Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,452 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos (18665 Views)

Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee / Tijani Usman-Shehu Stabs Yinka Dada Sadam With Bottle - Graphic Pics / 11-yr-old Wins 16th Spelling Bee Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by vizkiz: 9:42am On Apr 23, 2015
leaders of tomorrow smiley (that is if the leaders of today dies before then)
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by tucky200(m): 9:42am On Apr 23, 2015
Chai naija..just 150k...if na dance competition na million we go dey hear o

2 Likes

Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by folabayo1(f): 9:42am On Apr 23, 2015
Keep It up dear and the sky will be ur beginning

God bless ur I.Q
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by eyeon(m): 9:42am On Apr 23, 2015
Cool, but does that make her better than Akeelah?
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by MrScript(m): 9:43am On Apr 23, 2015
Wow.. Beauty with brain.. Keep it up
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by justi4jesu(f): 9:47am On Apr 23, 2015
nerodenero:
Want your child to be good in the act of writing very well, one sure way to start is dictation or spelling. It helped me growing up.

It does the magic, I love dictation even when copying notes in School those days,It also makes you write faster smiley
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by beekaymee(m): 9:49am On Apr 23, 2015
My sister did me proud love u baby!!!! …………………… ASA PALAPALA
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Emmydot90(m): 9:49am On Apr 23, 2015
She is my daughter
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by justi4jesu(f): 9:51am On Apr 23, 2015
tucky200:

Make them manage the one wey dem try see, half bread is better than puff puff
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 23, 2015
My child must be a genius. grin
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by bastien: 9:58am On Apr 23, 2015
The money too small,na wa for Lagos state government
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by bastien: 9:59am On Apr 23, 2015
tucky200:
I be think say na only me see am
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by VickyRotex(f): 10:03am On Apr 23, 2015
Big congrats to you Miss.... kiss kiss

God Bless your IQ more and more...

150k seems small, but its a beginning of greater things to come...

Afterall no amount can ever compensate one for our God given brains.
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 23, 2015
Am sure if it is beauty contest d winner wud av been given 2.5million and a range rover........JUST #150000. we value beauty pass brain,,,,,,dats why we av BEAUTY and beast as d former first lady
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by DExplorer1: 10:06am On Apr 23, 2015
Hey dear, and your dream of becoming a Medical doctor shall be fulfilled.

1 Like

Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by kendraloops(f): 10:08am On Apr 23, 2015
adebisiema:
plz front page.

Besides these Igbos are ungrateful. I hate them with passion. How can you reap where u did not sow? Ungrateful Lots!!!

Wetin concern igbo inside this one now? You'll just be whipping up sentiments over nothing. Hate them but they're prosperous. I'm not igbo but i love their spirit die.

Stop hating my dear.

1 Like

Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by GodMode: 10:17am On Apr 23, 2015
$

1 Like

Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by anonimi: 10:18am On Apr 23, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:
Lagos – Boluwatife Tijani, a 12-year-old pupil of Araromi Primary School, Agege, on Wednesday emerged the winner in the 2015 Spelling Bee competition in Lagos State.

Tijani, a Primary Six pupil, competed with 56 other contestants representing the 20 local government areas and 37 local council development areas in the state in the competition held in Ikeja.

Ten-year-old Iretiola Ifaniyi, a Primary Five pupil of Methodist Primary School, Ibese, came second while 10-year-old Jonathan Arowodu of Akesan Primary School came third.

The winners received N150, 000, N100, 000 and N75, 000 respectively from the state government.

Great news particularly the fact that the three winners are from what I suspect are PUBLIC schools.
We should encourage more of such competitions.
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Deputyvictor(m): 10:20am On Apr 23, 2015
I coudn't have bother maiself reading it, just coz of the age I saw I thought she competed with ppl older than her....

Well gud for her,her parent and her school..

Dis is to the poster learn how to post approprately, not just post coz u want to draw ppl's attention.

Once again congratulations to the winners.
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 23, 2015
adebisiema:
plz front page.

Besides these Igbos are ungrateful. I hate them with passion. How can you reap where u did not sow? Ungrateful Lots!!!
congratulations you just lost ur brain

1 Like

Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by bukatyne(f): 10:22am On Apr 23, 2015
Good one girl cheesy

Keep making your parents proud.
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by tgbemy4life: 10:23am On Apr 23, 2015
]

please what is the essence of being the first to comment?
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Ariyke: 10:24am On Apr 23, 2015
Congrat kids u are going places

*wonder why pageant earns one money than this* *enters wonderland*
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by GodMode: 10:27am On Apr 23, 2015
$
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by cute9jaguy(m): 10:38am On Apr 23, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:
Lagos – Boluwatife Tijani, a 12-year-old pupil of Araromi Primary School, Agege, on Wednesday emerged the winner in the 2015 Spelling Bee competition in Lagos State.

Tijani, a Primary Six pupil, competed with 56 other contestants representing the 20 local government areas and 37 local council development areas in the state in the competition held in Ikeja.

Ten-year-old Iretiola Ifaniyi, a Primary Five pupil of Methodist Primary School, Ibese, came second while 10-year-old Jonathan Arowodu of Akesan Primary School came third.

The winners received N150, 000, N100, 000 and N75, 000 respectively from the state government.

Mrs Ronke Soyombo, Director-General, Office of Education Quality Assurance, said that the competition was aimed at developing the innate skills of pupils and students.

Soyombo said the competition had been able to fulfill the ultimate goal of creating healthy rivalry amongst students as well as drawing out their intellectual capabilities.

She said that the agency had already set in motion machineries aimed at improving the quality of education in Lagos.

The Director-General said that the competition was the brainchild of the former first lady of the state, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu, the founder of New Era Foundation.

“The idea of spelling competition, conceived in 2006 to encourage academic excellence, was adopted by the Lagos State Ministry of Education.

“The competition has helped students/pupils improve their spelling skills, increase vocabulary and develop correct English usage,’’ she said.

According to her, it is also creating good reading habits that will lead to better academic performance and boost the confidence of participants.

She said this was with a view to preparing the pupils/students for future endeavours and igniting the spirit of competition among them.

Some of the winners who spoke to NAN commended the state government for introducing the competition.

Tijani said that she studied the dictionary very well in order to emerge the winner.

“I am very happy and excited, I always read my dictionary and I thank God that I won the first position.

“My parents are traders; they support me in all that I do.
“I will spend my money on my studies because I want to become a medical doctor,’’ she said.

Ifaniyi said that she read her English textbooks and dictionary everyday to improve her spelling ability.

“I am very happy for winning the second position; I won with the help of my parents and teachers.

“I thank my mother, she sells recharge cards and support me in everything I do,’’ she said.

The class teacher of Tijani, Mrs Olubumi Adewunmi, said she was happy with the success recorded by her pupil.

Adewunmi, an English teacher, said the competition had improved the performance of students.

“She has made our school proud today; this is the first time we are winning the competition.

“We expected her to win because we coached her very well for the competition.

“She is a very outstanding girl in the school, she participated in all activities in class,’’ she said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/12-year-old-girl-wins-spelling-bee-competition-in-lagos/

cc lalasticlala

@lalasticlala : Please can you correct the 2nd runner up is from Abesan pry school in Mosan/Okunola and not Akesan as reported. Tnx.
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Crieff(m): 10:42am On Apr 23, 2015
adebisiema:
plz front page.

Verily verily, this is a goat.
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Agbele1(m): 10:46am On Apr 23, 2015
Congrats,but i think the money should be increase to 500,000 ,300,000 and 200,000 respectively.

Eko o ni baje
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Fynpatra(f): 10:52am On Apr 23, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:

Mrs Ronke Soyombo, Director-General, Office of Education Quality Assurance, said that the competition was aimed at developing the innate skills of pupils and students.

Soyombo said the competition had been able to fulfill the ultimate goal of creating healthy rivalry amongst students as well as drawing out their intellectual capabilities.

She said that the agency had already set in motion machineries aimed at improving the quality of education in Lagos.

The Director-General said that the competition was the brainchild of the former first lady of the state, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu, the founder of New Era Foundation.

“The idea of spelling competition, conceived in 2006 to encourage academic excellence, was adopted by the Lagos State Ministry of Education.

“The competition has helped students/pupils improve their spelling skills, increase vocabulary and develop correct English usage,’’ she said.

According to her, it is also creating good reading habits that will lead to better academic performance and boost the confidence of participants.

She said this was with a view to preparing the pupils/students for future endeavours and igniting the spirit of competition among them.

Some of the winners who spoke to NAN commended the state government for introducing the competition.

Tijani said that she studied the dictionary very well in order to emerge the winner.

“I am very happy and excited, I always read my dictionary and I thank God that I won the first position.

“My parents are traders; they support me in all that I do.
“I will spend my money on my studies because I want to become a medical doctor,’’ she said.

Ifaniyi said that she read her English textbooks and dictionary everyday to improve her spelling ability.

“I am very happy for winning the second position; I won with the help of my parents and teachers.

“I thank my mother, she sells recharge cards and support me in everything I do,’’ she said.

The class teacher of Tijani, Mrs Olubumi Adewunmi, said she was happy with the success recorded by her pupil.

Adewunmi, an English teacher, said the competition had improved the performance of students.

“She has made our school proud today; this is the first time we are winning the competition.

“We expected her to win because we coached her very well for the competition.

“She is a very outstanding girl in the school, she participated in all activities in class,’’ she said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/12-year-old-girl-wins-spelling-bee-competition-in-lagos/

cc lalasticlala
.....dat na gud news....next gudnews pls!
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by Bants(m): 10:55am On Apr 23, 2015
Is that not the correct age to participate in spelling bee cos i know is not a teenager event
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by cute9jaguy(m): 11:34am On Apr 23, 2015
A correction to this story please: 2nd runner up is a pupil of Abesan Pry school in our own Mosan/Okunola and not Akesan as earlier sent. Boluwatife Tijani, a 12-year-old pupil of Araromi Primary School, Agege, on Wednesday emerged the winner in the 2015 Spelling Bee competition in Lagos State.

Ten-year-old Iretiola Ifaniyi, a Primary Five pupil of Methodist Primary School, Ibese, came second while 10-year-old Jonathan Arowodu of Abesan Primary School in Mosan/Okunola came third.

Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by pak: 11:41am On Apr 23, 2015
tinkinjow:
Congrats to her.
OP please learn to report events appropriately. When u say 12 year old as part of the heading, it would appear as if she competed with people much older than she is. Her name could've been better or her school. Then her age will come in in the actual write up.

But it's okay if they were 15 or 20 year olds there.

Chai, you are very intelligent.
When I see Nigerians reason like this, it restores my hope in the future of this country.

Let me know if and when you decide to go for an elective position, I will be one of your supporters !
Re: Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos by adwem2003(m): 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
Imagine N150k only, but if it is singing or beauty show, they will give them car.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Abuja Shut Down / Ahmadu Bello University,zaria Post Utme 2014/2015 Result Is Out!!! / Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.