Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Satan: Angel Or Jinn? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Satan: Angel Or Jinn? (926 Views)

Uebert Angel Buys Lamborghini For His Wife For Valentine (Photos) / Could This Be An Angel Or UFO? (photo) / Winners Chapel Aka Living Faith Glorify Satan, Illuminati And Freemasonry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Satan: Angel Or Jinn? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Apr 23, 2015
Jews and Christians assume that Satan was an Angel, even though the Bible never directly claimed that Satan was actually an Angel. Also, the Bible never really talked about how Satan became bad and why? At least the Bible never actually talked about Satan during Adam and Eve's times. Aside from the brief story of Eve's temptation to eat the forbidden fruit, it began talking about Satan, in good details, during Ezra's and then latter Job's (Ayyoob in Arabic) period, 1000's of years after Adam.

Let us look at the first occurrence of Satan in the Bible:

"Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel. So David said to Joab and the commanders of the troops, 'Go and count the Israelites from Beersheba to Dan. Then report back to me so that I may know how many there are.' (From the NIV Bible, 1 Chronicles 21:1-2)"

It is assumed that Ezra was the author of the books of Chronicles in the Bible as discussed in the "Are the books of Chronicles really valid?" section below.

Let us look at little more details about Satan, where he is assumed (without real facts) to be an Angel by the Jews and Christians:

"One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face." The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD. One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship. (From the NIV Bible, Job1:6-20)"

Jews and Christians assume that Satan was an Angel from Job 1:6. Notice in that verse, Satan was not really identified as an Angel. It says that GOD Almighty called upon the Angels, and that Satan came with them. He could've been anything other than the Angels, a Jinn for instance as Islam claims, and pushed himself with the crowd of the Angels. "

Job 1:6 does not explicitly say that Satan was an Angel. This is only a Jewish-Christian assumption. Notice how it says "and Satan also came with them", which clearly proves that Satan does not necessarily have to be an Angel.

Also notice in Job 1:8, "Have you considered my servant Job?", which clearly shows that the earliest information the Bible has about Satan was not during Adam and Eve's times, but as I said above during Ezra's and then latter Job's times, which literally came 1000's of years after Adam and Eve.

SATAN IN ISLAM

Satan in Islam is not the same satan in the bible. The Satan of Islam was a "Jinn", created from fire as all Jinns were and still are. Angels were and still are created from light. While Angels and Jinns are considered "Angels" in Islam, because they were created from the same material (fire is light, and light is fire), but Jinns are lower than the Angels, because Jinns are like humans; they do sin, while the Angels are perfect and Sinless. The similarity between Angels and Jinns is like the similarity between humans and animals. Created from almost the same material, but two different WORLDS.

Anyway, satan's original name in the Noble Quran was Iblis:

Let us look at the following Noble Verses from the Noble Quran:

Adam was first created on Earth: "Behold, thy Lord said to the Angels: 'I will create a vicegerent On earth".(The Noble Quran, 2:34)"

Iblis became Satan: "Behold! We said to the Angels, 'Bow down to Adam': they bowed down except Iblis. He was One of the Jinns, and he broke the Command of his Lord....(The Noble Quran, 18:50)"

"It is We Who Created you and gave you shape; then We bade the Angels bow down to Adam, and they bowed down; not so Iblis; he refused to be of those who bow down. (Allah) said: 'What prevented thee from bowing down when I commanded thee? He said: 'I am better than he: Thou didst create me from fire, and him from clay. (Allah) said: 'Get thee down from this: it is not for thee to be arrogant here: get out, for thou art of the meanest (of creatures). He said: 'Give me respite till the day they are raised up. (Allah) said: 'Be thou amongst those who have respite.' He said: 'Because thou hast thrown me out of the Way, lo! I will lie in wait for them on thy Straight Way: Then will I assault them from before them and behind them, from their right and their left: Nor wilt Thou find, in most of them, gratitude (of Thy mercies).' (Allah) said: 'Get out from this, disgraced and expelled. If any of them follow thee - Hell will I fill with you all. (The Noble Quran, 11-18)"

Iblis was a Jinn who was raised and lived with the Angels. He is a powerful Jinn, and Allah Almighty loved him so much that He treated him like an Angel, until Iblis broke Allah Almighty's Commands and turned into Satan and was expelled with disgrace from the Group of the Angels and from Paradise.

Before anyone ignorantly starts quoting verses of the Quran where he thinks that when God was referring to Angels he was referring to satan as well. That is why I warn that ignorant people must never interpret the Quran if they do not know the literally method of translation and interpretation, please read the note below.

NOTE: The English translation of the first part of the verse ‘We said to the angels bow down to Adam: they bowed down except Iblis’, gives us the impression that Iblis was an angel. The Qur’an was revealed in Arabic. In Arabic grammar there is a rule known as Tagleeb, according to which, if the majority is addressed, even the minority is included. If for example, I address a class containing 100 students of whom 99 are boys and one is a girl, and if I say in Arabic that the boys should stand up, it includes the girl as well. I need not mention her separately.

Similarly in the Qur’an, when Allah addressed the angels, even Iblis was present, but it is not required that he be mentioned separately. Therefore according to that sentence Iblis may be an angel or may not be an angel, but we come to know from Surah Al Kahf chapter 18 verse 50 that Iblis was a Jinn. No where does the Qur’an say Iblis was an angel. Therefore there is no contradiction in the Qur’an.

My question is, do christians really believe that an Angel, that God created to be perfect rebelled? Are christians implying God the most high and most powerful made a mistake in creation? Which version of the two stories above makes sense?

Please if you have anything to add be sure to provide evidences.
Re: Satan: Angel Or Jinn? by simplex2: 3:43pm On Apr 23, 2015
EzioAuditore:

Please if you have anything to add be sure to provide evidences.

Will my comic books and dvd on spiderman be enough?

1 Like

Re: Satan: Angel Or Jinn? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
simplex2:

Will my comic books and dvd on spiderman be enough?

I think the problem with plonkers like you is that you are too manky to be able to be part of a serious discussion. Gormless wazzocks like you live a miserable life, so you go around hiding your low self esteem by trying to be funny or unserious. You can't hide the fact that you're dead from the neck up, your banter can't hide the fact that you are a minger, daft as a bush prat.! So please if you know you're dead from the neck up, piss off! Twitty ankle biters should also FOH! Okay thanks.
Re: Satan: Angel Or Jinn? by simplex2: 4:50pm On Apr 23, 2015
EzioAuditore:

I think the problem with plonkers like you is that you are too manky to be able to be part of a serious discussion. Gormless wazzocks like you live a miserable life, so you go around hiding your low self esteem by trying to be funny or unserious. You can't hide the fact that you're dead from the neck up, your banter can't hide the fact that you are a minger, daft as a bush prat.! So please if you know you're dead from the neck up, piss off! Twitty ankle biters should also FOH! Okay thanks.

Shudders undecided undecided

Shudders again... undecided undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

Should I Join Them? / Types Of Miracle Seekers In The World. / Funny: Happy Sunday Nairalanders (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.