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by leofab(f): 9:47pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:
Ukwuani is not exactly igboid. There are elements of Yoruba and Edo contained therein.
lair; we share boundary with them doesnt mean there is an incursion of their culture in ours. Please quote me with proof or examples..?

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 9:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

When I have time I will post some of my masters research findings on the Bini connection,but the fact is there was a Bini prince that once ruled the area in the 15th century (according to traditions of origin), but this influence gotlst along the way.

The English ruled Nigeria for over 10 years, does that make us English?

Now, the bini empire of yore expanded their territory and when they annexed lands, they sent out their own to be kings over their conquered. Lagos was a bini empire which was ruled by a bini king (Obanikoro family lineage) from the bini empire, does that make the Yoruba natives of Lagos Binis or as having bini ancestry? Native lagosians are the aworis and eguns who acknowledge that they are yorubas who were ruled by a bini king, why is the Igbo case different?

5 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 9:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

I don't know where you got that from, but my daddy told me apeere is basket in Ukwuani language. Apeere or 'myiyo'. Myiyo is also 'sieve'. That's a mixture of ukwuani and Yoruba.

I'm from Abbi and we call onions 'alubosa'.

I did a little bit of Ukwuani history in my master's thesis, and I'll upload some of findings when I have the time.

Lol. Sieve is 'nyo' in Igbo language.

Myiyo is clearly an Igbo variation of 'nyo'.

The abiriba people of Abia state have some words of Ibibio origin in their dialect, sharing similar boundaries with the Ibibio, yet they acknowledge they are Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Joe82834(m): 9:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
BabaO2:

H-Net Announcement The Union Igbo Bible:A Centenary
Symposium Date: 2013-11-25 (Archive)
Date Submitted: 2013-08-10
Announcement ID: 205796
DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY AND INTERNATIONAL STUDIES, GREGORY UNIVERSI TY UTURU NIGERIA in Conjunction with the RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE
Cordially invite you to 3rd International Symposium tagged:

THE UNION IGBO BIBLE: A CENTENARY.
Exactly hundred years ago, the Union Igbo Bible was produced in Egbu Owerri(1913).The translation from English Bible to Igbo lasted between 1906 to 1913.The Archdeacon Dennis led committee used the Igbo dialects of Onitsha, Owerri,Bonny, Arochukwu, and Uwana. Instead of embracing Union Igbo Bible as breakthrough in Igbo language development, an attempt towards Igbo language standardization and collective means of communication of NDI IGBO, it was out rightly rejected. The Union Igbo Bible was described as artificial lingua franca (Esperanto), a language of the prayer book and the Bible. To a large extent, inter denominational rivalry aroused when the Union Igbo Bible was produced. This great disservice to appreciate Archdeacon Dennis ingenuity is unscholarly, subjective and uncalled for. Unfortunately, leading scholars have described the Union Igbo as unreadable and unacceptable. It is against this background that the following sub themes are selected but not restricted to it:
.The Role of Christian Missionaries in Igbo Language Development
. Archdeacon Dennis, Union Igbo, Anglican Communion and Other Denominations
. Esperanto Igbo language and the School Curriculum
.The Rise of Igbo Orthography
.Igbo Izugbe,(Standard Dialect)and the Igbo novelists
.Literary Criticism and the Spoken Igbo
.Igbo Nollywood,.Engli-Igbo Film and the Theatre
.Igbo Language and the fear of Extinction
Historical Perspective of Igbo Language Development
Standardization Controversy: A Review
Igbo Language and The Christian Worship

Again u read online materials. Am telling u we've always had an Igbo bible.that as a kid going to village for festive activities, d Igbo bible has always been there n u re quoting something. Are u in anyway assuming that I am lying or u don't understand what am saying

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 9:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

Now you see what I mean.

He's not proud of his culture or home town.

He should have simply said igboid speaking part of Delta.

Well, the ball is in your leg. Do to him what please you!

How do you mean? He said he was Igbo from Ukwuani group. How is that not being proud of his culture or home town?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 9:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Uche Okwukwu is a persona non grata.

That useless posturing of his is the sole reason he has never won any election he ever contested as pro-Ikwerres will never vote for someone that doesn't know where he is coming from.

Please do not include Ikwerres in Igboid whatever.We are very comfortable as Ikwerres and do not need any unnecessary association.

We should respect the sanctity of the constitution in this,
the constitution was ignorance so it need re-amendment..
lolxx
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by AudreyI(f): 10:00pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ozigbondu:
Idemili igbo is the best sounding

Chop knuckle

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by xmich(m): 10:02pm On Apr 23, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

learned fellow grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
This is what you get when an uninformed fellow is referred to as a #learned gringringringringringringringringringringrinshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked:shockedshockedshockedshocked what a mess
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lazsnaira(m): 10:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
stynhaq:

Cursed be you, your generation and all they do.

Accursed dog. You came here claiming who you're not.
The average Igbo don't care if an amaechi says his own amaechi has a sokoto ancestry, but non entities like you who can never be bold enough to represent their miserable tribe openly but hide under other peoples identity to pour out vituperations and hate will only end up accused like you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 10:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
somegirl1:

How do you mean? He said he was Igbo from Ukwuani group. How is that not being proud of his culture or home town?

Please do check the message you posted earlier.

You said he didn't disclose his identity as an ukwuani man... That he said he's an igbo.. I can quote it if you want.

If he says he's and igbo from Uknuani.. He's right.. He's an Ukwauni man and our language is 90% igboid.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Pharoh: 10:07pm On Apr 23, 2015
This topic will never end when people don't take time to understand each other and respect the wishes of other people.

To my Ukwuani peeps, ukwuani is igboid together with other related family members because of similarities in our languages. Each group is unique and independent of each other but all together in one family that could be called igboid or igbo. It is the choice of every group to go about their unique names or choose to go with the family name. Even if you go with your unique name, the family name will always be with you but in the back corner. This is what ukwuani people have decided to do from time memorial but our choice has clearly not been understood or respected to this day and hence this argument. No ukwuani has ever denied being in a family relationship with the other groups but this alienation will continue if our choice is not respected.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 10:09pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

Please do check the message you posted earlier.

You said he didn't disclose his identity as an ukwuani man... That he said he's an igbo.. I can quote it if you want.

If he says he's and igbo from Uknuani.. He's right.. He's an Ukwauni man and our language is 90% igboid.

I know exactly what I posted, appears you misunderstood.
I said he was an Ukwuani guy who claimed he was Igbo meaning that he is from Ukwuani and identifies as Igbo.
How would I have known he was from Ukwuani if he didn't mention it?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 10:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
Pharoh:
This topic will never end when people don't take time to understand each other and respect the wishes of other people.

To my Ukwuani peeps, ukwuani is igboid together with other related family members because of similarities in our languages. Each group is unique and independent of each other but all together in one family that could be called igboid or igbo. It is the choice of every group to go about their unique names or choose to go with the family name. Even if you go with your unique name, the family name will always be with you but in the back corner. This is what ukwuani people have decided to do from time memorial but our choice has clearly not been understood or respected to this day and hence this argument. No ukwuani has ever denied being in a family relationship with the other groups but this alienation will continue if our choice is not respected.

Thank you... Its just a simple logic.

Respect my wish as an Ukwuani man... Then I shall tell you, I generally fall into the igboid family.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 10:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
OneNaira6:

Comment from this guy months ago

Notice the discrepancy. When this wannabe ' s attaché by force they forget they already given another form of story before.
https://www.nairaland.com/2128093/prof-osinbajo-pledges-god-not/4#30403585

This wannabe Deltan, pick one story and STICK WITH IT. I can bet a billion dollar you are yoruba and win that bet heavyly
bros,God bless u for digging out that thief,mayb he is selling handsets in agbor..
chai that guy na thief o, stynhaq
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 10:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
somegirl1:

He said he was Igbo dear. Not Igbo speaking from Ukwuani or from the Ukwuani tribe.

This was your earlier quote ma'am.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 10:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
somegirl1:

He said he was Igbo dear. Not Igbo speaking from Ukwuani or from the Ukwuani tribe.

This was you earlier quote ma'am.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
Pharoh:

It's a relief to see more honesty and sense in this thread. I just do not get why people make this a difficult and never-ending topic. If all the posters who have so far posted in this thread had this understanding, then a list of Igbo speech forms and the respective communities would have been more easily and objectively compiled. This thread would have been a simple success story and life could continue.

4 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by veuttoutlemonde: 10:22pm On Apr 23, 2015
In other words what Igboid people (non Igbo Izugbe speakers) are saying is that they know that they are Igboid but do not want to associate or be labelled Igbo.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by kingslly(m): 10:23pm On Apr 23, 2015
What of Orlu,Nkwerre,Nwangele,Njaba etc? They have a particular dialect dat i didnt see on ur list
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:28pm On Apr 23, 2015
veuttoutlemonde:
In other words what Igboid people (non Igbo Izugbe speakers) are saying is that they know that they are Igboid but do not want to associate or be labelled Igbo.

There is no such thing as Igbo Izugbe speakers. Izugbe is an artificial dialect, and is not even a century old.

4 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 10:29pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

This was you earlier quote ma'am.

Exactly which may be broken down as follows:
He was from Ukwuani .......(1)
He claimed to be Igbo ..........(2)
He didn't claim to be merely an Igbo-speaker........(3)

If I say I'm Igbo, it doesn't make me less proud to identify with my sub-group.
I am from my sub-group first before I am Igbo.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 10:35pm On Apr 23, 2015
somegirl1:

Exactly which may be broken down as follows:
He was from Ukwuani .......(1)
He claimed to be Igbo ..........(2)
He didn't claim to be merely an Igbo-speaker........(3)

If I say I'm Igbo, it doesn't make me less proud to identify with my sub-group.
I am from my sub-group first before I am Igbo.

Woman eeeh... Una too sabi play ball...

Una dribbling skills no get part 3... Lol..

But he said he's from Ukwuani... And he speaks more of igbo.. So he's an igbo if he so wishes...
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 10:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

Lol... Thanks.

I'm not disputing the fact that our language is 90% igboid related.

I just need people to know and respect my tribe.

You can't call a Benue man Hausa... They might speak hausa or be closely related to them... That does not make them Hausa.

IF u read my post ukwuani is a tribe also with enuani even aro is a tribe all in igbo speaking ethnic group

Ur tribe is respected don't worry and ur my inlaw my wife is obiaruku ...they came or migrated from awkuzu in anambra

Do research ogo
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Pharoh: 10:40pm On Apr 23, 2015
In my opinion ukwuani people are not benin people and it is time we should try to understand these stories that has been passed down to us. We came from benin as a geographical location but not as from the people because the language we speak today is evident to that. There might have been some benin people who followed our people or people who are product of inter tribal marriages. There is nothing also special in having edo or yoruba words in our language as well. Our language is under the igbo and igboid classification so lets stick to that while still maintaining the fact that ukwauni is a language and not a dialect but 100 percent part of this igbo/igboid family.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 10:42pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

Basket- apeere
Onions- Alubosa (alubosa is actually arabic 'albaasal')
apart frm this example yu given b4.which other example do yu have?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2015
babajero:
central igbo language was curled mainly from lmo and abia, and then abia was under IMO, go and research, use google, and mbano central igbo period.
re yu from mbano?
Cos yu ve not answer my question...
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 10:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
Pharoh:

i love this
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 10:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The abiriba people of Abia state have some words of Ibibio origin in their dialect, sharing similar boundaries with the Ibibio, yet they acknowledge they are Igbo.

We caall myiyo also

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by 2kris(m): 10:49pm On Apr 23, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Op you forgot to add egomoney - any igbo dialect is not complete without money grin
are u trying to be funny
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by veuttoutlemonde: 10:50pm On Apr 23, 2015
Pharoh:
In my opinion ukwuani people are not benin people and it is time we should try to understand these stories that has been passed down to us. We came from benin as a geographical location but not as from the people because the language we speak today is evident to that. There might have been some benin people who followed our people or people who are product of inter tribal marriages. There is nothing also special in having edo or yoruba words in our language as well. Our language is under the igbo and igboid classification so lets stick to that while still maintaining the fact that ukwauni is a language and not a dialect but 100 percent part of this igbo/igboid family.

The problem lies here: ukwauni is a language and not a dialect but 100 percent part of this igbo/igboid family One cannot choose his history or rewrite history, our history is what makes us. If all the Igbo dialects mentioned by the OP are languages on their own, they would not qualify as Igboid. One can decide to change or deny his citizenship, but his history can never be denied or changed.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Pharoh: 10:52pm On Apr 23, 2015
ChinenyeN:

It's a relief to see more honesty and sense in this thread. I just do not get why people make this a difficult and never-ending topic. If all the posters who have so far posted in this thread had this understanding, then a list of Igbo speech forms and the respective communities would have been more easily and objectively compiled. This thread would have been a simple success story and life could continue.

Thank you for this and to me i really want all the languages to be preserved because they are all natural. We should endeavor to preserve all of them because it is the best access gate to know a particular group 100 percent. You cannot use ukwuani to comb the in and out of Ngwa culture, traditions and spirituality 100 percent. I don't mind if every group picks up central igbo as a second language to ease communication or learn the language of the group if you happen to stay there for a long time.

I hope one day a thread will be peaceful and we will be able to do proper documentation of all the speech forms available. There is an alarm that these language family might go extinct and threads like this shows that we might not be serious in addressing this issue. I am glad that ukwuani peeps are now making effort to revive and preserve our language, hopefully more will be done when we get our anioma state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by UnknownT: 10:53pm On Apr 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Pls I would like to know if there is any originally Igbo speaking town that had lost the Igbo language due to the influence of other language. Eg, These people that claim that they are Bini but 99% of their names, language, tradition has bin taken over by Igbo and also the Opobo/ Bonny area that speak Igbo since Igbos just came their as traders and slaves but have "taken" over the original Ibani there. I still wonder how the Igbos of then were able to influence the Igbo language on those towns without 'colonization' of the towns ( firing a shot).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply)

Similoluwa, Sister Of Ooni’s Wife 'Steals Show' With Backside At Royal Event / Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.