Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,154 members, 7,957,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:44 AM

Yoruba Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Language (599 Views)

White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Do You Know The Original Word For Wife In Yoruba Language ? / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Language by tpiadotcom: 5:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
the current wiki page gives a concise description, save for a few misconceptions here and there. Hopefully people wont go and spoil it further.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_language

Varieties

The Yoruba dialect continuum itself consists of several dialects. The various Yoruba dialects in the Yorubaland of Nigeria can be classified into three major dialect areas: Northwest, Central, and Southeast.[9] Of course, clear boundaries can never be drawn and peripheral areas of dialectal regions often have some similarities to adjoining dialects.

North-West Yoruba (NWY). Abẹokuta, Ibadan, Ọyọ, Ogun and Lagos (Eko) areas

Central Yoruba (CY) Igbomina, Yagba, Ilésà, Ifẹ, Ekiti, Akurẹ, Ẹfọn, and Ijẹbu areas.

South-East Yoruba (SEY) Okitipupa, Ilaje, Ondo, Ọwọ, Ikarẹ, Ṣagamu, and parts of Ijẹbu.

North-West Yoruba is historically a part of the Ọyọ empire. In NWY dialects, Proto-Yoruba /gh/ (the velar fricative [ɣ]) and /gw/ have merged into /w/; the upper vowels /i ̣/ and /ụ/ were raised and merged with /i/ and /u/, just as their nasal counterparts, resulting in a vowel system with seven oral and three nasal vowels. Ethnographically, traditional government is based on a division of power between civil and war chiefs; lineage and descent are unilineal and agnatic.

Re: Yoruba Language by tpiadotcom: 5:57pm On Apr 22, 2015
Central and South East Yoruba are considered older forms, although this could be debatable.
Re: Yoruba Language by tpiadotcom: 9:13pm On Apr 22, 2015
Re: Yoruba Language by absoluteSuccess: 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2015
Wow what a coincidence, I think today is Yoruba day on nairaland. grin
Re: Yoruba Language by tpiadotcom: 9:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
Does that disturb you?
Re: Yoruba Language by absoluteSuccess: 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
That's exactly my point.
Re: Yoruba Language by tpiadotcom: 10:10pm On Apr 22, 2015
I don't get it.
Re: Yoruba Language by absoluteSuccess: 10:28pm On Apr 22, 2015
Right, had it been I saw this thread early enof, I wont have need to create a thread so similar to it. For the haters, it would be like rousing their envy, sort of.
Re: Yoruba Language by tpiadotcom: 10:37pm On Apr 22, 2015
Oh, well that can't be helped.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language by tpiadotcom: 4:25pm On Apr 24, 2015
. . . . . .

(1) (Reply)

The Barbaric Masquarades(ekpo) Culture In Which Females Are Indoor For A Day / Debate Nairalanders!!! Which Is The Most Corrupt Ethnic Group In Nigeria? / Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II Discusses CDA Ban And Palace Reforms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.