Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? (25436 Views)

ED / Herbal Tea That Cures Erectile dysfunctions: Premature Expulsion, Weak Organ,Etc / Can Excercise Really Cause Weight Loss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by englishmart(m): 8:59pm On Apr 23, 2015
Adesiji77:
You may not think that common household products can cause erectile dysfunction but there is evidence to suggest that certain chemicals may do just that. VICTOR OKEKE writes.

While singing in the shower, have you ever stopped to think that the soap you’re using may be affecting your erections? Probably not, but the truth is that chemicals common in many antibacterial soaps may affect your ability to produce or maintain an erection.

Benefits largely unproven

Many of us fear the unseen bacteria lurking almost everywhere. Because of this, we often look for “antibacterial” labels on products while shopping in the hope of keeping ourselves and our children healthy. Much of this fear has been created by the producers of these commercial goods, with advertising insisting that we need these products to avoid becoming ill. The truth of the matter is that the benefits of using antibacterial products are largely unproven, according to a statement by the US Federal Drug Administration (FDA).

Manufacturers need to add certain chemicals during the production process to make products “antibacterial”. Such chemicals can be found in many consumer products such as soap, toothpaste, kitchenware and even toys, but may actually be more harmful than we think.

Triclosan is one of the chemicals used for antibacterial properties. Beyond Pesticide explains that it is predominantly absorbed through the skin, from soap, body washes and lotions or through the lining of the mouth, from toothpaste or food exposed to the chemical.

It has been linked to an increased risk of allergies, eczema and asthma in children. It is also considered to be a potential endocrine disruptor. This means that research has indicated that it could potentially affect hormone functioning in the human body.

Bacterial resistance to triclosan has been shown during research although further studies are needed to show what effect it would have on bacterial resistance in a normal environment, The Encyclopaedia of Earth explains. The FDA states that certain antibacterial ingredients such as triclosan may actually be linked to bacterial resistance to antibiotics.

Triclosan and male sexual health

The results of 2008 study published in the Oxford Journal of Toxicology Sciences, suggest that exposure to Triclosan can affect certain hormone levels. The study exposed rats to triclosan at a concentration of 5ml per 100g body mass. The researchers found that the rats exposed to triclosan had significantly lower testosterone levels than the control group.

Another study into rats conducted by The Indian Institute of Technology’s Department of Biotechnology showed that exposure to triclosan over a 60 day period resulted in lower sperm production.

While researchers are yet to conduct similar studies in humans, experts are advocating the removal of triclosan from consumer products because of the multiple risks it could pose to our health.

What effects can lower testosterone have?

Testosterone is the main male sex hormone and is responsible for sexual function. Low testosterone levels can have a number of effects on a man. Some symptoms are poor sleep, irritability, depressed mood, poor muscle tone and increased body fat, especially around the stomach.

Sexually, it can result in a lower sex drive, shrinking testes, abnormal sperm production and erectile dysfunction.

Should I change my soap?

The FDA is conducting further research into triclosan to determine what effects the chemical could have in humans, so for now, the decision lies with you really.

Legally, manufacturers using triclosan are required to list it as an ingredient on the product’s label. If you are worried about chemicals and your health, simply avoid purchasing products that contain it.

Just as many people are neurotic about germs, it is easy to become similarly anxious about chemicals. Unfortunately in today’s world we simply are exposed to many more chemicals than the generations before us. It is possible to reduce your exposure by adopting an organic lifestyle but even then, chemicals cannot be avoided entirely.

http://leadership.ng/style/427158/could-your-soap-really-cause-erectile-dysfunction
OYO
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by absoluteSuccess: 8:59pm On Apr 23, 2015
well chemical composition of some pomades can interfere with human chemistry.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by begwong: 9:00pm On Apr 23, 2015
I use DUDU OSUN soap!
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Apr 23, 2015
Civilisation has its price!

Will be back!
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by mechanics(m): 9:08pm On Apr 23, 2015
Fallacies.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by 30secs(m): 9:09pm On Apr 23, 2015
So, na Dudu Osun make we dey bath?!
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by solayd(m): 9:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
Wettin man go do now
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by frisky2good(m): 9:15pm On Apr 23, 2015
Make I rush go buy ose dudu because I value my erection pass my life undecided

Wetin be attention? I say e.rection. NL carry time o.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by fergieboy: 9:16pm On Apr 23, 2015

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Ithee(m): 9:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
*in the market after reading this*

me: mama abeg give me salt N200

mama: party dey tomorrow abi?

Me: no, them say antibacteria soap no good again. So na to dey use salt now

mama: Kemi, come carry this bucket of salt go house ooooo! Na wetin una go dey use baf be dat o
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Deputyvictor(m): 9:46pm On Apr 23, 2015
Lol, guy you funny
waiting the person do you?
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Stevosty: 10:31pm On Apr 23, 2015
The info is contradictory, don't use but it has not be proven, everyday lagos life you no use anti-bacteria soap, your body go be bacteria museum na.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by bosa1(m): 10:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
For erectile dysfunction you need a bottle of ruzu bitters

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55pD_M7A-o></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by oluwasegun007(m): 10:51pm On Apr 23, 2015
I really don't use some of this anti-bacteria soap....because I've used some in the past that make my balls HOT when bathing
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by kachnov(m): 10:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
For those on the soap side of life.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by JuanDeDios: 11:01pm On Apr 23, 2015
Abeg, is there triclosan in dudu osun?
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by gmacnoms(m): 11:15pm On Apr 23, 2015
So, our abuNna no safe again. okay, contunu. Diaris God
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Bowaley17(m): 11:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ok
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by habeeblai244(m): 12:15am On Apr 24, 2015
Can someOne Summarize all that.
:p
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by mikron(m): 12:29am On Apr 24, 2015
if we follow Doctors we no go use anything for this earth, haba,
oil- too much colestrol
sugar- mbanu. e no good
red meat- mabanu its bad
chocolate- spoils the teeth
and now soaps might harm our perfomance. haba wetin happen? cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 3:48am On Apr 24, 2015
Vorp:
This one don use soap self service tire the thing don rebete he no fit stand again grin

First to comment on nairaland just within three days on this site,well ashawo self na virgin for new area.

Back to the op..Stop self Servicing!!
little 1da ur name is VORP!
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Osakah24(m): 8:39am On Apr 24, 2015
I rushed to my eva soap carton and my oral b contents to look for thir trico-wetin wetin,i com dey see many tri tri,but none was triclosan,i begin dance shoki(no soapon fashioned against me shall prosper).thank God for nigerian soap and vaseline.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by anasey(m): 8:46am On Apr 24, 2015
huummmm
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by stevecantrell: 10:23am On Apr 24, 2015
I use triclosan soaps, but only to wash my face.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Miral123(m): 10:51am On Apr 24, 2015
What you eat may have an effect on your penile muscles. An important mineral can help you out. Visit http://www.miralpharmablog.com/2015/01/the-multitasked-mineral.html for more.
Feel free to comment and share page with friends
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Miral123(m): 11:22am On Apr 24, 2015
What you eat may also have an effect on your penile muscles. An important mineral can help you out. Visit http://www.miralpharmablog.com/2015/01/the-multitasked-mineral.html for more.
Feel free to comment and share page with friends
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:24am On Apr 24, 2015
team black soap + honey + quick action wink wink cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by hefty4real(m): 3:38pm On Apr 24, 2015
Biafranqueen ur attention is needed here! shocked
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 24, 2015
lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Who Survived Fire Mishap Celebrates 1 Year Anniversary (Photos) / White Man In Lagos Presents Crutches To Physically Challenged Girl (Photo) / Ned Nwoko Declares State Of Emergency On Malaria, Insists On Fumigating Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.